UK Fans of the Day Want Five Quick Thoughts

A lot has happened in the past week and a few thoughts have been swirling about in my mind. That is always dangerous, but nevertheless here are five (with some good stuff in between):

1. Mark Stoops Really Impresses Me

We are still really early in on the Mark Stoops era and at this point, I have yet to even meet the new coach. However, I am very impressed with how he has handled things in the early going. Most importantly, I love the chutzpah I am seeing from he and his staff as they go about making recruiting waves in their first class for the Big Blue. Over the past week, Stoops and his staff have gone to visit the top five in-state recruits, including three that have already committed to Notre Dame, USC and Vanderbilt. And in so doing, they have sent a message that they intend to compete with the big boys in what has traditionally been the biggest hindrance to UK football success, recruiting. The state of Kentucky does not have enough talent to stock a SEC roster, but at the top, the best players in the state can compete with anyone in America. Stoops is making it clear that he will go full bore after those guys, including at schools like Trinity, where Kentucky has had very little success in the past. These efforts may not pay off (especially with the Trinity kids) in THIS class. But they represent a huge step forward for the future and a sign that Stoops is not going to let the past dictate how he builds for the future.

Gonzaga player happy about a basket:

2. Nerlens Noel is Better Than You Think

When Brandon Knight was at Kentucky, he fought through at least three months of fan criticism that essentially amounted to one complaint, “he is not John Wall.” Unfortunately, that made fans realize late that Brandon Knight, even if he was not John Wall, was a special player in and of himself. And in March, that special player hit his highest level with two game winners (against Princeton and Ohio State) for the ages. The same thing is occurring a bit with Nerlens Noel this season. Nerlens is following a player in Anthony Davis who had one of the best college basketball seasons of all time. His impact on the game was tremendous and has led even the great Oscar Combs to suggest he is the best to ever play at this school. But what about Nerlens? He is playing pretty spectacular in his own right. Kyle Tucker and his hair made a good comparison this week that statistically, he stacks up pretty well with Anthony Davis through 9 games:

Anthony Davis 11.6 ppg, 9.1 rpg, 4.3 bpg, 1.6 spg, 1.1 apg.

Nerlens Noel 11.1 ppg, 9.9 rpg, 3.6 bpg, 2.7 spg, 2.2 apg

This is not to say that Noel is equal to Davis…almost no one could be. And yes, Davis had the benefit of other scorers and rebounders to take away some of his stat-stuffing opportunities. But what Noel is doing is impressive. He is averaging nearly a double double and amazingly, is top 3 in the SEC in steals as a 7 footer. I think Noel has done quite well, maybe even slightly better than I expected, and in my view, he will only get better.

Great combo of A UK fan and Conway Twitty song:

3. Commonwealth Stadium Improvement Issue Coming

I will have a longer, more detailed post with a lot of details for those interested tomorrow. But for now, a surface level look at this is plenty. Over the next two weeks, the University of Kentucky will finalize and likely present, its plan for attempting to get bonding authority for major stadium renovations at Commonwealth. They will then take this plan to the Kentucky State Legislature in January, for what will be the most important vote for UK football success over the next decade. How this proposal is crafted and how the vote turns out are crucial and will be THE most important story over the next two months. I think it is fair to say that major Commonwealth and UK football renovations are as close now as they have ever been. But the work of Mitch Barnhart, Eli Capiluoto and the Kentucky Legislature is about to become critical. UK fans making their voices heard, especially on the legislative end, could be THE key in making UK football competitive in the SEC.

Great gif of UT fans learning about Butch Jones

4. Demarcus Cousins Difficulties

By now you have probably heard that Demarcus Cousins was suspended for a game after hitting OJ Mayo below the belt a couple of nights ago in Sacramento. Anyone that has read KSR for a long time knows that we love Demarcus and are not close to unbiased about him. I am not going to criticize him for this or that incident, as others do that enough for everyone. All I am going to say is that watching Demarcus over the last couple of months makes me sad. He seems to me to be genuinely unhappy and unable to create joy out of something at which he is so good and that he once loved. During his time at Kentucky, I found Demarcus to be amongst the most likable players to every come to Lexington and I have watched Demarcus perform countless thoughtful and considerate acts way beyond his age. My only hope is that Demarcus finds that joy that he carried so often while at UK and uses it as a positive force on his life now. He is a great person and a friend of KSR and me, and I hope that he can get back to the excitement level he had while a Cat.

