UK Fans of the Day Want…to Cheer for Louisville?

536566_10100738639577290_920014434_n

I freely admit to being surprised about these polling results. The Public Policy Polling group took a survey of Kentucky citizens and asked, among other questions, who they would be rooting for this weekend as Louisville goes for the title. Here were some of the results:

1. Are you Rooting for Louisville to win the National Title?

No: 12%
Not Sure: 10%

2. Do you consider yourself more of a UK or UL fan?

Kentucky: 68%
Louisville: 20%
Not Sure: 12%

So there you go…more people rooting for UL to win than you would think. I am sure part of the support for UL comes from the “non-hardcore” fans that populate such surveys and from the age bracket of the survey (68% of those surveyed were over the age of 45). But still, somewhat surprising.

You can see the entire poll results here.

Article written by Matt Jones

91 Comments for UK Fans of the Day Want…to Cheer for Louisville?

1. Charles Barkley
    4:32 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

You kiddin me?! That’s TURRIBLE!!!!!

2. JKUK
    4:32 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

48% of those surveyed are over 45, not 68%, Matt

3. UK Fan #5
    4:34 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

So there is obviously a 58% margain of error on the poll.

4. 8generationsblue
    4:34 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Hope UL loses by 100!

5. JKUK
    4:34 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Disregard what I just said please…

6. Roland
    4:36 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Mrs TT post bumping heads with yours?
    error message here

7. Roland
    4:36 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

here is the message:

Sorry, no posts matched your criteria.

8. btowncatfan
    4:36 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Wow, we are an old state if poll results are accurate.

9. 1%er
    4:37 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

#1, since ur life su[£s, I have something 4 u.

10. Go cats
    4:37 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

This poll is always 40% right all the time. It’s also made with bits of real panther so you know it’s good.

11. Danny
    4:38 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

I would have checked the box “HELL NAAAAAW!”

12. Roland
    4:39 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

here is the link for Mrs TT (next) post:

13. Too Late
    4:39 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

So the morning after pill went over the counter too late for a lot of people.

14. BlueFins
    4:39 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Must’ve been old people they polled, because no one has land line anymore.

I would never root for UL. Will not be watching the game.

15. TARRASQUE
    4:40 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

#3 – 48% 45 to 60 + 20% older than 65 = 68%

16. Sir Brandon
    4:40 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

The poll also indicateth that liberal socialists are not the only ones to root for the Cards.

17. Rickey
    4:41 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Where was the poll taken? Downtown Louisville. No way that’s accurate

18. BobKYCats
    4:41 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

I’m all in on the Wolverines tonight.

19. Catlanta
    4:44 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Go Michigan!!!!

20. cornbreadmafiacook
    4:45 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

not only am I a big fan of the wolverines tonight (GO BIG BLUE! just feels right), but I wish I had the power to take the ’80 and ’86 titles from them as well

21. mr obvious
    4:46 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

WOLVERINES!!!!

22. westerncat
    4:46 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

A real UK fan would never root for UL.

23. I have a dirty mind
    4:46 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

woman in middle has curious fold in her dress.

24. Joe
    4:47 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

PPP is notorious for over sampling urban areas. While I haven’t seen the tabs chances are Louisville respondents were inflated. 68% is a joke.

25. Inspector
    4:48 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

U of L fans pulled out all the stops to make this poll look like Cat fans were pulling for them to win.

26. CatGrad7072
    4:49 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

What #18 said!!! I’m calling BS on this poll. GO MICHIGAN!

27. Laker Cat 18
    4:51 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Yeah I’m taking these 1,000 citizens (most likely Kentucky nursing home population) into account out of the almost 4.4 million Kentuckians residing in this great state.

28. atlantacat
    4:52 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

68% is not a joke and probably very true. Us “old folks” remember what it was like when Pitino came to UK. Most of you on here weren’t born yet and if you were, too young to know the situation. Look, you kids can hate Pitino all you want. His election into the Hall of Fame today was in part for what he did for UK. Because of that, I’ll have respect for him. There’s a reason he has a retired jersey in Rupp and it has nothing to do with him now being at UL. Some of you really need to grow up; MJ, you’re one of them.

29. Idunno
    4:53 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

I can’t speak to the accuracy of the poll, but I have never cheered against any team. Doesn’t seem sportsmanlike. Fill your hearts with love and life will become SO much easier. Hate is a very very heavy burden. I will cheer for the ‘cats, but never against Louisville. Those feelings will poison your soul, man.

30. Todd Svoboda
    4:54 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

F*ck Louisville!

31. BigBlue
    4:54 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

78% rooting for UofL???!!! Are you kidding me???!!!! GO MICHIGAN!!!!!

