A few notes on this day of Will Lentz celebration…
– At this point, it seems like an absolute lock that Brandon Knight will end up in Utah with the Jazz selecting him with the third overall pick in the draft. Knight has essentially thrown a perfect game from the UK Combine to the Chicago camp to his individual workout and interviews, but if there is a knock on him, it’s that he’s refused to play against anyone head-to-head. That appears to have changed. Brian Smith of the Salt Lake Tribune said on his Twitter account that Knight is willing to work out against Kyrie Irving because he wants to prove that he’s the best. Whether or not he gets that opportunity from a team like Cleveland remaisn to be seen, but it showcases one of the big parts of the point guard that teams love – his confidence.
– The man that Knight called “a great player and a funny guy”, Enes Kanter continues to be, perhaps, the draft’s most interesting piece in terms of projection. Draft Express jumped on board with Chad Ford this morning and projected the Turkish phenom to slip to the Wizards at six, but reports later circulated that the Cavs have invited Kanter back for a second workout. The growing feeling over the past few days has been that Cleveland now prefers Jonas Valancius or even Jan Vesely in that spot, but they appear to be giving Enes a second run. Or, in a bit of trickery, they might be setting themselves up for a draft day trade.
– Speaking of Enes, SLAM Magazine has a nice little interview with Calipari about Kanter and some other things posted on their site today. The interview actually took place back in March, which is important to remember when you’re reading it, but does have some interesting analysis from Cal regarding his thoughts on his would-be star and his thoughts on some of the NCAA rules.
– They don’t want to play Kentucky, but they’re crazy enough to try to compete for recruits. Rodney Purvis already talked about being very involved with Duke and it appears the Blue Devils have now entered the Perry Ellis sweepstakes. If I’m correct, I could have sworn at one time there was a report that said Duke would not play Kansas because they did not really recruit that area of the country. That could be wrong. But maybe this opens the door for a Blue Devil – Jayhawk series outside of the series they’ve signed up for with UK. Yeah, I don’t care either.
– Guess what? Tobias Harris throws like a girl. That’s it.
– The Herald-Leader put together a Kentucky Bucket List of 50 things you must do in Kentucky before you die. Oddly, “Read the Herald-Leader” was not on there.
– Take a deep breath. Sit down. Dave Chappelle is coming back to television. The show will be all new content (that’s good) and will run through a paid subscription service. Get excited.
If you missed Kentucky Sports Radio this morning, check out the podcast below. Matt and Ryan Lemond talked about the Duke scheduling situation, the 500 wins debate and destroying property in the name of UK. Give it a listen.