Phoenix Suns’ Rex with a Louisville barrister:

5. The Dorm Video leaves me with mixed emotions

The video above has made its way around the country, being linked on everything from Kentucky news sites to the Drudge Report. Everyone has their opinion about the legalities of the situation and (for once) I am going to stay away from that part of it. Today, UK let the officer in question go as part of the investigation and that did make me feel a bit sorry for him. While I think the video clearly shows that the officer made poor decisions, it also shows a student acting like complete jerk and clearly instigating the situation. I dont know enough about the events or protocol to really judge beyond that, but I do feel sorry two weeks before Christmas to see the guy (who a number of people have written me and said is a tremendous person) lose his job over an incident that could have been avoided.

More as the day progresses. The iTunes podcast feed is not working right now for the KSR SHOW. But you can GET THE PODCAST on HTTP://TALKRADIO1080.COM. As soon as it is fixed, we will let you know, but until then, get your KSR goodness there….

Article written by Matt Jones

90 Comments for UK Fans of the Day Want Five Quick Thoughts

1. Thoughtful Fan
    8:11 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

As great as Stoops has started out, I still wonder if we won’t one day be sorry we passed on Kingsbury… http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8741465/kliff-kingsbury-hired-texas-tech-red-raiders-coach

2. SeoulCat
    8:13 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

“From him and his staff,” Matt. “He and his staff” works as a subject, but in the sentence above, you are referring to Stoops and his staff as objects. You would never say, in talkin about Stoops in the singular, “I like what I am seeing from he.” The same rule applies here.

3. Ed has Tickets
    8:14 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

That UT gif is gold.

4. Kevin
    8:16 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

What a complete ass. The kid.

5. LHW
    8:16 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

The UT/Animal House take off is classic!!!!

6. Dr. Phil
    8:19 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

That student is a jerk, but the guy has no business being a cop the way he handled that situation. What was it “a college student under the suspicion of pouring a beer out?”

7. bmt22033
    8:22 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

The parents of the moron in the dorm room video must be so incredibly proud.

8. Dusty
    8:23 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

If I were the cop that lost my job because of this little jerk he’d be carrying a butt kicking. Kids a prick and needs to be kicked out of school, very classy

9. Ken
    8:27 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

I have a dance for Drew Franklin. I think he might like it.

10. LTHW
    8:28 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

The officer should recieve a comendation for restraint. The sad part of this is the student thinks it is cool to speak to and degrade another human being in this manner. The sadder part is that the student thinks it is cool to post the video.
    My hope is the kid matures but my guess is that he is a spoiled rotten brat. Would never hire him.

11. BGcat
    8:32 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

AD looking down that shirt?

12. 44 Stitches
    8:37 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Glad to hear the campus police officer lost his job. Who cares if he is a good guy or has a family to support. He should of thought of that before he made physical contact with the student. The kid did act like a complete doucher but putting up with smart ass kids comes with the line of work Officer Thompson was in.

13. Upset
    8:40 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

I wish that this kid not only get’s kicked out of school, but actually needs his ass beat. He is a pompous ass who thinks he knows everything. I feel bad for the campus officers, because they were pushed until they couldn’t take it anymore. Eventually, this little pr*ck will get what’s coming to him.

14. Delonte West's Chin Herpes
    8:40 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Can we get a post with the UK Bikini Women again……..WOW!

