UK Fan of the Day Wants Afternoon Notes

uk-fans-of-the-day-feb-9

A couple of notes to interrupt your Mitch Barnhart Day celebration…

– Speaking of Mitch, he spent some time at the press conference today talking about making improvements to Commonwealth Stadium.  There were no groundbreaking news tidbits and it was all very similar to his interview with Matt a few weeks ago, but it at least looks like UK might get some return on that extra investment they made in the AD this morning.  That’s a good thing, right?

– I am completely shocked by the number of people who criticized John Wall’s demeanor during his appearance at Rupp yesterday.  On this morning’s post, comments came pretty heavily that he appeared to disinterested and wasn’t excited enough.  What?  Are we honestly complaining about a guy flying cross-country for no reason other than to show respect for the program?  The kid came out and humbly waved to the crowd.  What do you want?  If he had come out and started dancing and popping his collar and dancing around and flexing his muscles, what would you have said then?  The truth is, he doesn’t owe anyone anything.  99% of college athletes leave campus and are gone.  UK has the luxury of having one of basketball’s great young stars wanting to still be a part of the tradition.  And we’re going to complain that he didn’t smile enough?

– On a more jovial John Wall note, the Wizards point guard returned to DC in time to not listen to the Sports Junkies and join his team for their shootaround.  When asked how he did it, Wall said, “I’m smooth.”  Had “smooth” been capitalized, we’d be subjected to a Ramel Bradley diss track.

– One of life’s great exhilarations continues to be the Billy Gillispie coaching rumors.  Facebook groups trying to lure him to Texas Tech and Wyoming have both popped up and SportsByBrooks, who brings it pretty hot and heavy on the Clyde beat, thinks that one (TTU) is a legitimate option, while the other (Wyoming) is a pipe dream.  Brooks also says he’s hearing that Clyde is interested in Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, NC State, Oklahoma and SMU.  No word on whethere any of them are interested in him.

– A day later, the details of the confrontation between Bruce Pearl and a few Kentucky fans still seem unclear.  The most repeated story involves Bruce lashing out at his players and then turning his ire toward a pair of Kentucky fans.  I don’t think that’s spicy enough though.  I want someone to make up a more creative version and we’ll roll with that.

– 465 more minutes until Justified returns.

In case you missed the show this morning, Matt and Zach talked Tennessee, fake callers and other stuff.  Check it out below.

Article written by Thomas Beisner

72 Comments for UK Fan of the Day Wants Afternoon Notes

1. perry christmas
    2:21 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

1st

2. Big Bear
    2:25 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

Wall handled himself great last night. Did you see the interview? He was professional.

3. Don
    2:25 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

I think people expected him to do the John Wall dance etc, but I didn’t. he’s an NBA player now, and he deserves grown ass man respect. The “Y” is special, and he did exactly what he needed to do to represent with a big ass grin on his face. He was early to talk to the team when he didn’t have to be, he was into the game interacting with Knight etc, and he was one of the last to leave after speaking with the team.

He’s all World in my book.

4. DunkMiser
    2:26 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

Wall was great last night! Loved seeing him do the ‘Y”. He is a young man whi is a class act.

For all those who want to see a smile, go follow Florida (see Joakim Noah.)

5. UKalltheWay
    2:29 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

I agree good Post….. and well said #3

6. holdmeclosertinydanson
    2:29 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

Now that you mention it, has anyone seen the smiling capabilities of the new recruits? Hardly a smirk from that bunch. They all don’t want to come here! Panic! Ahhhh!

7. bmt22033
    2:35 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

“Subdued” is the word that comes to mind when I saw the video of John Wall coming out to do the Y. But the video of him doing the locker room interview was a little strange. He just looked out of it…at least at the beginning of video. It must be that NBA baller lifestyle wearing him out. 😉

8. ihatetenn
    2:37 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

Agreed. to have a 19yr old kid making millions still have the heart
    to come back and pay a visit to his school that he was at for less
    then a year is awesome. get Cousins back for the Mississippi St
    game that would be classic!

9. Ben
    2:37 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

John Was Great!!! Enough said.

10. David
    2:40 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

BP: Guys you have to have more talent, Scotty stop smiling I will slap that Kid-N-Play box off you head if you don’t get out there and take over this game.

