UK Fans of the Day Want Afternoon Notes

There are two stories worth talking about in UK land, so we might as well get right to them:

HARRISON TWINS: The Harrison Twins shocked man onlookers yesterday by announcing that they will make public their decision as to which college to attend on Thursday at 5 pm on ESPNU. Today news has spread and fast and furious but it amounts to this:

— Maryland has scheduled a last ditch in-home visit on Wednesday night to try and convince the Twins to come to College Park. Drew’s photoshop below of “Say Anything” seems appropriate.

— The Twins’ father originally told USA Today that no college coaches had his son’s phone number and the only person who did was an official with Under Armour apparel.

— Since then, the Twins’ father has backtracked and said the coaches do have his number, making the entire “who has the Harrison Twins’ phone number” story very confusing.

— We also found out that the Twins have been visited twice by John Calipari, one more visit than had previously been made public.

So there you go…the Twins decide on Thursday. All the information I am hearing points to a Kentucky decision. But as they say, in recruiting you never know until you know…and then sometimes you still don’t know.

PATRICK TOWLES: Joker Phillips announced yesterday that the redshirt will be pulled from Patrick Towles and he will be prepared to play beginning on Saturday. The question now is (1) whether that decision is a good one and (2) how will he be used. I have applauded Joker for not using Towles in the past, as I thought it was a selfless act of a coach who could otherwise have burned the redshirt for his own good, but not that of the kid. However circumstances have forced Joker’s hand. Max Smith is now out, potentially for the year, and Morgan Newton has proved to be an ineffective weapon and not a viable option. You can’t go into a game with one Quarterback, so putting Towles as the backup makes sense. Joker wanted nothing more than to save the Redshirt year for Towles, but you have to do what you have to do, and at this point, he has to be ready.

So should he play on Saturday? I generally think that if you play two quarterbacks, you actually have zero quarterbacks, as very rarely does a platoon situation work. But, with the hits Whitlow is bound to take over SEC play, it seems likely that Towles will get some action at some point. Whatever Joker does, he will get criticism. But what is clear is that a number of fans want to see Towles get in the game as much as possible…and once the decision has been made to pull the redshirt, there seems little downside in giving him his shot. Either way, UK will have to win SEC games with a kid who was playing against high school competition just nine months ago.

Here is today’s podcast, which included Harrison Twins talk, Patrick Towles and a lengthy discussion of Siamese Twins, which did not please our caller Bob:

Article written by Matt Jones

45 Comments for UK Fans of the Day Want Afternoon Notes

1. You know
    2:49 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

The Harrison’s dad MUST be a politician. The way this guy flip-flops, he could train the millionaires that become politicians. The vibes I get from the dad, I’m not sure I want the kids. We don’t need another Larry Orton.

2. Eric K
    2:51 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

IN CAL WE TRUST!! GO CATS!!

3. Scott Cooper
    2:52 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

The dad needs to watch old WWF tapes and learn how to use a mic. Personally parents who open their mouths like he does sounds to be a jealous old man who is trying to steals the kids glory.

4. Behind Enemy Lines
    2:57 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

Is Kyle Tucker a “man onlooker”?

Y, N, N, N, Y, Y, N, Y
    N, Y, Y, Y

5. TheDecker
    2:58 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

Wow..that is one fine piece of arse…I know from experience dude if you know what I mean….well not me personally but a guy I know, him and them got it on..wahooweeeeeee….no no no they didn’t, but you could imagine what it’d be like if they did…huh? huh?

6. I'm Just Sayin
    3:01 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

Doug Gottlieb says you are a Homer Matt. And also that I am apparently a miserable person. I will go stand in the corner and be miserable now. Also, WELCOME TO THE BIG BLUE HARRISON TWINS!!!

7. 96cats98
    3:01 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

He sounds about as looney as Legion’s mom!!

8. SexnNursinHomes
    3:02 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

What a Butthole buffet that is.. Whew weee…. I’d space-dock every one of those chicks. Because space-docking is fun….