15. mudcreekmark
    8:41 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Demarcus Cousins was one of my favorite players of all time. His personality was so big and he was such a big goof ball.His “call me” aimed at the fans at Mississippi State was priceless.It just seemed like he was having a ball while he was at UK. I even think he was the one that started the trend with the big black rim glasses that a bunch of NBA players wear now. I think for the first time in his life he had a male role model(Coach Cal) that could actually reel in some of these childish tendencies we’re seeing now. I don’t know if he was afraid of what Cal could do to him(Bench him and hurt his chances of playing in NBA) or if he respected Cal enough to stay in line and behave for him.Whatever it was, it was real. The kid was just a joy to watch while he was at UK and I will always be a fan and a believer in him because we all got a good look at what this big goofy kid is all about. He is not what they are trying to make him out to be, he has alot of good inside that big ole body of his.

16. **** DA POLICE
    8:43 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

AAAAAAAAAAA HA HA HA. THAT FAT*** WAS PWND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOD WILL VINDICATE!

17. Funky Monkey
    8:44 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Now that the cop is just a regular citizen,.. he should go beat that kid’s ass, I’d help the ex-cop do it.

18. Delonte West's Chin Herpes
    8:51 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

The cop should have tazed that punk kid for the hell of it. Kidding. But what am I not seeing? Why did that cop get fired?

19. Booyakasha!
    8:57 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

That little prick needs his ass kicked. He’s from Connecticut and should get is degree from UConn. He’s an embarrassment to UK.

20. College graduate
    9:02 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Ok so if I was the cop I would have tazed the kid. Listen, like everyone else i drank myself stupid on several occasions in college and had multiple run ins with police in the process. Yes I knew my rights and could have easily manipulated situations to my advantage, but I also know how to show respect. I can seriously say that every officer I dealt with treated me with more respect than I did them and always let me go with warnings even when I deserved more. I kind of hope this punk gets involved in a semi-violent crime (im not a total a-hole) and needs an officers help, but instead that officer will avoid violating the jerks rights and just watches. I know this wont happen cause most cops are decent people just earning a paycheck like he rest us.

21. JW
    9:05 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

The Campus Cop should have arrested the little mouthy punk for Disorderly Conduct. I’m sure that there were numerous persons down the dorm hall that were alarmed to his yelling and liberal use of profanities, then seized the camera for evidence. So what if the Officer belly-bumped him. The punk deserved much more. As for the Chief terminating his employment, that is so weak. I bet the Chief took a little heat and was embarrassed. Well, stand up for your men. As for the little jerk, what must administration be thinking about him? Surely he is not the model UK student. It doesn’t reflect in his demeanor, nor his actions. Ship him back up north. Do what’s right UK, restore the Officer to his job.

22. someone
    9:09 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

The cop should’ve tazed the kid? What is wrong with you people? The cop is a cop, and is performing a SERVICE to the people. People, including assholes, drunks, and drug addicts have rights. There is no law against being a dick, and if you are in a position of power you should never abuse that power. Clearly if the officer was fired it is because he did something that he is not permitted to do. My guess? The kid knew these cops were ignoring the policies in place and the safeguards to ensure that they don’t overstep their bounds and did everything he could to instigate the situation. Fine by me. Police do the same thing all the time. I see it everyday.

23. hersheyisabear
    9:12 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Are we really that naive anymore? The kid had alcohol and poured it out the window. He was clearly buzzed when confronted. Just got lucky. Such a shame.

24. James O'keefe
    9:17 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

That was me setting up the “Abusive Cops” for Sean Hannity’s Anti-Government segment.

25. LGW
    9:18 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

I’m glad the kid got the cop fired. The power go’s to the head of too many cops and they get over inflated ego’s. I bet that cop wish’s he could take back telling the kid to put the video on youtube.

26. Bledsoe's Biceps
    9:25 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

a) Really hope Boogie finds a way to relax and enjoy the opportunity he has. The guy is already one of the best bigs in the NBA and could be a perennial All Star, if he can keep his cool. One of my all time favorite UK players.
    b) Hate to hear the cop lost his job. Unfortunately he let that punk ass kid get to him and he crossed the line, but getting fired is overkill. I really hope Karma exists and the little d-bag student gets what he deserves someday.

