UK Fans of the Day Want Afternoon Notes

A few notes on what could potentially turn into one of the biggest news days in quite some time…

– As noted earlier, today is the day that Enes Kanter will state his case before the NCAA’s Appeals Board in a final effort to gain eligibility.  That ruling could come as soon as this afternoon or possibly not until next week.  But, we did find out courtesy of the Bylaw Blog that there have already been three rulings in the case, though only one was reported, and that, according to Jeff Goodman in an interview with KSTV, Kanter lost his inital appeal prior to UK submitting the new info.  There was some speculation that UK submitted the new information in a preemptive move, but, according to Goodman, Kanter’s fate had already been determined.  Confession:  I wrote this before we got the video loaded.  Just watch the video.

– Another day of strange twists in the recruitment of DeAndre Daniels.  After a decision was expected today, reports now say that Daniels could wait until as late next week.  It’s momentum that Daniels seemed to give credence to this morning when he told KU site The Shiver that “honestly, I don’t know” when he would choose a school.  There’s even some talk building that Kansas might not be such a lock.   And so, we wait.

– Before disappearing to the abyss of an SEC suspension, Bruce Pearl had some advice for his team, which was fresh off of a beatdown of Memphis.  Pearl told the guys to “not to get too excited about a win over a Conference USA team”.  Man is he lucky that wasn’t Southern Miss.  They’d have to dance that off.

– The formidable frontcourt duo that is Perry Stevenson and Jared Carter will be back in the Bluegrass tonight as their Rochester RazorSharks take on the Bluegrass Stallions.  They combined for eight points in their debut.

– In other Turkish news, Fenerbahce released Diana Taurasi from her contract after testing positive for a banned substance (estrogen?).  They still remain the most hated team on the planet.

– Finally, in case you missed it this morning, here’s the podcast of Kentucky Sports Radio.  Seth Davis stopped by for a great interview that included shout-outs to John Clay and Jerry Tipton and Big EZ returned to the studio.  Listen below.

Article written by Thomas Beisner

76 Comments for UK Fans of the Day Want Afternoon Notes

1. P.PattersonISwalkingthruthatdoor
    2:48 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

Taurasi joke is HOF-worthy, Beis

2. Phat Jones
    2:51 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

Wonder twin powers, activate!

3. WOW!!
    2:53 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

I REALLY like the fans of the day!!

4. Harley Wells
    2:54 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

Is that Fabio in the background?

5. Nashville Cat
    2:54 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

I wish Pearl would tell his fans the same thing. Lord, part of the bad part of being a UK fan in Nashville is that you’re surrounded by Vol fans that have little to no clue about basketball and Vandy fans that think academics are somehow important in sports. If I have one more UT fan come up to me today and say “looks like UK better be scared, Vols are back,” I might go postal.

6. meistro
    2:54 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

WOW!!!!!!

7. DoubleZeroMostel
    2:55 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

The NCAA is full of nativists, somebody get La Raza on the case.

8. enes
    2:59 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

The original enes says: Looks like the NCAA has done a wonderful job of confusing the Kentucky media about the Enes appeals. Maybe a new blog devoted to UK sports will emerge or even a good sports radio station.Beware the fake enes.

9. Big Blue 66
    3:00 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

the girl on the right (not saying the one on the left is not bad a*s as well) may be the hottest fan of the day ever

10. what happened
    3:01 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

hey Beez, what happened to the lovely ladies at Keeneland picture? Did Drew put something in their drinks?

11. LOL
    3:01 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

He said he didn’t know when the announcement would be, not where he wanted to go. His decision is made.

12. SexnNursinHomes
    3:02 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

Those chicks aren’t English, their teeth are too straight.

13. catinhat
    3:03 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

11 – what?

14. LOL
    3:07 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

13) He said he didn’t know when he would the announcement would be not that he didn’t know where he would go.

15. Pitino's Penicillin
    3:13 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

Free me

16. catinhat
    3:18 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

14. I’m thickheaded. Who?

17. catinhat
    3:19 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

Oh. Nevermind. I’m stuck on Enes.

18. Jaws2
    3:22 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

BTW, those chicks are from page3.com, if you like the ladies, you’ll love this site. It’s a page 3 item in the Sun Times paper
    every day and unlike the U.S, they don’t mind expopsing the girls; if you know what I mean !

19. Mr Schwump
    3:22 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

2-1.

20. catintn
    3:24 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

Im getting really tired of “SOME” of these high school kids and there decision where to attend college. Daniels is almost treating it like a chance to get an extra 5 minutes of fame. I mean really, how bad do the Cats really need him? I think he is a pre-madonna starved for attention and trying to suck all the limelight for himself- we need to get ENES FREED and forget this punk, hes not worth all this hype. If he goes somewhere else(and I dont care either way) Cal will just put another stud in his place and keep rolling. The days of worrying during the Billy Clyde days are long gone-THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!

21. new-school
    3:25 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

much better picture.

22. new-school
    3:26 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

20. I recall people saying the same thing about TJ.

23. catinhat
    3:28 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

20 – As in “Before Madonna”?

