UK Fans of the Day Want KSR Live

64290_10200631479368319_1492529050_n

Occasionally we get assignments for LIVE shows that are somewhat different than what we are used to. Tomorrow is one of those days as KSR RADIO will broadcast LIVE from close to UL’s campus, next to the UL Hospital. We will be at SUBWAY on 412 S. Hancock Street in Louisville, doing the show and watching out for the Cards. If you are in the area, come say hey and listen to the show. We may even be giving some stuff away for the folks in attendance.

See you then…until tomorrow, here was my KSR Minute last night on WKYT on the topic of whether Tubby should have his jersey retired in Rupp Arena

Article written by Matt Jones

32 Comments for UK Fans of the Day Want KSR Live

1. PaducahUK Fan
    6:25 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

Rupp won with HIS own recruits.
    Hall won with HIS own recruits.
    Pitino won with HIS own recruits.
    Coach Cal won with HIS own recruits.

Tubby won with Pitino’w recruits. Tubby took us back to a second rate basketball College. Tubby’s basketball style was/is boring. Tubby may have won 20 games a year, but I could have probably done the same at UK. He does not belong up he needs to be where he is, in Texas.

2. Rei
    6:26 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

I’m not a Tubby fan either but I think he belongs there much more than Rick does. At least Tubby is a classy guy.

3. SupCats
    6:29 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

2,5,1,4,3

4. blitzedanddazed
    6:30 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

T. Smith will eventually have a jersey retired at Rupp, but hopefully not before he retires from coaching.
    I hate seeing the disgraced name of Rick Pitino hanging in Rupp. Let Tubby finish his career with the class
    and character he has demonstrated up to this point and then give him the honors he deserves.

5. scot
    6:44 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

no way. the day tubby left uk was the happiest day in my uk life. let minnesota retire his jersey lol

6. Instagram
    6:46 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

Can’t tell who’s hot & who’s not, which is why girls love using filters!

7. Tubby who
    6:48 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

#5 I second that!

8. lil c
    6:52 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

Would somebody please explain to me WHY, or HOW is it that Rick Pitinos name is STILL hanging from the rafters of Rupp!!?? Blows my mind that it’s still there!!!!

9. Dee W.
    6:58 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

Tubby Smith record at Kentucky

1997 – 1998 – 35-4 overall, 14-2 SEC, SEC regular season champions, SEC tournament Champions, NCAA Champions, SEC Coach of the Year

1998 – 1999 – 28-9 overall, 11-5 SEC, SEC tournament Champions, NCAA Elite 8

1999 – 2000 – 23-10 overall, 12-4 SEC, SEC regular season Champions (tied), NCAA Round of 32

2000 – 2001 – 24-10 overall, 12-4 SEC, SEC regular season Champions (tied), SEC tournament Champions, NCAA Sweet 16

2001 – 2002 – 22-10 overall, 10-6 SEC, NCAA Sweet 16

2002 – 2003 – 32-4 overall, 16-0 SEC, SEC regular season Champions, SEC tournament Champions, Granted #1 seed NCAA tournament, NCAA Elite Eight, SEC Coach of the Year, Naismith National Coach of the Year, Henry Iba Award for best national coach of the year, AP National Coach of the Year, first team since 1952 to go undefeated through SEC conference play through both the regular season and tournament (and first and only to do so with 16 regular season games), new record set for highest attendance at a game at Rupp Arena during this season, largest margin of victory (62 points) over an opponent in a game since 1952, first college coach since 1975 to sweep all NCAA recognized national coach of the year honors in the same season

2003 – 2004 – 27-5 overall, 13-3 SEC, SEC Tournament Champions, Granted #1 overall seed NCAA tournament, NCAA round of 32

2004 – 2005 – 28-6 overall, 14-2 SEC, #1 recruiting class, SEC regular season Champions, SEC tournament runner-up, NCAA Elite Eight, SEC Coach of the Year, Jim Phelan National Coach of the Year, AP National Coach of the Year