27. Kid from the dorm
    9:38 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

I should be dragged out in the street and flogged. I am a complete waste of life and need a good ass kicking to prove it.

28. Rick
    9:45 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

#23 – apparently we are. Common sense, decency, and respect are thrown out the window by these idiots who simply parrot BILL OF RIGHTS, CONSTITUTION, BLAH BLAH BLAH in the KSR comments section. Whatever happened to basic human decency? To hell with citing the Bill of Rights as the basis for acting like a dick and screwing over your fellow man.

And, according to all of these asshats who support this waste of sperm, what about taking some f*cking responsibility and owning up to your actions, which this sh*t for brains in the video clearly doesn’t understand.

29. glenn tyler
    9:49 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

I am sorry to think this individual is a representative of the University. I only hope the University does what is necessary and remove his ars from campus.

30. Mjk002
    9:51 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

The cop was justified. The kid seemed threatening to the point that not checking out the room would have been negligent. The kid should have went to the police station in handcuffs. I was arrested for less in college. If the cop lost his job, I would not feel sorry for him because he will be getting back pay when he sues.

31. LuvDaCats
    9:54 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

UT clip epic! Dorm Kid………..epic fail

32. Tom
    9:58 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Anyone who supports this kid, regardless of whether or not the cop broke his 4th amendment rights by opening a f*cking REFRIGERATOR is why this state is such a sh*thole and in such a steaming mess in terms of state and federal representation. The kid’s behavior is sub-human and regardless of what the Bill of Rights says, if you think that THIS is what our founding fathers intended for it to protect, then you need to pull your head out of your ass.

33. Nashville Cag
    9:58 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

The kid needs to be kicked out. He would fit in better at Louisville anyway. What the dumbass doesn’t realize is that the video he posted online will bite his ass when any potential employer sees how he spent his college years. Would you hire this kid 3-4 years down the road?

34. Kid in the dorm's cool backwards hat
    9:59 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Amen, Rick

35. hmmm
    10:03 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

If you think the cop was justified to make contact then you’re just dumb, or don’t know the laws. Just because someone is dumb and a smartass doesn’t give a cop justification to search a room without a warrant, or make physical contact with someone. We don’t live in the dark ages anymore. And also, the student didn’t do anything illegal. I’ve had numerous cops disrespect me for no reason, and I didn’t get to go in their house or make physical contact with them. Just saying, cops should have thick skin, because they’re gonna have to deal with assholes like this every day. And for as big of an ass the kid was, he did know his rights, which is more than I can say for 95% of the people that post on here

36. Will
    10:03 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

#32 – George Washington would’ve bit this kid’s d*ck off with his wooden teeth and then shoved it down his throat. Then smacked him with the Constitution.

37. Will
    10:04 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

#35 – The kid didn’t know sh*t. He thought he couldn’t even let them in the room when clearly he had to. He didn’t know the meaning of the word “belligerent.” He got lucky that the cop was dumb too and opened his refrigerator. Simple as that.

38. Dr. P Ness
    10:07 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

like most kids and young adults, dude in the video has no concept of how all of the crap he posts on the internet will affect him once he enters into the “real world.” when you put something on the internet, it never goes away and can always come back to bite you in the ass. regardless of right or wrong, he’s always going to perceived as “that dipsh!t” now.

39. Carl
    10:13 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

That kid in the video is an ass wipe and and embarrassment to the state and the fine University of Kentucky. I can only hope he gets what he deserves.

40. Ryan
    10:14 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

The cop got fired and should be…..he handled the situation poorly and got what he deserved. The Lexington police have been doing this for years and now people have video with them all the time. Learn your lesson police officers and act how you should and you won’t have any problems.

41. hmmm
    10:14 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

37, The kid knew more the cop, which is why he was messing with him. That’s just sad

42. Will
    10:18 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

#41 – He didn’t know sh*t. He got knocked down by a fat middle aged man, then got lucky the cop was wrong. Wonder how he feels knowing he got physically man-handled by a fat guy?

