UK Fans of the Day Want Notes from the Road

Today KSR was in Madisonville, where we had one of our biggest technical difficulty days of all time…which is saying something. Unbeknownst to us, the Hudson Toyota Chrysler Building does not get Verizon service (come on Verizon!) and thus we couldn’t get a signal. After an hour of work, we were able to make it back on the air and actually had a great show…unfortunately it was a bit late. The crowd in Madisonville, home of Drew Franklin (who is celebrating his third anniversary with the site today) was excellent and kept up our tremendous streak on the tour. We have been in six towns across Kentucky, Glasgow, Morgantown, Bowling Green, Columbia, Morganfield and now Madisonville and in each place, we have had over 40 people come out and watch the show. It truly is amazing to see, especialyl considering that it is 9/10 in the morning when people come out. We are truly blessed and want to thank everyone for what has really been a great experience. As we reach the halfway point of our travels, some notes (and a pic of the shirt made in Madisonville for our stop):

— The confirmation today that Nerlens Noel will be on campus for Kentucky was great news. Noel was always in good shape on qualifying, but he did need a stellar summer of schoolwork to make it happen…which he did. Now comes his time to shut up the doubters and showcase his talents. Chad Ford today noted that Noel had slipped a bit in scouts’ eyes and that is fine. Noel will not be Davis and UK doesn’t need him to be Davis. However what he will be is the best shot blocker in America and a tremendous talent that will improve exponentially as the season goes on. Most importantly, he is a humble kid who knows he needs to work…I wouldn’t trade him for any other Freshman in America next season.

— The latest example of Indiana Hoosier Whine (which really should become a product due to its repetition, is the handwringing today about Trey Lyles decommitting because of John Calipari. There is no proof this is even true, as Lyles’ father suggested in an interview that his son hoped to see North Carolina and Duke. But that hasn’t stopped Indiana fans for blaming Calipari, their boogie monster for anything that goes wrong from global warming to Bobby Knight’s hemorrhoids. While the cause of Lyles’ decommitment may be up for speculation, I could not care less if Calipari had been the cause. When someone commits to a school, especially if it is while they are a Sophomore in high school, I have no problem with other coaches continuing to recruit them. Why should a kid be locked in at that point, prior to the letter of intent, to an early decision? It happens all the time in football and for those that complain, they are doing so with a mentality that I hate in college sports. Tom Crean whined on the internet that some coaches don’t “respect” commitments. Well if that “respect” means essentially saying “the school owns them at the time of commitment”, then I don’t respect them either. Let a kid get all the information that is out there before he goes to college. If you have nothing to hide, why are you worried.

As I always say when someone cheats…the easy thing to do is blame the individual they cheated on you with…but what you should actually do is blame either the relationship (for not being strong) or yourself (for being a loser). If Trey Lyles doesn’t love you any more Tom Crean, look in the mirror at your tweets and striped pants and don’t worry about the other schools.

— Much is being made about the UK tickets getting returned for the UL game and I understand why. UL fans want to brag that they “care” more about football than UK fans, and this year they may be correct. But I remember some Kragthorpe years when no one went to games at Papa John’s and this season’s fervor just cements for me how bandwagon their football fans are. The reality is this…for years Kentucky has had more fan support than they have had success. This year that fan support has diminished a bit. For both UK and UL, we are basketball schools…our football interest ebbs and flows based on success. That is just how it is. UK fans have actually been unbelievably loyal over the years when the quality of the product is considered. Because 2000 of them didnt pay UL $78 bucks to watch a game this year does nothing to diminish that in my eyes. Complain about the decrease in season ticket sales if you wish…that I can get behind. But not giving money to the UL football ticket fun is of no consequence to me.

