A few notes..
– If you missed it, DeAndre Daniels will pick a school on Thursday. It is expected to be Kansas. Ok, glad we got that out of the way.
– After visiting Perry Ellis last night in Wichita, Coach Cal is again on the road today doing a little recruiting work. He said in his Lexy message that he was “heading east”. Andre Drummond? DaJuan Coleman? Laodu? The possibilities are endless.
– Calipari also said that things have tightened up in practice lately and that he’s demanding a lot out of the team right now. He’s challenged them worry about getting better every day in the fundamental things that the coaches have been preaching, as well as playing with more emotion and talking more to each other on the court. He said that he’s told them to focus on getting 5% better each day. To give you an idea about what “demanding” means exactly, Cal said that he’s told the players that he doesn’t need their affection. That’s what he has friends and family for. Tough love!
– Another interesting little bit was the acknowledgement that that vast majority of what Cal says to the media is for the players to read. That really shouldnt’ be a surprise to anyone. Cal then went on to compliment Lamb, Knight and Harrellson, while adding that Darius Miller needs to “bring out” what they’re seeing in spurts and DeAndre Liggins needs to improve his offensive game. I hope they’re reading this.
– After saying he wanted a deeper rotation and then going back and saying he was prepared to play with six guys, Cal said that he hopes to “expand the minutes” on the team and that he could find one or two guys to give more playing time to. This, of course, all goes back to guys finding a reason for Cal to keep them on the court. For Jon Hood, that seems to be defense. For Eloy Vargas and Stacey Poole, that is more likely just establishing a presence when they’re on the court. In terms of Jarrod Polson, SHOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTT!!!!
– The Compass Bowl off-the-field festivities kicked off today with a breakfast featuring former Alabama running back Shiran Stacy. Only 48 more hours until Groove Daddy!
-In case you missed Kentucky Sports Radio this morning, Matt and Intern Drew made it Ladies Day as they championed all things Women’s Lib and welcomed Kara Lawson to the show. Check it out below.
– Finally, Perry Ellis got all fancy for Cal and Coach O and dunked last night. This is the photographic proof.