UK Fans of the Night Want Some Evening Notes

Its a big night with the US Open, VMAs, Barack Obama Speech and Pittsburgh vs Cincy football (kidding about the last one..no one cares about Big East football). So lets get a few notes out of the way:

— The saga of Billy Clyde is sad, but not at all surprising. It was obvious at Kentucky that Billy Gillispie would ruin his own career. His time here included some of the more embarrassing moments in the school’s history and even those of us that know many stories probably don’t know the half of his lunacy. Unfortunately however, he continued the progression at Texas Tech and now the school will surely have no choice but to let him go. During his time at Kentucky, he would speak of the “tough love” that he gave his players and how he helped them become men by being hard on them on a daily basis. It was complete bunk. Even proponents of “tough love” usually adhere to common standards of decency and attempt to treat people with respect. Billy did neither. I don’t like to revel in other people’s failures but with Gillispie, it is hard not to do. Tonight we learn that he is out of the hospital, and that is good. But it looks as if his career is headed for a point as low as the standard by which he treated others. It is unfortunately fitting.

— Wanna be sick? How about you watch this video of “All Access” from ESPN with Billy Gillispie as the coach. Crazy to look back on:

— Speaking of crazy, how about this picture of Rex Chapman from his playing days with a gold tooth:

— The big (and only story) coming out of football this week is Joker’s decision to play the young players and throw them into the fire. It is clear that the most talented athletes on this team are also the youngest. If UK is to have any chance of success, those guys must play and play well. They will make numerous mistakes, but better to make such mistakes and learn than to be stuck with a relatively unathletic team against SEC juggernauts.

— With that said, UK’s defense will be put to the test on Saturday. Now don’t get me wrong, Kent State’s offense is terrible. In fact, it was ranked 9th last season out of 13 teams in the MAC. But if THAT defense runs roughshod on Kentucky’s offense, or even scores a lot of points…well it will be a long season.

— Triple H got his haircut. It throws me off:

— I hope everyone decides to go to the UK Alumni Game in Rupp Arena next Saturday. It really is going to be a great event…the reunion of the 1996 team, along with a host of former Cats currently in the NBA, including Anthony Davis, Demarcus Cousins and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. I am also hearing talk of potential special guest coaches that could get lots of people excited. Make sure and purchase your tickets at the link below and gear up for what might be your best chance to see these UK guys up close ever:

UK ALUMNI GAME TICKETS HERE

— I am excited to be participating next week in the John Calipari Fantasy Experience. It is a chance to act as a UK basketball player for three days and spend a lot of time playing basketball under the UK coaches’ tutelage. My hope is to not embarrass myself, but as the youngest player there, it should be ok…we hope. For more info on the camp, the many UK NBA players that will be there and how you could sign up, click this link from Coachcal.com

— Finally, I am going to be the co-host of the Walk-Ons College basketball podcast. It will focus on college basketball nationally and will (hopefully) be part of a major website soon. Until then, you can listen to the first episode with my co-hosts Shane Ryan and Ben Swain here. We get into Billy Clyde, Nerlens Noel and why I hate some Duke students. If you like KSR, I think you will like it and you can subscribe to it from the iTunes link there as well.

More coming tomorrow as we get ready for the weekend. If you are an early riser, I will be on 98.1 The Bull tomorrow morning at 7:45 talking with Deanna and Officer Don. I might even get them to play Conway. See you then…

Article written by Matt Jones

34 Comments for UK Fans of the Night Want Some Evening Notes

1. shields eyes
    9:17 pm September 6, 2012 Permalink

The girl on the right is fine. Point Blank. Period.

2. tdogg40330
    9:18 pm September 6, 2012 Permalink

who is Billy G ??

3. What they would say....
    9:21 pm September 6, 2012 Permalink

BCG gave me the same feeling i had when Bush won the election and how I would feel if that fool Romney would win.

4. td00642
    9:22 pm September 6, 2012 Permalink

3:45 of the video… #4 Memphis vs Southern Miss

5. BCG
    9:27 pm September 6, 2012 Permalink

Matt is still butt hurt that I treated him like my bi#ch when I was in Lexington. He is obsessed with me and talks bad about me whenever he gets the chance. The name “Matt Jones” hasn’t crossed my mind once since I came to TTU, but he probably thinks about me twenty times a day. If I were in the same room with him, however, he would tuck his tail between his legs and cower off in the other direction.

6. UKBlue
    9:31 pm September 6, 2012 Permalink

I bet Rex would give a million bucks to have that hair & be that skinny.

Watching that video looks like total hell; everyone of Billy UK players should have their jerseys retired in Rupp for putting up with & surviving Billy.

7. Rex
    9:32 pm September 6, 2012 Permalink

i was always a freak of nature.
    mentally and physically.

8. Axe Cop
    9:39 pm September 6, 2012 Permalink

Wow, I’d forgotten that adults at one time considered it fashionable to wear Taz shirts.