KSR began our daily coverage of football practice for the first time today. Some of the mainstream media will now officially have their collective heads explode as one of their main KSR criticisms (“You dont cover practices like we do to do reporting!”) may go by the wayside. If you didn’t see Nick Roush’s football practice report, check it out. It is quite good. On Thursday, we hit Monticello in Wayne County for Stop 8 of the KSR State Tour. Listen up and cross your fingers for our technical issues. Until then, this picture a fan sent in from the Cadillac Ranch:

Article written by Matt Jones

30 Comments for UK Fans of the Day Want Notes from the Road

1. Isaac in Long Beach
    10:09 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

And this is the first post about the 2000 returned tickets that DOESN’T blame it on our fans not wanting to go to Louisville because Louisville sucks. Thank God we’re finally being honest with ourselves. Our fans aren’t buying tickets to the Louisville game because WE WANT CHANGE, and not (as this site has tried to say since the story broke) because we’re morally superior to setting foot inside PJCS.

2. MJ4UK
    10:10 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

You’re definitely not getting service with Verizon at Conley Bottom

3. Isaac in Long Beach
    10:13 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

I’ll also throw in the fact that I personally believe that just BEING a Kentucky fan makes anybody morally superior to any Louisville fan.

4. RealReality
    10:21 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

1 the only reason UofL sold more tickets is bc their fans are delusional enough to think that they are a powerhouse this year. Like this post by Matt said, there are plenty of seasons where they didn’t sell many tickets so it’s not really that sad that once in a while they sell out. Also Mitch needs to stay far away from Jurich…unless he’s up-to-date on shots and takes plenty of antibiotic with him.

5. Isaac in Long Beach
    10:23 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

I know your comment wasn’t directed at me, but allow me to agree with you. If Kentucky fans were as delusional as Louisville fans, we’d have sold out our season tickets too.

6. schwing
    10:37 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

well done, fans of the day… well done.

7. Jonathan cooksey
    10:50 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

What’s the odds of Hutch showing up tomorrow at Conley Bottom and replacing Ryan Lemond for the rest of tour.

8. RealReality
    10:51 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

Lol 5. Yeah sorry, I guess the other first comment didn’t make the cut.

9. UKBlue
    11:19 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

All UL fans are fair weather, it’s part of their delusion: UL fans at football games spend most of their time under the stadium smoking, trying to talk to ugly women & women to flat billed tattooed line beard idiots, or just standing around drinking looking douchie. I guess they all forget how many times the Pizza Stadium started clearing out way before the game was over when they were on ESPN getting beat. UL is irrelevant, hence the reason why no real conference wanted them, yet they lie to themselves & think people outside Louisville care about them. UL is going to be even more irrelevant once the Big East eventually loses their automatic bowl bid; don’t think it’s not coming UL fans because it’s right around the corner.

UK sucks in football, have for years, yet fans have gone to football games even when they were about to or got the shit beat out of them; those are true fans. That either makes our fans gluttons for punishment or truly passionate fans. Plus, it’s always a awesome place to meet beautiful women.

10. corinth Brent
    2:47 am August 9, 2012 Permalink

My Heart beats quickly for the fans of the day!

11. Tipton said there 5-10 people at the radio show?

12. Be'lakor
    8:14 am August 9, 2012 Permalink

Excessive black eye make-up is sexy. I love that fan of the day.

13. HOO HOO
    8:30 am August 9, 2012 Permalink

NO HOOSIER FANS ARE WHINING, JONES? CHECK OUT INSIDETHEHALL.COM….NO WHINING THERE. QUIT MAKING STUFF UP THAT YOUR DUMB, REDNECK FANS ARE TOO STUPID TO ACTUALLY INQUIRE ABOUT. OH YEAH, GET SOME REAL TALENT IN YOUR STATE TOO.

#VAC8

14. Beavis
    9:18 am August 9, 2012 Permalink

Appears HOO HOO stops by the Kentucky web site just long enough to impart some of his wisdom upon us. If real talent means Zeller and Crean,,,,well we will just pass. Have you be teaching Crean what to say in his Tweets ??? Bet you helped Sampson out with his phone calls also. Last time I looked we were still NCAA CHAMPS,,,,just get over it,,,you lost.

