UK Fans of the Weekend Want a Weekend Wrapup

catfans2

Saturday’s game was boring. But after watching Duke lose to Florida State, Ohio State struggle with Penn State, Kansas escape Nebraska and Florida lose to South Carolina, sometimes boring is good. Seeing as how it is Sunday night, it makes for a good time to wrap up the weekend and look towards the next week in UK land. A few thoughts on four topics:

BIG WEEK ON THE ROAD IN THE SEC: I wasn’t shocked that UK lost to Georgia. As showcased by the Bulldogs shellacking of Ole Miss this weekend, Georgia is good and Mark Fox is the best coach in America that no one ever talks about. The two wins this weekend at home are fairly worthless, as Auburn and LSU combine to be the worst SEC duo since Dennis Felton and Joey Waldrop held down the court in Athens. But this is the week that we see what UK is made of going into the rest of conference play. Why do I say that? Well road games at Alabama and South Carolina are both games that a team with March ambitions should win. It is acceptable to drop a game on the road against Florida, Vandy, Tennessee, Georgia or even the talented Mississippi State. But Alabama and South Carolina are mediocre and if your team has the talent to make a March run, you have to win games like this on the road. Both teams will have a good crowd and Columbia specifically has been a place where UK has seen its share of troubles. But, this Kentucky team is substantially better than both the Tide and the Gamecocks, and neither has a Devon Downey type figure who can take over a game. Very good to great teams win these games. The Cats should finish 2-0 and tell us that we can begin getting our hopes up for March.

UK BASKETBALL RECRUITING: After nearly nine months of little to no news on the recruiting front, we will begin to see a lot of movement on the Calipari front. First and foremost is the saga of Mississippi State transfer Twany Beckham. On Saturday, a source told KSR that UK is considering adding Beckham as either a walk-on or scholarship player (to be determined) and that we will likely know whether he will join the team this week. Beckham would not be eligible until next Christmas and would be brought on to provide point guard depth. If you dont remember Beckham, he was once recruited by Billy Clyde and is from Louisville, having played at Ballard. I think UK is interested in Beckham because they believe that he will give experience at a position that UK could (if Brandon Knight were to leave) not have a great deal of depth in next year. Whether the transfer works out remains to be seen, but is an interesting move to me and one I didnt see coming.

As for the 2012 class, I was again told by a source this week that UK has a list of 8 players that are its major targets at this point. Archie Goodwin, Perry Ellis, Shabazz Muhammad, Andre Drummond, Alex Murphy, Dejuan Coleman, LJ Rose and Kaleb Tarczewski represent the eight players that I am told have UK offers and are the primary targets for the class. Of course new players may arise and I am not certain this is the exhaustive list of offers (in fact, I would guess it isnt), but it is the group that will get the primary focus. I believe UK feels very good about Goodwin, confident about Ellis, Coleman and Muhammad, loves the project of Tarczewski and feels like work needs to be done to get Drummond, Murphy or Rose. But as the days go along these next 2-3 weeks, I think you may see some movement with these guys and potentially the first trigger pull for UK (at least that would be the hope).

UK FOOTBALL: It has been an odd momentum week for Joker Phillips, with the awful football game last Saturday followed by a so-so press conference performance and the loss of a recruit to Notre Dame. But then a switched commitment from Purdue to UK turned a bit of momentum and we learned today that Lamar Dawson will pick a school on Signing Day at a press conference in Boyle County…which we hope Larry Vaught tells us about on his new Verizon Droid. I only add UK football to say this. I see lots of comments everywhere and many calls come to my show suggesting that I am down on Joker or dont like him for the job. That isnt true. I think Joker can do well at UK and I hope that he does. I do think some major changes need to be made in the coming months and I hope they happen before next season. But I will add this. I spoke with Randall Cobb at the game on Saturday and interviewed him for KSTV and he told me that he believes Joker will have the program where it needs to be. He said, the difference is players and there will be even more better ones coming this year. If Randall is confident, then I will be too.

