UK Fan of the Day Wants Afternoon Notes and Podcast

Today’s UK Fan of the Day is Francis “Maw” Bowles, a 92-year old Kentucky fan from Madisonville, who used to let me brick jumper after jumper in her driveway. (I blame it on the sight lines and unforgiving rim.) As you can see in the photo, Maw invented swagger and she recently tried on some UK jewelry, including the 2012 National Championship ring. She also requested today’s afternoon notes and podcast…

— We’re only six days away from the season opener and you have to like how relaxed Joker and his team are going into the game. Joker said today that he likes being the underdog against Louisville; he called it a great opportunity. Starting quarterback Max Smith agrees. Smith is using it as an opportunity to prove everyone wrong and show why he’s the starting quarterback at Kentucky. Attitude is everything and Joker is really impressed by his team’s attitude, especially those who have emerged as leaders. Scroll down to read more from today’s press conference.

— The official depth chart was released this morning and there aren’t a whole lot of surprises, if any. Tyler Brause is listed ahead of Malcom McDuffen at weakside lineback but Joker said that could change by Sunday. Other than that, it’s not so different from what we’ve been hearing since the spring.

Bryce McNeal is no longer a member of the UofL football team. The wide receiver transferred to Louisville after three years at Clemson and would’ve been eligible to play this season. He was a controversial pickup for the Cards after he was unable to get into UConn, his first choice. The wide receiving corps is still deep so the loss isn’t all that huge for Charlie Strong.

— In his press conference today, Charlie Strong admitted that Louisville’s special teams could be a weakness. “We’ve been missing a lot of field goals in practice.” he said. “Even in the punting game we need to find some consistency.” I hate that for ya.

#LouisvilleHateDay is almost here!

Send me your favorite Louisville photos at [email protected] or @DrewFranklinKSR on Twitter.

— Is it even narrowing a list if a recruit cuts it to 10 schools? That’s what Julius Randle did today and Kentucky made the “cut.” Randle is also considering Texas, Kansas, Baylor, UNC, Duke, Florida, NC State, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

— On today’s podcast, Matt and I look ahead to the Governor’s Cup and KSR is introduced to the Moron Boys

Article written by Drew Franklin

65 Comments for UK Fan of the Day Wants Afternoon Notes and Podcast

1. snoopaloop
    3:13 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

No acknowledgement of the rampant backne? I am disspointed, Mr. Franklin.

2. snoopaloop
    3:14 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

And I am disappointed in myself for misspelling disappointed.

3. JayCee
    3:26 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Number one is correct. The backne is the real draw in that picture.

Maw Bowles got that tool&die money.

4. :-(
    3:28 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

hey, that Jimmy V Foundation link at the top left sidebar is D-E-A-D

5. SexnNursinHomes
    3:29 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Maw, hell yeah, bet she speaks jive too.

that dude’s back zits are effin craters.

6. kroc
    3:30 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

i disagree. that Tramp Stamp is the focal point. it represents the general ‘clueless’ nature of the typical UL fan.

7. Rockfield, KY
    3:30 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

That looks like the baddest old lady in the world

8. Policy
    3:30 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

I think the stamp – acne combo a is a very attractive look.

9. snoopaloop
    3:35 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

What the hell does that even say? Is there an Old English interpreter in the building?

10. Cal's Fist
    3:35 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Has anyone else noticed that it looks like Cal has just punched Laettner in the front page graphic of ESPN’s College BBall section?

11. JayCee
    3:36 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

If you connect the backne dots, the resulting constellation reads, “Featuring: PitBull”

12. #1UKfan
    3:37 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

This “Louisville hate day” is stupid, anyone who participates in this day of benightedness is a total moron. Matt Jones just made this up because he’s jealous of the city of Louisville. I mean, I would be too if I were from a hillbilly town like Middlesboro lol. I’m a HUGE UK fan and I am from Louisville. I’ve lived in Lexington now for over a year and I have to say, it’s nothing compared to Louisville. The ONLY thing Lexington has going for it is UK, that’s it. When the only thing your city has going for it is it’s university, it doesn’t say much for you city. I would prefer to call this day “Kentucky ignorance day” because that’s what it is. Everyone not from Louisville hating on Louisville with ridiculous stereotypes and purely ignorant statements. Now, I’m sure some of you will say “But it not about hating Louisville, it’s about hating UofL”. Bulls**t. Most of you use it as an excuse to spew your garbage about a city which I’m sure is way better than what ever bumf**k town you’re from. After all, it says “LOUISIVLLE” hate day, not UofL hate day. So screw all of you who participate in this, you’re all stupid lol.