9. 859 man
    9:41 pm September 6, 2012 Permalink

I feel sorry for Billy Gillispie, glad to hear he’s out of the hospital. Hope this wakes him up and helps him realize his current lifestyle is gonna kill him, and he needs to get his life straight. Alcohol is a bad thing, it changes people and sends them down the wrong path, and as much as he probably deserves it, I don’t want to see him continue to ruin his life.

10. barn
    9:53 pm September 6, 2012 Permalink

i just heard bcg has been observed driving aimlessly, at low speed, around lubbock in a white ford bronco…

11. Weak
    9:55 pm September 6, 2012 Permalink

Your such a gentle soul #9

12. U-G-L-Y
    9:56 pm September 6, 2012 Permalink

Surreal & Ugly. I could not watch it (got a minute into Billy Clyde & turned off.) Such a blow, especially after this past weekend. Sorry, KSR, still depressed, gonna have to sign off awhile longer. I haven’t been on the site or listened since Sunday. 🙁

13. Triple H's ponytail
    9:56 pm September 6, 2012 Permalink

It throws me off too, Matt. Who’s going to spit water all over me when we (don’t) enter the ring together at Survivor Series?!

14. Ares
    10:06 pm September 6, 2012 Permalink

I think equally troubling as Clyde is the Michael Porter situation. Two guys who really have made some bad choices which will forever change their lives. One word…. SAD!

15. WildcatFan
    10:11 pm September 6, 2012 Permalink

Well, that was a depressing reminder of the ‘abusive’ relationship our team endured w/BCG….thank you, Jesus, that JVC came to rescue us!

16. Sittin' Bull
    10:17 pm September 6, 2012 Permalink

Ticket sales must be really low for the alumni game…KSR promoting it every other post…

17. blitzedanddazed
    10:18 pm September 6, 2012 Permalink

I hope that BCG is held accountable for every one of his actions that has hurt one of his players.
    BCG is apparently a sick individual. No more excuses, get this idiot out of Collegiate Sports.

18. ebell55
    10:23 pm September 6, 2012 Permalink

The taped freethrow line during the ballroom walk through takes the cake. Can you see Cal giving a walk through in the hotel ballroom. Lol

19. HeshimuEvans'2ndGradeTeacher
    11:55 pm September 6, 2012 Permalink

Rex sure likes to post pics of himself quite often. Is that a normal thing for a grown man to do?

20. clancyhatfield
    12:15 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

I don’t want to hear anything from you about BCG – you knew the truth and kept your mouth shut the whole time. If the fans had known what was going on, we would have run him out of the state

21. Bill
    12:24 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

Murked both of them…really tho, who hasn’t

22. Greedy
    1:18 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

I’m sure Matt is getting a cut of the Ticket$ $40-$80 for this pick up game. Way to stick it to the fans in this economy.

23. Bonkrshr
    1:24 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

5. BCG … the suggestion that you would abuse Mr Jones’ anus is somewhat appropriate with the now very clear realization that
    the BCG tough guy attitude was nothing more than a raging case of vaginitis spawned by lack of hugs and affection from his
    mummy when he was a wee little chap…

One question though….is the AD at Texas Tech looking for a job? Because he needs to be…
    BOBBy KNIGHT, Mike LEACH, and BCG… all accused of abusive behavior towards athletes…WTF

#A$$hole!
    #FU

24. Bonkrshr
    1:31 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

point being… stop psycho-analyzing this douche bag…
    He’s no more than a bully who’s had it coming for a long time…
    Go Perry… Love to see Prairie Dog tell it..

25. Catsincebirth
    2:35 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

Obama speech…….FAIL !!!!

26. UK Snuggie
    8:16 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

Wow, the girl on the right is a perfect 10. You don’t need to post any other girls on this site from here on out, she is hands down the best looking girl you will ever have submitted to this site. Just wow!

27. Beavis
    8:26 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

# 26,,,,agree,,,,she is absolutely gorgeous.

28. DEasy
    8:39 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

2,1,1,2 and then 2 again.

29. RYNO
    9:38 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

Those girls are at the Galt House. Think they were going to the UofL UK game? I hope they brought their mace.

30. JMF
    9:59 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

I just threw up a little in my mouth watching BCG as UK coach. What a terrible nightmare that was!

31. Ukbill
    1:35 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

Girl on right is also a perfect 10 naked!

32. kdh2011
    2:56 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

I enjoyed the new podcast tremendously. I literally LOL’d at work at Ben’s NC State joke. I look forward to the next podcast.

33. Linda Taylor
    3:42 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

22-Greedy-You need to pay better attention. All the proceeds from the Alumni game go the charity, including victims of the tornado in West Liberty. Also single tickets start at $20 not $40.

34. Iknow
    9:18 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

Girl on right is also an attorney so some of you should watch what you say…