UK Fans of the Day Want Afternoon Notes

joshhopkins-johnwall

Hey, those guys need to get their John Wall dances in sync. One of them looks kind of familiar…

On, On to the afternoon notes:

2012 BASKETBALL RECRUITING
– Evan Daniels of Scout.com came on the radio show today to talk all things recruiting. He and Matt discussed Kentucky’s main targets for the 2012 class. I’ll outline the prospects below, where Kentucky stands on them, and Evan’s take.

Willie Cauley, 7′ C, Olathe, KS, #11 center on Scout.com. Considering Kentucky, Kansas, Kansas State, Florida, Alabama
While he may not put stars in your eyes like Shabazz Muhammad or Dajuan Coleman, Cauley is high on Kentucky’s list for a number of reasons. First, if the Cats can’t get Coleman, he is a nice consolation prize, with dynamic shot blocking skills, raw athleticism, and a natural feel on rebounding. His defense is well ahead of his offense at this point, but he’s developing a nice jump hook. Plus, he’s a seven footer. EVAN’S TAKE: Cauley is much more of a prospect than a player at this point, but he has serious potential. He can run the floor, has great hands, a developing jump hook and he can block shots. He’s better than Eloy, especially at running the floor and shot blocking.

Archie Goodwin, 6’4″ SG, Sherwood, AR, #3 SG on Scout.com. Considering Kentucky, Arkansas, Missouri, Baylor, Georgetown, Kansas, Memphis and UConn
Of all the 2012 recruits, many feel Archie Goodwin is the most likely to become a Wildcat. He’s aggressive on both sides of the ball, attacking the basket with confidence. He also shows intensity on defense and is a pretty good shooter. Goodwin told Matt at the Peach Jam he will make a decision sometime in the Spring. EVAN’S TAKE: Comes down to Kentucky and his homestate school, Arkanasas. Cats have a good chance.

Alex Poythress, 6’8″ SF, Clarksville, TN, #3 SF on Scout.com. Considering Kentucky, Duke, Memphis, Vandy and Florida
Like Matt said in the night post, Cal may want Poythress more than any other player in the class. Poythress had a great visit to Lexington recently, but is reluctant to name a leader. There’s been a lot of buzz about the Nashville forward lately, due to his ability to dominate opponents with his size and strength, shoot the three, and handle the ball with ease. EVAN’S TAKE: Comes down to Duke, Vandy, and Kentucky.

These are the three players Kentucky will most likely end up with for 2012. Add in Ryan Harrow, who Evan says is one of the best ball handlers in the class, a wildcard (maybe Mitch McGary, Devonta Pollard, or TJ Warren), and the Cats will end up with at least a top ten class, maybe even top five. Not too shabby. Now, a commitment from Shabazz Muhammad, Brandon Ashley, or DaJuan Coleman would obviously vault that class even higher, but for now, these are the guys that Cal feels most confident about.

FOOTBALL
Snippets are coming out on Twitter about the Joker Phillips luncheon today in Louisville. I’m sure Matt, the emcee of the event, will be along to tell us all about it later, but here are some quick hitters until then:
– Joker on winning championships at Kentucky: “Don’t laugh at that. Do not laugh at it. I’m not in this business to go to bowl games.”
– Apparently a UofL fan confused him with Charlie Strong the other day, to which Joker said: “I’m Joker, but I’ll give Charlie the message…I guess we all do look alike.”
– Joker repeated the line that Rick Minter told us at the UK Football Women’s Clinic back in July about UK being a hoops school: “I’ve never seen 70,000 people in Rupp Arena.”
– On recruiting: “We’ve got to go out of state sometimes to get our arms and legs, but the state of Kentucky is our heart and soul.”
– The only real bit of news was that LG Stuart Hines conditioned with the team yesterday and will hopefully practice on Friday and be ready for the opener.

ETC.
– Well, it appears the Mike Hartline era in Indianapolis is over before it began. Today, the Colts signed QB Kerry Collins to step in while Peyton Manning continues to recover from neck surgery. No word on which backup QB gets cut, but Hartline, the only backup without NFL experience, is at the bottom of the depth chart.

– Want to attend the 2011 UK Basketball Women’s Clinic? I know I do (hint hint, Matt/Beis/Drew). UK Athletics just announced it will take place on Sunday, October 2nd from 4-7 p.m. It costs $100, but please, that’s a small price to pay to be among the first to meet the freshmen, learn the dribble drive, tour the facilities, and get the chance to ask Coach Cal what he really thinks of Orange Leaf yogurt. Go here for more information. And yes, you must be a woman to attend.

– Here’s today’s podcast. Like I said earlier, Matt talked to Evan Daniels, so if you want even more basketball recruiting talk, tune in. Ryan Lemond took over for the second hour and talked football, with special guests Harold Denis and Dusty Bonner.

29 Comments for UK Fans of the Day Want Afternoon Notes

1. Jax Teller
    2:15 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

The afternoon notes are important and all, but let’s get to the real question. Why is Marky Mark doing the John Wall dance? Come on, come on, you feel it baby..