43. Will
    10:18 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Then again, maybe he liked getting man-handled by that fat guy.

44. bort
    10:21 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

It is an outrage that the cop got fired. This punk instigated the whole thing. To suggest that his “rights” were trampled is laughable. BTW, what would the reaction be if the cops had done nothing and this guy hurt himself or someone else by throwing something else out the window? Ah yes, the children of the counter-culture. Their parents spat at cops in the late 60s and 70s, called them pigs, etc. Let’s pray that someone beats this kid’s a$$.

45. kymike
    10:21 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

the kid would not have to worry about being kicked out,I as his parent would drag his ass out of the school.If he didnt do anything wrong there wouldnt be a problem in the first place

46. Jared
    10:24 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

As a cop I would think that he would be used to people acting like that. He needs to be the bigger person in the situation no matter how much of a punk the kid was being and as a public officer he should not let his emotions take over as they did. He should have realized the kid was enticing him to do something wrong. The cop was being disrespected in front of his co workers and I’m sure that was part of what sent him over the edge. It’s a shame he let his emotions get the best of him and thats what got him fired.

47. Jared
    10:27 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

I’m not taking up for or saying the kid was right at all. He was a total jerk and should be punished as well!!

48. RealCatsFan
    10:34 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Makes me wonder if the kid’s daddy is in a position of power somewhere and was able to influence UK on the cop’s firing. That would explain the kid’s prickish behavior.

49. Stig
    10:40 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Somebody name the kid so he can get his kicking

50. Hoptownsbeast
    10:44 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Student was very disrespectful to officer BUT officer still abused his power beyond law. I might also be disrespectful if they come bothering me wanting to go through my ish.

51. Sorry flatfoot
    10:49 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

#42 Are you a cop or just butt hurt? Clearly the cop couldn’t enter the room or he would have kept his job. Do you think that the bill of right should only pertain to when or who you want it too? This is what makes our country the best in the world we have rights that pertain to all people black, yellow, white. Rich, poor, yes and even the stupid which this kid clearly is. The officer could have simply walked away and ended the whole thing. He chose not to, he was just as willing a participant as the kid. Since you are so tough and want to beat this kid up so bad you know where he lives you know what he looks like so go do it yourself instead of talking like a tough guy on a computer. Lol

52. Hoptownsbeast
    10:49 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Kid played headgame with officer and officer lost it. He doesnt need a position of authority. I may just be biased because Police in my city often harrass citizens beyond rights. I’ve been searched during routine traffiic stops on a few occassions because i looked like a hippy, and nothing ever found.

53. RealCatsFan
    10:50 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Some day down the line, this kid is going to cross the line and get busted big time. It’s just a matter of time. Hopefully for his sake he never acts that way in front of a state trooper. I remember as a high school and college kid having some brushes with the law when out with my buddies drinking and having a good time. I probably deserved to get thrown in the clink a few times, but I knew when to keep my mouth shut. A few of my buddies weren’t as smart, and got to spend a night or two in jail.

54. RealCatsFan
    10:52 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

… and that UT GIF is absolutely epic! Someone needs to synch sound to that one!

55. Sorry flatfoot
    10:55 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

#8 That would be real smart. Then he could be unemployed and, in jail. The kid could then sue him and get everything this man ever work for. I’d say this man should just let it go probably wishes now he would have just walked off when the kid refused his entry in the first place. Sometimes you have to think long term!

56. Big Blue Kahuna
    10:58 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Its a sad commentary on our society that a young adult can use the social media to promote disrespect for his university personnel. Although we don’t know what happened before the video started, it is clear that the young adult student showed incredible disrespect to the officers. The officers, in my opinion, showed restraint up until officer Thompson bumped the student and then searched his refrigerater. At that point the officer crossed the line and should have been disciplined. But fired? Are you kidding me? I sure hope the student faces disciplinary action from the university. I am not familiar with the UK student code of conduct, but I would hope it includes something about behavior unbecoming a gentleman. I hope KSR keeps us up to date on what, if anything, happens to this “student”.