13. snoopaloop
    3:42 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

12.) I don’t see it as a stereotype. More like pointing out the obvious.

14. Is This Not Newsworthy?
    3:43 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

15. whinr
    3:43 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

#12- zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

16. Musehobo
    3:46 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

4) The link isn’t quite dead. It actually gets you to the Jimmy V website.

12) Zero…zero is the number of people you fooled into actually thinking you’re a UK fan. That’s a big paragraph for such an unconvincing argument.

17. JBR
    3:47 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

How would anyone know if Joker is relaxed or not? I mean, I have never seen him change emotion from his monotone boredom since he took over.

18. Drew Franklin
    3:54 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

12. — It’s Louisville, the university. Not Louisville, the city. You new here?

19. hillbilly
    3:55 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

#12 cities suck… i prefer my hometown to be without fear of being mugged or shot. Louisville should not even be a part of Kentucky. The only thing Kentucky about Louisville is the derby. I hope I never have to live there.

20. bigbluejon
    3:55 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Hi my name is Jon and I’m a UK fan who lives in Louisville…”Hi Jon”. I plan on fully participating in Louisville Hate Day, and I’m not ashamed to say it. Also, #12, UK fan or not you’re an ass. That is all.

21. DUH
    3:57 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

“like how relaxed Joker and his team are going into the game. Joker said today that he likes being the underdog against Louisville; he called it a great opportunity.”

Like being relaxed? Like being an underdog? No wonder we suck. We are engulfed in a culture of losing. Joker should not be relaxed right now. He should be ready to kick some butt. He should be pissed that we are the underdog. This Joker is nothing but a dang joke.

22. luvmesumcats
    3:58 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

She never let me brick jumper. How was it?

23. UKfansNKY
    3:58 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

#12 Dude Looserville is a pit, nasty, dirty and I/we could keep going so don’t go there about Lex. enough said I won’t bore everyone like you did!!! GO CATS!!!

24. DavenderCatTheSequel
    4:01 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Wide receiving “core?” Really?

25. Drew Franklin
    4:07 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

24. — I swear I’ll start proofreading one day.

26. Louisville Troll Academy
    4:10 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

#12 … let’s grade your trolling effort:
    1) Make the name look like a UK fan – check.
    2) Claim to in fact be a UK fan – check (extra credit for ‘HUGE’)
    3) Say something bad about Matt Jones – check.
    4) Say something bad about Calipari – uh oh, missed that one.
    5) Say something rediculous and good about Louisville – Missed this one too. Wow, you’re dumber than the average Card fan

In all seriousness, you MUST realize that most of the ‘hate’ produced on Louisville hate day will in fact be from UK fans that live in Louisville… right? Simple math dictates it. The single largest city, with the metropolitan area accounting for as much as the rest of the state combined, that is mostly UK fans despite having its biggest rival within city limits. Yeah, you want to find the origin of most of the Louisville Hate on Louisville Hate Day? Look to Louisville metro. I’d hate it too if I lived there.

27. #1UKfan
    4:20 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

lol, you’re right 16. I’m not a UK fan at all, I wasn’t born a UK fan. I never had to grow up in Louisville taking sh*t from all the UofL fans and giving it right back my whole life. #23, you’re a dumbass. Lexington is boring as hell. Oh btw, there are dirty parts of lexington just like there are dirty parts of Louisville. You clearly haven’t been to Louisville, and if you have you probably didn’t spend much time there did you? You’re all stupid so just shut up until you know wtf you’re talking about. That is all lol.

28. BlueD
    4:24 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

#12-Francis…you know what to do

29. RYNO
    4:29 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

27) If you’re the #1 fan, I’d hate to see #2. Just when I thought you couldn’t possibly get any more whiney and annoying, you go and outdo yourself.

30. #1UKfan
    4:29 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

26. That is a poor attempt at trying to prove how smart you are. To say that the majority of people participating in Louisville hate day are in fact from Louisville is retarded. That would be to assume that the people of Louisville have no sense of pride about them. duh. And I just love how you try to back it up with math when you didn’t even use math! Way to go! Oh yeah, I AM a UK fan, I just don’t enjoy watching people bash my city b*tch.

31. #1UKfan
    4:30 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

29, you’re gay

32. RYNO
    4:32 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

31) Go cry to your mommy- everyone here’s tired of reading your garbage posts.

