UK Fans of the Day Want Notes from the Road

We only had one minute of on-air technical difficulty in Monticello today, but that was only because of some late scrambling before airtime. The Conley Bottom Marina is a beautiful place, with some very attractive people running around (especially at this weekend’s event I hear), but the cell signal isn’t great. But we got the ethernet cord on lock and we had fun with what was one of the two largest crowds on the trip. The folks of Wayne County showed their KSR love, giving us a key to the city, proclaiming August 9th “KSR Day” and making us feel right at home. As we now sit at a cottage at the Lake Cumberland resort, the Lake beckons, but we first must give a few notes from the road. Tomorrow its Jamestown and then a much needed weekend break. A few thoughts:

— The story of the day is Jeff Goodman’s accusation that John Calipari tried to get him fired and his confirmation that he has an anti-Calipari bias. When I first got word that Goodman had dropped that opinion on a radio show, I was shocked. The rumor of Calipari going after Goodman has long existed and been bandied about in media circles, but for Jeff to say it publicly was truly stunning. He has now publicly admitted that he doesn’t like Calipari personally and that it’s hard to be objective. I like Jeff as a person…when he isn’t yelling at me at the Peach Jam, I have found him entertaining and charming. BUT, I have always thought his argument that he was fair to Calipari to be not true.

In Monticello, they had a dog on a surfboard…he is already more adventurous than I am

— The World Wide Wes story on CBS was essentially nothing. Some coaches think he matters, some don’t. A number of jealous quotes from anonymous coaches were cited and we really learned nothing. In the end, World Wide Wes continues to be a mystery…a true American creation. What will be interesting is to see what CBS writes tomorrow, when they list the coaches who other coaches think is cheating. Who will make the list? I will give you one guess.

— Quick Football note. I hear nothing but positivity coming from UK football practice this week, even from sources that usually flood me with negativity. Everyone says the team is motivated, has the best looking athletes on the field in years and are ready to make an impact. Most won’t believe anything until the first game, but my optimism continues to increase. If you can’t get into this team now, I am not sure when you will. The time for negativity and debate will be there later in the year if things go South…but for now, the young players have me thinking that there could be some surprises on the gridiron this year.

Tomorrow we are in Jamestown at the local tv station and will be talking about all of this and more. Good luck to the Bowling Green Little League Team tomorrow versus Indiana! as they play for the Little League World Series…get it done on a neutral site against the Hoosiers. Until then, check out the podcast from today’s show and enjoy your wonderful evening:

Article written by Matt Jones

17 Comments for UK Fans of the Day Want Notes from the Road

1. alskdjfhg
    10:11 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

Are you talking about the same Jeff Goodman that you had on your radio and TV show numerous times, even after the BS article the day before the Final Four? The same Jeff Goodman that hated on UK every chance he got and still came on your radio and TV show?

Well yeah, I kinda figured out that he hated Cal a long time ago.

2. Jeff Goodman
    10:20 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

As expected my little statement got alot of comments from BBN.On ksr, but the William Wesley articles between both of them only 43 I was for sure BBN, would have jumped all over that.But then again they where speechless let me retract that TOOTHLESS” to comment cause they are scared of the end results if William goes down. And of course they would comment on my little Cal tried to get me fired shows the simplicity of their mice brains.

3. Walter Sobchak
    10:31 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

2) Umm…what?

4. tyson
    10:37 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

did matt just call another man charming?

5. Headofthegame
    10:40 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

That would be a kneeboard Mathew!
    Just giving you a hard time!

6. Logistics
    10:44 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

Sucks you couldn’t do Somerset while already in the area. Paintsville first, then Somerset.

7. UKBlue
    10:46 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

Goodman has arrogantly stuck his foot in his mouth on many occasions, but this has to top them all. If he hadn’t already, he has destroyed what little credibility he had left. It’s one thing to not admit being biased being a reporter, but you totally open pandora box openly admitting it. Unwritten rule in the news business, you never admit the bias.

Congrats CBS, you hired an idiot reporter that now every school & coach now knows has an openly admitted bias. Good Luck Goodman getting any access to Cal or UK from now on.

Can wait for Cal response to Goodman

8. JBR
    12:09 am August 10, 2012 Permalink

I only wish I could be excited and positive about the football program. Joker has just killed it for me. I have heard the same thing each season from Joker before we play a game…how great the guys are, Morgan Newton to the hall of fame, etc. He has to prove it before anyone is going to get excited. It sucks, but he put himself in this position.

One note…is it me or does Jeff Goodman look like he has Downs Syndrome?

9. putinrichie
    6:11 am August 10, 2012 Permalink

8 – I think last year ruined it for you if you had high expectations coming into the season. I am the complete opposite. I expected a train wreck last year and predicted 4-8 or 5-7 in the preseason. Unfortunately, we were as BAD as I thought we would be. This year is different. WE do have MORE TALENT and EXPERIENCE on this years team. I’m not saying that Joker is great or that it will translate into many more wins, but this years team has a lot more than they are getting credit for. I don’t blame a portion of the fans that can’t afford UK tickets but I think they will be missing out on a better football team. This is the make or break year for Joker though. I’m not a Joker apologist at all and if he doesn’t get us back to a bowl than I’m ready for a new coach, but I believe this is a bowl team with the potential to win some SEC games.

10. Reality
    6:21 am August 10, 2012 Permalink

Matt, you are supposed to be some sort of journalist. Yet, you bash and trash other coaches and writers all the time. You hate on Ricky P like he had 15 seconds with your mom. give it up loser.

11. Exactly
    8:40 am August 10, 2012 Permalink

10 thats exactly what he does bad mouths other coaches all day and nite,makes his living feeding bbn crazies .That bs talking bad about Ricky P. The same coach whom breathed life into their program and who was a god way before Cal, arrived in Lexington amazing how they act as if Rick wasn’t a signmifgant part of the history. I would love to have known how Matt acted when Rick was the coach. Ohh Mr.UK himself was busy trying to go to DUKE, why didn’t he go to UK law school since he loves it so much and despices Duke but these slow BBN no teeth fans can’t see they are being pimped by MATT JONES. Taking their last trailer park dollar.

12. Not Exactly
    9:33 am August 10, 2012 Permalink

#10 Are you really saying matt jones should have gone to uk law school over duke law school because hes a uk fan? Dont get me wrong uk law school is a good program but duke is taken a little more seriously academically. After reading your comment I feel bad for you as a human being

13. Not Exactly
    9:34 am August 10, 2012 Permalink

I meant #11

14. Craven
    9:53 am August 10, 2012 Permalink

Hey 11, if you’re gonna slam UK fans for being so stupid, you might want to make sure and check your spelling and grammar. Just sayin’ 🙂

15. Craven
    9:54 am August 10, 2012 Permalink

Is there an hour 1 for the podcast on 8/9/12?

16. Winston
    10:02 am August 10, 2012 Permalink

I’d like to see just one of these articles without the “I like Jeff as a person” disclaimer. Your exceptionally poor taste in friends is of no concern to us.

17. Exactly
    10:12 am August 10, 2012 Permalink

12 & 14 , Funny how you too only picked out the things that don’t matter. Why not comment on the Rick , parts thats the point that irks me with Matt and alot the BBN fans.