A few notes on this Monday after Arcade Fire….
– On the SEC Coaches Teleconference today, Calipari criticized his team for their inability to close out games and said that they let six breakdowns in the final five minutes of the game ruin what he called 35 minutes of “terrific” basketball. Cal said that his team hasn’t figured out yet that defense is as big a part of winning late as making offensive plays and that the lack of attention to defensive details and assignments are what is costing them. He cited Florida as a team that is able to finish strong because they’re players raise their intensity. He said his team has to figure out how to do the same. Obviously, the next step in finding a way to close games is making the Cats choose between a Rollie Fingers mustache, a Dennis Eckersley mullet or a Brian Wilson beard.
– Brace yourself for this. UK is favored by twenty points over Mississippi State. Yes, I said twenty. Two-zero. Wow.
– You can assume that if he was a betting man, Calipari wouldn’t be taking the Cats. He said on the call this morning that Mississippi State has “as good of players as anyone” in the SEC and they are going to come in with something to prove. Given the mismatch issues they seem to present for the Cats in the area of personnel, Kentucky appears to be in a battle tomorrow. No way this one could be a blow-out.
– TWENTY POINTS!!!!! TWENTY!!!!!!!!!
– You love Randall Cobb. Apparently, so does Todd McShay. ESPN’s second-best set of NFL Draft hair already placed Cobb at #29 overall last week on his big board and rated him as the draft’s third-best receiver. On this morning’s Sportscenter, McShay had him listed as the fourth-best running back prospect. I’m still cautious about whether this was a typo that made it’s way onto television, but McShay and Kiper review running backs tomorrow and Cobb could be in the discussion. Which would seem a little surprising.
– Speaking of surprising, TWENTY POINTS!!!!!! TWENTY POINTS!!!!!
– One last note on the contest for The V Foundation. The link will remain at the top left of the site and we’ll be able to update periodically with who is winning. Thank you to all of you who have or will donate. We’ve all been lucky beyond our wildest dreams so far and we’re excited about being involved in some stuff coming up that allows us to give back a littlel.
If you missed the Kentucky Sports Radio show today, you really dropped the ball. The guys talked UK and Vandy, DeMarcus Cousins, Skyline Chili and the Grammy’s with Tomlin. It was a week’s worth of fun jammed into 120 minutes. Re-live it below.