33. #1UKfan
    4:34 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

That’s a gay name, RYNO!!! I’m cool!!

34. Rae
    4:35 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

27. Not everyone likes cities. Not everyone needs clubs and concerts to be entertained. Some people like space and fresh air and being able to see the stars. Not everyone needs a ton of different things to do to be happy. Not liking a particular city doesn’t make someone unintelligent.

And when they refer to Louisville in this context, it means the university and its fans. Like on ESPN, they refer to UK as Kentucky much of the time. They refer to UL as Louisville, University of Alabama as Alabama and so on. Notice in the pictures they aren’t showcasing Louisville city highlights but people in Louisville gear looking stupid.

35. RYNO
    4:37 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

33) I am gay. Good job. Now go somewhere else and pollute their MB. I hear Howy Lindsey’s Belly has an opening. I think you’d be perfect.

36. You Failed Again
    4:37 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

30 no one believes you are a UK fan no matter how many times you say it. And you keep telling people to shut up, yet you keep responding when they don’t, so clearly you are the fool here. You sound like a 12 year old with your whining and stupidity. Keep commenting so we can keep laughing at you, it’s entertaining.

37. #1UKfan
    4:40 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Ok you guys busted me. I’m a Loserville fan. What gave it away? My little bro complex, pathetic attempt at name calling, or just my all-out ignorance?

38. Joey
    4:41 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

I’m a UK fan that lives in Louisville, and I have to agree that this Louisville hate day stuff is ridiculously stupid. You guys are encouraging thousands of members of BBN to stereotype an entire city and trying to make it out to seem like everyone in this city is ghetto trash. You’re convincing the people of this state who follow your work and have never actually been to this city, that everyone is exactly the way you guys put them out to be on this website. You’re assisting in their hate for an entire city by judging a very small percentage of fans and it’s laughable how many people actually participate in such buffoonery. No wonder do many UofL fans use the same tired insults about the rest of this state, it’s because you guys have used the same tired ghetto “flat bill” and “line beard” insults for the past four years.

39. #1UKfan
    4:42 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

OK 36, you’re just a loser. You can’t even come close to my intellect, so laugh away.

40. #1UKfanisaTURD
    4:42 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

You’re a troll. Please do us a favor in run around on I-64. Louisville is one of the worst cities in America. I’ve lived in a few other cities and currently reside in louisvile There is not one “nice part of Louisville, think about it, Highlands = run down, Downtown = run down, south end (your neck of the woods most likey) = run down. It’s all garbage. As are you sir. That is all lol = Sarcasm

41. How are we a conference
    4:44 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Cincy, UConn, Pitt, DUHville, Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple, USF. What? Trinity and St. X run the table in that PITIFUL conference. Complete and total garbage. All they will end up doing is sending a sacrifice to the Orange Bowl, where their little man nuggets get crushed. Especially now that WVU has paid millions to get out of AWFUL conference.

42. RYNO
    4:46 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

36) And there he goes throwing his superior intelligence up in our faces. I would think someone as highly developed intellectually as you are could manage to express his thoughts without the 13 yr old homophobic rhetoric, or feeling the need to tell others how smart you are.

43. Joey
    4:50 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

40, you just named three parts of an entire metro area…. Highlands, southend, and downtown. Elaborate on how the entire city is garbage…. I live in St. Matthews by the way…

44. UKBlue1!
    4:58 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

I am looking forward to “Hate” day. I live in louisville and have got to take crap all year long from the delusional fan base. DaVille fans think they are going to win by 3-4 touchdowns. Some have worked themselves up to actually believing they might go 12-0. It kind of reminds me of the Iraqi Spokesman saying the USA had not penetrated Bagdad, but you could see a Omar Bradley tank rolling in the background! They also believe you can wrap the 2013 NCAA trophy and send to Pitino.

45. Love the CITY of Louisville
    5:06 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

I’m a diehard UK fan that has lived in Louisville my whole life minus the years I spent getting my degree from UK in Lexington. I loved my time at UK and look forward to hating ul this week and Sunday in particular. But I will say this. Outside of UK, I thought Lexington was extremely boring. I couldn’t wait to move back to Louisville after I graduated. I am very proud to call Louisville home. On the other hand, my sister moved to Lexington to attend UK and never left. She loves the small town feel of Lexington and would never move back to Louisville. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder…

46. SorryJoey
    5:12 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

43. Sorry to inform you, but there are run down parts of St Matthews as well. Just because you got a new paint job on your POS car doesn’t mean the engine is new too. I don’t like hating on other “true” UK fans so please don’t poke the bear. Jefferson County is not Louisville, it is considered Louisville Metro. The East side, west side, and south side, are for the part run down and out dated.

