UK Fans of the Day Want Evening Notes

530714_3122955471838_247246164_n

A few thoughts before a day of fishing:

— John Calipari was in Chicago today meeting 2015 5 star guard Charles Matthews. He is called “Lil Penny” and is the latest great talent that Calipari has his sights set on for the Big Blue. I admit to knowing little about the kid beyond his mix tape (below), but it shows once again that Calipari is not only not resting on his laurels, he is getting them lined up for three years from now as well. Lil Penny can ball and is part of a week long recruiting journey that will be focused upon seeing the talent of the future. Here is Calipari at the school:

BIkPX96CEAAPa6_.jpg-large

And Lil Penny at work:

— Lots of chatter about a couple of potential commitments coming this way for UK football this weekend. Dorian Hendrix, Kentucky’s first commitment of the 2014 class, tweeted that good news could be on the way this weekend and speculation has been rampant as to who is most likely. If I were a betting man (and sometimes I admit that I am) I would say that the most likely candidate is Darryl Long, a 3 star Tight End from Ohio, who has offers from UK, UL, IU, Illinois, North Carolina and others. But with the way Stoops is rocking it now, it could be anyone and when it happens, it will be just more good news on the Stoops train.

— As you know, there has been talk about moving up the start of basketball practice to September, and John Calipari says if that happens, Big Blue Madness will remain the same date (in mid October). But he also notes that no matter when they start, what he is trying to do this year is unprecedented. He told Andy Katz:

“What we’re about to undertake has never been done before — to bring in a group like this. They recruited each other. We’ve got a great staff, but they recruited each other. It took the Miami Heat two years to do what they did. We’ve got to do it in three months. We’ll have the summer, but we could have used a foreign trip with this group.”

Comparing a team to the Heat? Just goes to show that Calipari has no worries about dampening any expectations.

— Finally, if you get a chance check out this montage of the most awkward engagement photos. There are a few great ones, but two in particular stand out to me. There is the guy with the farmer’s tan and his shirt off:

enhanced-buzz-21178-1365586716-5

And the awkward love of a man and a woman (and a poor fitting shirt) on a stump:

enhanced-buzz-22322-1365586785-0

— Check out the others as well. Fun for everyone. Finally, a huge thank you to KSR Radio fans for the latest Louisville ratings book. We once again had our highest ratings period in history, getting an amazing 8.3 in the 25-54 demographic. That puts us second in the city (behind WHAS) and continues a run of ratings that are unheard of in sports talk. Our ratings were up in every demo (especially with women) and we can’t thank you enough. We are now the #1 show in Lexington and the #2 in Louisville, and that is because of you folks. I can’t express to you how grateful I am.

More later on down the way….

Article written by Matt Jones

30 Comments for UK Fans of the Day Want Evening Notes

1. Bobbum man
    9:00 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Sooooo Cals recruiting a guard in the 2105 class??? Guess you gotta get in early

2. Cal recruits the future
    9:01 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

ESPN needs to stop ranking these kids so early. I mean the year 2105 class is already ranking? Sh*t, I need a DeLorean

3. bluetooth
    9:02 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

dear lord

4. Bobbum man
    9:03 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Also is it just me or is the girl in the picture floating??

5. Catlanta
    9:11 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Is Cal hiding a basketball under his suit jacket?

6. Jagman
    9:13 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Ok, so I’m just getting into hour 2 of today’s podcast (my post work ritual), am I the only one that thinks that the Sue Wylie callers have made their way to KSR?

7. Parker
    9:13 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

I see a bunch of pull up jumpers, like Knight. And only in 10th grade. Good eye cal.

8. AnotherBrick
    9:14 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

HEY..RIVALS..leave the kids alone.

At least till their senior year. Recruiting gets creepier all the time.

9. Catlogic15
    9:14 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

1. You’re letting Mandy beat you??

2. I’m a hulluva fisherman, but even I can’t outfish the conditions Mother Nature will give you tomorrow.

10. Thank you
    9:15 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

L1C4 and IUFAN together on a stump. How cute.

