UK Fans of the Day Want Notes from the Road

We are spending the night in Madisonville, getting ready to do the show in Hopkins County. This is of course the home of Drew Franklin and it should be very emotional on the show tomorrow, when he is able to celebrate his KSR life on his home soil. Plus, they have good hamburgers at Ferrel’s. A few notes:

— I wasn’t overly shocked about the news today that UK returned 2,000 tickets for the UL game in Papa John’s Stadium. Yes, it does symbolize some declining fan interest in this year’s team, but we already knew that. But it is also an indication of a bigger issue facing sports, especially football with its huge crowd requirements. Why would going to that game in Louisville be better than watching it at home? Let’s be fair…Kentucky is a huge underdog…Louisville is going to give Kentucky ticketholders the worst seats in the building…the crowd is going to be hostile (at best)…the revenue goes to UL and not UK…it probably will be unbelievably hot…it’s a Sunday of the last long holiday weekend of good weather. And a big screen television makes the picture might good. I can understand why fans would choose not to go. I have less sympathy for not going to UK home games…but a UK road game in Papa John’s with a stadium full of dirty birds? Well, I might not go either.

— Interesting news today about Keith Clanton, a potential late addition to this year’s team. With Central Florida losing players and Seniors available to play now, it would make sense for Kentucky to take Clanton. He is a forward that can score and rebound and would give Kentucky some added size that the team needs. He was All Conference USA first team and the Cats do have some preliminary interest and a scholarship to give. It is still early in the process, but it is worth watching as I can confirm that there is a bit of early interest in his talents for this team.

You might know what Ryan Lemond looks like now…but did you know he once looked like this (far right):

— Today, Indiana’s Top 10 commitment Trey Lyles decommitted and opened up his recruitment again for the 2014 class. This should come as no surprise to anyone, as Lyles blew up this past weekend at the Adidas camp and is now hearing from everyone. Indiana fans are complaining that Kentucky was the cause, and it is likely that Calipari covets Lyles…and who wouldn’t. But the bigger problem for Indiana is not Calipari, but Crean’s “get commits out of the cradle” strategy that Billy Clyde employed here. Often players end up not as good, or when they do, (as in Lyles’ case), they look elsewhere. Or it may just be that Lyles simply didn’t want to deal with Crean’s creepy tweets. Whatever the reason, it is just another chance for Hoosier whine to continue.

The tour is halfway done and we have the stops below remaining. You will see that Paintsville and Lexington now have locations, as the Arby’s there continues the Fast food love of KSR and the Lexington Legends have us in Lexington. Both should be great stops and I hope if you are in the areas, you will come out. As for Madisonville, Hopkins County stand up! We will see you tomorrow morning.

Wed Aug 8: Madisonville Hudson Toyota Chrysler

Thur Aug 9: Monticello Conley Bottom Resort

Fri Aug 10: Jamestown Jamestown TV Station

Mon Aug 13: Paintsville Arby’s

Tues Aug 14: Somerset Gatti’s Pizza

Wed Aug 15: Lexington Lexington Legends Stadium

Thur Aug 16: Middlesboro Cracker Barrel

Fri Aug 17: West Liberty

Article written by Matt Jones

22 Comments for UK Fans of the Day Want Notes from the Road

1. Crean's Twitter
    10:09 pm August 7, 2012 Permalink

I will just send him a direct twitter message and that will do the trick.

2. Has anyone checked the web site that tells you who stopped following you on twitter, to see if there was a woman that stopped following Crean right after his “love” tweet? Maybe that is who he was trying to send it to.

3. Tennesse Wildcat
    10:31 pm August 7, 2012 Permalink

Matt, There is also a really good doughnut shop a few streets over from Ferrel brothers named Golden Glaze. Good stuff. We stop at both places when we go up to gods country and visit Henderson and Union counties where our relatives live. Clanton will definitely play at UK if he decides to come to Lexington.

4. Bowinkle
    10:35 pm August 7, 2012 Permalink

Aahhh the Lange sisters

5. Perez Hilton
    10:44 pm August 7, 2012 Permalink

#4 for the win!! Langatang

6. UKBlue
    10:45 pm August 7, 2012 Permalink

Looking at that picture of Lemond compared to now makes me never want to eat again.

7. dave
    10:49 pm August 7, 2012 Permalink

$78 for crappy seats to uofl-uk…f-ball? i think we all know why no 1 is buying tickets…….