2005 – 2006 – 22-13 overall, 9-7 SEC, NCAA round of 32

2006 – 2007 – 22-12 overall, 9-7 SEC, NCAA round of 32

3rd longest serving Head Coach at UK (10 years – a decade)
    12 total years coaching at UK
    Great ambassador for the program
    Charitable work which continues to have a strong positive impact to this day
    Tayshaun Prince was recently on KSTV and talks a lot about the influence Coach Smith had on him as a player and a person starting at about 5:04 in the video below: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J4wCBP4Vfc&list=UUSXKOGW6LvqCtvAKCOWJO0g#at=322

He is more than worthy to have a banner honoring him in Rupp for all of his contributions, his longevity, and his strong record. If Tubby Smith isn’t worthy of a banner being hung in his honor with that kind of a history with the program, then no one is. Period.

10. vudu
    7:16 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

Matt. Gotta give credit,son. You must packing gigantic testicles to do what you are doing tomorrow

11. Duh!!!
    7:33 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

Duh!!! Big news! Surprise, surprise! Matt wanting the Tub in the rafters at Rupp. Of course he does.It would soil Rupp, if and when it happens. The ambulance chaser was the biggest Tub Apologist of all in the day,..he, Dicky V., Mark Story, and the rest of the Herald Leader sports morons. Did Matt call the rest of us racists because we pleaded for him to be gone? I don’t remember. I do remember Dickey V, Story, and some of the others did. If it was up to Matt, we would still be stuck with the Tub and Saul (as his assistant) making dumb moves and bringing in D quality players,..and our losing streaks to the Vols, Vandy, and Florida would probably be up to 15 or so by now. Course Matt was very anti-Cal before we hired him,..said some embarrassing things that I’m sure now he regrets. Matt is good for that kind of thing,..sticking his foot in his mouth. Now he’s got egg on his face again. Tenn-Loss and Saul have no business being in the rafters!!!!!! It would put a curse on Cal and the Cats for all time. Drew Franklin for President!!!!

12. Scott
    7:34 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

Matt subway is in downtown Louisville by university hospital. You are not on campus my man. You are safe

13. CaliUKfan
    7:39 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

I agree with you Matt that he should be in the rafters. Who cares that he won with Pitino’s recruits? We weren’t the favorite in 1998 and had less talent than Arizona (returned it entire starting 5), UNC, Duke, and Kansas at least. He coached that team to a title and for that alone should be in the rafters. He also had numerous great seasons at the helm.

Did he make mistakes? Absolutely! But life happens for a reason and we’re in a great place now with Cal at the helm. We were spoiled with damn near 3 straight titles and overlook the great and very good he did as a coach, and rather focus solely on the negatives.

If you want the 1998 banner to come down fine, and by extension don’t put him in. If the banner stays, then Tubby must join his and our team in the rafters and its really that simple.

14. Chicago
    7:52 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

Far right ftw

15. alacatfam
    7:55 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

Calicatfan breaks it down correctly. It IS that simple.

16. Saul
    8:00 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

He’s my daddy and I’m his little boy,..but I have to admit Tub has no business getting a banner. He gave me a lot of playing time minutes no doubt over my four years,..at one time the most minutes ever for a Kentucky player. But here’s my problem with Dad. He should have started me over Wayne Turner!!!! For that reason alone I can’t go with Daddy getting a banner. Now me,..yes! I should be in the rafters. But not Daddy. Please and thank you.

17. PhilUK18
    8:20 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

From left to right:

Yes, yes, yes, yes, HELL YES.

Looking good, ladies. Forget California girls, I wish they all could be Kentucky girls.

18. Saul
    8:21 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

P.S. I have you know I totalled 3106 minutes of PT in 143 games in my Wildcat career,..for an average of 21.7 minutes per game over my four years. Daddy should have started me over Wayne,..but other than that I suppose he took care of me. And I do appreciate that. Maybe he deserves the Cat HOF,..but not the rafters. Jmo.

19. Jake from State Farm
    8:29 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

Matt Jones has a huge head.

20. the dykster
    9:03 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

yes, yes ,yes, maybe, probably, yes

21. Darth
    9:55 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

Matt, you should have brought out the “great, good, drunk” statement.