57. Ibescootch
    11:06 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

This is really pathetic. If he did it to get respect, he should have done it in a respectful manner. But instead, he was disrespectful, verbally abusive, and a general douchebag. This doesn’t help or support his rights, it hurts them. It’s when laws get abused that they get changed to penalize the abusers. So congratulations idiot, you probably succeeded in giving future campus police officers more use of discretion in arresting/questioning people who are uncooperative.

58. Durrrr
    11:22 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

F the kid.

59. Tim
    11:31 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Kentuckians love their authority figures. Are you a bully with a rear to kiss? Swagger right over to Kentucky. They’ll pucker right up and thank you for the opportunity.

60. 2legit2die
    11:44 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

I hope this kids mother dies of breast cancer.

Seriously. It’s people like this kid why I can’t sleep at night. I wish they would all die then we wouldn’t need police officers to begin with

61. Rae
    11:58 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

60. I hope you are just making a joke in poor taste and aren’t serious. Cancer is never something to joke about, unless you have it. And if you were sick, I doubt you’d be wishing the same illness on someone else.

62. President Eli
    1:07 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

The prick kid was obviously just trying to get the cop fired. I do not think the cops did anything wrong. If that kid was to mouth off to the cops like that in Williamsburg they would have busted his head. I hope he becomes the most hated man on campus. The police had the right to enter the room according to the student housing policy but they were not allowed to search through his stuff. Bottem line is the kid is a prick and should get his tail kicked everyday next semester.

63. Cousins Fake Tooth
    1:15 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

Good for the cop. The kid was being a total asshole and deserved it.

64. Cats
    2:39 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

Obviously the kid acted like an idiot and in no way am I condoning that. However, I have seen UK campus cops abuse their power on countless occasions. What is the reason they came to his dorm in the first place? He was pouring alcohol out of his window? It might be illegal for underage kids to consume alcohol, but the reality is that the majority of college students do so. I have seen campus police walk into houses without warrants and ticket everyone in the house that was underage, simply because there was alcohol in the house., as well as search property with zero probable cause. I rarely drink and my only run I’m with the law happened when I was sitting on a porch at a house on aylesford, a street on campus, without any alcohol within 50 feet of me. The campus police walked in, asked for everyone’s identification, and ticketed everyone I under 21. I talked to a lawyer and he said there was nothing I could do, it was my word against the officers. My point is, there is a reason that college students hate the campus police. They abuse their power and have nothing better to do than punish students for a victimless crime. Occasionaly even when they are innocent. This kid, as well as the officer, were in the wrong, I just wanted to give some background.

65. Absurd!!
    6:59 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

My wife, daughter , and I all graduated from UK and I have a son currently enrolled. At no time was I or a member of my family disrespectful in the manner this student behaved and it is ridiculous that a person loses his job over this. If that were my son, I would apologize to the authorities, remove him from school, drag his sorry ass home and he would get a job doing something. He would not go back to school until he learns to behave as an adult. What a PUNK!!

66. Will
    7:06 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

#51 – I’m not a cop. I’m what’s called a “decent human being.” And I’d love to stomp the kid’s face in, but he’d probably record it, put it up on youtube, then cry to the cops and send me to jail, since he’s such a cunt.

67. James K
    7:31 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

People are missing the point. Being a bad person has more of a lasting impact than any technicality in the rules that may or may not validate a meaningless point. This was a small issue that he turned into a big issue and provoked the officer to the point of anger. I probably would’ve gotten pretty angry, too. I hope this kid musters the courage to be a compassionate person in his lifetime, or he’s going to find himself morally bankrupt at some point.

