UK Fans of the Day Want Evening Notes

On the brink of a busy 3 day period with the Tipoff Luncheon, Media Day and Big Blue Madness, lets take a look at some notes:

— The news today that Patrick Towles is out for Saturday’s game versus Arkansas is yet another piece of bad luck for a season that has seen almost nothing go right. Towles gave optimism and positivity to Saturday’s otherwise depressing Commonwealth Stadium, but with his departure, Kentucky is left with two quarterbacks and less hope. Jalen Whitlow has potential, but from this onlooker’s perspective, it still seems like he hasn’t completely been used correctly. And Morgan Newton now stands as the backup, getting the great word of confidence from Randy Sanders on Saturday that, “we all know Morgan is extremely limited in what he can do.” How inspiring. This team is due some type of good news and positivity. Arkansas, a program in a similar free fall just weeks ago, got it on the road last week in the form of a win versus Auburn. Maybe, just maybe, Kentucky can return the favor against them.

Brett Dawson of Cats Illustrated said this on his website today:

As an aside, if you’re the sort of person who is going to be furious if Joker’s retained, then I think you should brace yourself for the possibility so that you handle it better if it happens. I’m starting to think there’s an increasingly strong case for giving him another year, and I suspect Barnhart might be thinking the same.

I suspect this is not correct. As the stadium on Saturday indicated, the fan base at UK could not be any lower at this moment and it will take a lot to overcome that fact. I said before the season that I thought 6 wins would keep Joker’s job, 4 or less and he was done, and 5 would be a close call. Mitch Barnhart told me on my radio show before the season that he needed to see “improvement” in the program. Injuries may have changed the calculus a bit, because I now think that three wins or less and Joker can’t be retained, 5 or more and he is probably kept and 4 causes a difficult decision for Mitch. But with the Cats now an 18 point underdog at 2-4 Arkansas this week, the idea that a “strong case” currently exists for retaining Joker strikes me as faulty.

— Former UK Hoopster Keyla Snowden is now doing modeling and has produced calendar for sale. Proceeds from the calendar sale go to the Susan G Komen Foundation. She is also doing some work this year with the folks at KSTV as well, covering the UK Hoops team. Keyla is a beautiful young woman with a bright future and we wish her luck on all of her endeavors.

— CBS decided to rank the 100 Top Players in College Basketball today and their list included four UK guys. Here were the spots:

5. Nerlens Noel, 6-10, 228, C, Fr., Kentucky
He’s not Anthony Davis, but he sure will remind you of last year’s number one pick on the defensive end. He’s an exceptional shot-blocker, but does not possess the offensive skills of Davis. – J.G.

32. Alex Poythress, 6-7, 239, F, Fr., Kentucky
Poythress made the transition from purely a power forward to a combo forward who is difficult to defend. He is excellent on the glass, but he is also able to knock down outside shots or go off the dribble. – J.B.

33. Archie Goodwin, 6-4 ½, 198, SG, Fr., Kentucky
Goodwin might have been the best pure scoring guard in the high school ranks last season. He’s extremely athletic and knows how to get to the rim against nearly any defender. – J.B.

62. Ryan Harrow, 6-2, 170, PG, Soph., Kentucky
John Calipari has had success with first-year point guards in the past, but now he has someone who has been in the system for a year. Harrow is a tremendous athlete who loves to make plays. – J.B

I have only minor quibbles with the list. If I were making it, I might go a few spots lower on Noel (8-10), a bit higher on Poythress (15-20), I like Goodwin about where he is and then I would add Wiltjer to the list somewhere, probably between 50-80. Otherwise, I think it is generally fair and gives the Cats credit for what they are…a team with some of the best players in America taking the court every game.

— Finally, Jonathan Nunn is a KSR reader and sent in this picture that he did of UK’s court using some game called “Minecraft.” I have no idea what that is, but this looks like it took a lot of time. So I thought, why not add it for some notes:

More to come as the days and nights progress…

Article written by Matt Jones

31 Comments for UK Fans of the Day Want Evening Notes

1. Jokes on Joker
    9:05 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Since you won’t, I’ll also wish Keyla Snowden good luck with her new gig on your former show, KSTV.

2. question
    9:07 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Matt, will Nerlens be able to play on Friday?

3. cfountaindew
    9:10 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Ali Day as fan of the day!!!!

4. BigAppleJack
    9:17 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

I hope Johnathan is under 16, then the Rupp Pic is cool. If he’s older… lame.

5. Dumpster Fire
    9:21 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

The Joke’s call-in show tonight was Sunshine Pumperific. Where do they find some of these yokels?