11. Matt Jones
    9:19 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

#9…we are on a station that is about 1/4th as powerful as WHAS and has zero ratings when we are not on…AND we do the niche of sports talk. For us to be #2 is astounding…almost no other sports show in America is #2

With that said, WHAS is and always has been a powerhouse

12. Katdaddy
    9:25 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Great googly moogly!!!

13. KT
    9:25 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

I’m not gonna lie, I visited the awkward engagement photos site, am somewhat disturbed that these folks walk among us, but I do have some questions:
    Did these people procreate?
    Was alcohol consumed by the quart, half-gallon, gallon, or more than that before taking those photos?
    What possesses a man to wear capri pants in any photo, much less your engagement one?
    WHY would you act like you were taking a crap in an engagement photo you sent to family?
    What’s up with the railroad pic, seriously?
    Was that supposed to be two fairies in the twelfth photo?

14. tennessee wildcat
    9:25 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Is it just me, or is that dude to the right of coach cal a doppleganger for Drew?

15. Lisa
    9:31 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Good Lord, did that guy forget his shirt? Somebody please help him out!

16. Bob
    9:38 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Fake.

17. Catlogic15
    9:43 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

#11 Matt. I wish you had the 3-5 slot on WHAS instead of Meiners. I could worry about traffic reports at 5:01.

18. Adobe.com
    10:12 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

@4 – she’s not floating, just magically transported from another photo into a room with at least 6 guys making every effort not to look at her. Except for that creepy dude in the upper right,the one behind the creepier dude wearing the white cap reversed. She’s also at least 2x larger than anyone else in the room. What a waste of software.

19. Eric and roll
    10:15 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

In this day and age, with the rampant reclassifications, I assume Seventh Woods will eventually be the PG we want for 2015. Heck, I think I’d rather have seventh woods than Tyus Jones to lead next years team!

20. Rockfield, KY
    10:39 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Seriously, proabably the hottest girl ever on this site.

21. Alexa
    11:21 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

I’m the girl in the top photo.. I don’t know what floating means haha
    This picture was taken while watching the championship last year!! 🙂

22. yousuck
    11:35 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Can you say Whitaker Bank Shot?

23. Hoptownsbeast
    6:58 am April 24, 2013 Permalink

I hope one day you can be heard on all the IMG BBSports network stations. I only listen to our’s in Hoptown during UK events like game & coaches shows. I would def turn it on for more uk fan pleasure. We are stuck with UT sports radio out of Nashville. They hate UK fans calling in on their stations.

24. B-man
    8:15 am April 24, 2013 Permalink

#4 I agree. It does look like the girl in the first picture is floating above the floor. The crew behind her looks pretty proud that they were able to get her to attend their party (presumabley they watched the game then played a little Dungeons & Dragons afterwards).

25. Alexa'sBoyfriend
    8:48 am April 24, 2013 Permalink

Alexa…holler atcha boy. I would throw my digits at you but I’m not trying to have the girl “floating” thats in the bottom picture to call me too. So this is what I’m gonna do. PRAY to GOD we somehow MEAT someday. Thanks. God bless whoever created you. Stay classy girl.

-Mark Stoops

26. lovetofish
    8:58 am April 24, 2013 Permalink

Matt, good luck fishing! Where are you going?

27. RahRah
    9:15 am April 24, 2013 Permalink

Well, I guess we were all floating during the championship game of 2012!

Living in Louisville, whas radio has been huge all my life. Good for you, Matt, giving them a run for their money! #2 is huge here for a sports show.

Thanks for the engagement pictures site. So wrong that I will waste so much time browsing this mess. lol – Gold!

28. Go Deep
    9:51 am April 24, 2013 Permalink

Dude on the stump…. his legs had to amputated immediately after that photo.

29. Tampa Satchel
    11:43 am April 24, 2013 Permalink

Are you sure that is a man and a woman?

30. Pat Francis
    4:03 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

John cal please offer Malik pope out of Cali this kid is 6’8 and only 16 and can pull up from 30 he has to work on his post game but right now he is a great wing player with tremendous size for his age .