UK Fans of the Day Want a Few Mid-Day Thoughts

Couple of quick thoughts before we tape the first “Walk-Ons Podcast” from the past few weeks:

— For me, there is one question left to determine about this team. Do the basketball Cats still want to be playing basketball? The best teams at the end of the season want to go out on a high note and play with a desperation, knowing they are getting the last few chances to shine. Other teams just want the season to end and do almost everything possible to hurry up that result. That is why you so often see such mailed-in performances by the worst teams in the SEC Tournament and the first round of the NIT. Does this team still want to play? Do they want to take the humiliation in Knoxville, turn it around and make something positive? We won’t know for sure until Gameday on Saturday, but we will get a pretty good idea when Vanderbilt comes to town Wednesday.

— Speaking of Gameday, the national spotlight will be squarely on the Kentucky team this weekend, at a time that we probably want it least. With all of the Gameday hoopla in town, everyone will be asking what is wrong with the Cats and can they fix it. Just as a game in Knoxville wasn’t the best recipe for what ailed the Cats right after the Noel injury, this isn’t really the ideal week for Gameday to make its way here. But we can only hope the Cats can rally and make a statement. The season isn’t over. There is still plenty of time to make it into the Tournament. The question will be how bad do we want it.

— As I said a couple of days after the injury, don’t sleep on the idea that Nerlens Noel could be back for a second season. John Calipari says a lot will depend on how his rehab goes and I think that is correct. But considering that he will miss Summer League and most of Training Camp, thus finding his way to the D-League most likely when healthy, an argument exists that returning is the right choice. I trust Calipari and Noel to make the right decision for him, but those in the national media that think it is ludicrous that he could return, don’t understand how real that possibility could end up being.

— 45 years ago today, Bobby Kennedy began his “poverty tour” across America by heading into the middle of Eastern Kentucky. That tour is still remembered by many in the area and was at the height of his Presidential campaign. The picture below is from the Hazard Herald of that day and standing next to Bobby Kennedy is a man in a hat asking him a question. That man is none other than a then Hazard reporter, Oscar Combs. Very cool:

— Because of the beginning of Spring Break, the UK students didn’t use up all their allocation of tickets for the Florida game. Those tickets are now on sale at Ticketmaster. I know its Spring Break but the idea that tickets would be available for UK-Florida shocks me. But that is the continued changing world of live sporting events, which in the HD TV age, become less and less attractive except for the biggest moments.

My hope is the SEC Tournament will still be much fun. Nashville is a great place and I assume it will still be overrun with Blue. If not, I know I and the KSR crew will have fun and make it worthwhile. Until then, Burger King’s Twitter got hacked and here is what the hacker posted. He could have done much better:

More later tonight…and don’t forget, the Bachelor Diary is tomorrow morning. I know some of you are very excited!

Article written by Matt Jones

44 Comments for UK Fans of the Day Want a Few Mid-Day Thoughts

1. hawkeyetim
    4:32 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

Bachelor Diary Tomorrow!!!!! YES!!!!

2. Triple-D
    4:37 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

Looks like “Mcdonalds” twitter got hacked, not Burger King.

3. C-A-T-SCATSCATSCATS
    4:39 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

Hey I know them! Great pic of a great family!

4. Sammydog
    4:39 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

The Cats look like they would rather have root canals than play a game.

5. Biglaw Dawgin'
    4:41 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

I think it’s a VERY slimy possibility that Noel will come back. He’s currently projected as a Top 5 pick. As such, he’s guaranteed $3M+ a year for 3 years. Although more common now, there’s no guarantee that a player will fully recover from an ACL injury. Though I hope I’m wrong, Noel would be crazy not to go to the NBA. (Although if we knew for sure that he’d be 100% healthy in 12 months, coming back would be in his best interest).

6. Matt Jones
    4:59 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

It says @BurgerKing

7. oldschool
    4:59 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

The decline in attention at UK is representative of a modern fanbase. I grew up watching Kentucky, listening to them on the radio in the 70s and 80s and there was nothing that could keep most true fans from flocking to Rupp Arena if they had a chance for tickets. The love affair between fan and team had a lot to do with the fact that we got to know these kids over a period of 3-4 years and there was a connection with the team.

Often – we didn’t get to see them on TV – most games weren’t televised – but we learned about them through Cawood Ledford and Ralph Hacker.

Today’s fan doesn’t have the same connection. Everything is based on tv or twitter or internet and of late, there’s only been an 8-month relationship between most players and the fans. That kind of here-today/gone-tomorrow environment does not breed loyalty.

Kentucky fans have turned on this team unlike anything I’ve every seen. Sure – there have been slumps and weak years. Joe B. Hall was famous for his January slump and there have been a few lean years sprinkled in over the past 40 some years. But in the past, UK fans stuck by the players and the team. Before the Unforgettables in 92 – there probably wasn’t a more beloved team than the 89-90 probation-laden team that starred many of the same Unforgettables as freshmen. If memory serves me right – they finished around .500 for the season – but there was excitement at every game – radios were tuned in for the action and there wasn’t a lot of badmouthing the players.

