UK Fans of the Day Want Afternoon Notes

corey-peters-kentucky-fans

Corey Peters said he’s not going to stop letting these people lean against him until he gets some afternoon notes.  So here you go…

– If you’re looking ahead to the NCAA Tournament, it looks like Tampa is probably the safe bet for where the Cats will end up.  That is, of course, according to Matt Jones of CBS Sports fame.  The second most likely destination is Washington, D.C., but according to the number crunching that Matt did, Tampa appears to be the place.  Cookout at my house.  Tell no one.

– Giving a little clarity to the somewhat surprising pick of Terrence Jones as the SEC Freshman of the Year over Brandon Knight, Coach Cal clarified Tuesday afternoon saying that the school nominated Knight for Player of the Year and Jones for the freshman award.  They were only allowed to submit one for each.  Considering that 17 players earned first or second team All-SEC honors, I’m a little surprised that they had to limit the field.

– Again, as he has in the past few weeks, Coach Cal downplayed the significance of the SEC Tournament some, saying it was important only in terms of their seeding for the NCAA Tournament.  It’s a point that seems to be understandable, but cutting down the nets in Atlanta would significantly decrease any chance that Stacey Pool could sprain a wrist doing the same in Houston.

– If you haven’t yet, go read the Sports Illustrated story on Coach Cal.  Right now.  There’s nothing else in this post that’s better.  Go!

– In another one of their panelist thingys, half of ESPN’s college basketball writers picked UK to win the SEC Tournament.  Those on board with the Cats:  Eamonn Brennan, Pat Forde, Joe Lunardi and Miles Simon.  Isn’t that a fun bunch?

– Don’t look now, but it’s not exactly a fun time to be Jim Tressel.  He cancelled an appearance today and flew back to Columbus to meet with his team, who were all told to “stand firm”.  That way, the money won’t fall out of their pockets.

– There were some interesting comments from Jalen Rose that are sure to get some attention eventually.  On a teleconference today, Rose called black players who played for Duke in the late 1980s and early 90s “Uncle Toms”.  Rose said that it stemmed from Coach K not recruiting black kids from inner cities and he said that he held a lot of resentment toward Grant Hill, who was also the son of a former athlete, but had a completely different upbrining.  Again, I cannot be more excited for the Fab Five documentary.

Finally, if you missed it this morning, Kentucky Sports Radio started out with a bang thanks to Matt’s rant about a certain U of L athletic dire…………THIS IS A TEST OF THE EMERGENCY BROADCAST SYSTEM……was awesome.  Check it out below.

Article written by Thomas Beisner

39 Comments for UK Fans of the Day Want Afternoon Notes

1. P.PattersonISwalkingthruthatdoor
    4:07 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

That “Fans of the Day” picture is the greatest picture in the history of Sean Miller lookalikes.

2. Lou Carnesecca
    4:07 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Nice Beezner, very nice…

3. MARK HAMILTON
    4:07 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

DOES UNCLE TOM HAVE FACEBOOK????

4. Cat Fan in Tampa
    4:12 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Seriously- if they do play down here we need to do something!!!! No way am I missing out on supporting our guys! Please let me know if you will be organizing anything!

5. FAT Turtleneck Day
    4:12 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

When you copy and paste the SI link to facebook, it posts a huge picture of Serena Williams in a white bikini.

6. The Real Pioneer
    4:12 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

JALEN ROSE SHOULD NEVER MAKE SUCH COMMENTS! YOU WOULD NEVER HEAR ANYTHING OF THE SUCH COMING OUT OF THE MOUTH OF TROY MCKINLEY! USUALLY ONLY SILENCE COMING OUT OF THE MOUTH OF TROY MCKINLEY, ESPECIALLY ON THE BALL COURT, HE DIDN’T REALLY NEED TO TRASH TALK, HE LET HIS GAME DO ALL THE TALKING!

7. GoCats2
    4:13 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

That girl in the front is beyond smokin hot.
    I hated Jalen Rose with an extreme passion after the 93 Final Four. Him guarding Travis is the only reason we did not crush them. As an ESPN analyst however he is one of the best there is. I have a lost a small bit of hatred for him since 93, but only a tiny amount.

8. WKU hilltopper
    4:15 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Just realized the two SEC road games we were able to win this year were the only two we lost last year. Ironic.

9. Jonathon (J-Walk) Walker
    4:17 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

#3. My day is now good after it looked all bad and I owe it all to your comment. Thanks you MARK HAMILTON.

10. Jeremy
    4:23 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

I pray to 8 pound, 6 ounce white baby jesus born in the manger that they land in Washington DC. Kentucky never plays teams up here, so I don’t get to see’em.

11. Jeremy
    4:24 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Also, people who wear jeans with holes in them are so 1998.