15. Hahaha
    9:19 am August 9, 2012 Permalink

HOO HOO youre whining about matt jones saying your fan base is whining, on a uk website no less. Take that whine somewhere else.

16. jp7
    9:37 am August 9, 2012 Permalink

Amazing how Noel is heralded as the best player in America by every scouting guru in the nation and then after
    one off weekend all of a sudden he is now Andre Drummond. Just shows how little those guys really know.

17. John Wall
    9:41 am August 9, 2012 Permalink

Good to see ya Mr. Kelly

18. nassau65
    10:46 am August 9, 2012 Permalink

dang girl #3, put that eye makeup on with a putty knife?

19. HOO HOO
    11:02 am August 9, 2012 Permalink

Sorry guys, I forgot to take my meds today and I am very upset because my mom has not brought my meat loaf down here to me yet.. So I apologize, I know I suck at life, and everyone including myself knows that IU is terrible.. I am going to be a good boy now by not bothering you all. I am going to dream about IU being almost a fraction as good as UK and then pleasure myself to this picture I photo shopped of ole Boob Knight choking ME!!

20. STEVE BACK
    12:14 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

I wonder how much money Mitch spent on those silly billboards in Jefferson County? And still can’t sell their tickets to all those hundreds of thousands Big Blue fans in the area????

WHERE are all those bumper sticker Louisville UK fans ??
    You can’t drive anywhere and not see thse ’79 F-250’s with the bull balls hanging from the trailer home hitch covered in UK stickers!!

21. I Wonder
    12:23 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

#20 I wonder how it feels to go to a basketball school that hasnt won a championship since 1986? I cant wait for Joker and Co to cash that reality check in louisville on Sept 2nd

22. Beavis
    12:24 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

The only reason they have those bull balls hanging on the back is to remind you of your favorite position.

23. STEVE BACK
    1:31 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

21 – Joker is writing checks his azz can not cover!! IF UK fans are SO convinced JokerTorpe can can the CARDS…WHY are they sending tickets back to UL Season Ticket Holders(who bought ALL 2060 in 15 minutes)
    Don’t they want to be there when JokerThorpe carries the Governors Cup back to Lessington?????

24. STEVE BACK
    1:31 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

22-Then they would be on YOUR CHIN!!!

25. I Wonder
    2:00 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

#23 Its Labor Day weekend why would anybody want to spend it around a bunch of louisville fans? My friends and I plan on having a great time with a bunch of uk fans cheering on the cats in lexington. Just cause your fans buy your tickets you guys think thats so awesome

26. STEVE BACK
    2:53 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

ALL i hear is that Kayut Fanz will travel ANYWHERE to cheer on their team !! But they are NOT traveling 60 miles?? Or can’t sell the tickets to Louisville resident Kayut Fanz ????

27. I Wonder
    3:50 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

Im sorry, youre right, cats fans obviously dont travel because they dont go to one game in their backyard. Typical louisville fan BS using one example and ignoring reality and facts. All I can say is good luck on Sept 2nd cause the cards need a win or two against the cats, what is it 1 win in the last 9 games in football and basketball combined?

28. Wildcat Nut
    4:19 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

UL sold the 2000 returned tickets in 19 minutes. It’s a huge deal! To those that purchased them and are supporting the team, go Big Blue. To those that have prior commitments on game day but would be there, go Big Blue. To those that truly can’t afford tickets, go Big Blue. To players of UK football that read this garbage, take this as another reason to be fired up. Those of the true BBN support you. We will be small in numbers at the game, but we will be there. With Matt’s philosophy, lets not buy tickets to the next basketball game in Louisville in order not to support the UL ticket fun. Go Cats, and buy the heck out of baskeball tickets UK fans. Support the BBN!

29. Billy Clyde
    4:27 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

Why does Matt ALWAYS put up pics of college girls in his posts?

30. Beavis
    5:26 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

Hate to bust your bubble but there are a bunch of people that just don’t want to come to that lovely city by the sewer,,,,Louisville. I am glad you guys finally have something to cheer about,,,,after that beat down the basketball team put on the Cards last year.