UK Fans of the Day Want Notes from the Road

Fun day today in Columbia, where we had a good crowd at the new Burger King (nicest one I have ever been to if I do say so myself) and met a lot of great people. We are on our way to Morganfield, Kentucky, which means that as you read this, I am in a car driving down I-64 West, headed to Henderson to stay for the night. Hendo here we come. A couple of thoughts:

— From all I hear, Morgan Newton has looked the better Quarterback early in the practice rotation for Kentucky. This doesn’t mean that he will end up getting the starting job as both Joker and Andre Woodson were quick to say Maxwell Smith began camp as the leader. But from two different people who attended early practices, I am told that Newton has looked the part thus far. The problem for Joker is that if Morgan starts, the fans will not be happy and will be awaiting a mistake in order to express their displeasure. When opening day begins, I still expect to see Smith under center, but it looks as if Newton is intent on making it a battle from moment one.

— An interesting tidbit on an interview that was published today at Cats Illustrated. Freshman Running Back Justin Taylor was asked if facilities mattered in his decision (you may remember that Joker Phillips said in his interview with me that they have never mattered in his memory with any recruit). He said:

And when he toured the Nutter football training facility, Taylor formed a first impression of UK.

“I’m looking around like, man, I’m going to ‘Bama,” Taylor said. “They’re way better than this.”

Still Taylor came to Kentucky, but remember this…facilities matter.

— After a bad first couple of games, Kyle Wiltjer had a huge Sunday at the Adidas Nations, scoring over 20 points in two games. These games are nothing but glorified pickup affairs, so little should be taken from them. With that said, after all the bad news on the play of Nerlens Noel, a bit of good news on Kyle can at least cheer up the day. There will be games that Kyle absolutely lights up the scoreboard this year. The key for him are the other games and making sure he is still a positive on the court, even when his shot isn’t falling.

— Tom Crean…awesome.

The show kicks off tomorrow at 10 am. Make sure and check in. And until then, remember…we are just 26 days from taking down the Cards in Papa John’s…

Article written by Matt Jones

25 Comments for UK Fans of the Day Want Notes from the Road

1. Kelly
    9:36 pm August 6, 2012 Permalink

If Newton is the better QB and Joker starts Smith just because of grumbling by fans then let the search begin. I thought Smith looked better last year, but players can get better and if Newton proves better in practice then that’s who should start.

2. chair
    9:37 pm August 6, 2012 Permalink

somebody in Henderson get Matt and the crew over to Rookies!

3. sororigrrlz
    9:39 pm August 6, 2012 Permalink

Those girls are everything that is wrong with UK.

4. orangejello
    9:44 pm August 6, 2012 Permalink

Matt- Not sure if you have a way to get in contact with “The Truth”, but Henderson is only 10 minutes or so from Evansville. Might brighten his recovery if you could swing in and say hi. Maybe hook him up with a free tshirt or something. Just a thought…

5. snarkster
    9:44 pm August 6, 2012 Permalink

I’d love to be the meat in that sandwich, Hur, hur, hur, hur.

6. KYCat04
    9:49 pm August 6, 2012 Permalink

Heard Nerlens took his ball and went home after he was exposed for two days. He decided he didn’t want to play yesterday. Hope he toughens up before he gets here.

7. Turtle Man
    9:59 pm August 6, 2012 Permalink

I’d let them 2 hotties bathe me in a warsh tub anyday! YEEYEEEYEEE! Live Action!

8. theSkinny81
    10:03 pm August 6, 2012 Permalink

heyyyy, i know the girl on the left!

9. SECsports
    10:07 pm August 6, 2012 Permalink

Of course facilities matter when it comes to SEC football. Does anyone in their right mind think Taylor or any other top recruit would’ve picked UK over Bama unless his scholarship offer became dicey? Of course not. Same thing happened to Darryl Collins. The only reason UK got these two is because Bama recruited over them. UK gets the scraps. End of story.

10. Boots45
    10:13 pm August 6, 2012 Permalink

Hendo rocks! Not really but I live there.

11. Alabame
    10:14 pm August 6, 2012 Permalink

Wrong on Newton, Matt. Those 27% didn’t renew their tickets. Since when did any coach give a darn what the fans think, if he decides Newton is the man?

12. bmt22033
    10:18 pm August 6, 2012 Permalink

LOL. I was born and grew up in Henderson (for 18 years anyway) and oddly enough, I can’t recall having ever heard it referred to as “Hendo”. First for everything, I suppose.

13. HendoUKFan
    10:29 pm August 6, 2012 Permalink

13 – It’s been called Hendo for a very long time now. Wonder where the KSR crew will be staying?? Not really any luxury places to stay in Henderson, so I’ll be anxious to hear about their time on the 41 strip haha

14. true BLUE
    10:34 pm August 6, 2012 Permalink

Of course Newton is gonna start. Cause that’s what Pappa Newton wanted, for the younger Newton to sign with UK. The thing that sucks is, I don’t think either Newton is that great for Joker to be making deals.

UK deserves better than Joker.

15. orangejello
    10:40 pm August 6, 2012 Permalink

13- I’ve lived in neighboring union county for 36 yrs. We’ve been calling it Hendo for years. Yall come down to Verley’s tomorrow. Its a cool place. We need to represent the tri state. Ive been thinking about it alot this week. A whole lot…

16. Eric K
    11:46 pm August 6, 2012 Permalink

Yes and Yes! GO CATS!!

17. Conjoker
    12:53 am August 7, 2012 Permalink

If Newton is better start him. If UK wins people will come and watch. Joker started Hartline when the fans wanted Newton so what’s the difference. I didn’t see nothing out of Smith to think he is any better then a SEC back up. It’s not like he is Peyton Manning Newton verry well could give us the best chance at winning. Remember when we were in the same place with Pulley and Woodson.

18. Yummy...
    1:41 am August 7, 2012 Permalink

Finest two slices of white angel cake I’ve seen in a while.

19. huck
    2:11 am August 7, 2012 Permalink

great pic girls… that is so nice, I think I might have just a little perv in me….

20. putinrichie
    5:34 am August 7, 2012 Permalink

1 – I completely agree. If Newton is best and Joker starts Max Smith just because he doesn’t want the backlash than I’m done with Joker. I’m tired of trying to cater to the fans. Do what is best for the program and what will get us wins above everything else. At the end of the day, I care about wins and Joker should too.

21. Jim G.
    8:43 am August 7, 2012 Permalink

Can we PLEASE stop acting like the 3-goggles in exclusively a Kentucky thing?!?!?

22. theWilkman
    10:27 am August 7, 2012 Permalink

You lived here for 18 years and never heard it called Hendo? More 80 year olds read KSR than I thought

23. StateStreetSurvivor
    1:35 pm August 7, 2012 Permalink

Is the girl on the right the infamous “Kate on state”? She looks stunningly familiar

24. Malibu
    11:57 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

Matt Jones stalkin young girls (probably underclassmen) on facebook, in other breaking news the sun will rise tomorrow