UK Fans of the Day Want Mudiay/Site Redesign Update

528032_4547119523038_266176053_n

Two updates on what has been a very hectic 24 hour period:

— The news that Emmanual Mudiay is going to pick a college tonight is surprising and likely not good for UK. I had assumed, as most others had as well, for some time that Mudiay was an almost certain Cat and most of UK’s recruiting had been based on that assumption. But after talking with some folks last night, it now seems that over the last couple of weeks that assumption has faded. For whatever reason, and you can guess as good as I can, SMU has become the recent favorite and Mudiay has visited the campus five times in the last two months. UK remained confident, assuming like most recruits, Mudiay would be blown away by the Big Blue Madness experience, but now comes word he is deciding tonight. The buzz around basketball, with the coaches involved in the recruitment and those that follow it, all points towards SMU being the pick. Folks in Lexington expect him to pick SMU this evening and therefore, so do I. Hopefully he will have a change of heart, or at least postpone the decision (that would be good news for UK), but if Mudiay plans on “shocking the world” becoming the first player in 30 years worth anything to select SMU would certainly do so. When Kentucky offered Tyler Ulis and brought him on campus, it was in part due to worries of fading with Mudiay. Those worries may come to fruition tonight in what would be one of the most bizarre decisions that I can remember. But as we always say in recruiting, things can change and hopefully for UK’s sake, they will.

— The site redesign launched yesterday and went, from our perspective, surprisingly well. Most of you seem to like the new look and comments have been 95% positive, something we weren’t necessarily expecting. We thought there would be much more whining (there usually is) and thus we are very encouraged. That doesn’t mean there are not bugs that need to be fixed. Most importantly, on the iPhone users, the text is smaller than we wish and we are working on a fix…for now you can of course turn your phone sideways (it all fits on screen there and in readable type) but we hope to get a better fix this weekend. Hubby is spending today on it and I think you will find things better soon. We have a couple of other small tweaks as well and hopefully it will be where we want on Monday…then we move to the comment section work. Either way, we thank everyone for their support. My goal in the redesign was to make it slightly (and I mean slightly) more modern looking, while retaining what makes KSR work…and I think we did. I also wanted to recreate some of what made KSR fun in the early years…the community sense and goofy posts. The new “Funkhouser” blog and my personal diary blog will do that…they won’t be for everyone but those that like it I think will really like it.

Our KSR annual conference is today. With a couple of the content changes coming and the designe changes made, you will see KSR improve even more. I think this is still the best site on the internet for UK sports and it isn’t even close. But as we have become bigger, some things have changed. We are planning on getting some of that “old school KSR” feel back with the new sections and we are excited.

More all day as we wait for Mudiay and the KSR crew meets to plan the future….

Article written by Matt Jones

64 Comments for UK Fans of the Day Want Mudiay/Site Redesign Update

1. Changes are not always good!
    11:10 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

The letters are so small now it makes it more difficult to read with my iPhone. Can you guys fix that.

2. KevinM
    11:11 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

Matt, are you trying to trump Drew? You did good, but not sure if that’s good enough.
    Or they could be just new tennis fans you met in your travels…

How about an annual site update instead of every decade? You might get to the 21st century quicker that way.

3. letsgoo
    11:12 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

4. UK
    11:14 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

Until Mudiay says SMU I won’t believe it. But why not go all out for Tyus Jones if he does? Jones visited for the Texas A&M game last yet if I remember correctly and is still going to visit this year too.

5. gillispie's beer
    11:16 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

Nice pic……. and the website is great….. just fix the iphone app and roll on !

6. KentuckyHouse
    11:16 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

Whine, whine, whine…that’s all iPhone users do. Here’s a suggestion…move out of 2007 and get a better phone. Don’t blame the iPhone’s (many) shortcomings on the site redesign. My Android phones and tablets can handle it just fine. Maybe if you could redirect a Twitter link to something other than Safari…oh, that’s right…you can’t.

7. Not totally surprised
    11:17 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

I know this might sound like sour grapes but I was shocked to learn that Mudiay was considered a top 5 player after watching him play 2 high school games last year. They lost the first game and barely won the second one. He had rather pedestrian stats in both games. Maybe he is the kind of player that is ok to sit in the background and not want the spotlight which shows in his game and his likely college choice.

8. steve jobs' ghost
    11:17 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

Wow…shocking that you redneck ass UK fans actually have smartphones. I knew we should have never let at&t sell iphones on prepaid.