9. ChicagoCat
    3:03 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

Only reason for moving their decision date from Oct. 29th to Oct. 11th is that it’s the day before they have to go to one college’s Midnight Madness. And the change in date only make sense if they had decided to go to UK’s event. It would seem to me that The Twins can’t come to UK’s Midnight Madness on Friday, unless they officially commit to the Cats on Thursday. If they went to Maryland’s, they could say we went to UK last year. No one would blink an eye. If they come to UK that is two years in a row for them and there is no doubt they would become the first commits to the 2014 class. The key here is the change in the decision date. The dad is happy to play the game courting two great teams and holding MIke and UA in the balance. If he held the upperhand for UM, they would be going to that practice and could easily make their choice on 10/29 as they had said all along. While it is far from done, I think this plays stronger to UK’s case. We will know tomorrow.

10. Cats R Back
    3:07 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

#9 They are making the announcement THIS Thursday. And you wrote all that for nothing lol

11. asdgdsg
    3:07 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

From the H-L story:

“John Calipari, who visited the twins on the first day of the contact period, has actually been to Houston twice in the last few weeks. Harrison Sr. declined to name the date of the UK coach’s second (and previously unknown) visit.

“He asked me not to disclose that, but he has been here (twice),” he said.”

Why would Cal request ahead of time that the dad not disclose the date of the visit? It makes sense if he visited, say, yesterday morning or the day before; the twins gave him a verbal commitment; and then Cal asked the dad not to tell anyone when he visited, because doing so would ruin the surprise of the TV announcement.

12. GoCats77
    3:08 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

Horace Grant: Clemson
    Harvey Grant: Oklahoma

13. The More You Know
    3:10 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

@9 – Except their decision date is this Thursday, October 4th. No particular relevance I see for this date. My guess it was the soonest date that ESPN could promise them air time.

14. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    3:12 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

now i’m getting really nervous

15. Tuscloosacat
    3:15 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

What’s this about UA, Alabama?

16. Behind Enemy Lines
    3:16 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

15) UA = Under Armor

17. Lincoln Park
    3:18 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

Mr. Harrison sounds shady…

18. Big Blue 66
    3:19 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

UK gets the point guard maryland gets the 2 guard, we land Young to play the 2, wiggins at 3 and randle

19. Yngvie Maumsteen.
    3:19 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

The relevance of them moving up the announcement is so they can be the 1st commitments other than Willis to UK, if it’s UK. They have been rumored to want to be 1st among the wave of impending 2013 UK commits.

20. stoopidface
    3:24 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

18… i hope you’re not serious. everyone knows the twins won’t split

21. Gay Ryan Lemond
    3:26 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

I can’t wait to give the twins one of my world-famous massages!!

22. schwing
    3:27 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

high maintenance. not worth it.

23. Tiffinwildcat
    3:28 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

It seems to me that they moved up their commitment date after the James Young visit to beat him to be the first big time commits to the 2013 class. I remember reading somewhere that they wanted to be first so it only makes sense that when news broke of Young loving his visit that they would want to go ahead and commit.

24. knightynight
    3:32 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

I was in that wedding from the picture this past weekend and don’t remember any of those bombs…I don’t remember much, however.

25. snarkster
    3:32 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

Maroon dress…front row…second from right…YUM!…just sayin’

26. kybigblue
    3:35 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

An AAU coach out of Texas told me this summer during AAU at Disney that the Harrison twins father will want them to make a business decision so he was predicting they would end up at UK. Th. will determine whether the go to UK which would be the best business decision or to MD. where the father has ties.

27. NotZapped
    3:37 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

Women onlookers were not shocked.

28. Dave in Bangkok
    3:45 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

I can vouch for Bangkok and Seoul. BKK traffic SUCKS!!!

