UK Fan of the Day Wants the Paul Finebaum/Matt Jones Podcast

Today I went on the Paul Finebaum Show to talk about UK vs UL to his vast regional and satellite radio audience. I was very excited about the invite, as Finebaum’s radio model is the blueprint that I have attempted to utilize for Kentucky Sports Radio and his success has been quite impressive. We talked about the UK game, Pitino vs Calipari and the rivalry in general and the conversation was great. Then, Finebaum played the quote of Clay Travis, the Tennessee radio host and blogger, calling Calipari “dirty” and labeling him a cheater. In the interview, Travis said the reason he was a cheater was, among other things, because Rick Pitino and Bobby Knight don’t like him. Well I didn’t take too kindly to this comment and spent a couple of minutes explaining my…well spirited disagreement with his comments. It is worth a listen here on the eve of the biggest game in our state’s history:

Matt Jones on the Paul Finebaum Show

Article written by Matt Jones

85 Comments for UK Fan of the Day Wants the Paul Finebaum/Matt Jones Podcast

1. first
    8:57 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

first!

2. nc cat
    8:57 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Let me get this straight….Travis called Cal “dirty” as compared to two old geezers who don’t like him? One who choked players, cursed in interviews, bullied everyone…and threw chairs in a hissy fit….and the other who nailed a woman on a restuarant table while his adjutant held watch, then ponied up for her abortion…..huh? Maybe there’s a credibility problem here…

3. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    8:58 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

oh heyyyyyyyy girl

4. Asdfg
    9:01 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Why isn’t State Street Girl the Fan of the Day?

5. califcatfan
    9:02 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Matt, some of your best work! Nice job.

6. Women Everywhere
    9:04 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Great picture. Socks Up!!

7. randall
    9:06 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

great job matt

8. WKYCAT
    9:07 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Get em Matt

9. Boom baby
    9:07 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Goml- Get on Matt’s Level!! Good work Matt. Loved the rant on Knight and Pitino! Let’s get 8.

10. Shelbyjoe
    9:08 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Matt, that was awesome, i really enjoyed it. I can see why ryan likes having u on KSR so much.

11. Oldmanwithdirtydiaper
    9:09 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

That was excellent. Wish all haters would listen to this! You nailed it!

12. Vickie D
    9:10 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Homerun! Grand Slam! Knocked it out of the ballpark. Had me cheering like Braveheart.

13. Sheray thomas's vertical
    9:11 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Great job matt jones!!! I wish you could say that samething on espn.

14. catfaninohio
    9:11 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Matt hit it out of the park in this interview!

15. freda johnson
    9:13 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

you go Matt

16. Olde Blew Hare
    9:16 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Matt Jones, Matt Jones-12 beat me to it, You hit it out of the park !! Maybe Clay Travis will crawl back in his Orange Pumpkin.

17. 49 chevy
    9:17 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Jones owns Travis. Boom goes the dynamite.

18. UKmoxie
    9:18 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

As a Cats fan in Alabama, Matt you killed on Faggaum!

19. Oborolovesksr
    9:18 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Well done Mr Jones.

20. Mike
    9:18 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Lady Kats looked like a #2 seed for a little over a half and then went on a cold streak before getting blown out by Gino’s gals…Adia Mathis a big, big disappointment with her shooting.

21. Kwl1977
    9:19 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Matt- You killed it. Great job.

22. roger
    9:19 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Matt, You just represented UK’s fans as well as this year’s team has represented the University!

23. Blue Headed Cat Fan
    9:19 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Great job, Matt. I live in Nashville and have to find another stations instead of listening to his slanderous rants. He likes to make fun of everyone else, yet he is an ass. In addition, he takes about cheaters, yet hired Bruce Pearl and slobbers all over him every time he is on their show. Kinda like the kettle calling the pot black. If every KY caller would quit calling in (because he is too prejudiced to be open minded), quit listening, write management, and boycott all of their advertisers and let them know, then he would know we have real power. He is a petulant little nobody who thinks he is a somebody because he can make fun of others. The guy on Fox Sports early morning said all UK fans were uneducated (he lives in KY), multiplied like rodents and were obnoxious. I turned him off and will never listen again. But, folks, if we call in and argue we give them more power.

