UK Fans from Shanghai Want Afternoon Notes and Podcast

A group of scholars and administrators from Shanghai University were on campus yesterday and I’m told they specifically asked for Tuesday’s afternoon notes and podcast. Well, not really. But I’m saying they did anyway.

去猫。

— I’ll lead off with the Michael Porter saga that seems to have everyone in Big Blue Nation shocked, disgusted, and disappointed. More details have surfaced and it turns out there is only one victim, a girl he met at a church function in 2009. The two engaged in consensual sex acts when she was 14 and 15. The most disturbing part of the story — well, other than the fact she was 14 — is Porter was a group leader at the church function where they met, someone there to be a role model and positive influence in the lives of the church’s youth.

Porter entered a plea of not guilty this afternoon. He was being held on a $22,000 bond and was released to a third party. The court ordered him to wear an ankle monitor and to not to leave the state. He is due back in court on June 4 for a preliminary hearing.

— In recruiting news that’s not really news, Amile Jefferson will announce his decision at 4:00 p.m. But you knew that already because we’ve written it 58 times since last week.

— When Adam Zagoria doesn’t know, no one knows.

— According to Ryan Gosling Jeff Borzello, Montrezl Harrell still hasn’t been granted his release from Virginia Tech. Harrell has asked for a release from his LOI and Virginia Tech is expected to give it to him; it just hasn’t happened yet.

— And from the rap game, Fabolous regrets not being a Kentucky Cat in his latest rap ballad, “My Team Winning”:

Unnnnnn!!!!!

— Listen to today’s podcast, especially if you know someone who has a couch Matt and Ryan can sleep on. You’ll know what I’m talking about after you hear the show.

Article written by Drew Franklin

24 Comments for UK Fans from Shanghai Want Afternoon Notes and Podcast

1. wellsir
    2:18 pm May 15, 2012 Permalink

2nd

2. I think not...
    2:25 pm May 15, 2012 Permalink

no, I’m 2nd,stop trying to steal my thunder!

3. Bayoucat
    2:33 pm May 15, 2012 Permalink

On the Michael Porter charges: If you’re a sex offender nowadays, with the websites and newspaper ads alerting the public, you might as well be dead. Extremely limited to where you can live and work, especially with a juvenile victim. Worst decision a person can make. Better off killing a person.

4. Big Blue 66
    2:45 pm May 15, 2012 Permalink

okay KSR, is there no buzz on Amile?

5. average 30-50 yr old white guy
    2:47 pm May 15, 2012 Permalink

Should’ve been a kentucky cat in the game, thats how wild I am // They look like thugs but aint really thuggin’, call them Pac Hologram Unnnnnn!!!!!

OK, What the hell did he say?

6. tltaworl
    2:54 pm May 15, 2012 Permalink

Lets see if Porter is guilty before we start condeming him. I remember several years ago when a fan favorite was thought to be a rapist. Turns out it wasn’t true.

7. Don
    2:55 pm May 15, 2012 Permalink

I can’t believe there is no buzz surrounding this choice of schools for Amile…Nothing leaked = good news for UK imho.

8. nolablue
    3:06 pm May 15, 2012 Permalink

Just so you’re clear on this Drew? A 14 year old girl cannot have “consensual sex”. She is not at the
    legal age of consent and therefore, the phrase you used has no meaning. I don’t care what she
    tells you. If she’s 14, you got no business thinkin’ about it. “You” meaning “anyone”. Poor
    choice of words in that sentence, brother; if you copied the notion from another news
    outlet, poor choice of words on their part as well. A 14 year old simply cannot
    have consensual sex. The End.

9. B-man
    3:10 pm May 15, 2012 Permalink

Go ahead and rip me for this, but the Porter incident doesn’t sound as bad now as it originally did. I’m going to guess that the many of folks posting here had pre-marital (and consensual sex) as minors. The issue is, he was a camp counselor serving as a mentor to these kids. When you think about it though, should you really place a 15 yr old boy as a “mentor” to a group of teenage kids (many of which are girls very close to his age)? He was a 15-year old boy who gave into his sexual urges (and a girl who was willing to do the same)…should we be surprised?

10. WINNIN9
    3:14 pm May 15, 2012 Permalink

Porter never did have the best ball control.

11. Dateline NBC
    3:23 pm May 15, 2012 Permalink

9, Please turn yourself in to “Catch A Predator” ASAP. If you don’t think it’s sick for an ADULT to have relations with a 14-year old, then you too are a sick puppy.

12. minton
    3:31 pm May 15, 2012 Permalink

Hey #4, B-man, he was 22, not 15. He’s 25 now and it happened 3 years ago. She was 14 the first time and 15 the second.

13. Correction
    3:33 pm May 15, 2012 Permalink

8 – I do not think Drew is speaking in legal terms, and you are right about legally not being able to have consensual sex. However, in non-legal terms, a person of any age can consent to having sex, which means the sex was consensual. Unfortunately there are lots of 14 year old girls having consensual sex, and even having babies. Typically it is with other teenagers. The problem with this story is that it was with an adult who should have known better. If Porter is guilty, he should be punished by the courts.

14. F-man
    3:34 pm May 15, 2012 Permalink

9 what are you talking about? He was not 15.

15. lexslamman
    3:40 pm May 15, 2012 Permalink

If there’s grass on the field, play ball.

16. Chris Hansen
    3:47 pm May 15, 2012 Permalink

Hey B-man…come on in and have a seat, I need to talk to you….

17. Duke sucks
    3:59 pm May 15, 2012 Permalink

I don’t know if Porter is guilty of these charges, but I do know he is guilty of being the worst player to ever have KENTUCKY across his chest. Turns out Uk and Porter both would have been better if Tubby had never brought him here.

18. Mike
    4:15 pm May 15, 2012 Permalink

I didn’t even know Porter was still in Kentucky. Thought he went back to California.

19. El hombre juan
    4:43 pm May 15, 2012 Permalink

Hmm, what rhymes with “thuggin?” oh I know, tupac hologram….unnnn!!!!!!

20. rob
    5:42 pm May 15, 2012 Permalink

Come couch surf in DC!

21. once was enough
    5:48 pm May 15, 2012 Permalink

whats bad is that he didnt just make the mistake once…he even had the balls and the lack of control of them to go back for seconds. SMH

22. Wild Turkey 101
    6:29 pm May 15, 2012 Permalink

Micheal Porter was a starter becuase he was granting Billy G favors.

23. B-man
    7:44 pm May 15, 2012 Permalink

11 & 16…obviously by my post you can see that I misunderstood the story. I thought Porter was 15 and the girl was 14 when this happened. #12, thanks for clarifying. Needless to say, a 22 yr old with a 14 year old just ain’t right.

24. Will S.
    8:16 am May 16, 2012 Permalink

Funny how UK is known for the “eyeballs” gesture, but lack perimeter threats for next year. “Julius Mays” we saw him play for NC State for 2 years and he couldn’t even get playing time when they were HORRIBLE. Have fun with him…