UK favored by 3 over Western Kentucky

The lines are out for the first week of college football and BetOnline has your University of Kentucky Wildcats as a 3-point favorite over Western Kentucky. The season opening Stoops-Petrino clash will be played in Nashville on Saturday, August 31.

Cue the sirens.

Article written by Drew Franklin

32 Comments for UK favored by 3 over Western Kentucky

1. Assassin number 2
    1:15 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

oh great here we go again…

2. the anti cat
    1:18 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

coaching staff – wku
    talent – slight edge uk
    home field – neutral
    intangibles – wku
    Take the toppers and the points

3. Dr. Funke
    1:30 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

UK shoud have won by 14 last season.

4. SuckItRed
    1:33 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

no Joker = UK +14

5. Factual caftan
    1:34 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

Anti…before you say WKU has edge in coaches…are comparing assistants? Can you name one
    WKU assistant? What intangibles are you talking about?

6. the anit cat
    1:42 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

5 – give me a few minutes to Google it, then I’ll be back to argue. Actually, who cares what I think, I’m a Tard4Life

7. The Gambler
    1:45 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

I gamble for a living … and I just pounded UK -3.
    The lines at betonline are HORRIBLE. They are WAY off on a lot of games when first released. This line will change once other bookmakers assign the games.

WKU lost a lot of talent. UK should win by 10-13

8. Factual caftan
    1:49 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

Anti….that’s what I thought.

9. I can
    1:59 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

#5 the secondary coach is Mike Cassity, who along with Summers are a couple UK assts from last year I would not have minded being kept onboard by Stoops. Regardless UK talent is not good unless this incoming class can help right off the bat. John Clay of LHL wrote a week or so ago that he attended both UK and WKU spring practices and it appeared to him that WKU is currently the better team. I’ll give you one intangible….you know Petrino is dying to beat UK. He never liked us and we didn’t sniff at hiring him, so you can bet he’s been game planning this one for weeks already. I think that line is about right.

10. Louisville1Cal4
    2:01 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

Cats by 14+! If the offense is as easy to pick up & run as what CNB says then I see no reason why we shouldn’t run WKU off the field in the 3rd or 4th Q with the talent they lost/talent we bring in.

11. This Is It...
    2:11 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

CATS by 3 TDS…JP..RS..RM are no longer on the sidelines…

12. catlogic15
    2:12 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

I will bet my wife and my dog that we win by +14. And no way in hell would I risk losing my dog.

13. I can
    2:14 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

#10 lol, one question….what point spread did you predict last year when the game was at Commonwealth? UK by 21? Stoops has barely got the ship pointed in the right direction, much less got it underway. Amazing how the bookies’ lines are always so much more accurate than fan predictions from either side. I would be happy to win by a field goal.

14. whocares
    2:34 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

Who cares……

15. StoopsoverEverything
    2:36 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

@ I can say… Summers is at USC, he wsn’t at WKU for a full month.

16. jake the snake
    2:37 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

Who cares that you don’t care….

17. Oogie
    2:46 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

#5… my guess is that by “intangibles” he means “they got Petrino”

18. BoobyPsNeckBrace
    3:02 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

WKU by 7 in regulation. Stupes has for sale signs in his yard within 5 minutes of end of game.

19. ThankfulCat
    3:21 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

Crack kills boys.

Kentucky will score a lot on these boys.
    WKU will get their share but UK outscores them in the 2nd half

UK 38
    WKU 30

I bet your farm

20. ryan
    3:36 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

I don’t think that pic of LP Field is a high enough resolution.

21. Dark Helmet
    4:08 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

Newsflash WKU didn’t lose much talent last year – they still have Antonio Andrews #1 NCAA Rusher/All purpose yards, Andrew Jackson #1 Inside Linebacker, Dowling (3 picks vs UK), will upgrade at QB, and will return most of their team’s impact players minus Q Smith and their tight end. Double Newsflash – they have better coaches this year. If UK wins this year vs WKU it will show a huge improvement because WKU will be as good or better than last year.

22. ikeeveready
    4:10 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

Haters.

Don’t forget, Max Smith was nationally ranked coming in and had BY FAR the most nightmare game a QB could have with 4 INTs with 3 on our side of the field. He was also playing behind an O’line that, while experienced and thought to be a strength, hadn’t played together all spring and summer due to injury. We also had two fumbles, albeit recovered by the cats, that killed drives.