Fans: Hey coach, why didn’t you get Pat to coach for you while you were gone? Oh, we know why. She thinks your a prick too.

BP: F%*% You. I just spent the day with your mom ask her how my prick taste.

Fans: Take your man tits and go home!!

BP: Okay guys now you are getting personal…..(tears) I made a mistake….I know I have forgotten to exercise and this is the result, but I apologized to my team and now all i want to do is coach. I have paid the price and it has resulted in me having to use match.com. I can’t even use my own picture. This is what i have resorted to.
    Security can you please have those guys removed they have hurt my feelings….

11. nybrasky
    2:42 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

John Wall was great and represented himself and UK very nicely. He said he misses Kentucky on national TV with all kinds of recruits watching. Those who criticize need to get over themselves.

Both Beisner & #3 both make great points.

12. StratCat
    2:43 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

Wall always looks like that. He just has a neutral look about him. People accuse me of the same thing all the time.

13. UKChillFan
    2:46 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

#12 You beat me to it. He looked the same way after winning games. That’s just his demeanor.

14. Patriot
    2:47 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

If I’m not mistaking, the UK fans behind the UT bench last night are from my hometown, one is a well known doctor.

15. Dubs
    2:47 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

she has nice lips.

16. ThankfulCat
    2:47 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

My interaction with Coach Pearl existed of him:

Winking at my wife seated behind the bench

My wife shooting him a bird and asking him if Alimony’s was running a haircut special.

Me shooting him a bird and asking him if he had plans for a new arena at his next coaching stop Puget Sound State.

Him shooting me a bird and calling me an inbred

Me reminding him that we owned him.

Him shooting me another bird.

Those are the facts.

17. Emerson Biggins
    2:47 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

Wall could have smiled when he went out to do the “Y”, thats all I’m saying.

18. Emerson Biggins
    2:49 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

12, your accused of being John Wall all the time? J/K

19. Big Blue Wagon
    2:58 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

Bruce Pearl was upset at the foul language being directed at him. Not the taunting in and of itself. People should really be more understanding. All he did was lie to the NCAA. We don’t really like the NCAA anyway, so really we should be applauding him for lying to them. Just f’n with ya.

20. Bob Loblaw
    2:58 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

I agree, Wall looked like he always did. He’s really laid back and cool.

21. TrinityPills
    3:02 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

Where is Cal recruiting today? Is he back in Huntsville for Trevor Lacey’s senior night?

22. Polsonisthebest!
    3:03 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

18) You. are. retarded! John Wall was showing respect for the team and the players. If he had walked out there and did the John Wall dance then he would’ve been “stealing the show” from the other players and he isn’t like that. I think he was trying to please everyone by being the Y but didn’t want to take any attention from the players now. I hate fans like you that try to find something negative in EVERYTHING…you need to quit acting like Skip Bayless geez

23. SexnNursinHomes
    3:03 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

That chick looks like she is really into that picture sign. I’m black. From the waist down.

24. bigblueautos
    3:04 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

I was sittn behind the UT bench and several (not just 2) fans were chantn n yelln at Pearl throughout the game. Chants of “LIAR” “CHEATER” and “BARBEQUE” and “YOUR NOT THE COACH BRUCE” were the main ones. I heard ABSOLUTELY NO PROFANITY in any of the shouts toward Pearl. Pearl then called for security, which came out and talked to 2 fans sittn on the first row. Nothing was unusual about the fans behavior and they have a right (especially for how much we pay to sit in those seats) to heckle the other team/coach. I lost alot of respect for Pearl when I saw him request security against fans that were heckling him. Usually a Coach is the first one to tell his players not to listen to fans and to stay focused on the game, apparently Bruce could not do that. I’m glad Cal handles opposing fans better, and ignores them just as every other coach in America does/should. But hey, when the opposing Coach is worried bout every nut in the peanut gallery behind him, the CATS r probably winning!!! On a side note, there seems to be some separation amongst the UT coaching staff as to who should be coaching, Bruce or his 8 game fill in assistant. (whose body language when Bruce was coaching was very poor, with lots of shaking of his head as n disagreement with how Pearl was coaching)

25. TrinityPills
    3:05 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

Whoops. Wrong calendar, Butler doesn’t play tonight. Wonder who he is checking out?