9. Happy Reader
    11:17 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

Digging the redesign, but wanted to point out that the links to the RSS feed don’t work on the main page and subpages. They append http://www.rss.com to the end of the link. The RSS feed link should read something like feed:kentuckysportsradio.com/feed not kentuckysportsradio.com/www.rss.com.

10. Concern Citizen
    11:20 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

Matt, where is Santa?

11. KWBT
    11:22 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

If you’re reading this post, you should have one of these:

12. Chip
    11:23 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

So if we lose Mudiay and miss on Jones lets not forget we do have a young Mr Hawkins who has been impressive in the summer so far and will have a year in the system. He will also have a year of playing with Mr Harrison. I think the pressure goes on Tyus Jones and Mr Ulis if so but we do have some backcourt depth to work with as well.

13. youkayfan
    11:24 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

iPhone users can click on individual posts then use the “reader” feature in the address bar of safari. Makes the articles much easier to read. That’s what it’s made for!

14. tuxedo park
    11:25 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

I have a really hard time believing a talent like Mudiay would go to a glorified junior college like SMU. I wonder if there is something to those academic issues with Prime Prep Academy. I mean, Deion Sanders IS considered both a gentleman and a scholar, but there have been some questions about that school.

15. Satisfied Customer
    11:26 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

Maybe add football and basketball schedules with scores on sidebar?

16. DrSayre
    11:26 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

I’m missing Santa Kige

17. Uknation
    11:28 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

Dante Exum?

18. Little Kid
    11:29 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

I want my Santa!

19. bcat
    11:33 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

The new header looks great, but once you scroll down a bit, you’re right back in 1996 KSR. Maybe get rid of the gold borders. What is this, Vanderbilt Sports Radio?

20. Ashley
    11:34 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

Matt,
    The site design is an improvement. Though I’m confused as to why the KSR redesign didn’t use a site theme that included a mobile version built in which would have optimized the site for mobile users automatically. A backend like Thesis on top of WordPress would have taken care of this (including the comment situation that you say you’re still working on.) Seems like site redesign was made harder than it should have been.

21. Everyone
    11:37 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

LINE SPACING!!!

22. NotAFairStatement
    11:37 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

I’m not sure it’s a fair statement to say that SMU hasn’t had a player “worth anything” in the last 30 years. Last season they signed Keith Frazier who was rated by rivals as the #18 overall player and came from a well established high school program in Texas. They also haven’t had the type of coach they have now for the past 30 years you mention. That being said, it’s not a surprise to see the tides turn in their favor with some recruits. Will they consistently beat out UK for recruits? Probably not but you have to recognize that the SMU program is at least going in a better direction.

23. North Pole
    11:38 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

KSR, please bring Santa back!!!

24. $$$
    11:40 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

$MU should be the next team to join the $EC.

25. njCat
    11:41 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

Need to do an awful lot of clicking to see if there is a new post. Am I missing something???

Also.. your two stars (Drew and Tyler) need their own button if you have one Matt.

Love Funkhouser!

26. 4BarCat
    11:42 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

This site redesign is meh.

27. SeoulCat
    11:43 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

Matt, I love the redesign. Good work.

#6, you’re out of your mind. Androids are awful, and this is coming from someone who owns a Galaxy Note II (it was, like my previous two Galaxy phones, free with my contract, otherwise I would be using an iPhone 5 like the rest of the sane world). I’ve had this Note II for two months and it is already acting like Charles Manson has taken possession of it. I took it to the A/S center once, was told that it was fixed, and yet, within three days, it has already started acting up again. Conversely, my MacBook of a year and iPad of three years have never messed up. Not once. Samsung phones are buggier than a Motel 6 bed.

-About Mudiay, let’s try to find the silver lining to this cloud; at least, with the kid going to SMU, we won’t have to hear him start off every single, flippin’ interview with “first off, I’d like to give praise to the lord” with a “God willing” preceding every sentence used in the future tense in describing an activity (basketball) that neither God nor Jesus could give two sh*ts about.

28. David
    11:45 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

Just wondering, where is the Bill Keightly banner? How soon we forget? This man should have a statue in his honor for al he did for this program. Extremely disappointed you chose not to include his photo and name at the top of your home page. Never to be forgotten, huh?

