UK Fans of the Day Want Afternoon Notes and Podcast

photo

Gooooood afternoon, KSR! **Robin Williams voice** The men pictured above in front of that ancient looking site are part of the Campbellsville Kentucky National Guard Unit currently stationed in Petra, Jordan. Even half a world away fighting for our freedom, these men found the time to rep the Big Blue Nation. I’m not even mad that one guy on the right is wearing red. Thank you for your service.

If you’ve noticed that things have slowed down a bit in the UK news world, you would be right. It’s officially the off-season. But that doesn’t mean that we’re slowing down any here at KSR. Here are some notes from the day:

— UK Hoops continues their quest for the Final Four tonight with a second round matchup against seventh-seeded Dayton in Queens, NY. They’re currently favored by 6. Cheer them on at 7 p.m. on ESPN2.

— A good sign for tonight’s game? Samarie Walker tweeted that she hit an “and one” half court shot with one hand over Coach Mitchell this afternoon. I’m not even sure exactly what that is, but it sounds very impressive.

— Nerlens Noel’s draft stock is on the rise, according to ESPN’s Chad Ford. Ford said that due to the weak draft, NBA scouts are more willing to take a chance on Nerlens with a higher pick, prompting Ford to elevate Nerlens to the top of his NBA Big Board. Ford said that after conversations with NBA scouts and “decision-makers,” Nerlens’ chances of being the #1 pick “have gone up considerably the past few weeks.”

— As for the rest of UK’s freshmen, Ford ranked them all in the first round of his mock draft, with Willie Cauley-Stein going 18th, Alex Poythress 20th, and Archie Goodwin 21st. However, in his NBA Insider chat today, Ford said that he thinks that all three should return to school:

They all are saying they’re staying. Willie Cauley-Stein will likely be a starter. Poythress and Goodwin are the ones that have to worry about losing their starting job. But coming off the bench won’t kill their stock. In fact, it might help it. I hope they all go back to school. None of them are close to being ready for the NBA.

— Just how impressive has John Wall been lately? After he scored a career-high 47 points last night, Grantland’s Chris Ryan said Wall might be “the best player in the NBA now not named Kevin or LeBron.”

— And now for something random: a portrait of Willie Nelson made out of toast.

willie-nelson-toast-646

On today’s radio show, Matt and Ryan talked about Tubby Smith’s firing, UK Hoops’ game tonight, and played “What does Ryan Lemond know about the Supreme Court.” Listen online at talkradio1080.com.

33 Comments for UK Fans of the Day Want Afternoon Notes and Podcast

1. uk3k_J
    3:34 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

I’m going to say it… “First!”

most likely my slow browser is failing to show the other 10 people who beat me to it.

2. Roland
    3:37 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Salute to Our Service men and women:

3. Ready 5
    3:46 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

That’s the ancient site of Petra. I’m pretty sure the USA doesn’t have a base there.

4. shorthop69
    3:47 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

They’re not fighting for my freedom.

5. theWilkman
    3:47 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

That blatant Chive ripoff shirt a few posts below this one is a disgrace. I know you have to make money somewhere, and crappy shirts is a great way, but at least be somewhat original.

6. SexnNursinHomes
    3:49 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

I would love to smoke that toast.

7. dude
    3:51 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Tyler, Samarie made the half court shot while being fouled. I’m disappointed in you.

8. WWMKGD?
    3:54 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Isn’t that where Indiana Jones found the Holy Grail? These guys should have gone inside and taken a photo with the 1000 year old knight dude. Now that would be cool.

9. Mrs. Tyler Thompson
    3:55 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

7 – I realize that, it’s just the way she stated it sounded ridiculous. I want to see a video!

10. RICK
    4:03 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

#4 , What?

11. John Ellis
    4:07 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Nerlens isn’t nearly ready for the NBA as a player, he’ll spend a year and a half rehabbing before he could play any real minutes. But as a man, the guy is ready for anything. Given what he does in the community I don’t think I’ve ever been so impressed with a UK freshman, or upperclassman either. Hate to see him go.

12. Roland
    4:10 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Willie Nelson Knows “Toasted”

13. HistoryLesson
    4:20 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

#5, you do realize that the Chive did not come up with the “Keep Calm and…” slogan, right? The quote, “Keep Calm and Carry On” came from a British propganda campaign during WWII to encourage British citizens to keep going on with their everyday lives, despite the impending threat of Nazi air attacks. The Chive actually copied ther slogan from this campaign, as well as many other organizations and marketing campgaigns.

Not that any of this really matters, but I’ve heard other people talk about the Chive somehow owning this slogan too, when they too actually ripped it off. Sorry, It’s just become a pet peeve of mine.

14. ky_99
    4:23 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Could Noel actually be the #1 overall pick or hell even a first round pick and have to use crutches walking up on stage?

15. Cereal Anthony Davis > Toast Willie Nelson

16. ALEX G
    4:29 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Man on the far left Brian Mattingly- Huge cats fan and a great guy, thank u for all u r doing for our country! Lucky we have people like u to fight for our freedom! Stay safe on your journey over there and see ya when u get back home. Fooboo said whats up and stay safe! Thanks for posting the pic KSR

17. Rixter
    4:39 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Alex Poythress as the # 20 pick? Weak doesn’t begin to describe tis draft. Anybody who any skills at all needs to enter this draft. Hell, don’t you think Montrez Harrell showed a LOT more this year than AP?Come on down, Montrez.
    Anybody else?

18. Rixter
    4:40 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

I didn’t even mean for that last post to be cc, it just flowed off my fingers that way.