68. Bledsoe's Biceps
    7:52 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

64) – Well explained. I hope this punk kid has his junk shrivel up and fall off, but your explanation does help explain why some have so much animosity and outright hate toward campus cops. Anyone familiar with any campus, knows they often are over zealous and take great liberties with the rules/law. Let’s hope the university administration realizes the environment this is creating and backs off on the gestapo tactics. Ticket and punish those that are offenders, but not someone that just happens to be in the vicinity. And your lawyer was taking an easy out. Your word is just as good as a campus cop, but the courts will show favoritism to an officer. But that does not negate the fact it is up to them to present proof you are guilty. You do not have to prove you are innocent.

69. Rick Roy
    8:46 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

THE COP WORKS FOR A UNIVERSITY POLICE DEPT. If he cant take putting up with immature kids then he is in the wrong line of duty. You are a moron if you are sticking up for the cop. He abused his power, which some cops do alot. If you abuse your power in any field of work, you get repremanded for it. The sad thing is, he probably would have lied about it and got away with it if the kid wasnt filming. The kid acting as a punk has nothing to do with anything. That is not breaking the law. That is the truth!

70. Freedom
    9:05 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

69-
    Could not agree with you more sir! You are absolutely correct! What that cop did was abuse his power, he went against his training. If anyone of us does that and its broadcasted (which was brilliant on the kids part) we would lose our jobs in a second. Cops are human beings like everyone. They make mistakes, but they should pay the price. It a topic that needs to be out in the open. We as American citizens are losing our rights more and more each year! With the patriot act from the Bush administration to Obama renewing it in his terms after he said he wouldn’t. What this kid did was remind us all that yes, we still have the power to use our constitutional rights that our founding fathers set up to protect us. Police officers used to be there in case they were needed in an emergency. To me, today they are out looking for trouble a lot of the times. Some of the things people go to jail for are just ridiculous! Our tax paying dollars are spent to house these people that receive no rehabilitation to get back into society after their sentencing. Obligating them to return to the streets and have no choice sometimes, but to commit crimes to survive.

71. MattD
    9:08 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

http://www.campusreform.org/blog/?ID=4540 The police officer violated the school’s policy which clearly state that an officer can not search a room without consent or a search warrant. The officer not only violated THAT MOST PRECIOUS OF RIGHTS, but also attempted to coerce consent by stating, let me in or I can have you expelled. We have no idea if the kid was innocent or guilty, but that does not justify the behavior. Our basic rights are there for a reason, to prevent government intrusion in to our lives. This officer worked at a University, and if he can not deal with the smart mouth of a punk kid, clearly he was in the wrong position. It is his professional duty to uphold the law, and to tell a kid, “there is no fourth amendment here,” smacks of ignorance and goes to show you that when little people get a little power, they abuse it. So, in this case, yeah F*&# the Cops. Check yourselves.

72. 3 fan
    9:10 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

You telling me no one knows this kids name?

73. MattD
    9:10 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

Also, Tom is stupid! Educate yourself. Thanks.

74. @LexLMT
    9:27 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

Why has the video been taken down?

75. PhotoKat
    9:33 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

A. The cop had a job to do.
    B. He did not follow procedure, and consequently broke the law.
    C. He should lose his job just like anyone else who fails to do their job correctly.
    D. Most are assuming the kid is guilty. He may be 100% innocent and felt as if he were being harassed. I was once mistakenly given a warning from a campus police officer(in Louisville) who couldn’t fathom that two people in a large parking lot could own identical cars(he didn’t bother to get a plate number) FYI- I knew the other guy that was actually speeding.
    E. Kid is a D;”k and will undoubtedly “get his” at some point.

76. Matt
    9:38 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

I think it was WLEX that reported the officer could in fact enter the room (if it was not a dorm room they would need a warrant to come in), but they were not able to physically search anything (fridge, drawers, closets, etc.). The officer made the mistake of opening the fridge and looking through personal items. They have the right to look around at things lying in the open. anything more than that required a warrant. The kid was an absolute d-bag, but he obviously got under the skin of the officer and the officer made a poor decision. Sucks it happened, but it is what it is now.

I remember being in college and there being room “checks”. As long as your stuff was shut, whether they had suspicion or not, they could not open anything. however, if you left the fridge open and saw alcohol or something, then it was fair game.