8. Biggass Hungguy
    10:53 pm August 7, 2012 Permalink

The KFC Yum! Center is supposed to stock a renovation fund with millions of dollars each year to make major repairs and improvements.

But the account has dwindled to less than $4,000 – from an April balance of more than $3 million – after arena officials raided it to make a routine debt payment in June, according to documents obtained under the Kentucky Open Records Act.

9. Coach Cal
    11:01 pm August 7, 2012 Permalink

Hey IU fans, I’m doing great. I’ve been thinking about how we ended your season alot. A whole lot. I”ve also been thinking about taking Trey Lyles from you alot. A whole lot. Enough about me, how are you clowns doing?

10. Ken
    11:04 pm August 7, 2012 Permalink

I am amazed that a fan website supports fans’ decisions to not go to a game and support their team. You worry about a hostile crowd? That is cowardly.

11. aengr
    11:26 pm August 7, 2012 Permalink

Who is the ky player in the opening page photo and where was it taken?

12. Big Blue Fan
    2:23 am August 8, 2012 Permalink

Lets just be honest the only reason UK fans aren’t going is because they are tired of UK Admin not supporting the team, hire cheap crappy coaches, and bad mouth the fans after the fans are usually top 25 in attendance watching a mediocre team. Tired of the excuses if Mike Leach was on the sideline I bet you anything no tickets would be returning.

13. WallyWorld
    5:01 am August 8, 2012 Permalink

You forgot the one reason for GOING to the game at Papa John’s Stadium: BEER. I hate the Cards as much as any of you, but I have to admit every other year when I get to swill beer like I’m at a Red’s game, only faster, I absolutely love that freakin’ stadium. We will never have that luxury in the bible-belt SEC so I enjoy the heck out of partyin’ with those line-bearded sons a beeches every other year. And I have a feeling we might sneak up and win one that is not expected this year. And if your lazy a$$ misses being there in person to laugh at the red colored degenerates after they lose the first game of their supposed national championship year, you will never forgive yourself for not going. I would not miss for anything even the small chance of seeing those red scumbags walk dejected out of the pizza bowl if we happen to upset them this year. Go to the game and get wasted, don’t stay home like a wuss.

14. Seymour Butts
    5:50 am August 8, 2012 Permalink

Conley Bottom Resort sounds like a Colonic Hydrotherapeutic wellness center – or a Proctologist’s ‘orfice’.

15. Brian
    7:28 am August 8, 2012 Permalink

I am laughing so hard write now at all the excuses offered for UK’s inability to sell its allotment of tickets for the U of L-UK football game. It looks like the “Little Blue Trailer Park” is NOT the most loyal fans in the world and they do NOT travel as well as you idiots claim to!! Hell, Your program can’t even sell out Freedom Hall for your now defunct home game in Louisville! UK fans are such a bunch of uneducated classless hypocrites!! I will continue to laugh about this for a long long time!!!!!!!!

16. ted
    7:41 am August 8, 2012 Permalink

#15 – you can’t even properly use “write” v. “right” in a sentence. I find it utterly hilarious how elementary that grammatical mistake is, and add the fact that you try to call UK fans “uneducated” later on in the rant just makes it that much funnier.

17. Steve-O
    8:03 am August 8, 2012 Permalink

By the way, in Lexington it’s Whitaker Bank Ballpark.

18. JayCee
    8:29 am August 8, 2012 Permalink

$20 says “Brian” has a sub-12th grade education and labors for a living.

19. 3 fan
    9:11 am August 8, 2012 Permalink

18, its obvious that 15 is a troll, but your comment is pointless. Is there a problem with “labors for a living”? You mean we should look down on those who do service industry jobs or dig ditches for a living? Hey, I have two degrees and can’t touch the money that a good plumber or electrician makes.

Your comment comes off as elitist and ugly. Do better.

20. Rockfield, KY
    9:41 am August 8, 2012 Permalink

15. Thanks for the continued website hits from your fanbase. It really helps me in selling advertisements and generating revenue. I’m sure you and your kind don’t understand these things, so I feel the need to explain it to you. Please feel free to keep returning and posting.
    -Matt Jones

21. ryan
    11:02 am August 8, 2012 Permalink

how in the hell did that picture from my bedroom end up on KSR? @mandylemond is couch bound

22. Biglaw Dawgin'
    4:44 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

Nice job on the fans of the day, MJ.