26. SexnNursinHomes
    3:05 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

Anybody that complains about Wall is an idiot. bigger idiot than me.

27. Bob
    3:06 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

John Wall flew cross country to be at the game? Dang, middle America is seriously out of touch. It’s barely more than an hour flight!!!! I’d bet anything he had a driver take him to the airport, pick him up in Lexington and drive him around. I am willing to bet his trip to Lexington was less exhausting than his many nights at Love nightclub in SE DC.

Has it come to the point where we are just thankful he came back and said less than enthusiastically that he missed UK? Did you expect him to say otherwise when put on the spot? Really?

Billy Clyde was brought to UK to coach the team yet everyone wanted him to be an ambassador of the program (a la Cal now). Billy did what he was supposed to do (though poorly). Wall did what he was supposed to do too, though also poorly. I really hope his grueling trip to Lexington doesn’t cause him to perform poorly against the mighty Bucks tonight…

Like I’ve said before, let’s see what PPat does when he comes back. Same for Boogie.

28. Bubba
    3:07 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

19, You’re right, Bruce Pearl should be considered a hero!

But seriously though, if he goes away Tennessee will be much less fun to beat up on.

29. 7 and Counting!!!
    3:07 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

I love how imposter fans go on blogs and sports websites and pretend to be UK fans making outrageous statements and then sports writers take these so called fans statements and pose them like they were made by actual UK fans. I mean really fellas. Like any UK fan is going to bash Wall. Use some common sense!!

30. BPsycho
    3:11 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

#15 And neck, and cheeks, and forehead, and hair and chin… and black nails are hot!

31. Bob
    3:13 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

#22 – Why are you guys so dense? Not a single person has mentioned him doing the John Wall dance, the dougie, the running man, the MC Hammer, nothing. The only thing anyone has said he could have done differently is… SMILE. That’s all! Instead of looking aloof, disinterested, hard, etc… he could have frickin’ smiled. He could have pretended to be involved in the festivities. He could have seemed to appreciate the standing ovation he received from 24k rabid fans. If that’s too much to ask/expect, then we live in a sad, sad world.

If one more person says anything other than smile, I am going to write you all off as illiterate idiots.

32. DavenderCatTheSequel
    3:13 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

Liggins is so f’in money & he don’t know even know it.

33. SexnNursinHomes
    3:14 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

30- Those DSL’s tho- girl’s lips so powerful that she could give a hickey to a hickey.

34. BigBlueFan31
    3:14 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

Anyone that complains about Wall coming back, and doing what he did, needs to get their head checked! Who cares if he smiled, laughed, danced or cried! How much energy would you have if you likely went through a morning workout with your NBA team, jumped on a jet to get here in time to speak to the team, and then went to the game. I know, I worked all day and then drove 2 hours, went to dinner and then to the game. That was a full day! I wasn’t smiling until the game was over.
    Be glad he is here at all. As said before, he owes us nothing!! But he can be the best “face” of this program for years to come.

True fans love John Wall…..

(Don’t forget he reads KSR daily!!)

35. hoss cat
    3:16 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

THOMAS BEISNER, YOU ARE AN IDIOT!!!

If Wall didn’t want to be there then he shouldn’t have came. He looked like he hated every second he was there. You should keep your mouth shut.

36. Lex07
    3:20 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

27) Hey Bob- give it up. You are wrong. And boring.

37. Scared to be a fan
    3:22 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

Bob…let me help you out. He practiced all day, drove (rather he drove or not) to the private airport in DC (no telling how much traffic he sat in), 1.5 hour flight in a private jet (may be luxury but they are very small planes and can be scary), landed in lex, drove to Rupp, then watched the game, knowing that everything he just did (traffic, flight, driving, waiting) he had to do all over again in just 2 hours. And in case you didnt know this, he did not have ot do any of this. he could have went home, and sat around and watched sportscenter all night.

I give it up to John for coming back when UK (and the team) really needed him too!

Thanks John!