29. Matt Jones
    11:48 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

#25 there is no clicking…just scroll down…same as always. You click if you want posts in those particular categories…but for main site, it is the same

30. Flash in the pan
    11:48 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

#22 SMU is on a temporary mission. Larry Brown soon turns 73. I just don’t see him being at SMU more than another year or 2. Losing Mudiay stinks, but he is probably the last recruit we will lose to Brown/SMU. Besides, sounds like Mudiay is just one of those kids that wants to stay at home. However, the Ulis kid makes me think of Harrow. Probably not a fair comparison since I have only seen a couple highlight videos of him. Here’s hoping Cal can work his magic on Jones.

31. No Soup for You
    11:53 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

Matt, Drew, TT
    Santa needs to be KSR. Make it happen, please!

32. RahRah
    12:01 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

Love the new design and can’t wait for more!
    Looking forward to more Tomlin for sure.

Not concerned about Mudiay. His choice. After the Wiggins fiasco, I decided not to worry about these kids at all till Coach Cal is done and I’m sticking to that. I will say if Larry Brown gets this kid, look for him to be in the mix on some other big name recruits.
    Go Cats!

# 3

36. Beer gut UK fan
    12:13 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

If he picks SMU he picks NIT

37. O T I S
    12:15 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

Great updated site. How does 2-10 and first round NIT loss to Robert Morris look on the iPhone?

38. Ridge Runner
    12:22 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

Absolutely the best UK site out there for sure! Thx Matt, Hubby, & everyone who had a hand in the design. Most of all…thx for maintaining the sites unique style. Ya got it goin’ on KSR!

39. JJ
    12:28 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

Matt: Excellent work with the site redesign. I really like it. I use an iPhone but can be patient until you guys create a fix.

On BB recruiting generally, I think Cal should slim down his physique, wear more casual, sporty outfits the recruits find β€œfresh and clean” and portray / exude more of a street smart / thuggish image like he used to do at UMass & Memphis. He can still rock the professional and great coach who also looks street wise and cool. He needs to try and alter his middle-aged look, persona. The kids liked the hip, tough talking Cal that used to hang with LeBron and others. A return to the image and persona he had early in his career when he had to knock down doors to get recognition will help him avoid a slip in recruiting success that has plagued previous middle-age coaches like Roy Williams, Pitino and others.

40. James B
    12:39 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

Agree with #28

Lets not forget Keightley

Good update overall

41. James B
    12:41 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

Sorry, hit send too soon. One of the things that initially impressed me about KSR was the show of true fandom and foundations in the history of the program that the Keightley Report showed in such a simple, sentimental way. Please don’t lose that reverence for our history

42. ThatsAShame
    12:42 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

The UA event is right next door to where I live. I’m going to have a little chat with EM.

43. Bunzz
    12:44 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

I’m not sure if it is the font, line spacing, or the blue background…but reading this really hurts my eyes.

44. kevin
    12:49 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

Ok, now that you have redesigned the website how about a redesign for the mobile application for Android. I paid for an app that has ads plus the UI isn’t very good. If you are not going to support the app why not make it free and earn your revenue from the ads.

45. Ridge Runner
    12:50 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

Bunzz… Buzzzed until 4am may be a contributing factor.
    πŸ˜‰

46. Mark Perkins
    12:54 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

Please check out the Grantland iphone app. Open the app and read any story. This is how the KSR stories should appear, properly formatted to the iphone screen.

47. Donnie Fox
    12:54 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

Matt,

The new site is great! Thanks for the updates! #BBN!

48. CatFan22
    12:57 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

The font is way too small on the android Galaxy s4 also. Virtually unreadable for your older readers.

49. kymover
    12:58 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

Quit the political ads

50. JJ
    1:03 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

Fashion police, Cal should dress in tight fitting leather … πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

51. slapass
    1:09 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

ahhh I don’t like change!!! Mudiay why go to smu?? How many times will u ever even be on national tv? None.

52. Wild Blue
    1:15 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

Looks like Texas politics may have reared it’s ugly head and swayed Mudiay.

53. Changes are not always good!
    1:26 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

#6, thanks for the suggestion. Now I have one for you. GFU!!!!

54. Eazy E or Eric Wright it's all the same
    1:36 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

Statements such as “the first player (Mudiay) in 30 years worth anything to select SMU” or “SMU is on a temporary mission” are just flat-out ignorant and show how clueless MJ and about 90 percent of BBN is when it comes to college basketball. The other 10% out there, I love you guys. Drew Franklin, that includes you (I know you know your CBB outside of UK and you’re the sole reason I visit site). I just get tired of reading the falsified garbage, and honestly, it’s embarrassing (cause it happens way too often).

