UK Fans of the Day Want Notes From the Road

We are on the way to Columbia, Kentucky, where the excitement of the KSR Tour finds its way to the local Burger King. I haven’t had a Whopper in quite some time, and Ryan Lemond has already said he will eat two. So while we get ready, some thoughts from the weekend:

— The UK Football Fan Day was a success for the Cats, with what has been described to me as a “better than last year” crowd. It caps a UK football weekend that saw Media Day, Fan Day and some renewed energy for the football team. Count me among those really impressed at Joker’s passion during his interview with me on Friday. I loved how he questioned me for not “believing” in the team and explained why he thought this could be a good year. As he said throughout the interview, this group hasn’t “made a play or moved the chains”, but he still thinks the future is bright. That “show me before I believe” mentality probably has caused many to have negative reactions to the team, but I continue to creep towards belief that things might be better than we imagine. I certainly hope so, because as the interview on Friday reminded me, Joker is an extremely likeable guy who I really want to see succeed.

— I think the funniest story of the weekend without question is the errant Tom Crean tweet from Friday. Crean says that his tweet, in which he referenced someone he saw last weekend and noted that “I have been thinking about you a lot since last weekend. A whole lot” was meant to be sent to a recruit. If so, that is the creepiest message in the history of recruit text messaging. In fact, the notion that it could be a recruit means that I will never worry about UK losing a recruit to Indiana again. But let’s be real here…you and I both know that wasn’t meant to be towards a recruit. We know awkward attempts to spit out game when we see them. It’s ok Tom…you can just admit if it was your attempt at getting some strange. We won’t judge…but we might laugh.

— I was in Cincinnati this weekend at a Reds game and saw an attractive woman keeping score in a scorebook. That got me to wonder…as a man who loves the idea of a woman who truly loves sports (and listens to sports radio shows hosted by tall, goofy hosts), what are some things you could see a woman do to showcase her sports love that would make them even more attractive to you? It was a topic for my friends and I this weekend and it certainly has me coming up with some ideas myself.

— Finally, there was a lot of talk this weekend about Nerlens Noel potentially performing poorly at the Adidas Nations event against some other college competition. Most of the expressions of negativity came from DraftExpress.com’s Jonathan Givony, who said his performance was terrible. As I have said often on radio, Nerlens Noel will take awhile to get to his potential. He won’t be as good as Anthony Davis next year offensively and there will be a growing process. But he is good…really good. And Jonathan Givony’s opinion on his talent has as much weight to me as Kate Moss’s on food. Givony last year in Connecticut said to me that he hated Kentucky and that “UK fans are the dumbest on Earth.” He has criticized MKG, said Brandon Knight had a “bad attitude” (dumbest statement ever made) and is one of Demarcus Cousins’ loud detractors. His reasons for dislike of Kentucky is unclear, but the fact that he was denied an attempt to interview Calipari last year prior to the NBA Draft (and made some snide remarks afterwards) could be the source. Whatever it is, Noel’s future will be at worst, as a very good college player and at best, a star. Nothing Givony, or his lack of a sunny disposition, says will alter that.

See you folks in Columbia, home of Lindsey Wilson, the school once attended by our own Shannon the Dude.

Article written by Matt Jones

26 Comments for UK Fans of the Day Want Notes From the Road

1. Jimmy
    9:03 pm August 5, 2012 Permalink

Matt, is it true what the trolls are saying about Nerlen leaving the camp early because of poor play?

2. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    9:03 pm August 5, 2012 Permalink

the Noel stuff is the biggest non story I’ve heard in a while

3. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    9:04 pm August 5, 2012 Permalink

more like Lindsey Trillson

4. dt510
    9:09 pm August 5, 2012 Permalink

no way more people at fan day this year, very poor crowd

5. chardun
    9:10 pm August 5, 2012 Permalink

That horse thing is creepy.

6. gog8ors
    9:15 pm August 5, 2012 Permalink

Anthony Davis isn’t walking through that door folks, that ship has sailed. That being said, Nerlens isn’t Davis and isn’t going to bring UK another championship. Maybe you get one in another 14 years but it isn’t happening this coming year. Get over it. Nerlens sucks, deal with it. Go Gators!

7. ChompOnThis
    9:21 pm August 5, 2012 Permalink

Thanks for the laugh 6. Coming from a fan of a team who gets cakes for signing good recruits. Lol now that’s good stuff!

8. ChompOnThis
    9:23 pm August 5, 2012 Permalink

Would love to stomp the gators 3 times a year…AGAIN!

9. Isaac in Long Beach
    9:23 pm August 5, 2012 Permalink

Man, I can’t wait to see what 6 says when we trounce the Gators twice (at least) this season.