32. Cats
    4:54 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

A real UK fan would realize that he/she is above Louisville and hope the little brother has some success. We shouldn’t lower ourselves to that standard. After all, does Ohio State care about Cincinnati? No, they’re too busy worrying about the bigger fish

33. inlinefor9
    4:55 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

This poll had to have been taken in Louisville and I say that as a resident of the city. Here’s why:
    53% consider themselves moderate or liberal

And more importantly:
    51% consider themselves Democrat

Without really researching in depth, I believe Louisville is the only market where you would see these numbers. The rest of the state swings conservative. So you end up with people that have interests in both UK and UofL. For the record, I hate UofL.

34. El Guapo
    4:56 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Must’ve taken this poll outside a tattoo parlor.

WOLVERINES!

35. El Guapo
    4:57 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Also, girl, those pink boots are HIDEOUS! Do you expect to get caught in a cotton-candy downpour?

36. Kaptain Kat!
    4:57 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Some of UK fans perplex me. I love my CATS, however I would rather see little sister win the National Title than some other out of state schools or SEC competition. Why do most UK fans not have a problem cheering for an SEC rival in a title game, like Alabama in football, but hate it when Louisville does well (non-SEC)? Go figure????????

37. Robster
    4:59 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Go Michigan!!!

38. Jim
    5:00 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

#34 nope that poll was taken outside of the Jailhouse…LOL

Tonight I am a Michigan fan and I would burn in hell before pulling for Louisville!

39. duh
    5:01 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

36) it’s a rivalry. Alabama is not our rival in anything. Keep up, Kaptain

40. CatsFanMike
    5:04 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Rooting for the Cards to bring the trophy to the Commonwealth this year. Let’s keep it at least 5 years in the Commonwealth; they can win it one year.

41. JDawg
    5:04 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

This is why the Louisville / Kentucky rivalry never gets as much play as UNC/Duke, Ohio St./Michigan.

42. brain
    5:04 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

100% of the people I asked said they would rather have a root canal while getting a colonoscopy with the same instrument and no sedation than to see UL win tonight.

43. Roland
    5:05 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

girl in pink boots has hair down to her a..

44. BPM
    5:06 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Any alleged UK fan who says they are rooting for Louisville obviously doesn’t live in Louisville. You just don’t understand. I “cheer” for other SEC schools etc. because, for the most part, their fans are respectful. Louisville fans are the worst (Indiana fans pretty close) and I would never give them the satisfaction of “rooting” for their team. Make no mistake, these people would never root for UK, openly root against UK, and have said everything bad that could be said about UK since the beginning of time. F them. Go Michigan!

45. Roland
    5:07 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

maybe it was a contrast thing on my puter?

46. TheNewOriginal
    5:07 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

36 Kaptain Kat/ Agree completely. I guess we’re not “real” UK fans? I’ve gotten into bar fights over comments toward UK (in Indiana and Tennessee.) I doubt that many of the superfans on here would take it outside if someone insulted UK. For tonight, Go UL, bring it home to Kentucky.

47. ME
    5:09 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Hey, F uofl and F any ‘UK fan’ that pulls for uofl.

And if any of you panty wastes take issue with that, meet me at Eculid and Woodland, one year from tonight – I’ll be wearing blue UK gear.

48. big brother
    5:10 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Hopefully if the Tards win they will not stop at burning couches…..burn the whole damn city!!! GO TARDS!!!

49. ksr clowns
    5:11 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Thats right ksr clowns, the fanbase of the university of kentcky expands way beyond the comment section on this website( which is getting worse by the day). Thank god too, because 90% of you people are delusional Dbags! Its funny how all of ksr army cries when the national talking heads make reference to the BBN as a “wacky” fanbase. I dont believe that to be a true, but if anyone gets on this blog and reads the comment section, its hard to argue. Some of you poor pitiful people need help!……#28 I agree 100% . These clowns just follow opinion of matt jones. His word is gospel around here.

50. Cats
    5:12 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

The reason UofL fans are so obnoxious is because they want UK to acknowledge them. This is what the little brother wants. They shouldn’t even be relevant

51. BPM
    5:15 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

For you UL lovers, if this poll was reversed, 100% of those UL fans polled would have said they were rooting against UK and that UK fans were worthless rednecks who lived in trailers. If you want to join those terds in cheering for UL then by all means do so.

52. gotsh$tright
    5:16 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

poor Matt. Not everyone agrees with him, so he tries to insult them

53. harry
    5:26 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

47. Why so much hate? let it go, we have no dog in this fight. Im not cheering against/for anyone tonight.

54. harry
    5:27 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

im not sure if im even gonna watch, i’ll find out in the morning.

55. Brew Crew
    5:27 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

I for one am a Wolverine fan tonight.

56. Sasquatch78
    5:27 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Do you have a younger sibling that just tries to do everything you do, but they just don’t do it quite as well? When you are younger you are aggravated and flustered with them, but there comes a point in your life where this all changes and you start to root for their success. It usually happens when you realize that they are not serious long term competition for you.