Our defense upfront and new offense should take care of business.

Cats by 8-10 easy.

23. R U Nuttz
    4:17 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

#22 if an SEC QB throws 4 int’s vs. a Sun Belt team,more than anything that tells me he should NOT have been nationally ranked. He is not a true SEC QB. 12-14th ranked in the SEC alone.

24. Dark Helmet
    4:28 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

19) The cold reality is for Jalen Whitlow (I think he’ll be the starter) to put up 38 points means that he has to throw or rush for more touchdowns than he did all of last season in one game if your score holds true (Whitlow had a total of 6 TD’s last year). Like I said this game will be a real good litmus test to see if UK has improved.

25. pike 96
    4:35 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

#21…Newsflash for you. WKU lost there starting QB who wasnt a gamebreaker by any means but a multiyear starter. Has the guy replacing him even started a college game? No way you can call that an upgrade from day one even if he has more talent. lost a very good tight end and starting wide receiver. For the D, WKU lost its ENTIRE Dline(and top DT backup). including a VERY good Q Smith who is in the NFL and will not be replaced anytime soon. along with another linebacker. Doublenews flash- You a delusional if you think WKU has more talent than they did last year. Cats by at least 10

26. I like the valuable info you provide for your articles. I’ll bookmark your blog and test once more right here regularly. I’m slightly sure I will be told lots of new stuff proper here! Best of luck for the following!

27. the anit cat
    6:32 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

5, 6 is an imposter. Actually the WKU coaching staff is pretty decent. I believe they took Mike Summers from UK, who also coached at UL under Bobby P. Jeff Brohm is their off co-ord. Not sure but they also hired a few more assistance who used to coach under bobby as well. The fact that he is an experienced head coach, with assistants under him who knew going in what to expect gives him an edge. Stoops and his coaching staff may turn out to be better, in which case UK got one hell of a coach but based on actual track record, WKU gets the edge. Yes, I am a card fan. Looking forward to all our match ups this coming year, including of course basketball at Rupp.

28. Duke sucks
    6:34 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

25 I thnk you are the one dreaming! If UKs talent is better its not much. And let’s call it like it is in all fairness to stoops Patrino’s on the field abilities have never been questioned. Patrino is a top shelf coach and will have WKU ready. I hope UK pulls it out but WKU has every thing going their way! I don’t see how anyone thinks this is a easy win unless they are drowning on Blue Kool-aid. This is a pickem game at best!

29. jake blue
    6:43 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

Newsflash for 1-28. This game is a tossup. Hence the only 3 point spread 3 1/2 months before the game. Make your case as you will, but a win by WKU or UK would not suprise anyone who follows college football.

30. You Kiddin?
    9:16 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

LISTEN UP: For every UK fan out there that keeps saying “WKU lost so much talent,” you are talking out your @ss! WKU lost some players on the D-Line, sure. They are returning almost ALL their starters, and the ones that they did lose have been replaced by someone BETTER than before. We return the RB who almost set the all time NCAACFB record for yards, and the #1 MLB pick in the 2014 NFL draft. WKU DID NOT LOSE TALENT, they GAINED talent. In addition, they gained experienced talent while UKs great (and I’ll admit, it is a GREAT) recruiting class will hardly be used in the 2013-2014 year. I’m not saying the TOPS will blow UK out of the water like they should have last year (which they did do, up until the end of the first half), but it will be close. I can see this game going either way for sure, but I am giving the TOPS the edge, not only because I am a TOPS fan, but if you look at this match-up with an unbiased eye, it’s pretty clear.

Keep in mind Petrino has been focusing on this game since day 1, and so have the players. TOPS will be a LOT more prepared for this match-up than UK will be; you can bet on that. My prediction? WKU by 6.

31. Mel from New Albany
    9:50 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

52-17 UK. I don’t care about Petrino, joker, Darren horn, tubby, or Liberace. This is an sec team running an up tempo offense versus a team from the sun belt. The talent joker left was far superior than what evil kanevil inherited at western. Joker could coach his way out of a paper bag.

32. fan fan
    11:24 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

31 is the most accurate of u all. If u really know football this is blowout city. UK has at least 10 NFL players on the roster. WKU maybe one