UK Fans of the Day Want a Few Late Night Thoughts

This has been a full day of news around UK land, so a couple of thoughts:

The commitments of Marcus McWilson and Alex Montgomery show that Mark Stoops is a recruiter like no other. I have always assumed, and said, that it was impossible to recruit out of state at a high level of Kentucky. My reasons for that were complicated, but they basically boiled down to a belief that I wasn’t sure what UK could sell that could get them in with the highly talented out of staters. Mark Stoops is showing me I was wrong. Not only is he getting involved with top players, he is closing the deal at a pretty phenomenal rate. Today’s pickup of Alex Montgomery came after the WR had offers from Louisville, Ole Miss and West Virginia, and helped the staff bring a Wide Receiver who can contribute right away into the fold. A number of Florida writers say he is vastly underrated and one said he may be Mark Stoops’ biggest pickup of the class. I only hold off on that accolade because of McWilson, who becomes only the second Top 250 Player signed by Kentucky since 2008. The 4 star Safety picked going to Kentucky over Nebraska, the thought of which would have been unfathomable even a couple of years ago. He has a good chance of starting right away and his talent was described to me by one person as “eye-opening.” In just a few weeks, Mark Stoops has changed what I defined as possible with UK football. And with what I expect still to come in the next 10 days, the possibilities will only increase.

— When an opposing player is generally unlikeable, I go one of two ways on them. I either take up for them because they have some personality trait that I find funny (like for instance Ron Slay) or I end up despising them as much as everyone else (like for instance Joakim Noah). As of now, I actually am leaning towards slightly liking Marshall Henderson. I know he is a lunatic and chances are, if I actually knew the guy, I would find him to be the absolute worst. But as of now, I don’t know him and his antics entertain me. Look, I know people who take pictures like this are generally goobers:

But in a world where everyone tends to act the same and most people are way too cool for school, why not have a complete crazy man who gets you excited about the sport? With that said, I hope we pound him tomorrow and give him nothing to pop his jersey about when the buzzer sounds.

Florida is the best team in the country. Anyone who tells you anything else is simply a homer for their team. As of now, they are ahead of everyone else, regardless of where they are ranked.

— I do like that John Calipari wants UK to use Marshall Henderson to get themselves motivated. Calipari notes that with all the talking Henderson does, he hopes Kentucky talks back and lets that confidence come to their side of the floor. I totally agree with that sentiment. In two of the three games in which UK has played (the other being Auburn), Kentucky has gone into play a good team that people though they couldn’t defeat and has given Duke and Louisville all they could handle. The same thing can be true here as a lightning rod tries to take over the game and make it about him. If that doesn’t motivate this Kentucky group, maybe nothing will. But I have a sneaking suspicion that the first time Marshall Henderson yells at Archie Goodwin, we may see a spark in Archie that we have missed for the last few weeks.

Before I go, I will leave you with a picture from Sports Illustrated in 1978. Here is what UK’s cheerleaders looked like the year of my birth. I love the mustache:

Article written by Matt Jones

60 Comments for UK Fans of the Day Want a Few Late Night Thoughts

1. Rock Bottom
    10:02 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

The game tomorrow is not nearly as important as The Rock getting the title after being out of wrestling for 10 years.

2. Dc4UK
    10:11 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

Who cares what other uk fans think about the Ole Miss player. Fact is Uk fans would love him if he played well enough to get minutes on uks team and backed it up with his mouth.

3. GrumpyOldDude
    10:15 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

I am about 98% sure that cheerleader with the mustache is an old friend named Dan Kendig. He is currently the gymnastics coach at the Univ of Nebraska.

4. JKUK
    10:16 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

@2 I disagree. I’ll admit, I love having guys like DeAndre Liggins on the team b/c they’re psycho killers on the court. But they’ve always been (for the most part) nice, normal guys off it. I get the impression this guy Henderson is psycho all the time.

5. tom5673
    10:19 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

i’m on a personal crusade to get mr. barnhart to honor those great teams that finished ranked a.p. #1 in the regular season. they are 1949, ’51, ’52, ’54, ’66, ’70, ’78, ’03 and ’12. the 1954 team went 25-0, beat eventual ncaa tournament champ la salle by double digits but elected not to participate due to an obscure b.s. rule making graduate students ineligible for post-season play. the big 3 (hagan, ramsey and tsioropoulos) were all grad students. the 1970 team was one of our best ever with issel and pratt, et al. scoring 100+ points routinely. check some of those scores…it’s amazing. and, the 2003 team went undefeated in the conference, won the conference tournament, but ultimately got bounced by a triple-double from d-wade and bogans’ sprained ankle.