47. mikejones
    5:17 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

The Guy in thenpic.is.Dalton cissell. Used to.play at u of l.and western but.got.kicked.off

48. RYNO
    5:20 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

47) CISSELL!! That’s what his tramp stamp says! Thanks MJ! That was killing me.

49. UK22
    5:24 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

12) serious question, outside of the derby (which in lexington we have keeneland which has “seasons”) what else can you do there that makes louisville such a better city?? I mean yeah you have more taller buildings?? (Which im sure you work at zero of them)

50. duh
    5:24 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

I lived in Louisville for 5 years and I never found a nice part of the city. Please someone tell me where the “nice parts of Louisville” are. I would love to see them. The only people who think Louisville is nice, HAVE NEVER LIVED IN A NICE CITY. These people need to travel and see the rest of the country and then they could see what a nice city looks like. If the coolest thing about Louisville is 4th Street Live, then they really have nothing to do in Louisville.

51. Aaron C Bunch
    5:24 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

You can be a proud resident of Louisville and still be the die hardest of Kentucky Wildcats for a number of reasons. UofL fans may have a majority in the Metro, but Kentucky is the Commonwealth’s team, and Cal gets that which I love about him. I grew up in Southern Indiana and have always been a UK fan. I’m 27 and I was just at the right age when they became so dominant in the 90’s, plus my Dad and Grandfather (both born and raised in Louisville) are die hard Cat fans. Kentucky is bigger than UofL, further reaching and means so much more to it’s fans. LouisvilleHate is hilarious. If you can’t differentiate between the inferred intentions for the University and NOT the city then you’re a moron and don’t understand basic logic or sarcasm. I EVEN ATTENDED UofL before joining the Army and I wore signed UK jerseys and all sorts of blue on campus and had decor on my car, etc. GO CATS.

52. Aaron C Bunch
    5:26 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

#50 is right, though. 4th Street Live the “jewel” of downtown nightlife is a joke and can be summed up into these three categories: 1)drunk annoying white dudes 2)THUGS 3)Panhandlers Enjoy! 🙂

53. tyrus
    5:27 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Hour 1 Matt you made me feel older but smarter than…

“Kentucky Afield” is a production of the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife. It is the longest continuously-running outdoor television show in the nation. Farmer was won 2 Emmys while hosting the show. That would make hima 5-Star recruit and someone else a 1-Star recruit.

54. UK22
    5:28 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

12) name one person who has moved to a city because they have a zoo or a baseball bat manufacturer/museum

55. Linda Taylor
    5:42 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

#1UKfan-You have to admit Louisville Hate Day does not refer to the city, but the school. Just because they choose to call it Louisville Hate Day instead of UL Hate Day doesn’t change that fact. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

56. Head Bussa
    6:04 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Hey 50 — You obviously never got around when you lived in this town. Louisville is a nice place with plenty of nice areas so I can name many places are gorgeous – Anchorage, Cherokee Park/Alta Vista area, Crescent Hill, St. Matthews, Middletown, Anchorage, Indian Hills, Norton Commons, Springhurst. Other parts of the city are cool as well as they are historic. It is downright silly to say that Louisville is a run-down and ugly city. Those who say there are no nice areas and the entire city is run down are clueless human beings because many parts of the city are new and fresh while other parts are beautiful and historic. Sure, there are some places that haven’t aged nicely, or haven’t been taken care of properly, but what city doesn’t have those areas? The city of Louisville is an outstanding city and a place I am proud to call home. I have lived in Lexington for school and have family that lives in Mt. Sterling. I would never make fun of those places as I think it is rather stupid to make fun of another’s hometown or place of residence. Lexington is a cool place in its own right and so are many of the small towns across the Commonwealth. The bottom line is this though: The city of Louisville is a GREAT CITY and it drives this state. There is no doubt about it. Tax dollars prove it.

57. Head Bussa
    6:08 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

55 — Linda, I can kind of understand his frustration. There is a lot of hate directed toward the PEOPLE in this city and the areas of the city. Being a Louisville resident and a HUGE UK fan, I kind of resent the UK fans who make fun of the city of Louisville and call it ghetto, crime-ridden, and dirty.