24. Ld
    9:19 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Well done Matt

25. SagaciousMind
    9:20 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

When will Clay shut up? In 2010 at the SEC tourney on your live podcast he said over and over how dirty Cal was when just 6mths later his coached was hammered for being a cheater. SHUT THE HELL UP CLAY TRAVIS!!! Ppl like him are gonna be pissed watchin all these banners go up while Cal is here and stayin up!

26. Walter Sobchak
    9:20 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

tipton just did an interview on espn2. that’s stupid.

27. Legal ice
    9:21 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Matt – great job on the show. Way to stay above the noise and still make your points! Go Kats!

28. bluefan
    9:21 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Awesome job, Matt! I, too, would love to see you be able to do that on ESPN.
    Go CATS!!!

29. Big Grey
    9:21 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Great job Matt awesome interview

30. wage war against
    9:23 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

louisville cardinals wikipedia page.

31. Wally
    9:23 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

whats so ironic is that Bruce Pearl is on that same station college sports nation or whatever… CLASSIC!

32. catdawg
    9:24 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

AWESOME! This was a perfect ending to the HATERS!

33. jp
    9:27 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

You certainly knocked that one out of the park….must have been a walk off cuz paul ended the show with your comments about the 15 second wonder and the chair slinger. Well done

34. Rae
    9:28 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Isn’t calling someone dirty and a cheater without any sound proof grounds for slander?

35. Rett
    9:29 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Check out the Pitino description on the wikipedia page for Louisville basketball

36. HartcoCat
    9:30 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Great Job!! I’ve said it before and will say it again,,, You are “Our generations Caywood!

37. Gimel
    9:30 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Awesome Matt!!!

38. YourConscience
    9:33 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

37 – You all admit it. You know he cheated…Some top players ask for money, that is a known fact. He still cheats. Just admit it and we can move on. Matt Jones is a hypocrite

39. KJ
    9:36 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Cal doesn’t care what others say about him. He knows who he is and the kind of person he wants to be and that’s all that matters to him (as it should be for the rest of us). Calling him a cheater based on heresay and rumors is for the feeble minded. I love it when someone tells me he’s a cheater and I turn around and ask them to explain what has he done. Speechless.

40. Tresgoggles
    9:36 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

My old house. Place was a dump. Go Cats!

41. PeterPrinciple
    9:42 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Nicely done Matt Jones!

42. Bulldawg
    9:43 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Nice job Matt, you ought to really consider having your own talk show everyday, say from 10 to 12? I think you could handle a 2hr. shows. Maybe with some Tony V. commercials about getting your balls clipped thrown in there. You could even get Drew to help with the technical stuff.

Oh, and it would be hilarious if you could have tech issues all the time like dropping lines over and over, say…line 4 and line 5?

just a few suggestions. }:-)
    Seriously though, you drilled it. True a great representative of BBN!!!

43. Ray
    9:48 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

That is exactly what I want a national audience to hear, THE TRUTH. Best interview ever. “Can’t end it any better than that”

44. Crush little red
    9:48 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Just heard Tipturd on ESPN2 during halftime tell the viewers that “this is almost the worst case scenario…playing UL under any circumstances drives people crazy…so much anxiety and now to be in final four with a chance to go to the championship game is almost impossible to bear”
    Doesn’t speak for me!

45. UKPT
    9:49 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Clay Travis is a total tool. He is determined to be the Howard Stern of sports radio by constantly causing controversy. You can’t have a logical conversation with him because he just shouts down anyone who disagrees with him. One time he made so much fun of an older lady who called in that her son called in and threatened Clay. Completely classless

46. History
    10:03 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

This site is now censoring comments that contain Matt Jones’ previous remarks concerning John Calipari before he came to UK. Way to be on the cutting edge BBN

47. DaddyGBig4
    10:08 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Awesome interview Matt….Handled very well and I thought you represented your argument for Coach Calipari very well. Thanks and Keep up the Great Work.