JERRY TIPTON: I wont link Jerry’s column, because at this point it isnt worth it. But I do find it hilarious that Tipton tried to explain his absurd decision last Sunday to print a North Carolina college student’s list of the programs he felt were the dirtiest. In explaining his decision to include said list (which I am CONFIDENT Jerry thought was from a real writer and he didnt know was from a random college kid until Beisner pointed it out on this website), he said it was important to let fans know that not everyone thought UK was a great program. Thanks Jerry…none of us could have known that Kentucky didnt have 100% national support. In my conversations with the Herald Leader folks, they always express bewilderment as to how anyone could think Jerry is negative (I promise, they really do). For a writer who has NEVER mentioned KSR in his column (or any other pro-UK site that I am aware of), to randomly take the writings of a UNC college student on a blog and make it a feature in not one, but TWO weekly columns, well that tells us something. Jerry can write what he wants…and he is very good at what he does. But OF COURSE he is negative, and the last two weeks have prove that…if you want the local paper to have a beat writer who looks for blog posts negative about the local program, so be it. But then dont be surprised when your readers go to other outlets, such as the KSRs of the world for their UK coverage.

I also want to commend all the writers here on the site. Beisner and the crew are doing amazing and as the KSR owner, I am very happy with how things are going in the first month of the new regime. The site’s numbers stayed strong and the transition was very smooth due to everyone’s hard work. I want KSR to be a brand covering UK sports for as long as they play those sports, and this transition was a key step in making that happen.

If you can, please subscribe to the radio show podcast here as it is the one way to get the show as soon as it comes out via iTunes. Thanks to all of you who have read and commented on my stuff at CBS. I cant thank you enough. And get ready because KSR has a crazy couple of months of plans coming up that I think you will like…and if you dont, then I will just blame BTI anyway.

Article written by Matt Jones

57 Comments for UK Fans of the Weekend Want a Weekend Wrapup

1. tony_00_delk
    8:53 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

I kno her.

2. Nassau65
    8:55 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Thanks for not linking asswad Tipton. This place is gett’n better by the day.

3. KSR1080Fan
    8:56 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Proud to be a UK fan and a KSR fan!

4. Mr Schwump
    9:00 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

1-2. No, 2-1. No wait……..hell, BOTH!!

5. Straightbent
    9:01 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

I know it has been mentioned before but when are the KSR shirts going on sale? I would love to sport me a KSR t-shirt.

6. Nassau65
    9:03 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Tipton is not a good enough writer to draw many clicks by writing good things about UK, and must resort to the negativity to get clicks from all the people he upsets. He has proven that, time and time again. That must be the sole reason you say he is good at what he does. People just need to stop mentioning him. He is an embarrassment, and one day the LHL (that’s a newspaper-haha) will realize that he needs to go.

7. KRAMER
    9:05 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

What was up with the headline in the Courier Journal this morning? Miracle on Main, it was a good win but a HUGE headline..please!

8. twnky
    9:09 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

I don’t know why you guys give Tipton the time of day.

9. GeorgeCostanza
    9:12 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

You know what I’d like to see?

I’d like to read sort of “history of KSR” compilation to
    help those of us that haven’t been around forever to
    be up-to-speed on some of the innuendo, the
    sarcastic & off-hand remarks etc. that “refer”
    to posts and posters of the past (some not with us any longer).

I don’t expect it to all be covered at once but
    it would probably make for a great mini-series.

I read the references and know there’s a story to it but I’m
    completely in the dark. Kind of like discovering a great sitcom
    after it’s been on the air for 5-6 years- if you know what I’m sayin’.

10. Big D
    9:12 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

7) Glad you were able to vent. Coolest thing about your vent is that you NAILED it.

11. Chris Thomas
    9:15 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

11) Buckle up. I have a sneaking suspicion that another writer is currently working on such a project.

12. stevied
    9:21 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

UK fans of the weekend — DAMN !!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Computer Blue
    9:21 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

“and he is very good at what he does”

If “what he does” is being a total d-bag then yes, he’s the best in the business!

14. stephfawbush
    9:24 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

i think the cats are bull this year. Screw demarcus cousins and screw calipari

15. brogreg
    9:26 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

KSR is the only site I read for UK Sports. I never read the Lexington paper anymore unless a link from here takes me there. Thanks so much for what you do at KSR.

16. RicksVD says
    9:27 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

I don’t give a “Tipton” about the LHL. That rag is only worth of catching bird-Tipton.