19. BowlRyan
    4:41 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

These are the fattest freedom fighters I have ever seen. National Guard = No Standards

20. Miss Nomer
    4:44 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

haha — Duke fans — @TheBermudaBob Plenty of info on Tubby might come out in a while now that he’s fired like it did after he was canned at KU

21. Roland
    4:50 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

19, sign up and show them what a “Real” National Guardsman looks like.

I’ll post your pic all over the internet.

22. notv
    4:52 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

If I recall correctly, there’s a holy grail in there. Just don’t drink from the fancy cups.

23. Seriously!
    5:28 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

“Even half a world away fighting for our freedom.” Ridiculous statement ever. And you were saying samarie was ridiculous…
    If these dudes with coolers and tattoos are fighting for my freedom, I don’t want it…lol

24. theWilkman
    6:37 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

13 – I did not know that. Thanks for pointing it out. Regardless, all of these shirts/posters/whatever are still doing it because of the Chive. Before they hijacked it from the Brits it was virtually unknown.

25. Ricky Bobby
    9:01 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

To anyone making negative comments about these Guardsmen – if you haven’t served as these guys are currently, please just keep you mouth shut or simply say ‘thank you’. Show some respect!

26. doesn'tmatter
    9:38 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

@19- The guy in the blue shirt/sunglasses is family. His name is phillip. Truth is, he’d love you even if you said that to his face, and probably try to cook you something (since you know, he eats all the time). not every soldier looks like a G.I. Joe. I know thats what you think because since people like you make statements like that from behind keyboards, you probably never really see the real world. FYI- YOU can’t call in an air strike or a predator missile from call of duty if these guys quit fighting for you. You’re SOL, so show some respect punk.

27. Bob the Replier
    11:25 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

I guess the KYARNG no longer practices OPSEC.

28. Big Blue Swagger
    11:28 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Woot! So proud of all our military but especially those repping Campbellsville! Be careful and come home safely!!!

29. dave
    12:16 am March 27, 2013 Permalink

Petra Jordan

I love that place except it’s in Allahland. We should move all of the cool shit out of the Middle East and put it in Asia or South America.

30. skullanbonesdiss
    1:13 am March 27, 2013 Permalink

#4 had it right…they are not fighting for my freedom, if anything they are fighting for the fascist/multi-national elite that are taking for greed and self enrichment,

Time to read “Confessions of an Economic Hitman” by John Perkins….he lived it also during the 60″s and 70’s1

Also a must is to EDUCATE yourselves on Lt. Col. Smedley Butler, then get back to me …………..Dorthy we ain’t in Kansas anymore….the blindness nationalistic bullshit has to stop…this info is just a sand pebble on a beach to what is available……I am an American and have an allegiance to the constitution….not despots and traitors that have run amok for decades as Americans watch “Dancing with the Stars”…TIME TO WAKE UP!

Oh yeah….in his own words: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3_EXqJ8f-0

Guess whose grandfather was involved in a coup attempt in the 30’s….let you figure it out!

31. SFC S
    8:49 am March 27, 2013 Permalink

I was told about this photo by a spouse of one the Soldiers in this picture and I would like to explain a few things about them. First of all, the Soldiers in this picture have a combined total of roughly 50 years of military experience- from Active Duty Army and the Marines. Each of these Soldiers have served Combat Tours in Iraq and/or Afganistan. All of them have buried friends that were killed in action during their respective deployments. But enought about that, the comments above say “they” are not fighting for “your” freedom, let me educate you on our oath: “I,solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies,…,and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me…” For us Soldiers, we do not get to pick and choose where and when we go, we are a 100% volunteer Army and must do what were are ordered to do, no matter how flawed our Government may be. For those of you on here that want to spew your hatered and discontent for the men and women that defend our nation, please keep in mind that as Soldiers, we will never ask you for respect, but keep in mind, those of you that say we are not fighting for your freedom; refer to the oath, these men and women spill and shed blood to protect your First Amendment Right, it is that righ that allows you to slander and and post the negative comments written above about these brave men. I hope that one day you relalize that and I pray that you never have to sacrafice the time away from home or the loss of a friend in battle or the birth of a child while deployed or pay the Ultimate Sacrafice that many American Soldiers have done defendin “YOUR” freedom.– SFC MS.

32. skullanbonesdiss
    2:54 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

“we are a 100% volunteer Army” [YOUR WORDS] you make the decision to profit and are paid to fight multi-national wars manufactured through natural and the FALSE FLAG variety….you are not my hero…….if countless numbers decide not to be mercenaries for these fascists thugs they would cease to have “cannon fodder” to fight them [see Henery Kissenger].

Did you even bother to research Lt. Col. Smedley Butler….or see what Jon Perkins has to say about the assassinations and illegal wars that are started for American profits at the expense of other peoples lives?

These are “Banker Wars” and they need facilitators,[heros]…..Knowledge, it is time to quit listening to the propaganda megaphone and open our minds to where the real war is being directed……….at you and me, please watch, it is an historical perspective explanation of past, present and upcoming events.

33. Stace
    9:53 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

A soldier is a soldier!! It does not matter how big, small, shape, size, how many tats, etc. They are here for a reason and that is to fight for OUR FREEDOM!!! Everybody needs to keep the negative comments to their selfs until you have walked in these men’s shoes. Do you think these guys enjoy leaving their family for a year at a time?? I sure wouldn’t. These negative and hurtful comments upset the families of these men. The families are proud of these men as you should be too. Could you leave your loved ones behind for a year. The guy on the left is a personal friend of mine and is a downright GREAT guy! He has been through some tough battles but yet continues to FIGHT for our FREEDOM! Everyone should support our soldiers and thank one every ime you have the oppotunity too. May God Bless them ALL, and also the ones hating on this picture.