2. Don
    2:16 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

It’s only because there hasn’t been the opportunity to put a crowd of 70K together for a UK basketball game. Give us Puke in Commonwealth under the lights and we may register on the seismograph at the USGS.

lEGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

3. poor Joker
    2:20 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

how are we NOT supposed to laugh about winning football championships? I love UK and am rooting for them to win every game, but come one…that sh*ts funny.

4. mocha
    2:27 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

Is that a FILA shirt? Didn’t know those were still around.

5. Devils advocate
    2:28 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

“Joker on winning championships at Kentucky: “Don’t laugh at that. Do not laugh at it.”

We’re only laughing at you morons trying to pose as someone who understands anything about Football or basketball for that matter.

6. gameday
    2:32 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

I’m with 2, the only reason you haven’t seen 70,000 in Rupp is because it can’t seat that many.

7. 1992
    2:33 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

Hey, I want my FILA polo shirt back!

8. Patriot
    2:50 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

Give us 100,000 seats and 5 home games a year, you bet we’d fill it.

9. DoubleZeroMostel
    2:50 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

I am shocked, SHOCKED that Hartline is getting cut from an NFL roster. I can’t imagine that anyone saw that coming…SHOCKED!

10. Jax Teller
    3:00 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

@#10, OK, so I guess you missed the part where Evan Daniels was on the radio today? I never knew Matt’s neighbors toilet was named Evan Daniels. I guess NBC is right, the more you know…

11. Bulldawg
    3:13 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

It suprised me that they even let Hartlesline step on the field with pro players. This guy is nothing but a joke. He was never a real leader. Look at the things he did. Throwing his teammates under the bus, not being eligible for the bowl game, choking when the big boys came to play, etc. UK should KNOW what a real leader should act and play like. Check out Stuart Hines! That guy is a real leader that I would go to battle with. I would not even go to a bar with Hartline, although he obviously has more experience there (playing the “I played for UK” card to the max) than he does on the gridiron. I hope that dude has to shovel blacktop for a few years so that maybe he will appreciate the opportinities that he squandered away by being selfish. I was never happier for the UK football program than I was when he used all of his college eligibility. Graduating was the best thing he ever did for UK!

12. No one cares, Jeremy
    3:17 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

10 I think it is funny that you are a complete DOUCHE.

13. Matt's Toilet
    3:35 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

I’m a great source of information and fiber.

14. I'm a credit card thief
    3:35 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

I never thought Matt acted like his info came straight from Cal. Guess I’m the only one.
    OTOH I hear Maggard is the real recruiting guru south of the border.

15. chigs
    3:36 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

Dude in the Fila shirt has a huge left forearm!!! What is up with that?

16. Buckets
    3:40 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

Uggh. Second hour was brutal. At least you can fast forward past through the first 30+ minutes and get back to basketball talk.

17. Devils advocate
    4:00 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

#2 …….right i agree 70k would be there sitting silently. UK Bball fans make rupp feel like a morgue unless they are beating up on west paw paw state community college or neck and neck with UL/UNC. That’s all we need is more embarassing shots of people sitting down using their Iphone to say “Hey, see if you can see me on TV”…..lackluster support looks worse when you multiply the number by 2-3.

18. chigs
    4:37 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

#18 is a pole smoker. can you say jealousy? as soon as coach K kicks the bucket you will be relegated to wishing you were in the ivy league.

19. Chuck D
    5:09 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

Joker stole my story . . .

So I’m a Junior at UF and I work for AM850 WRUF in the sports department. I’m assigned to go interview our Defensive Coordinator Charlie Strong after practice one day. Well Coach Strong is the Head Coach at Louisville right now, but back then he wasn’t on TV all the time and I didn’t really know what he looked like . . . I just knew he was a bald black guy. Anyway, I show up to practice and I ask one of the players (Max Starks) where Coach Strong is and he points off in a direction. Well unfortunately he was pointing a little further back than I realized, but a bald African-American coach is running in my direction with a few players and as he comes by I yell “Coach Strong?” and he just belts out “I’m coach Locksley” and as I attempt to apologize he just goes “We all look the same, right?? We all look the same!!!”

PS Mike Locksley, now the head coach at New Mexico, was the Running Backs coach under Zook at the time.

20. Danielle
    5:47 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

All I can see in this picture are protruding nipples and weird nose band-aids. So distracting.

21. Bevis
    6:43 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

ha, look at the two dorks.

22. Fila Shirt
    8:57 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

Isn’t that Andy Penick, former PRP star in the late 80’s, wearing me?

23. Fila Shirt
    9:01 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

Isn’t that Andy Penick, PRP star in the late 80’s, wearing me?

24. Richard Simmons
    9:35 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

Who are the two ankle grabbers in that picture?

25. Yeti3778
    9:53 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

Isn’t the guy on the right the lead singer for Filter?

26. Hot UK Girl (Matt Fan)
    10:35 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

Why is Mr. Hopkins wearing Fila tennis whites? Did he take an ace to the nose?

27. Eric
    11:45 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

@27 probably did, while playing Courtney cox.

28. .