UK Fans of the Evening Want to Know About Uncensored Podcast

As many of you know, the KSR crew taped a podcast on Friday night that included the Top 50 UK Players in the Post-Probation Era. It was 2 1/2 hours of good times and Drew Franklin, Beisner, Turkey Hunter, Tomlin and Hubby all provided great lines and some of the best stories about UK players you will hear anywhere. We had hoped to release it tonight, but we are having difficulties getting the correct system to actually sell the $2 podcast. You can’t do it on iTunes without calling it an “audiobook” (which we don’t qualify for) and direct purchase via PayPal is not something we yet are certain will work without any hitches. So we are working to get it done and as soon as we find something that is acceptable and not too much of a hassle, it will be ready. Or, we won’t be able to figure anything out and we will just hold it forever and randomly email it to people we know. Because of the content, we hoped to release it only to the true KSR fans, but for now, it is stopped by a common theme of all we have ever done…technical difficulties.

Article written by Matt Jones

43 Comments for UK Fans of the Evening Want to Know About Uncensored Podcast

1. Michael
    10:52 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

How about split into two segments at 99 cents each?

2. ColoradoCat
    10:57 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

3. Kyle Almek
    11:01 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

please on iTunes… gotta use up this iTunes bank I’ve created for something.

4. Michael
    11:01 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Man i really wanted to hear this!

5. Keith S
    11:27 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

How about making a cassette tape and passing it around via US mail?

6. Here is a thought
    11:36 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

I know this sounds crazy, but how about you put it out like a regular podcast and not charge a penny for it? I know I guess Im a dreamer but come on guys are you already that huge that you need to charge us for something that used to be free? So I gave my 2 cents worh so how about letting me get 1 minute as a free preview?

7. jhd
    11:38 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Talk to Louis CK’s guys, he just put a video up for $5, via Paypal, and it came off without a hitch. He basically self-produced, and has a reputation for actually returning people’s emails, so it’s worth a shot.

No, this isn’t spam. It’s actually a good idea.

8. Ron
    11:42 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Please please please find a way to put this out via itunes. Call it an audiobook. Doug Benson, the comedian, does this all the time for special podcasts. So does Ricky Gervais. You guys can do this…let’s get some MKG spirit going and let’s see Drew Franklyn give MKG-like effort in getting this done. I’ve been waiting for these stories for a LONG TIME!

9. Double A-Ron
    11:45 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Podomatic.com

10. Jake
    11:55 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

I understand the concern for the content – I remember “a wooden leg named smith” – but “true KSR fans” is a ridiculous idea and $2 doesn’t prevent non-KSR fans from purchasing the podcast. It probably is a great way to make money, I’m ready to pay for it, but I just don’t understand why we can’t all be honest about it. KSR is better than that. Sure, after all the jokes about having to pay for content on other sites this looks kind of bad, but I still don’t see any reason to try and call it something it isn’t, because that looks worse.

11. Kyle
    11:59 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Come on!!

12. Bildo
    12:03 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

i’ll pay for it if you put it on iTunes. otherwise, to hell with it.

13. memphiswildcat
    12:13 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

Given all the comments are on the podcast and not the picture,you clearly have it priced too low

14. Ron
    12:24 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

i’ll pay, just find a way.

15. Beans
    12:32 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

Damn you, SOPA & PIPA!!

16. rnet
    12:42 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

why not get a actual IT guy who can fix all the problems KSR has with podcast’s????

17. KentuckyJAM
    12:56 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

I’m sure it’s worth the wait and my $2!

18. Chief McHeath
    1:04 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

#16 I think you meant “Whyt not get an actual IT guy?,” the rest is superfluous.

19. Andy
    1:22 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

I will drive from alabama to louisville and hand you the two dollars if you give me the podcast

20. docmartin_10
    3:55 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

What would KSR be without technical difficulties?

21. Still the best
    6:05 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

please dont put a women in red as “UK fans of evening” unless she is smokin hot

22. The King
    6:40 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

I have to agree with a few of the other comments. Sure who wouldn’t hate to make a few extra dollars, but why now? I’ve been a loyal reader since may of 2006, back when the site typically had 1 post a day. Throughout the years there have been a few well known principles the readers could count on: Mark Maggard is a turd, nerd fights are comedy gold, the site will undoubtably go down, mispelings, you will NEVER actually get that tee-shirt you “won”, talking about politics will draw ire of empty threats of no longer reading the site, “news” about Patterson/Lucas and most importantly, the staunch belief paying for any of the above is utterly rediculious and KSR will always be free.

Sure the podcast may not be directly UK related, but so are half the posts on the site. Which is exactly what 1000’s of others and myself love about this site and what has propelled it to its current reign. Well that and the whole Patterson/Lucas thing.