Not only do we like to laugh about UL being our little brother, but the polls show that even the casual fans agree. They can’t be considered a serious rival until casual people are closer to a 50/50 split in these types of polls.

I am a NKY alumni and I hate UL, but my family (all of which are UK fans) is rooting for them to win it all. They consider Duke (Laettner), KU (wins), UCLA (titles), and UNC (wins) as our only rivals. All other rivalries (especially UL) is purely regional, because we are not on the same ballpark as a team that has as many titles as Oregon.

57. Bledsoe's Biceps
    5:29 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Glad to see some proof that most people in Ky do hope UL wins. Contrary to what Matt has been preaching for weeks, most people in Ky do not agree with his childish view. Most mature adults do believe a UL championship is good for the UK vs UL rivalry and good for the state of Ky.

58. harry
    5:29 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

as far as if the roles where reversed, I could care less if Louisville fans rooted against us. ALL WE NEED IS BBN !!!!

59. Big Blue Lou
    5:31 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Is there a podcast of todays show??? Where is the link?

60. justaguy
    5:33 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Why is everyone worried about what UL fans would do in the revers? Just be better than that. You shouldn’t base your personality on the actions of others. Oh well, haters gonna hate.

61. John
    5:36 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

I think a lot of people are lying. They are really rooting against Louisville, but they are saying the opposite, that way if Louisville wins, they won’t take too much crap. They will just say “Hey I was rooting for them” but it isn’t true.

62. blah blah
    5:37 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

51) im not a ul lover, but I’m smart enough to give credit where credit is due. If ul wins tonight this blog will be full of message board nerds complaining the refs won the game for them etc. I dont care who wins tonight.you know why? Because neither of these teams are on kentucky’s level.fans like yourself that scream I HATE THIS AND I HATE THAT have no pespective. Im sure the louiville fans you know see right through that.

63. Bluegoose41
    5:38 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

I am a hard core UK fan. Not quite 45 years old but close. In previous years, there would be no way I would pull for the Cards. However, us winning it last year and the fact that U of L has some really good kids on the team, makes it easy for me to root for them. Louisville is also a great city to live in as I have only lived hear a short time.

So for tonight only—GO CARDS!!!!

64. DT in DC
    5:39 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

I think the funniest part is 12% aren’t sure which team they like the best.

65. BPM
    5:40 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

I care because I have to deal with UL fans every day. I don’t really care if you root for UL, but know that you are rooting with a fanbase that does not respect you, insults you to no end, and belittles everything about you. I won’t root for them and if that is childish, so be it.

66. BPM
    5:45 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

By the way, I love the city of Louisville, respect UL and its players, respect what Pitino did for us in the 90’s and don’t “hate” UL at all. I would never in my life root for them though and hope they lose every time they play.

67. Bluekzu
    6:07 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

65. It’s a defensive stance, and a twisted form of respect, much like how we do with Duke, NC, and other powerhouse rivals. The state is UK blue by a large margin, and Louisville fans are acutely aware that they’re outnumbered and play second fiddle to the state school, thus the “we don’t like you anyway” attitude you see toward Kentucky and UK fans. They would probably honestly love to have the state behind them, but have never had that. It’s not what you’re supposed to do as a rival, but as this hardly ever happens for them, and might be nice.

68. Michael F. Jox
    6:12 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

#64 – Women & retards, probably.

Look at all those hot girls posing with that jockey 🙂

69. smh
    6:19 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

It’s most likely those feel-good liberals that just want what they think, in their own misguided way, would be the best for the state. The same folks that were sad when Ashley Judd decided she didn’t want to get beat by Mitch McConnell.

70. SLINGBLADE
    6:24 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

you couldn’t take that pole on U.L campus and find that many people rooting for the TARDS..besides, any pole on U.L. campus has a fat chick swinging off it.

71. Johnboy
    6:28 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

I already have a list of people I will not be celebrating with when UK wins number 9. If you aren’t fan enough to sit here and watch a rival succeed and just have to take it, you aren’t a true fan. You don’t get the glory without the pain. UK till my last day

72. Kevin R
    6:47 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

A true big blue fan could never pull for Louisville. I’m proud
    To say I will not be cheering for the cardinals tonight. I hope Michigan bests them by 25
    Points. Go Blue!

73. Kelsey Grumblatt
    6:55 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

It makes me SICK seeing that poll! I could never root for them in any sport!! Being from Louisville and growing up around them was bad enough, now let’s all go cheer on some BLUE, just another shade of it….

74. catmedic
    6:59 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

if you had a gun to my head and told me to cheer for ville i would tell you to pull the trigger!