58. duh
    6:50 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Head Bussa, I have seen those areas and I am still waiting to hear where the nice areas are? I guess compared to Mt Sterling that might be nice but really I still consider Louisville an armpit of a city. There may be a city block here or there that is okay but the city as a whole is a disgrace. People need to realize that Louisville Hate Day is really directed towards the ignorant UofL fans, not the city in general. But since the topic came up about the city, I commented on it and I stand by my comments. Go visit places like Seattle, Austin, Albuquerque, Santa Monica, Oakland/San Francisco, Colorado Springs and then get back with me about Louisville.

59. LouisvilleisaDUMP
    7:35 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Head Bussa- those places are ok, but truth is that’s Louisville Metro, Jefferson County is not “Louisville” saying Middletown and Springhurst are Louisville, is like saying Varsailles and Georgetown are Lexington. The place is a dump.

60. HamnEggs
    7:45 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

I grew up in small KY town (pop. 3300) and have lived in both Lex and now Lville

Why am I not allowed to like living in a larger city?

61. Ken Tucker
    8:32 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Just listened to today’s show and Im a bit disappointed. How can you be from Kentucky and not know who Tim Farmer is? I take it your not the outdoorsy type Matt.

62. Big Joe
    8:51 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Tramp stamp says “Cissell” at one time he was a walk-on from North Bullitt. He is keepin it real bullitt county gangsta. That’s how they roll in hillview

63. Linda Taylor
    9:38 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Head Bussa-I tried to be somewhat restrained in my comment to #1UKfan even though I found his remarks about Lexington offensive. I am not a KY native but fell in love with Lexington from my first visit here. I won’t go into all the reasons why Lex is a great place to live, many magazines agree with me on that point. To each his own. I didn’t grow up with the UK-UL rivalry bitterness and used to root for UL when UK wasn’t playing them. I don’t anymore. What changed? My experience with UL fans. I’ve never met such rude people in my life. I have no opinion of the city of Louisville itself as I have never lived there. But, my husband and I have recently had occasion to go there much more than ever before because we had a very sick kitty that was hospitalized there off of Blankenbaker. One day after we had dropped the kitty off at the hospital and gone to the Cracker Barrel there before going back to the hospital, I was looking at the UK stuff there while my hubby paid the bill and another UK fan struck up a conversation with me. We were joking around and this UL fan butted right into our conversation and said “Our coach is better than yours,” I said “No way, Calipari is way better than Pitino,” then she said “Our football coach.” Not wanting to bring up FIU or Marshall, I just said “Time will tell,” and hoped she would just leave it alone after that, but no, she had to keep on, “Our coach is much better than yours.” So I had to say “Well, if he really is good you won’t be able to keep him.” She was getting more and more angry and said “He already is really good.” So I had to say “It’s a lot easier to win in the Big Least than the SEC.” That sent her over the edge and she had to say “I hate Kentucky fans.” She was asking for it though and she seemed to forget that she was the one that had interrupted our conversation. The man I had been talking with was laughing with me about her and her inability to come back with any kind of a decent argument. What in the world makes a UL fan think it’s ok to do what she did? I was a stranger who had no desire to spar with her. I had much more important things on my mind. Fortunately all the people at the veterinary hospital were very kind and caring.

64. duh
    1:52 am August 28, 2012 Permalink

Linda, unfortunately that is how UofL fans are. They are rude, loud and rarely have their facts straight. One of the worst is that troll “jill” that posts on here all the time. That may be who you saw at Cacker Barrel.

65. Frew Dranklin
    9:36 pm August 28, 2012 Permalink

#12 makes a few good points. I think Matt is jealous of the city of Louisville which influences his decision to live there, Matt is from Middlesboro, Lexington is nothing like Louisviile when you consider the fact flat bills, line beards and back acne rarely exist in Lex and Lousiville has a bigger UK fan base than Lexington. On that note, let us consider putting an end to Louisville hate day. I propose we replace it with more sophistication and have either “Loserville Hate Day” or “Louisville hate month.”. Why should such a wonderful city full of so many line beards and flat bills be limited to one day of hate? Also, #12, there is more in Lex than just UK like 8 basketball national championship trophies and banners, one Gatti Town and a Chuckie Cheese. Minor details you missed. So let’s all throw up our L’s in honor of back acne, Royal Crown and delusions of grandeur! Here, here LOSERVILLE!