I’d take Keith Frazier on my UK team all day long. He’s one of the top shooting guards in the class of 2013 and a consensus top 50 player. Rivals, Scout and ESPN rate him No. 18, 33 and 49 respectively.

I’d take Yanick Moreira on my UK team all day long, the No. 2 rated juco player in the country behind UL’s Chris Jones according to jucorecruiting.com. Any other year he’d be the clear-cut No. 1 juco guy coming out, but Chris Jones could arguably be the best juco player to hit the hardwood over the last decade (as much as it pains me to type). And that’s saying something considering the talent over the last few years to come out of the juco ranks – Marshall Henderson, Pierre Jackson, Carl Hall, Cleanthony Early, Jae Crowder, Ricardo Ratliffe, Tyrus McGee, Will Clyburn, Xavier Munford, Chris Evans, Geron Johnson, Carlos Emory, Dylan Talley, Dwayne Davis, Bernard James, Aziz N’Diaye, Rayshawn Goins and so and so forth. Moreina should be a late 1st to early 2nd rounder in this deep draft class after he logs a full-year on the national scene.

Illinois State transfer Nic Moore was one of the best mid-major point guards in the country throughout the second half of his freshman season and tore up the Valley (playing against the likes of Creighton and Wichita State) during conference and conf tourney play (heartbreaking loss to Creighton in Valley ‘ship in 2011).

Sterling Brown is another wing-type player similar to Frazier, who was ranked No. 138 in Rivals’ Top 150. Villanova transfer F/C Markus Kennedy was rated 4-stars by ESPN with a grade of 92 and is going to be a stud now that he’s lost all that weight (see UNC freshman Kennedy Meeks for a player comparison).

When you add those guys in with the likes of K-State transfer wing Nick Russell, Texas transfer forward Shawn Williams and guards Ryan Manuel and Jalen Jones – who started all 32 games last year and logged 30+ mins per game for SMU – then you have a team that will contend with the likes of Louisville, Memphis and UConn in the American (watch out for my man James Dickey and his Cougs too now that L.J. Rose is eligible and joining Chicken, House and Thomas). Mark my words – SMU will be a tournament team.

SMU is transitioning into a basketball school as Kentucky is doing in football. Nothing is temporary about it. Get to know the name Tim Jankovich, who comes from the Bill Self coaching tree and is currently coach-in-waiting. He’s been instrumental in the recent recruiting efforts and brought along Moore with him from Illinois State, a program he led to four 20+ win seasons in five years. LB has put them back on the map from a notoriety standpoint, but Jankovich has been doing most of the grunt work behind the scenes with their recent recruiting surge. Whoever compared Mudiay going to SMU to McCallum going to Detroit is off their rocker. Detroit playing in the Horizon against the likes of Valpo, Green Bay and Wright State is not even comparable to SMU’s schedule. Mudiay will be playing against great competition and learning from two great teachers in LB and Coach Janko, and there’s no doubt in my mind he’ll still be a lottery pick.

55. Bobbum man
    2:12 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

54- troll

56. Michael F. Jox
    2:14 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

Hey, Eazy, good job, bro. I’m surprised that hasn’t been removed, though.

57. Matt
    3:40 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

If he wants a team that is going to go to back to back NIT’s then UK is the right choice!

58. Louisville1Cal4
    5:07 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

@57 Lmfao people with your level of ignorance shouldn’t be allowed to breed. Cats hang banner #9 this season, no if’s, and’s, or but’s about it.

59. SMU?
    6:29 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

SMU has a basketball program? Southern Michigan, South Missouri, Southern Montana, South Maine. Someone help me out here?

60. Kyfaninfla
    7:16 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

Loved the old, love the new, write in on a napkin for all I care! You are my life-line in Florida!! Thanks for all you to bring UK to me 1000 miles away!! I love KSR!!!

61. Dylan Kollege Kinney
    7:57 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

Id bang all three of da blondes at da same time.

62. UKtrueBLUE
    9:41 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

I would so marry all 4 of these women at the same time!!

63. As if
    12:50 am August 25, 2013 Permalink

4,1,2,3

64. anybody notice
    6:42 am August 25, 2013 Permalink

How in the world is the tall girl on the left looking at two cameras at the same time?