12. weird
    4:24 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

I was looking on the NCAA’s stats on their websites and found something strange. According to ESPN’s stats, Lamb’s shooting 55-116 (47.4%) from 3 point land, Miller is shooting 46-100 (46%), and Knight at 71-175 40.6%. But when I looked at the NCAA’s leading 3 point percentage shooters not a one was a UK player. I know that Lamb and Miller have less attempts then anyone else on that list, but Knight is right up there. I don’t see why they aren’t on that list? anybody have any input?

13. Jeremy
    4:30 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Jalen is right too, by the way.

14. Troy McKinley
    4:36 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

To “The Real Pioneer”: I hate you. Stop posting about me. Don’t even respond to this, because you are not worthy, just as you are not worthy to post about me.

15. jdhuck
    4:37 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

#12 – I saw this the other day. I could not figure it out either.

16. bung
    4:38 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Is Tom Heitz an uncle?

17. The Rock
    4:40 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

13- Maybe “Uncle Tom” was too strong of a word, but he wasn’t totally wrong. Name one black player from Duke in the 80-90’s. Now name 3 white Dukies from same era. Which was easier?

18. weird
    4:41 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

It makes you wonder if all the people that vote for the awards and all conference/ all american teams look at the NCAA’s records?

19. cats
    4:45 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

the best justice that could happen for 790 is UK and UL are both 4s and UK gets New Orleans and UofL gets Anaheim L.A

20. wazzz he saying ?
    4:47 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Poor Jalen the racist.

21. rupp's grunt
    4:52 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Three things –
    First, Kudos to SI for the fair and balanced article on Cal. I may not cancel my subscription after all.

Second, a little prayer: Pleeze oh Lord, let the Cats play in Tampa. And pleeze let Beez have some tickets and need someone to go to the games with him, namely me. I will let him go with me to the Rays’ opening day, and he can sit with me in the free hat section.

(Think about it Beez…a FREE HAT. Not as good as a Free Enes, perhaps, but I’ll also buy you all the eight dollar beers you can swill, and one of them tasty Kayem Rays dogs. Hell, you can wear my commemorative Joe Maddon glasses.)

And finally, another little prayer: Pleeze, oh, Lord, let my eye surgery on Friday go off without a hitch and let me get home in time to at least hear the game online (and some decent pain meds, too, if that’s not too much to ask).

But Lord, if you can’t do all of those things, then just the Cats in Tampa and the tournament tix, please. I’ve still got one good(ish) eye.

Go Cats!

22. LOL @ #3 & #5!!!!

23. Boyd Baker
    5:00 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

How do you get to the Calipari article? There’s no link in Beisner’s write-up above.

24. sunnycat
    5:03 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Beez will you plaese block “The Real Pioneer”? Enough already.

25. Lazlo
    5:11 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Good God man. Jurich so does have an emergency broadcast button in his office … and each time the test has kicked me off the podcast.

26. Smack Talk
    5:14 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Already have the DVR set for the Fab Five Doc. It will be epic I’m sure.

24- I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who feels that way.

23- Try google

6- Troy had no game at least at the college level

27. Dude
    5:14 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

eeeerrr

28. SagaciousMind
    5:15 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Jalen Rose, man you are pathetic. So because some black people have decided to make somethin outta themselves and dont want their kids growin up on the streets, that makes them Uncle Tom’s? Coaches have their own preferences of what types of kids they recruit. Ever think the Coach K cant related to the Urban stream? That’s why he goes after players like Patrick Patterson, who he obviously didnt get, instead of players like Chris Weber who took money from ppl. Anything to make it a race issue. I’d like to see Grant Hill’s response. Afterall, Grant Hill didnt have his seasons erased unlike the Fab Five. Hell for the longest time Coach Cal never had any white players, is he racist? Stupid.

29. stegbrent
    5:38 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Fab Five?wow.I am so excited.yippee.may as well shutdown all the other channels.ha ha!Didn’t like them before they beat Ky. and didn’t like them afterwards.And Duke didn’t need a lucky Laettner shot to beat Michigan.Man Grant Hill went off on those boys!TIMEOUT!

30. Ricky 3 stacks
    5:42 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

6. Do the world a favor and go kill urself.

31. Mojo74
    5:44 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Wes, you made KSR!

32. Mojo74
    5:56 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Look its Wes!

33. lexslamman
    6:18 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Duke is to racism what Kentucky is to incest.

34. 8 mile
    9:31 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Tito Jackson is amazing.

35. dark helmet
    9:32 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

ahhh… a picture of my fellow jackasses

36. David 1
    11:03 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Racist? Ninja please…….

37. rhettzi
    9:56 am March 9, 2011 Permalink

girl in the front i love you

38. The Buckhead Boys
    10:18 am March 9, 2011 Permalink

I guarantee those two guys on the left will be tearing it up in Atlanta. Drew Franklin they are your role models.

39. NBA league pass
    3:36 pm March 9, 2011 Permalink

12) you’re right, that’s a crock!

and I would wax every female in that picture…twice.