Your name looks too close to mine.

24. JayShidlersRoots
    3:29 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

Best UKFOD in a long time!

25. Jezz
    3:29 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

These two english chicks paid in England by the newspaper The Sun to be… hot are UK fans? Did you double check that? University of Kentucky = United Kingdom? Big Blue nations knows no bounds I guess!

26. Rickstonguepunchedhole
    3:30 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

It hurts when I puke brown stuff.

27. so what
    3:30 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

Gilly > Daniels

28. catinhat
    3:31 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

And he would be Prima uomo, not Prima donna, since he’s a dude. According to Wiki.

29. What's all this then?
    3:32 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

Those two birds are a bit of all right!

Let me ask the room: Is it possible for a kid to be a professional basketball player and not know it? And his family not know it?

Because it sounds like that’s what the NCAA is going rule.

30. Nerd fight
    3:32 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

20. I recall people saying that about John Wall. Blame the media and the constant desire to be first to break a story.

31. typical ul fan
    3:32 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

L Yes

32. Rickstonguepunchedhole
    3:35 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

someone meet me at Porcinis today 6ish.

33. Buzzard
    3:36 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

I’m moving to England! And I don’t care if they are UK fans or not.
    Free Enes

34. steviesdroppedtdcostmeagrand
    3:42 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

i wish the NCAA would just do what we all know they are going to do. my refresh button thanks you.

35. bg
    3:42 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

20. 1) These are high school kids tasked with more pressure and responsibility than 99% of us ever were. I cut them some slack for that. Who knows how any of us would have acted in that scenario at 17-18? Probably the same way. 2) If you’re going to slam potential recruits, the term is “prima donna.” It’s Italian.

36. bg
    3:43 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

Catinhat–well played.

37. catinhat
    3:44 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

35 – 20,28. Duly busted.

38. catinhat
    3:46 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

Oh. Thx. Typed before saw 37. Anyway, moving on . . .

39. Viren
    3:47 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

Here is what Jay Bilas had to say about Enes Kanter situation fresh out of Bilas Chat and ESPN:Brandon Nicholson (London, KY)

What will become of the Enes Kanter situation at Kentucky…local reports point to a decision in the near future. Based on the Cam Newton ruling, albeit, in another sport, can they ethically deny him eligibility once again?
    Jay Bilas
    (2:09 PM)

The decision is supposed to come today, according to a story I read by Jeff Goodman. I have no information on the decision, but my gut tells me that the NCAA will not reinstate him. I think he should be allowed to play immediately, and believe that his suspension was a mistake. Reasonable minds can differ, but that kid did not do anything to show intent to professionalize. In fact, he turned away from pro money. Riddle me this. How can Clemson QB Kyle Parker be an amateur when he plays professional baseball and is a millionaire, but Kanter, at worst, took school expenses and is a professional? The kid wants to go to school and play. We should not put up an artificial barrier in his way, or anyone else’s. Just one man’s opinion.
    Haswell (LA)

Kentucky is young again but this team lacks the ego of last years freshman core, do you see Coach Cal putting them together for a deeper run?
    Jay Bilas
    (2:12 PM)

I continue to be amazed by Kentucky and the job that John Calipari does with such young players and teams. Most coaches struggle with freshmen, but Cal seems to be able to get them to play like upperclassmen in a hurry. I thought that UK would struggle with Louisville (with Buckles playing), but the Cats crushed them. If Kanter played, UK would be a Final Four contender. Without him, they are an Elite Eight team that could make a Final Four with a break or two. Pretty impressive, really.

40. BPsycho
    3:51 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

#12 True, but god bless England lol

“after testing positive for a banned substance (estrogen)”

SoooO many jokes… Fight the urge, fight the urge…..

41. Viren
    3:51 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

I think we need to just bypass NCAA and take this case to the court. I would love for the NCAA to defend their actions on previous amateur cases. I do not think we are going to win with the NCAA.

42. secrulez
    3:53 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

FREE ENES

43. The Rock
    3:54 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

20 has to be Mark Hamilton using a new username as an escape goat. He used countless exclamation marks, random, ill-fitting CAPS words and screwing up the spelling a common phrase, all over an 18 year old guy he doesn’t even know. WAKE UP AND SMELL THE ROSES!

44. Retnak Sene
    3:54 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

SENE EREH. MI ANNOG EB EERF NOOS. YRROS ROF EHT EDOC. HSUH HSUH

45. The Rock
    3:55 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

Wake up and smell the COFFEE, I mean. Poor execution on my part.

46. KentuckyHouse
    3:57 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

39) Once again, Jay Bilas is the voice of reason when it comes to Kanter. I can’t believe he went to Duke and I actually respect him, but I do. Thanks for posting that!

47. Syrin
    3:59 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

Who are the smoking hot chicks?