22. UKBlue1!
    10:14 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

No Tubby jersey should not be hanging in the rafters. He won with the players Pitino left behind. Other than his first year, he never made a NCAA tourney final four again. Tony Delk should be the next person to have his Jersey hanging in the rafters. IT is way overdue.

23. Dee W.
    11:20 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

#22: “No Tubby jersey should not be hanging in the rafters.”

Completely agree – the sooner it gets up there, the better.

24. Some Really Bad Eggs
    11:48 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

Those of you who keep making the claim “Tubby won with Pitino’s recruits” should go back to the Louisville fan site because you’re obviously UofL Trolls.

Anyone who watched the 1998 NCAA tournament will tell you that Tubby coached UK to the title that year, and I bet if you ask any player who was a part of that team they’d tell you he deserves to be up there too.

I’m sick of this Tubby hate, no he didn’t make the final four after the 98 season, yes the program was a bit down when he left, but he also had some of the most exciting teams I’ve seen at UK, was a quality guy for the program, and is the only non-current UK coach to win a championship that’s not in the rafters. Don’t forget Tubby may have won with Pitino’s players…but in doing so succeeded where Rick failed only a year before…

25. Bunny
    12:42 am August 22, 2013 Permalink

Tubby’s a class act but didn’t earn having his jersey retired…

26. Say it again!
    1:30 am August 22, 2013 Permalink

#24 says >>> “he also had some of the most exciting teams I’ve seen at UK”

I don’t think I heard that right. Could you say it again??? Tubbyball,..exciting? That’s an oxymoron. Is that you, Donna???

27. Cliff Hawkins
    2:24 am August 22, 2013 Permalink

Truth be known,…I never really had asthma. The Tub just used that as an excuse to play Saul instead of me. But that is a secret. Shhhhh !!! Please don’t tell anyone. Thanks. I’m just glad Tubby found Randolph Morris’ papers on his desk just in time for him to qualify. It was a lucky thing. The Tub was the best thing that ever happened to Kentucky basketball. I sure wish we still had him instead of Coach Cal.

28. CATS BY 90!
    8:27 am August 22, 2013 Permalink

DAAAAAANNNNNGGGGGG! Look at the shawty on the far left and the far right! I bet they put out

29. jbcruse
    8:52 am August 22, 2013 Permalink

Total BS… Too short of memories for too many…Old Ten-Loss should NEVER be recognized with a jersey in Rupp.

30. bluecreeker
    10:51 am August 22, 2013 Permalink

It’s pretty simple.

Did Tubby leave UK in a better condition than he when he got there?

The answer is…..”Perry Stevenson”

Being a good guy should be a prerequisite for getting the job, not a prerequisite for having your jersey retired.

Tubby said some pretty crappy things about UK. He is a hack, nothing more than mediocre.

31. jhnny
    11:10 am August 22, 2013 Permalink

#8 your either too young to remember or have selectively forgotten what Rick Pitino did for the UK program. His jersey belongs there as much as anyone, other than Rupp.

Tubby deserves to have his jersey retired. Cry me a river about the players being recruited by Pitino. He should be given credit for that, as it isn’t easy to come into a situation like that and coach successfully. Besides, what he did after that championship was very solid. He was an overtime loss in the Elite Eight away from probably his second championship too.

In the end, if you win a championship, you belong in the rafters.

32. _Blackhawk_
    12:36 pm August 22, 2013 Permalink

#30 if Joe B. Hall can go 13-13, 18-13 with Kenny Walker and leave us with Rob Lock, then Tubby can be in the rafters too. Tubby has more wins than Hall and a title too. Sure only one FF but his winning percentage is higher than Joe B’s. Some of you young-ins don’t remember that there was a time that Joe B was treated by many fans as you are Tubby. Reality is he did coach us to a title…who cares who got the players here. He coached them. Tubby should be up in the rafters. Unless you pull an Eddie Sutton, if you win a title you deserve to be up there. Tubby had a couple of bad breaks that prevented at least 2 other teams from moving past their E8 appearance. I don’t often agree with Jones but on this one I most certainly do.