8. Mike
    5:02 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

My thought for the day….I would love someone to put a mic in the faces of Poythress, Goodwin, and Harrow and ask them if they are happy with the way they have been playing this year.

9. JustSayin
    5:04 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

We usually onle see oldschool right after a loss but he is expanding to several days after a loss too. It didn’t take me long to peruse his post and find an attack on Calipari or the fans or the UK program. Did the 13k fans that have tickets to GameDay turn on the program too oldschool? We know that number will by higher by Saturday. Are the UK fans going to the SEC tourney in droves turning on UK too? Does Butler have a board?

10. Jerry C
    5:06 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

I am glad they remember Bobby walking around. Too bad nothing has changed.

11. mudcreekmark
    5:15 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

7)Things have changed in more ways than one. We didn’t have the internet to come to to bitch and moan when things weren’t going right. The fans feelings haven’t changed just the easier ways for us to express them has. I guarantee that by the end of Joe B. Halls tenure he would have been catching hell. I was about to quit watching games until they got rid of him. No one has done less with more than he did. Everyone in eastern Ky that I would speak to had the same opinion but we just talked among ourselves. Now we can share those feelings with people from all over the world.

12. Unknown C
    5:16 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

The problem this team has had all year is at the PG position. Once Harrow left the team, Archie should have been the PG.

13. mudcreekmark
    5:17 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

I am starting to have the same feelings about Cal. All of Eastern KY wants him to leave.

14. BBN
    5:20 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

Wow mudcreekmark just wow. After one so so year you want Cal to leave!

15. james
    5:21 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

13. I can assure you that the non-alumni, non-donating population of eastern KY matters a WHOLE lot in the grand scheme of things. You hill-jacks keep whining about the coach who just took us to an elite 8, final 4, and national championship. Keep cementing that reputation as a hotbed of intelligence.

16. mudcreekmark
    5:21 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

7) The team you are speaking of I think finished 14-14 and it was Pitinos first year. The fans loved that team because most of those kids were from Kentucky and we were playing an exciting brand of basketball compared to the 7 pass rule of Sutton. Those kids played their hearts out. I think one of the biggest reason that this team is catching so much shit is because they play with no heart and the fact that they are supposed to be 4 first round draft picks on our team that is going to make millions of dollars next year and the fans have a feeling that they care more about that than winning games for ole UofK.

17. mudcreekmark
    5:22 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

13) Fake me. You just wish you were me.

18. Laker Cat 18
    5:23 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

13. Must be from Pikeville. No offense to the normal folk in that area.

19. mudcreekmark
    5:24 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

14 ,15) 13 is not me. It is some troll. Cal is the best coach in basketball,college or pro.

20. BBN
    5:26 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

Mudcreekmark, how do you know so much about the players on this years team? Who said there are 4 first round draft picks? For you to say the do not care about winning is wrong. I can not undrerstand why you want Cal to leave.

21. mudcreekmark
    5:26 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

Anyone who has been on here any, knows me from my post and that whoever wrote under my name,13, is not me. Don’t call out eastern Ky because some UofL made an idiotic statement.

22. oldschool
    5:29 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

16 – There is a difference in the mindset of players from then til now. There was a time when college basketball was the destination – not a pitstop for the pros. 95 percent of college basketball players will never sniff the NBA – which means something beyond dollar signs are motivating them – possibly the love of the game.

I’m not opposed to UK going after some high-profile recruits. UK would never have bounced back as quickly as they did without getting Jamal Mashburn. But the best teams are comprised not only of superstars – but guys who know their roles, accept their roles and play 100 percent every minute of every game.

By himself, Mashburn couldn’t carry Kentucky. But you also had kids like Pelphrey and Feldhous willing to dive on the floor and do whatever was necessary to bring Kentucky back to prominence. They truly played for that name on the front of the jersey – and win or lose – Kentucky fans LOVED that team.

I know I come across as some old cranky guy (I’m not that old really) but I really wish most of the young fans who frequent this post could have lived and seen how that team played – and what motivated that team to play.

23. mudcreekmark
    5:29 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

20) You must not be able to read. I am not 13. That is some troll. I’ll say it one more time, I am not the one that wrote the post which is number 13. I didn’t say we have 4 players worthy or being drafted, the mock draft boards still have all four of them going in the top end of the first round.

24. oldschool
    5:45 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

That bottom photo of the ‘poverty tour’ serves as a reminder that government solutions rarely work. We’ve spent literally billions and billions of dollars to reduce poverty – and yet there are more people on food stamps today than ever before. Big Government’s solution of throwing more money at a problem never works – except at election time when those promising handouts are able to get the votes out.