48. teabagginJORTS
    3:59 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

Who needs Kanter when you have tea baggin, throw it down your throat Jorts

49. Catfan
    3:59 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

I honestly don’t want Daniels to come to Kentucky. Because that would almost definitely prevent Trevor Lacey from coming. Lacey is a 4 year player who will immediately be able to score(if we need him to). I would much rather have Lacey than Daniels.

And Enes will be freed one day..and if he isn’t than I wish him the best of luck in the NBA.

50. steviesdroppedtdcostmeagrand
    4:00 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

if only bilas was on the appeals committee. only way that would the situation??

51. tom5673
    4:00 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

nice recruits tubby…purry and carter…absolutely awful.
    nothing against those guys personally of course.

52. aborted pitinos
    4:06 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

Guy on the right looks like a cross between Gilligan and The Skipper.His legs are whiter than his shirt, hit the tanning bed old man..

53. Rickstonguepunchedhole
    4:10 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

I wish pitino would pull down his jorts so everyone can see my abuse

54. teabagginJORTS
    4:12 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

I’m sure it would be wounded

55. MtnCat
    4:13 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

I can’t imagine a world with a free Enes…..too complex, as in…..World Peace.

56. KY_Wildcat_AL
    4:14 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

Don’t look like UK fans to me-
    I like to see Blue and White…
    or nothing at all!

57. Viren
    4:19 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

46) I have always respected Jay Bilas even though he went to Duke not just because he tend to favor with Kentucky but he is definitely a voice of reason. He also said, NCAA might have just shot themselves in foot suspending Izzo for one game.

58. bung
    4:25 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

nice Pic Mr. Beisner……..more plz

59. TommyTurtlenecksPitstains
    4:28 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

44- Haha, nice man. RUO SENE SI REGGIB NAHT SRUOY!!

60. bearded gnome
    4:28 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

If Enes if freed, who will be the first victim?
    I say if freed, the undertaker will extract 3 months of frustration out on Rob Chubb of Auburn in Rupp. Why, cause i don’t like the Chubb.

61. Bull Butter
    4:38 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

48 – sounds like you know alot about it. Guess you throw it down your throat all the time. Thanks for sharing.

62. Thats what im talkin bout
    4:53 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

Yes these girls, is what im talkin bout

63. bung
    4:56 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

Are the Stallions on radio or TV 2nite?

64. lpool003
    5:02 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

Go England!

65. Matt
    5:02 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

Message to the NCAA I know u have tried to drag the enes kanters decision out to try to save face but 1 decision doesn’t make up for 10 wrong decisions ex: Shelby ,osu, cam newton ect ect.

66. bung
    5:11 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

The NCAA has a “feedback” selection on their site. They solicit comments either pro on con on it so they say.

67. hmmmmjustmaybe
    5:18 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

Maybe daniels is waiting on enes ruling to decide …..ya never know

68. billy
    5:31 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

HOw about all of us just getting off the Kanter and Daniels stuff until it finally ends. Thank you.

69. Throckmorton
    5:43 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

39. that’s the most intelligent thing i’ve ever heard Jay Bilas say. i’m impressed.

70. Viren
    6:19 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

69) Jay Bilas have said this many time in support of Kanter as well as Dick Vitale 57) thanks for correcting me I knew he broke a record. 61) Cats win Championships at a time i.e. 48, 49, 51 and 96, 97-runner up, 98 therefore next string of NCAA Championships are in the horizon it may not happen this year but next year’s Cats will be serious threat. Thing you need to know is Cats win NCAA Championship for about every 2 trips to the final four.

Kentucky: 13 FF and 7 titles. app. ~2 FF: 1 NC
    North Carolina: 18 FF and 5 titles. ~4 FF: 1 NC
    Duke: 15 FF and 4 titles. ~4 FF: 1 NC
    Kansas: 14 FF and 3 titles. ~5 FF: 1 NC

One lesson we should learn from this statistics is that when Cats do get to the final four they come home with a National Championship at least 50% of the time. So when we do see the likes of Dukes, UNC, and Kansas get to final four more often is because they have to they choke up and go home empty most of the time.

71. Big D
    6:29 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

Holy Sh*t Batman. I don’t see any background. That is one Dynamic Duo. Who cares about sports with a picture like that ? Did I say Holy Sh*t Batman already ? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

72. In the World
    6:50 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

The girl on the right may be the hottest girl in the world!

73. catintn
    7:01 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

#39) Well said my friend, excellent points- I’ve never really thought about it that way and every word is the truth. I think something needs to be done about the NCAA- they are just like Roger Goodell, way too much power. The only thing Kanter wants to do is experience the college life- he could have been a multi-millionare by the age of 16 if he chose to do so. And catinhat, I thought the same thing about your name- and if you will notice I said “MOST” of the recruits- not all. Daniels has done nothing but toyed with potential suitors, and how many times has it been leaked by “his people” about a decision only to turn around and change it the next day.

74. stevied
    7:16 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

I’ll take the ugly one.

75. stevied
    7:17 pm January 6, 2011 Permalink

y

76. Biglaw Dawgin
    11:37 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

Ok, I know there is absolutely no proof that those two are actually UK fans, but I’ll make an exception here.