17. bluetexan
    9:29 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Matt: “In my conversations with the Herald Leader folks, they always express bewilderment as to how anyone could think Jerry is negative (I promise, they really do).” No real reason to have any conversation(s) with the H-L people re: Tipton, etc. as they might just as well dump the Sports Section in regards to UK sports…they’ve been non-responsive to their readers for decades, never positive/supportive (outside of Barnfart) and have, seemingly, buried their heads in the sand over their problem. Thus, endeth the lesson.

18. GummyBear
    9:30 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Quick Suggestions:
    1. In the post-game wrap-ups, include a link to the game’s boxscore
    2. Provide a link to Matt’s CBS posts when they are new.

This will help make this the one-stop shop for UK news.

19. CalifCatFan
    9:35 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Matt, thank you for not linking Tipton.

20. Eggs Wilhoite
    9:36 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Keep up the good work Matt. Fug a bunch of herolled weeder.

21. rac
    9:42 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

ditto 17

22. Moderated By
    9:42 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Beisner?

23. GeorgeCostanza
    9:43 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

13) GREAT!!!
    Hopefully it will win this writer a Pulitzer Prize!
    (again, if you know what I’m sayin’!)

24. MikeInLex
    9:52 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Tipton is irrelevant. Other fans have nothing to say, so they say cheaters, who cares? As long as Sandy Bell is in charge Tipton might as well be writing about the tooth fairy or santa claus. Hes a fiction writer. Tired of ESPN and writers turning sports into soap operas. I like the games and sports themselves, the between the line competition. This blog is real journalism, what newspapers were 50 years ago, info and positive stories on the team we love. Newspaper writers think they are the story, spin it to what they want people to think….days are numbered.

25. GeorgeCostanza
    9:59 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

I meant (12)
    GREAT!!!
    Hopefully it will win this writer a Pulitzer Prize!
    (again, if you know what I’m sayin’!)

26. stevied
    10:03 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

# 15 – EAT ONE

27. Rondos dribbling hand
    10:17 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

I love Kentucky. We have some of the most beautiful women in the world, as the picture above only proves.

28. BPsycho
    10:26 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

#1 Nice

#9 He’s really nice in person. “in person” “not behind newspaper” I wonder why? …. yeah…

29. john4uk
    10:35 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Any win in the SEC is a good win,and i would’nt be so eager to continually call LSU and Auburn ewo of the worst teams in college basketball.It might come back to bit you in the rear end.

30. DaveUK
    10:35 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Tipton is always grouchy when writing about basketball because it reminds him of how big his prostate is.

31. Charley
    10:43 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Good job Matt, and thanks for not linking Troll Tipton.

Please explain your statement that the sot does a good job of what he does…being negative all of the time, typing while intoxicated, being the only beat writer for a major program who is always negative about the home team,…?

32. Gossie21
    10:50 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

The notjerrytipton on twitter is quite funny. He takes an anti-UK angle on every story. Just like in real life.

33. J.Tipton
    11:02 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Good job, but still a few grammatical errors.

34. Terry Jipton
    11:02 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

I’d like to squeeze the puss out of one of Fifteeno’s festering open sores on his junk into my morning coffee before my next article for the LHL.

35. Eric in LA
    11:34 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Beez is gettin sh$t right.

36. LindaS
    11:37 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Every since I can remember and I am older then dirt, Tipton has always sucked. As for the CJ, that was ridiculous. Did you see how small and how hard it was to locate the UK game. I thought the forgot about it all together. Very small at the bottom of the front page. That sucked too.

37. Lower Arena Old Man Sleeping
    11:40 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Did yaw turn down the speakers in Rupp Arena yet?

38. shadowboxer
    11:40 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

The chick on the left’s eyes have put me in some kind of trance.

39. tdogg4033011
    11:52 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

KSR is the shizzz …. lets all do the 7_0_ …. lol

40. BrooklynNYC
    12:24 am January 17, 2011 Permalink

The beautiful ladies of Delta Zeta finding their way on KSR – way to go LP

41. Eggs Wilhoite
    12:26 am January 17, 2011 Permalink

35 sounds like who???

42. Newtintheville
    12:30 am January 17, 2011 Permalink

Tyler could write every article and I’d be interested. She’s that good.

Beez is good but I’m tiring of him already. Lentz, Drew & BTI have problems with their facts sometimes. It’s irritating.