25. Jerry C
    5:51 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

Come on 24. You mean the Kennedys really don’t know anything about poor people?

26. oldschool
    5:53 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

25 – I know – it’s a shocking revelation. It’s like suggesting Obama knows something about how the economy works when he’s never met a payroll, punched a clock or run a business.

27. oldschool
    6:32 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

I love to hear myself type. It makes my Alzheimers easier to handle. the gentle yet soothing sounds of my fingers tapping the keys, not understanding what I type because my brain is a dried out, tiny walnut. I like to pretend I know about basketball, politics, wine, bubble gum and flowers…yes I’m gay but don’t judge. I love butt sex. Do you? Man I love to type. Hear that? Typing. Hopefully someone pulls the plug soon.

28. upeoplercrazy
    6:46 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

3,2,4,1

29. JustSayin
    7:05 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

Wow oldschool, with your feelings on UK bball and politics and all the takers out there you must be a real hoot to be around. Keep standin on the side of the road holding those Tea Party signs.

30. Just Sayin is Right
    7:09 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

That toolbag only comes here because he loves the hate. Although maybe the best non-UK fan troll in the history of the blog, he has a lot of people fooled. He knows a little about the Cats from 50 years ago…obviously his prime…but the hate and anger has taken over his feeble mind.

31. Ryan
    7:36 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

I like how I put up one post criticizing Matt Jones and it gets deleted. For a lawyer trying to control ones speech isnt cool Matt. And we should be closer with me being a Duke fan and you graduating from Duke.

32. NN
    7:40 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

6 to 8 months before he can come back, so he misses all the camps, plus training camps and it will take several weeks if not months to even get back in playing shape which you could be talking about December before he is back in playing shape!

33. Rich
    7:41 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

Hey dems, how’s that “war on poverty” working out? Nothing but a scheme to buy votes. All you working people get to bed now so you can pay high taxes to end poverty! Go Obama go!

34. WhoAmI
    7:51 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

“I will not raise taxes on the middle class!”

35. oldschool for Prez!
    7:58 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

Is it too late? Being 80 in 2016 is not, or should not be, a disqualifier!

36. oldschool
    8:47 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

You’re overestimating my age. I’m just wise beyond my years.

37. Truebluefan4ever
    9:19 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

Hey! That’s me & my sisters Christmas morning!! Who submitted this picture?

38. UK96
    9:29 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

When does Game Day start on Saturday at Rupp…I have seen 9 am and 10 am…anyone know?

39. eastKYlosers
    9:40 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

the “poverty tour” pic of eastern ky is “priceless” as it fairly depicts what a hell-hole that part of the state truly is…..& its inhabitants are the stooooopidist humanoids ever known!!

40. Letcher County
    10:07 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

Robert F Kennedy was not running for President when he visited Neon, Whitesburg and Prestonsburg. He declared for President 2 weeks later. Damn shame he was never President.

41. Refrty
    10:41 pm February 18, 2013 Permalink

#39…F*%k you

42. Rich's
    12:02 am February 19, 2013 Permalink

Sure #40, what a shame he didn’t have the opportunity to wipe out poverty. The Kennedy clan, yeah that’s what their all about, wiping out poverty. Maybe John Edwards could have helped too. The only way to wipe out poverty is encourage business to grow, therefore expand. Keep government small in order to do the least amount of damage.

43. Tampa Satchel
    9:05 am February 19, 2013 Permalink

@42-Actually, education is the first step in ending poverty. Right now college graduates have an unemployment rate of less than 4% and those with no HS diploma are at 14%, HS diploma/no college 9.1%, some college/no degree or Assoc. degree 7.3%.

So cutting funding to education makes affordable education less attainable and without qualified applicants the highest paying jobs remain unfilled. There are currently about 3 million unfilled jobs in the US and this is due mainly to lack of qualified applicants and also geographical reasons. The latter is exacerbated by a new lack of mobility for our workforce due to the housing crisis. People are underwater on their mortgages, so they cannot afford to sell their homes and move to where better jobs are. This lack of mobility mucks up the system, as people are staying in their jobs longer rather than moving up and creating opportunity for those below them.

So, to your point, “the only way to wipe out poverty is encourage business to grow,” is way to simplistic to to fully encapsulate a very complicated problem. I own my own business, but I also know that I am part of a system, not existing in a vacuum, and all the various parts (education, infrastructure, healthcare, business climate, etc.) need to be working together to best provide the climate for my success.

I’d love to pay lower taxes, but I would prefer to have a more highly educated populace. It makes me wonder about our priorities. In Britain and Scandinavia higher education is free to all. The most expensive university in Japan, The University of Tokyo, costs about the same as UK, but with a degree more like an ivy league.

Businesses need our support, but so does every other spoke on the wheel.

44. 502Cat