48. [email protected]
    10:11 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

# 36… please stop. @ Matt Jones… I haven’t been your biggest fan sometimes (your play by play on liveblog before it happens on tv ruins it for me as well as your liberal political posts sometimes) but today you hit a home run sir. I can give credit where credit is due. Im a Cats fan that attends Alabama so I get to hear Finebaum daily. Since he has gone national they have talked more about basketball this time of year instead of Alabama Auburn 365. I think it would boost your ratings and rep if you made more appearances on Finebaum and after today I would like to hear more of you on there. I heard the Clay Travis accusations the day it happened and kept checking KSR wondering why no one had posted about it yet. KSR fans need to check out the Finebaum podcast from yesterday to hear C.M. Newton talk about UK, Cal and his two cents about Clay Travis. It was great. If you liked Matts analysis and rant you would definitely like all of the things C.M. had to say about Cal and the Cats. He gave great insight that most (nationally) don’t ever hear about Cal. He had a great comeback for those who call Cal a cheater that I hadn’t heard before. Im paraphrasing but he basically said “I always thought that if you bought players then they owned you and you couldn’t tell them anything or discipline them. Cal wouldn’t be able to discipline those guys and get them to play how he wants them to if he had to pay them to come there.” Anyways great job today Matt. Glad you finally got to hear Clay’s absurd accusations and your rant was epic. Go Cats! Shut Chris whateverhisnameis up and cut down the nets! #8pril!

49. Another NC wildcat
    10:13 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Well said! Clay Travis is the rear end of a donkey.. Hey can you call my boss and put him in his place too?! 😉

50. BBN
    10:14 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Kaboom!! Awesome job Matt! You make Kentucky fans and Kentuckians as a whole very proud.

51. [email protected]
    10:16 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

#46… what did he say? I kind of remember something but its been a while. Just curious.

52. UKPT
    10:19 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

@ClayTravisBGID is his twitter handle. Blow it up BBN

53. Ray
    10:21 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Best comment ever: “Can you get John Short to call my girlfriend and ask her to lose 20 biggins?”

54. History
    10:21 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

#51 I post it but it keeps getting deleted…surprised? I’m not.

55. History
    10:22 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

#51 here you go
    April 6th, 2008 at 12:57 am
    “I am not going to make a post on the subject. But travel in recruiting circles and you won’t find anyone who thinks that program is clean. You are free to have any feeling about Calipari u wish but I am not a fan of his tactics on building a program.”

56. Blue Headed Cat Fan
    10:24 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

He would love nothing more than for us to blow up his twitter. It would think he is important.

57. Ld
    10:30 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Can we get another Louisville hate day? I love the if Louisville had a Facebook post

58. huck
    10:32 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

enjoyed that, good job

59. Linda Taylor
    10:33 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

@History–enough already. Matt has said time and again that he has changed his mind about Cal. He looked into Cal’s history more thoroughly and no longer believes those things he wrote in ’08. Why are you doing what you are doing? Are you a Louisville troll?

60. Jo
    10:39 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Great interview with Finebaum….As far as Clay Thomas’s rant, I think its sad that people form their opinions based on ignorance..if you spread it enough it becomes the truth…an example is Adolph Rupp unjustly called a racist…

61. Uk Cat Fan
    10:39 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Way to go Matt!

62. History
    10:40 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

59 Did he read the reports Cal wasn’t implicated in? is that how he changed his mind? So if the NCAA gives UK infractions but doesn’t directly name Cal, will you feel ok about that? Didn’t think so.

63. texasmug
    10:40 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Great job, Matt!