6. tom5673
    10:22 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

those teams that finished a.p. #1 deserve to be honored at rupp arena. the a.p. #1 ranking represents 4 months of getting it done. at home, on the road, through injuries, learning curves, etc. some of you 40 and over probably remember the original banners in rupp. i vividly remember the ’54 and ’70 banners.
    it’s time we bring them back. what say you, bbn?

7. UKBlue
    10:23 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

The problem with UK football has always been the coach running the team.

I hope someone punches or kicks Marshall Henderson in his little baby balls. Dude, grow up, are you really that stupid !

8. GrumpyOldDude
    10:26 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

@6 – Personally speaking, I think that’s what teams like Syracuse do when they have no real success to speak of….not for hanging a banner for those.

9. EC
    10:26 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

Jason Hatcher, Come on down!

10. Dc4UK
    10:27 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

#4 Yeah you get the impression, but you dont know what he is like off the court. He did pose with fellow Ole Miss students he could be cool. All I meant was if he played hard and scored some points for our team, uk fans would like him, thats it. Of course most people will judge him by his pictures though. Its called exposure and he’s getting it.

11. fureel
    10:28 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

Was the “UK blue” closer to navy-blue in the 70’s than it is today?

12. tom5673
    10:30 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

i respect what you’re saying #8…but, i’m not on the stump to hang banners for sweet sixteen or elite eight appearances. nor am i saying that we should hang sec championship banners in rupp. i’m talking about a.p. #1. it’s very, very significant and tough to accomplish.

13. GrumpyOldDude
    10:30 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

11 – Without a doubt…..much darker navy blue.

14. jeffg
    10:31 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

he brings excitement and a difference to a game that does get boring..its refreshing to see someone want to cause some controversy ala rex ryan. love him or hate him you will want to watch this game..

15. GrumpyOldDude
    10:31 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

12 – Maybe a nice plaque in Memorial Coliseum….

16. Ole gal
    10:33 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

#3 you are right, that’s, Dan. He is coaching women gymnastics at univ of Nebraska. He if I’m not mistaken was one of the first tumblers. He would go the entire length of the court doing backflips. That was pretty cool then. UK CHEER is a great tradition.

17. tom5673
    10:34 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

i feel that our program is at such an elite level that hanging banners for runner-up and final four finishes is a bit cheap. no disrespect to those great teams that made it that far, but 8 national championship banners lined up would look pretty damn clean.

18. Bringith
    10:35 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

I love the Scripture verse of Philippians 4:13 in the background of Henderson’s picture. Solid

19. GrumpyOldDude
    10:35 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

16 – I knew Dan from the Covington, Ky YMCA and Camp Ernst back in the day….great guy!

20. scottydee
    10:35 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

Bbk is reporting that Hearns has committed to Cats. Stoops is making a believer out of me.

21. Kyle
    10:37 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

Yea I’m going to say Michigan is the better team. They have played better competition than Florida and has done real well. The only inconsistent game they have had was one first half against Ohio State and still came to with in 3 to win that game. Florida as usual lets teams back in the game like an Arizona

22. tom5673
    10:38 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

grumpy old dude…i’m from covington, ky.

23. EC
    10:39 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

If Ole Miss only beat Auburn by two, they can’t be that good.

This Henderson kid looks like a white, wannabe gangsta. He almost makes me respect Vanilla Ice. Almost. I hope Archie finds his inner DeAndre Liggins. I never knew how much I missed Liggins until this year. He would have been all over this white boy like a lion on a zebra

24. Terri Kendig
    10:40 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

Hello Matt Jones! My name is Terri Kendig and the 1978 Sports Illustrated picture of the cheerleader you posted happens to be my brother-in-law Dan Kendig, who is now the head coach of the women’s gymnastic team at the University of Nebraska. If you google him you will see that he looks nothing like he did in this picture. My son saw this picture and immediately thought it was my husband (who still has hair) was also a cheerleader for U.K. Thanks for posting, we will definitely give Dan a call so he can see it for hisself. 🙂

25. Kyle
    10:45 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

Oh and Michigan beat the hell out of KState which Florida lost to

26. kes
    10:47 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

22. im from covington as well, holmes grad here!

27. kes
    10:49 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

24, hey terri, what high school did dan and your hubby go to?

28. tom5673
    10:54 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

parents graduated from holmes. i went to dixie heights.

29. BlueswadeI
    10:59 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

#11….
    I agree…the blue used to be much darker….not sure when/why it was changed to the current royal blue. I kind of liked the older navy blue better.

30. Stickman
    11:07 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

I prefer that blue to the new UK blue.

31. EC
    11:13 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

29) Navy blue is so 70’s. I like today’s shade much better.