Matt, you’re still the best.

But I still love KSR. BBN for life!

43. Costanza
    12:32 am January 17, 2011 Permalink

10. the first thing you should know about being new to this site is to not take my name. your cooperation is appreciated

44. SamKat
    1:00 am January 17, 2011 Permalink

Matt, I had the misfortune of reading Jerry Tipton yesterday in Lexington. Why doesn’t the LHL just make him a beat writer for a gossip columkn? I feel so sorry for those who rely upon the LHL for UK basetball news.

The younger fellow who went to the northwest was head and heals a better writer over JT!

Beisner and others are doing well with KSR. What has happened with Kate Martin? I also like the spark BTI and Tyler give to your excellent site!

45. snarkster
    1:33 am January 17, 2011 Permalink

Juck Ferry. As to the list of BBall recruiting targets, I love the list. I think 10’s a much nicer number than 8 though, so let’s add Kyle Anderson and Brandon Ashley.

46. BPsycho
    6:10 am January 17, 2011 Permalink

#43 I like her as well. She could turn into something special. “no pressure”

As for your second line: I stopped reading after “but”.. The words “Beisner good” with a “but” following are foreign and blasphemic to me… xD

#45 I think the only people that rely on him for news are the people that want the music turned down in Rupp. As for the Kate story, I’m tired of talking about her stalking lovers quarrel with one, Bryan The Intern… lol!

47. challenger4
    6:18 am January 17, 2011 Permalink

Got to be two of the prettiest girls I’ve ever laid eyes on!!

48. Bledsoe's GPA
    7:53 am January 17, 2011 Permalink

Take a dose of humility, please. This site is NOT the Lexington Herald Leader. Please spare us.

49. catmash
    8:12 am January 17, 2011 Permalink

#48…TOTALLY AGREE!!!

50. bung
    8:17 am January 17, 2011 Permalink

Great Pic..

51. BPsycho
    8:17 am January 17, 2011 Permalink

#49 Thank God.

More than 5 people read this site, so no, no it’s not.. It’s popular enough to have trolls like yourself, so stop playin. You’re here because you can’t troll the Herald Leader site “they do have a site?…right? lol”

You mad cause you can’t get comments posted on the live blog aren’t you? lol Just keep twyin lil guy. If suckin **** got comments posted you would reign supreme, but it don’t so wipe that off and troll somewhere else. *****

Free Enes

52. Home Stenographer
    8:39 am January 17, 2011 Permalink

2-1

I am completely smitten with the one on the right.

53. Fake Jerry Tipton
    9:04 am January 17, 2011 Permalink

#2 is right; UK is terrible. Also, I will always listen to a 19 years old UNC student.

54. Dennis Smith
    10:15 am January 17, 2011 Permalink

Let’s all thank BPsycho and Terry Jipton for their bizarre messages of hate. Both of you literary geniuses get a Jared Loughner award for excellence.

55. Kelso
    10:42 am January 17, 2011 Permalink

BUUUURN!!!!!!!

56. Kelso
    10:42 am January 17, 2011 Permalink

55- problem is, #52 was spot on.

fail.

57. Worried about the 2012 class
    1:43 pm January 17, 2011 Permalink

If Drummond wants to quickly maximize his talent then he should come to UK.

However, he won’t and probably will sign with his local favorite UCONN. I’m worried about the 2012 class. Yes, Cal will bring in some guys but there will be a noticeable drop off (more 4 than 5 star guys).

Perry Ellis will go to Kansas, Dejaun Coleman will to Syracuse (not a great move considering all their bigs), Shabazz Muhammad to UNC. Ricardo Ledo already signed with Providence and even Pittsburgh has signed a top 5 player in Birch. Maybe we can get LJ Rose but he’s a high 4. There’s lots of unknown questions about the class. Goodwin would be a great get but who knows.

IU already has a very strong 2012 class and Louisville has signed a couple guys.

I want to be hopeful, hope i’m wrong, and really want to beat Duke in ATL but I worry about the quality of that team. We’re talking about Poole, Polson, Hood, and Wiltjier (maybe Vargas if he red-shirts). I doubt Lamb, Knight, or Jones will be around for a junior season.

Cal has nothing to prove and is a top notch recruiter but that class will be his biggest challenge yet.