64. Linda Taylor
    10:45 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

@History-I’m not in the least worried about it. We are running a clean program. In Sandy Bell we trust. Mitch Barnhart would not allow any shenanigans happen on his watch. This isn’t Larry Ivy’s athletics program anymore. We WILL hang banners and we will NOT have anything taken away from us.

65. @jrodwhalen
    10:46 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Holdin it down for BBN!

66. 3cats
    10:49 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

What happen to Bruce Pearl?? Is UT dirty hell yes. Stay home

67. theSkinny81
    11:12 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

68 – Porcinis… that, we can all agree, happened….

68. theSkinny81
    11:12 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

sheeeit…. #67

69. Linda Taylor
    11:30 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

67-Are people no longer allowed to change their mind? You would have a hard time living with my husband, he changes his mind all the time.

70. KyGal
    11:57 pm March 27, 2012 Permalink

Way to go Matt!! And as far as what Matt once thought about Coach Cal…people can and do change their minds all the time….I know I have had times where I have thought a certain way about someone and then later on found that I formed the wrong opinion about that person..it’s allowed. And as for Coach Cal…I am proud that we have him as head coach of the Wildcats…I think he is a great person and a amazing coach. There will always be some haters out there that will choose to talk crap about Coach Cal….I choose not to pay any attention to them. Go Big Blue!!

71. Matt speaks for me...
    12:16 am March 28, 2012 Permalink

I heard Finebaums show yesterday and wanted to call in an echo the exact sentiment that Matt conveyed today. Thanks Matt for speaking for me

72. The Hoff
    12:49 am March 28, 2012 Permalink

According to JoAnn, Slick Rick is the cheater.

73. ROLL TIDE
    1:17 am March 28, 2012 Permalink

Finebaum knows ALL about the “Wildcat Mafia” …. (inside joke.) No Joke though, Trevor’s gonna get it done one day. Damn. What could have been….. I’m ready for 8pril. GO CATS!

74. h8'ers gonna h8
    1:36 am March 28, 2012 Permalink

best part on the newton podcast from the day before, he had no idea who clay travis was…

75. Ridge Runner
    2:07 am March 28, 2012 Permalink

Simply outstanding, Matt…..outstanding!

76. randy savage
    7:55 am March 28, 2012 Permalink

great job matt, it really sounded like you knew what you were talking about

77. theTruth
    8:03 am March 28, 2012 Permalink

Really, that is Matt at his best. That’s why having a lawyer as a radio host works. Props man.

78. REAL BLY
    8:18 am March 28, 2012 Permalink

Clay Travis = Skip Bayless Bush Leaguer!!!!!

79. Ricky Penetrator
    8:22 am March 28, 2012 Permalink

take it off!

80. cristoforouk
    8:59 am March 28, 2012 Permalink

One of the easiest counters to the Bob Knight/Rick Pitino argument is that Tom Crean (who is one of Cal’s best friends) and Tom Izzo are two of the coaches who speak most glowingly about Calipari, and both are considered two of the more straight laced and by the book type coaches by the national media. They sure as hell hold more character credibility than Knight or Pitino.

81. struggler
    9:47 am March 28, 2012 Permalink

Clay Travis IS the very definition of douchery! There is not a more arrogant, outspoken, pretentious windbag with absoultely no reason to be on the air here in Nashville. His arguments are primarily based on rumors and his own fantasies of how he wished things were, and he expresses his views with all of the emotional bias of a middle school girl who just got dumped by the guy “who looks just like Justin Beiber”… lol. You should have heard him when Peyton Manning went to Denver instead of Tennessee. Clay’s style screams “I’m relevant, I’m intelligent, Respect me” when all people do is laugh at how pathetic he is. Many here have said it well… the same dude that calls Cal dirty is sniffing Bruce Pearl’s butt every week on the radio… so there you go.

82. LP
    11:13 am March 28, 2012 Permalink

Matt, usually you irritate me… But I must admit you’re a very good spokesperson for Kentucky basketball. This interview was nothing short of fantastic.

83. Keyts