29. Musehobo
    4:01 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

I’m sorry, but I can’t trust a girl that only has pretty friends. There are too many nice, ugly girls out there for this ratio to be 100%. The world will explode in 3…2…1…

30. ChicagoCat
    4:01 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

So sorry I got my dates wrong. Been sick and lost a week, that or I am a LOOPER! And I am going to close this loop by saying that the logic still holds. Travel plans for Midnight Madness will come out. Only way you see the Harrison Twins back in Rupp is if they have already committed to the Cats. Add the pressure of wanting to be first to commit and they move up the commitment date. Go Cats!

31. JBR
    4:04 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

Matt, you continue to show your lack of football knowledge with your discussions. You need to start to listen to some of your callers instead of dismissing their ideas as being below yours.

32. LooperCat
    4:05 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

What’s all this gold doing strapped to by my back!

33. agree
    4:13 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

with #22..

34. groface_killah
    4:14 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

EAT EM WICHA GRINGAAZZ

35. Dee
    4:26 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

WooWzers!!!!….Those are some beautiful ladies…..The bottom left and 2nd from the bottom right…are my future ex-wives…holy cow…amazing.

36. BravoBigBlue
    4:52 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

Should Towles play? Of course he should. Why pull the redshirt if you aren’t going to put him in the game? And it doesn’t matter whether you play 1, 2, 3, or 10 QB’s. This team has only 1 more win to get. And that was true before Smith was injured. You’re only as good as your weakest link. Unfortunately, in this case, that’s the head coach.

37. Twitcat70
    5:17 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

IMO……the twins gave Cal a verbal during his last visit. They decided to go ahead and commit so 1) they can be they first big time recruits to commit and, 2) to let the dominoes start falling in place per Cal’s request. (IE. Young, Randle or Wiggins.) Also imo….the visit from Turgeon was set up a long time ago that due to the twins father’s love for Maryland and feelings and respect for Turgeon.

38. Kentucky Gentleman
    5:30 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

Joker is an idiot for burning Towles’ redshirt. There is nothing left to gain in this season that is worth wasting it like this. Now that he has burned it, he needs to get Towles some playing time to get some experience, but I think the better move would be to keep the redshirt and go with Whitlow at QB and use Newton as the backup. This way Pat would have 2 years of eligibility left if he never beats out Smith instead of the one year he has now.

39. 2020
    5:37 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

Best thing about 2 different QBs… your opponent is forced to spend time during the week preparing for 2 different looks.

40. American Pie
    7:18 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

This is pretty interesting website about “American Pie” http://understandingamericanpie.com/index.htm

41. Oldfatcat
    9:30 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

Just want to know who said Maryland set up the last ditch effort. I was worried about the visit at first, but now knowing Maryland set it up tells me we got ’em. I’m still a bit nervous. I suffered through Tubby’s recruiting. Great coach, though. Under Armour has nothing on Cal.

42. j
    10:18 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

As an avid and active fan of both the radio broadcast and the blog I have question regarding the “fans of the day”. I do not understand why these ladies, although obviously attractive, are “fans of the day”. They are not wearing UK gear they are not throwing up the 3-goggles or doing anything to represent UK. I love the in-depth, yet humorous, sarcastic, witty approach to sports coverage that you all take, but it is incredibly annoying, as a female UK and KSR fan, that you use the excuse of a “fans of the day” picture to post a photo of women for no reason (except maybe that you hope will see this post, email you, and the end of a romantic comedy ensues). Come on…where are the underwater 3-goggles or even post a picture of Johnny Short in his Kroger uniform everyday and that would be more acceptable.

43. catzzzzzzz
    10:50 pm October 2, 2012 Permalink

My only question is why would the twins announce they were coming to Big Blue Madness and then say they’re announcing the week B4 BBM , seems like the CATS are the the team !!!!

44. @42
    2:02 am October 3, 2012 Permalink

Gtfo #42

45. Randy Marsh
    1:49 pm October 3, 2012 Permalink

# 42 – I’m pretty sure all of these ladies went to UK. They don’t necessarily have to be promoting UK with a 3-goggle, but I’m sure they wrote the administrators at KSR, explained their love of UK athletics, and asked to have their pic put up. You or your friends could do the same.