I’m not going vow my deflection (where the hell else would I go? Tipton and the leader?), I’m not even going to look upon you guys with any level of disdain or call you a sellout for charging $2 for the podcast. But much like any new age parents failed attempt to punish their child by telling them how disapointed they are, rather than putting the fear of God into them by requiring they go pick out their own switch, I’m a little disapointed.

To me, it just doesn’t feel like following the roots of what KSR has always been. But push come to shove, sure I’ll pay the $2, seriously it’s only $2.

23. Ron Burgundy
    7:33 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

Stay classy KSR

24. UKSteele
    8:06 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

Have you guys tried Bandcamp?

25. Mr. geez
    8:15 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

It is only 2 bucks. This podcast is huge and they are normally free. Your paying for the bandwidth and the infrastructure..suck it up guys.

26. WalkersGoggles
    8:22 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

Next thing you know you’ll be charging me to download your daily podcast of the show

27. Buddy
    8:27 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

24- exactly

28. High Flying Birds
    8:50 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

I’ll buy as long as the Brassow story is included!

29. UKGoBigBlue
    8:57 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

Paypal is easy to work with, and really easy to set up for websites.

30. Any way
    9:00 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

I don’t care how it gets released I just hope it will get out so we can enjoy it. A small fee is no problem. One of the best things about Matt is his wealth of information and memories about the last 20 yrs of UK Basketball. Well worth the money to listen.

31. Wildcats2131
    9:18 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

So, complain about sites charging for articles and then charge 2 bucks for a silly podcast? K

32. Dub Z
    9:38 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

I think the website bandcamp.com will let you do what you want.

It’s for musicians primarily to sell songs/albums without going through iTunes.

33. footballsux
    9:47 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

Wanted to release it only to “true KSR fans”? How about, wanted to release only to “anyone willing to pony up $2” instead?

How about making it free, like most podcasts in the known universe?

34. True UK fan
    9:52 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

Guess the iTunes I downloaded last week in prep for this was a waste of time. Also, 2$ with the non censorship issues (language, and topics) might be good for younger listeners to not be able to get hold of this without parents consent.(not saying it is impossible for under age person to get a hold of it but, it’s a deterrent).

35. Matt Jones
    10:02 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

For those that don’t want to pay, I totally understand…feel free to not buy it. No harm, no foul.

As for why we are charging, I have explained that it is mostly to limit the amount of listeners and give money to those who participate in the podcast. The reality is that to get the old crew back together (many of whom have families and dont have four hours on a Friday night to record a podcast), we have to be able to pay them. If we didn’t charge, the reality is that we probably would not have been able to do it.

We have given free things for 6 1/2 years..my guess is that the vast majority of fans do not care if we charge a small fee for something that we otherwise would not have done.

36. Rex's Mullet
    10:11 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

Ok Matt, makes sense. I’ll pay you my $2 whenever you can figure out how to charge us.

37. cant wait any longer
    10:16 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

So, i went out a bought a computer, had Insight come install hi-speed at the crib, and opened and loaded up a new Itunes account in anticipation of a new bargain-priced podcast from KSR. Two dollars, I’d spend 200!
    Maybe you should record all telephone conversations between you guys and sell em for $.75!
    Or better yet, any time you guys all get together to hang out, invite one of us to hang with you, for the low price of $299.99.

38. Laker Cat 18
    10:29 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

Could just drop it for free this time and double up the next one when you figure it out. LOL

39. saki7
    10:38 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

Fans of the evening? lol that’s an ungentlemanly insinuation. For shame.
    I don’t mind the $2.

40. UKFan'sInnerThoughts
    11:09 am January 19, 2012 Permalink

So does that make this the “pre-probation era”?

41. KingTut
    12:15 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

WOW! 2 WHOLE DAMN DOLLARS!!! MY GOD KSR, HOW DARE YOU CHARGE US THAT MUCH MONEY AFTER ALL WE’VE DONE FOR YOU!!! I MEAN FOR GOD’S SAKE, WE’VE READ YOUR FREE WEB SITE, WATCHED YOUR FREE TV SHOW AND LISTENED TO YOUR FREE RADIO SHOW FOR YEARS! AND AFTER ALL OF THAT FOR YOU TO ASK US TO PAY YOU $2, FOR WHAT I’M SURE IS AN UNBELIEVABLE 2 1/2 HOURS OF ENTERTAINMENT, IS COMPLETELY UNCALLED FOR! I MEAN THAT’S 200 PENNY’S MATT JONES, MY GOD THE REST OF US DON’T HAVE THAT BIG FREE FAN WEB SITE MONEY LIKE YOU BROTHER!!! Some peoples childern…

42. laidbackhonkycat
    12:42 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

It will be well worth it, we appreciate what you do. Thanks Matt

P.S. Make it available on Zune or better yet, a neutral platform as well, which was part of the Louis C.K. success.

43. bluristhurr
    7:28 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Pay 4 some peoples opinion on top players LOL. Come on KSR you make fun of Marc all the time for charging 4 stuff then you do it!