Oh wait, he won’t say anything, because he’s a stupid troll.

10. Ben
    9:26 pm August 5, 2012 Permalink

I was at both and this year was the same or slightly less than last year. I thought the team looked better and more focused than last year.

11. kentuckyjoe
    9:28 pm August 5, 2012 Permalink

scorekeeping – My wife has an official NCAA scorebook and when we watch UK games, and we watch them all, she keeps score. She gives me up-to-the-second stats whenever I inquire. It’s just her and I sitting at home watching the game but she has that scorebook on her lap. And she puts in the lineups in the afternoon in preparation. She has to do internet research to find out the rosters of the opposing teams. And she is the official scorekeeper for our local community college’s women’s basketball team. So, she and the lady you saw Matt, well they would be good friends.

12. Got CAL?
    10:01 pm August 5, 2012 Permalink

Crean, like alot of people caught in a lie, tell half truths. He did have a problem with technology. But it was trying to text someone when he sent it on twitter. He wanted to say “thanks for the creanjob”.

13. KYCat04
    10:05 pm August 5, 2012 Permalink

I was at the event Noel played in. i must admit, it was pretty brutal. I’m sure Cal will work his magic and he will be fine.

14. Notsurprised
    10:09 pm August 5, 2012 Permalink

If everyone was honest to themselves the. They should be surprised by Noel’s play. He looked like a$$ is the all star games too.

15. Eric K
    10:21 pm August 5, 2012 Permalink

maybe, yes, what the hell, yes, maybe. GO CATS!!!

16. JetersPenis
    10:46 pm August 5, 2012 Permalink

Didn’t know Sarah Jessica Parker was at one of our games…hope she got plenty of alfalfa and sugat cubes…

17. Takethoseonionsoffmysliders
    10:48 pm August 5, 2012 Permalink

The crowd at fan day proves how disappointed UK fans are about the program. They will win 4 games this year, write it down.

18. News
    10:54 pm August 5, 2012 Permalink

Fortunately for us, Nerlens isn’t the only player suiting up for the Cats. Hopes for a repeat title won’t be resting squarely on his shoulders. We’ve got a few other decent recruits and returning players that might just help a bit.

19. JBR
    11:26 pm August 5, 2012 Permalink

Finally listened to the Joker interview…s.o.s…he just doesn’t get it, constantly contradicting himself. Sad…I really would like a KY guy to get it right, but this is just brutal.

20. Hal
    11:45 pm August 5, 2012 Permalink

trying to get some strange? we all know crean’s tweet meant for peter jurkin

21. damatty
    3:09 am August 6, 2012 Permalink

Jim Harbaugh would squash Crean like a bug if he was cheating on Harbaugh’s sister. I’d be careful Tommy.

22. putinrichie
    5:18 am August 6, 2012 Permalink

3 quick hitters:
    1.) Givony at draft express is a tool who has a very self-inflated view of himself. His analysis is not something that anyone should listen to.
    2.) On to Nerlens Noel, he is a good player with tons of potential, but I don’t think a lot of UK fans realize just how raw Noel is at this point. He is not Anthony Davis and expecting anything close to similar is unfair to Noel. Noel will be one and done off potential alone and I won’t blame him because he will be a Top 10 pick, but he is a guy who would really benefit from at least 2 years of college. Similar to Terrence Jones and Patrick Patterson, I really hope that Noel comes back to work on his game and potentially to win a title for selfish reasons.
    3.) #19 – I get the impression that you listened to Joker’s interview expecting him not to get it and trying to spin every word. I will be the first to admit that Joker isn’t the best speaker in the world, but he’s taken responsibility more than any coach I’ve ever seen. He’s made this his own and in every loss we’ve had under Joker, hes owned up to the problems.

23. Will S
    9:23 am August 6, 2012 Permalink

Nerlens is severely overrated. Period. He has exactly 0 post moves and can’t score unless he’s spoonfed a dunk. Heck of a defensive player, though.

24. theSkinny81
    9:51 am August 6, 2012 Permalink

23 – and yet hes still the top pick (or 2nd) in most mock drafts. ill take my chances with Noel….

25. DesignatedDrinker
    10:02 am August 6, 2012 Permalink

Women who scream at refs for bad calls are hot. Also, being a huge NFL fan, I like women who know fantasy football numbers and who good players are. As far as Noel goes, if you put more stock in some guy from a 2 bit site’s opinion than Calipari’s than you are hopeless. Cal has a better eye for NBA talent than anyone in the game today. In Cal I trust.

26. Hung like a...
    7:13 pm August 6, 2012 Permalink

What the **** is wrong with that horse?!