6. kywildcat
    9:25 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

epic minecraft world

7. Tooth
    9:25 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Girl 4 seems to know # 3 really well. Hand check

8. Kingscuba89
    9:29 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

You don’t have to play games to know what minecraft is. It’s all over the place

9. Try again
    9:32 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Harrow is not even closeeeeeee to 6’2! Took a picture with him after the nerlens vs stone cold willow game and he was looking up at me! Im only 6’0 – 6’1! The current flat top mighttttt be 6’2! Haha but boyyy can he throw down! Think hes gunna be a huge fan favorite this year

10. 3 fan
    9:39 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

And it’s sad Joker is hiding behind injuries. Name one game they lost that they win with everyone but Clemons. One. Maybe WKU?

11. RealCatsFan
    9:40 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

#7, yes, that does look like an airport hand-check – promising sign! But hands down, the one on the far right is well above the rest on the Scoville scale.

12. Reality
    9:52 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

I bet the girl in the middle shags like a minx!

13. bmt22033
    10:00 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

How do you not know what Minecraft is?

14. Reality
    10:01 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Btw, Brett Dawson is out of his mind!! There’s no way in Hades that Choker comes back next yr. If he does, hello 25k fans at Commonwealth! University is losing too much money and fans to keep him and his inept coaching any longer!

15. uktailg8er
    10:06 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

I wish Russell didn’t switch to baseball. We could use him now.

16. read it
    10:14 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

#1 I think Matt said we wish her well on all her endeavors. All being the key word there. Quit being a jerk.

17. Brew Crew
    10:14 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Pretty sure I know one of the girls above. Also, I have spent a lot of time in the world of Minecraft, and gotta say, nice pic. Dunno why but never thought to recreate Rupp myself

18. UKBlue
    10:17 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

When it comes to football, UK CAN NEVER get anything right. Keeping Joker will be the dumbest business decision in UK history next to hiring Billy G, and since it;s football, is the exact reason why they will do it.

If Mitch keeps Joker, it will ultimately cost Mitch his job, will be the ultimate middle finger to the fans, and will just reinforce to the fans that UK doesn’t care about what the fans want or about football. Season tix sales will plummet, next year team will not be good enough to justify have given Joker another year, and it will put UK even further behind.

19. IHeartKidd-Gilchrist
    10:18 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Matt I appreciate you Putting that pic of those beautiful females in the same post. Now everyone will notice the girls and refrain from commenting on my nerdy creation. Although my stadium does look bad ass. Go Cats!!

20. DebbyDowner
    10:24 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Remember Matt, MB also said he “needed to see improvement” last season. And he pulled a d-bag move and announced joker was staying about 10 minutes before last years BBM. (and that was the week after a 51 point loss). I wouldn’t be surprised in the least bit if he retains Joker. He might even announce it this weekend, just like last year.
    But for the record- I’m on the Sonny Dykes bandwagon.

21. Newt
    10:42 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

First, Keyla….dizzamn. Second, you mean these ‘experts’ think there’s 31 better college players than Poythress, and more egregiously, 100+ better players than Kyle ‘Silk’ Wiltjer? Then they’re not experts.

22. Minecraftia
    11:03 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Ahhhhhhhhh, UK basketball finds Minecraft. It was only a matter of time.

23. Yab
    11:06 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Alright, what’s it going to take for Barnhart to realize the only coach he should be focused on is Petrino? We’re ready to win, 60 years of crap is too much.

24. Computer Blue
    11:09 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Has Joker shown us any reason why next season won’t be even worse if he stays?! He should have been cut last year.

25. Head Bussa
    11:19 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

I’m not worried about Joker being retained. It won’t happen.

Also, most people do not know what Minecraft is.

26. theSkinny81
    11:37 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

READ for LAUGHS. seriously, Louisville fans are the most ridiculous in the country.

27. That Old If-In Game
    11:43 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Mo Williams (stinger)and Bill Ransdale(turf toe)are also questionable for Saturday….however, Dickie Lyons SR is probable!

28. Matt you have some explaining
    11:57 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

This pic of the girls is from 3 years ago…weird it is up here now. Someone must have went deep in the facebook photos to pull it out.

29. putinrichie
    5:21 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

14 – I completely agree. Joker will not be retained. The problem with Brett Dawson’s logic is that this is Year 3. If Joker has this season in Year 2 than maybe Mitch retains him and cites injuries/freshmen potential as the reason for optimism. However, in year 3 when each year under Joker has been a little worse, the Joker expermiment has run its course. Year 1 was worse than Brooks last season. Year 2 of Joker was worse than Year 1. This year has the potential to be the worst year since the 2000 season where we went 2-9 season under Hal Mumme’s final year.

18 – I don’t have a problem with Mitch giving the proverbial finger to the fans as I like an AD that makes his own decisions. That said, he has no excuse for retaining Joker past this season. The program has hit rock bottom and we are staring a 2-10 or 3-9 season right in the face.

30. LA
    10:11 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

So Kyle Wiltjer is not in the top 62 college basketball players in the nation? These CBS analysts that put this list together are dipshits.

31. DB11
    12:17 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

I’ve made quite a few Minecraft Rupp Arenas. None ever looking that nice. Probably took the guy many hours.