75. Yep
    6:59 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

First, for all of you fans who think we hate Stinkville, because Matt says so. What a joke. I think Matt is a horses behind and could careless what he says or thinks. I do appreciate him providing this site for us fans to gather and discuss things though. I hated Loserville before Matt was even born.
    Second, Those fans that think we hate Louisville because Pitino is there. Another joke. I have hated U of Smell since before Pitino accepted his first coaching gig.
    Third, I would like to kick Pitino square in the …..for calling them little brother. A little brother is someone who annoys the heck out of you but you love them anyway and would die to protect them. I don’t love them and sure as heck wouldn’t protect them. If they were on fire and I had a full gallon jug, the only way I would pour it on them is if it were full of gas.
    Fourth, I doubt seriously that 68% of the people in Louisville want to see them win, no less 68% of the people in Kentucky. Anyone that believes so is the one that is delusional and should not be allowed to post comments.
    Fifth, I am not threatened by UL. if they won every year and we never won a game, I would still be a Cat fan. Where I come from, there are things you just don’t do. And root for Louisville is one of those things. I would never root for Satan to be the final victor. I would never root for those that enslave people over those that would free people. I would never root for a tyrant over a person that loves his country and wants to see all of it’s people thrive. And I sure as hell wont ever root for Louisville.

76. Johnny
    7:03 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

In other news, readers of this website are the worst uk fans. I will root for ul tonight just like I would if it were wku or eku or nku. I love UK, graduated from UK (unlike Mr. Jones) but I’m not an asshole uk fan.

77. Dee
    7:04 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Most UK fans do cheer for UL…including the die hard fans…..keep the title in the state..UK fans don’t like duke, IU, Kansas, ucla, UNC…we would rather have UL win than those teams

78. catmedic
    7:12 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

i am a die hard fan for over forty years and yes i dislike iu,unc,duke etc. i hate ville and would rather see anyone win it but them. go blue!

79. jaws2
    7:19 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Could care less what happens. My team is not in this. I wouldn’t give a card fan the satisfaction of thinking I gave a crap what happens to them. Just the way it is.

80. Bluegoose41
    7:19 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

#73–You don’t know me well enough to make that statement. In fact, you don’t know me at all. I am pulling for Louisville tonight because of the kids….and because I do appreciate what Pitino did when he was at UK. I AM AS TRUE OF A BIG BLUE FAN AS THERE IS!!!!

81. kybigblue
    7:31 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Doesn’t take a genius to understand why older UK and UL fans are more likely to support the other team in this situation. When they were growing up UK did not play UL so the rivalry wasn’t there.

82. KB
    7:44 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

I am a hardcore UK fan who never misses a game. Even drove to Syracuse in March 2010 to watch Cats play in the NCAA. Been following the Cats for three decades. If they can’t win the Big Dance then I want another Kentucky school to win. Still remember all Pitino did for us and will be happy to see him earn another title.

83. Culver
    8:00 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

I personally hope UofL loses on a last second shot…we’ll make it hurt so much more!

84. mike riggs
    8:08 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

i cant believe true blue fans would pull for ul,ksr is almost turning red, matt will be having lunch with jurich before long

85. AM I HOT OR NOT
    8:32 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

FROM Left to right: 7….9….6….7…..8…..4…..5….5

86. kramer
    8:37 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

I will cheer for Michigan, i’ll be nice and say congrats to the cards and good luck, don’t really mean it though.Last year all we heard was oh if we “ul” could have hit shots we would have beat UK , they say they gave UK best game ..blah, blah blah…see just can’t, I live here in Louisville so this is going to be a hellacious next couple days…

87. Chad
    8:55 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

Anyone really pulling and publicly cheering for UL should just switch over and be a UL fan because I don’t want you cheering for my team. This means you are a fairweather fan IMO and UL is better suited to accompidate you. I don’t get down with flip floppers and you are a flip flopper.

88. CAUKFAN
    11:29 pm April 8, 2013 Permalink

You can’t be Big Blue and root for the Dirty Bird……you just can’t.

89. Kaptain Kat!
    12:42 am April 9, 2013 Permalink

Luckily 88 and 89 don’t get to make the rules! Lol

90. LeastPopularCatfanonKSR
    7:29 am April 9, 2013 Permalink

88…and the rest of you juvenile knuckleheads, particularily MJ. I’ve been a UK fan for longer than most of you have been alive! Don’t dictate to me who I should root for and try to stir the UK/UofL hatred. Last time I checked Louisville is in the state of KY, Matt Jones should be ashamed for his asanine stand on such matters. I’m no more against UofL than I am the creators of this childish site for excelling at their endeavor. Another tidbit to chew on dingdongs, were it not for RP 2 of the banners that hang in Rupp Arena “would not” be there, you think “Our Program” was in a rut with the BCG fiasco, go back to 89/90 we were lower than at any point in our long storied history! Thank you Rick Pitino and congratulations to Louisville!!!