32. Bob Kendig
    11:16 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

Hello Grumpy Old Dude & Ole Gal! I’m Dan Kendig’s brother, Bob and I’m curious if I know either one of you. When Grumpy Old Man mentioned YMCA & Camp Ernst, it struck my curiousty. Hopeing you both will respond back. 🙂

33. WinstonBennett Love Machine
    11:17 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

Kes, Tom5673, GrumpyOldDude,yeah for Covington YMCA (loved the track above the court) and Camp Ernst! T-Lynn was just starting to coach the cheerleaders – now my nephew is a cheerleader representing NKY!

34. Terri Kendig
    11:19 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

27-Kes Dan went to Covington Catholic and Bob went to Covington Latin.

35. Ridge Runner
    11:19 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

Northern Ky time it appears.

My wife went to Holmes (lived in Latonia). I went to Grant County HS in Dry Ridge.

36. uk2k
    11:20 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

Im from Covington too- scott high go eagles

37. David Justice
    11:21 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

Cov Latin….Rise Up!

38. jjjjj
    11:21 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

Grant co ha sucks to be you theyre garbage at everything always

39. Ridge Runner
    11:22 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

32..Thats good stuff, Bob. Wow, what one night post can do when you aren’t expecting it.

40. jjjjj
    11:22 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

David justice is a wife beater

41. Ridge Runner
    11:23 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

38, can’t argue too much there. 1979 was it for basketball with Grant County. We are a small school and it shows. But hey, it’s my alma matter & a part of me.

42. WinstonBennett Love Machine
    11:29 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

Sisters went to CovLat, son is going to CovCath – a spirit that will never die…I’m a Simon Kenton Pioneer – first NKY team to win state title – Troy McKinley UK player for Joe B! Ridge Runner, Terri, GrumpyOldDude, Tom5673, and Kes – NKY night!

43. Kevin long
    11:37 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

@ # 32 bobby kendig- I just saw that pic of Dan and was 100% sure it was him.
    Remember you guys from YMCA camp Ernst!
    That’s a great pic of Dan !! Bummed to hear he doesn’t sport the ‘stache any longer- love it!
    Camp Clap!
    GO CATS! Beat the Rebs !
    Kevin Long

44. UKJAY
    11:41 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

Hey Bob Kendig, My two brothers and I took Gymnastics from you and Dan at the Covington YMCA. We loved you guys!

45. Ashley Schafer
    11:45 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

6, 2, 1, 3, 7, 5, 4….

46. Blue Hairs Rule
    11:52 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

I belive that old Sports Illustrated photo does not show the true color. The 1978 Championship highlights with the original twin towers Robey and Phillips look much like today imho, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user7UhAjg4

47. What's going on?
    4:08 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

16,74,82,5,19,33….

48. Still the best
    5:36 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

henderson reminds me of adam sandler in one of his many stupid movies

49. Charlie
    5:43 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

What about Terry Barney …. Cheerleaders

50. GrumpyOldDude
    6:50 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

32 – Hey Bobby! All of the Richardson kids remember Marcia, you and Danny VERY well! Hope you are all doing OK today!!

51. Catlogic15
    7:41 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

The girl cheerleaders today are half the size of these in ’78.

52. Ouch
    8:02 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

High maintenance crowd!!

53. bung
    8:12 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

Henderson shouldn’t play…he gets too excited in a game…

54. Anita
    9:16 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

BOBBY!!!!! Anita here. What a surprise Matt put up last night, bet he never thought he would start a Camp Ernst, Cov. Y reunion. The Kendig family reaches far and wide. We’re still in Louisville. Hope Danny saw this pict, tell your family hello.

55. Aaron Craft's Rosacea
    9:16 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

Florida is not the best team in the country.

56. BLUEISBLOOD
    9:18 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

What is it with all the Florida love on here lately? IMO, Michigan is the best team in the country this year.

57. JBoca
    9:22 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

Is that Ron Jeremy picking up that cheerleader?

58. CatsFan4Life
    11:16 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

Ok guys, this is KILLING me! The picture of the girls up top looks SO FAMILIAR! You can tell that it’s an Instagram picture, but I can’t decide if I saw this on some celebrity’s Instagram feed, or maybe one of these girls is one of my Facebook friends and it popped up on my NewsFeed recently. Anyone know where this pic came from? It’s annoying the F&*$ outta me.

59. 502Cat
    12:56 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

4,6,5,7,2,3,1…

60. SeeToo
    2:24 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

In addition to being a cheerleader, Dan Kendig was also an RA for my hall in Kerwan I when it was the “athletic dorm” for football and baseball. Great guy who knew when to enforce the rules and when to turn his head.