77. JS
    9:56 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

I have no problem the kid being punished; but, officers of the law should be held accountable more so when they themselves break the law. Does anybody know why the fourth amendment was put in the first place? It goes all the way back to the revolutionary war!!!! By the way, in my opinion,the officer should have gotten suspended,not fired.

78. UK Ron
    10:38 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

Still hope his buds open several cans of Whoop Ass on the punk!

79. Tom
    10:58 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

#73 – MattD, I said to pull your head out of your ass, not insert it further in. If you seriously think that this kid’s behavior is why our founding fathers wrote the Bill of Rights, then god help you. If being disgusted by this kid’s reprehensible actions makes me an uneducated idiot, then so be it, I’ll proudly call myself an idiot.

Better than that a vile piece of sh*t that supports him.

80. Tom
    10:59 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

^I mean, “Better that than a vile piece of sh*t that supports him.” Guess I am an idiot afterall. Oh, well, not gonna lose any sleep over that.

81. bort
    11:01 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

the HL is reporting that the cop was fired for shoving the kid, not for entering and searching the room.

82. bort
    11:02 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

keep in mind, the HL isn’t known for its hard hitting reporting anymore or anything. just saying…..

83. kid in the video
    11:05 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

My name is Graham Paul Gaddis and my phone number is 203-448-0922. Please publish my name everywhere. It needs to always be associated with this video, so people can see how witty and awesome I am.

84. Ben
    11:35 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

The Officer in this video has a family to support and bills to pay. It’s very sad that UK’s chief did not support him. The officer made a mistake but firing him was the easy way out for a cowardly Chief who did not want the medias attention. This little jerk will have a hard time finding a job anywhere in this community. Good luck young man, and I hope your proud this Officer has lost his means of supporting his family at Christmas. KSR please stick to sports in the future. I do not visit your site for politics and attacks on our public servants. God bless this Officer and his family.

85. martinbluther
    11:45 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

The police in any situation should always be the adult in the room. My family are LE, and I adore the LE that act the way they should. But when they cross that line, they have to pay. Because that line is all there is. That line truly is the line between bully and hero.

86. Reality
    11:49 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

It’s sad when people talk about how they’ve been treated worse by cops.

Then suggest this kid got it easy, or this kid deserved something.

Police are trained to be the cool head in a situation. To lose your cool because an 18 year old kid gets under your skin is beyond helpless.

Any family this man has to support will benefit from him losing his job here. This could be the wake up call this man needs to learn he was in the wrong line of work or that he forgot his training (or was trained by Jim Bob).

87. martinbluther
    11:51 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

And officers have the right to enter the room, not to search and not to put hands on someone just because they feel angry. Again, that is the line between police officers and criminals. You don’t like it? Fine, move somewhere that doesn’t have that line, like many countries in South America, or North Korea. It’s total BS that people in the US defend police no matter what just like they defend criminals no matter what, but this is ridiculous. What, should American citizens, who would defend the 2nd Amendment because “we have a right to overturn the government by force,” allow violations of the Fourth Amendment by rote just because a person wears a uniform? Many of my relatives in LE would say hell no.

88. Chip
    11:54 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

Good lord people the kid didn’t beat like Rodney king. Stop a
    Talking about how violated he was. Look at his Facebook page,if it doesn’t make you want to punch him then you are a Louisville fan.

89. John
    1:32 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

I’m glad you felt a BIT sorry for the Officer Matt. It’s very clear where you stand with LE. You should feel responsible for contributing to this kids poor behavior. I will not be following KSR in the future and hope another site is established that deals with KY sports and not you political views on Police.

90. PW
    1:58 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

If you’re willing to forfeit this kid’s rights just because he’s a jerk then you don’t understand why we have a constitution in the first place. The 4th amendment applies just as much to idiots as it does to all the rest of us judging this student’s behavior.

We’re too willing to give up our rights based on situations. Don’t let fear or idiocy or anything else persuade you to give up your constitutional rights!