UK Fans of the Day Want Evening Notes

BOrdNPHCMAIB-Rm.jpg-large

It was an exciting day around KSR-land, as we interviewed the Louisville mayor (it was fun), had long meetings with lawyers (less fun, but necessary) and found out that we are headed to the US Open for Tennis Channel (awesome). The latter will take Drew and I away for 2 weeks beginning Sunday, but we won’t miss a beat around here as we will be doing the KSR Radio Show, Western Kentucky-UK pre and post game and the site from New York City. It just means more time with Slash/Slash and a chance to spend 12 days around the City that Never Sleeps. It should be fun. With that, a couple of notes:

UK basketball players should arrive on campus on Sunday as we get ready for the return of the Revenge Tour to a campus near you. James Young has already said he is coming and Oscar Combs says the Twins are coming, so that means we should all rest safe and sound. John Calipari will be able to begin workouts with the team on August 28th (the day classes begin and my birthday…no connection there that I know of) and then we will get the first notion of just how good this group will be. Much talk has been made about being undefeated…what I am concerned with most is the team upside and it may be higher than any group Calipari has ever coached.

Great news today about Zadarius Smith and his confirmation that he will play. He might be (along with Avery Williamson and Bud Dupree), the most important part of what UK needs to do on defense and the best chance at salvaging some stops against strong offenses. He is out of the boot and that makes my worry (a potential high ankle sprain) less potent. All in all, I feel like we just missed disaster, sort of like this guy:

3801a7fd63b589f2bf7808e0222ca4c5-pain9

— Hearing a lot of good things about these young skill position players on offense. By the end of the season, it wouldn’t surprise me if up to 5 guys who are true Freshman/newcomers are seeing major time. They have hit the ground running for certain.

The Subway today on UL’s campus was a great time for KSR….lots of UK fans in attendance and UL fans salty that we were there. Throw in an interview with the mayor and it was a good time. More tomorrow on radio and I make my debut on the 4 pm newscast with Jennifer Palumbo on WKYT as well. Plus, the site redesign debuts tomorrow evening. Fun times in this neck of the woods.

Here was last night’s KSR Minute about the UK/UL Football game move:

Article written by Matt Jones

17 Comments for UK Fans of the Day Want Evening Notes

1. Ridge Runner
    9:06 pm August 22, 2013 Permalink

Damn, I can’t stop watchin’ that guy almost get hit by that train!

Now what were ya sayin’ Matt?

2. Ridge Runner
    9:09 pm August 22, 2013 Permalink

Dude walks away all cool and stuff. Yeah right…his pants are wet and packed!

3. paintsville'sdairyqueen
    9:12 pm August 22, 2013 Permalink

Should be last game of the season without a question. Not sure why anybody would be opposed to that… Is there anyway I can catch a ride to Nashville with the ladies up top?

4. Jason
    9:12 pm August 22, 2013 Permalink

That’s great that Z says he’s going to play – but what do the coaches or medical staff say?

5. Yep
    9:41 pm August 22, 2013 Permalink

Good interview with the Mayor. It’s about time someone questions this Jim Jonesesque cult following that Jurich has built in Louisville. Those idiots would bankrupt the whole damn city for UofL, if they were allowed. Enough is enough.

6. Bulldawg
    9:47 pm August 22, 2013 Permalink

Football will be so much better this year compared to last year. Honestly, I can’t wait to hear those air raid sirens again. Win, lose, or draw it will be fun to be a UK football fan again. Go Cats!!!

7. SeaCat
    9:59 pm August 22, 2013 Permalink

Poythress is not 6’5″

8. SeaCat
    10:02 pm August 22, 2013 Permalink

based on him next to WCS, just sayin…
    in the pic you posted….

9. hersheyisabear
    10:14 pm August 22, 2013 Permalink

Could have been the worst funny bone hit in the history of funny bones. Could you imagine?

10. I’m not necessarily opposed to moving the UL game to the end of the season, but it seems to me that more people talked about it when it was the FIRST game and not the third. It was UK that decided a few years ago that they didn’t want it to be the first game because we were losing consistently to UL, and they did it specifically to de-emphasize the game. Matt’s right that no one talks about it nationally when it’s the third game, but that is UK’s fault.

I always was opposed to making this the second or third game because I felt that we were throwing in the towel on football. Anyway, having it as the last game is a LOT better than having it as the third.

11. Captain insano
    10:45 pm August 22, 2013 Permalink

Those girls are banging hot. Babes

12. catdaddyd
    11:15 pm August 22, 2013 Permalink

Who will pay attention to the UK-UL game when you have all those other rivalry games going on. Should be first game of the year, when they get national attention being one of the better games opening weekend.

13. Ashley Shaffer
    12:23 am August 23, 2013 Permalink

Hey Matt sounds like you and Drew are living the dream. I don’t always agree with you and think you can be condescending at times but I know you are a true UK fan and I’ll pay you the highest respect by saying you are the modern day Oscar Combs… Don’t take it for granted.. I wish you and the site/radio show nothing but the best.. This is Ashley Shaffer, Ashley Shaffer BMW..

14. rj
    4:06 am August 23, 2013 Permalink

I don’t think you using tennis as a stepping stone to bigger a better things than ksr, I just think your to cheap to pay for the trips yourself. the only thing I was worried about was 2 weeks of terrible guest hosts to listen to during the workday. if I had to listen to ryan lemmond babble and stammer though an entire show I would shoot myself, he can’t function without you there pulling his strings and making his mouth move with your hand in his back.

15. rj
    8:31 am August 23, 2013 Permalink

your using-and better things, sorry it was early.

16. Cats
    8:43 am August 23, 2013 Permalink

#1 I’m with you.. Matt, can you please calm down with all the hand movements, its awkward and makes me uncomfortable

17. BPM
    9:45 am August 23, 2013 Permalink

Hate to break it to some of you folks, but the UK/UL game has never gotten national attention – regardless of when it was played. Why? Because there has never been a situation where both teams were ranked, or even good, when they played. No one cares about this game outside of the state. Who cares though? We care as fans no matter when it is played. National attention will come as soon as both teams are good (read: ranked).