38. ebell55
    3:22 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

22 well said, he has been very supportive of this team and has often said let them develop their own personality don’t hold them to last years teams standard! This Bob fellow seems to be very jealous of John Wall, and his clubing! The kid is a 20 year old Millioniare and I think it burns ole Bob’s tush! Hell Mashburn is one of the most beloved and successful former Cats there is but until he started calling games for ESPN last year he hadn’t been to very many games since he left, and he owns half of Lex! Pay this Bob joker no never mind! He obviously has a bone to pick with John Wall since he secretely covets his Life! Jealous hater! Nothing to see here move along!

39. knightynight
    3:22 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

Bob – whatcha bobbin’ for besides pitino’s nob?

40. tosh's v neck
    3:23 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

35 – end yourself

he came to the game, did the Y & didnt have to do any of it. you’re literally complaining about his demeanor… just think about that

41. andy
    3:23 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

Wtf is up with some posters on here demanding john wall should have smiled. If anyone heard the interview, you could tell he missed being at UK and being a college kid. Life in the pros is all business. Give the kid a break. He came for the fans and the team and wouldn’t be here if he didn’t want too. Some of you posters need to get a life seriously.

42. BPsycho
    3:25 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

#33 lmao

#35 Wooooow there hoss…. Stop being a lil ***** troll trick… You have no ******* idea what swagger is… Roll in pimp, roll out pimp.

43. Bob
    3:29 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

One last clarification… John Wall is a 20-year-old professional athlete with one of the highest motors in the NBA… and you think he was tired? At 10pm? On a day off? For real?

Like I said before, I am happy he came back. I just don’t understand why he seemed so disinterested.

44. BigBlueFan31
    3:30 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

27. Louisville would love to have you as a “fan”. We (real UK fans) would rather not have you as part of our group. They would have NBA stars come to their games, but they don’t have any NBA stars!

45. Scared to be a fan
    3:31 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

“Slob on my knob like corn on the cobb, check in with me and do job, like on my nuts and give me head”!

Can I say that on here?

46. gocats
    3:40 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

43 STFU I don’t understand why you come in here acting like a little b!tch

47. Walter Sobchak
    3:43 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

45. those aren’t the lyrics

48. Cristoforouk
    3:44 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

43 – Moron. You do remember Dykes saying how excited Wall was to be doing the Y before Wall ever got interviewed, don’t you? And you did read that Cal said that Wall watches UK games all the time, right? He asked Cal why Jones always settles for his jump shot. The kid does not need to smile for your amusement. He loves the program, loved it while he was here, and misses it. He has been quoted as saying the fan support in the NBA doesn’t even compare to what he got at UK.

49. Anthony
    3:51 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

@Zach from the 1080 show, I was not mad at you when I made my comment about hanging up on me. I was just giving you a hard time. Now off to listen to the podcast. Glad Mitch B. Didn’t get a 5-7 year contract.

50. TreyDay
    3:54 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

You know why Wall wasn’t photogenic? Because he misses playing here and actually being able to win games.

51. Al's IndiCats
    4:05 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

Damn Bob, you shoulda quit when the quiting was good. IMO I thought it was great that one of our own came back to watch his former team in person. Most Loserville players have to get permission from their parole officers for them to leave the house.

52. r0yalewithcheez
    4:06 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

why even breath life into the issue of who thought what about wall? the average uk fan was glad to see him and appreciated having him come. a couple loud goons arent reflective of the norm

53. Bob Loblaw
    4:09 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

Did you all not see Wall give Knight that circle 3 sign when Knight nailed the 3 pointer? He was interested in the game.

54. Bob
    4:19 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

Oh, Dykes said Wall was excited to be there? Well someone should have told me that this morning! Now that I know for absolute certain that Wall was pumped to be there, I am satisfied.

The straw man arguments you guys make up are quite entertaining. Wait, Google “straw man argument” before responding. Here, I’ll help you out:

“A straw man is a component of an argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent’s position. To ‘attack a straw man’ is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by substituting it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the ‘straw man’), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position.”

Have the smart guy at work help you out understanding what that means and how it applies to the discussion at hand.

55. JEREMY
    4:19 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

Its the idoit ass UK fans like that, that make me embarrased to be a UK fan sometimes… Not gonna let a few idiots that are never pleased and hav no life ruin our program. Spend that time and energy doing something postive.. Just hope JWall knows that the true fans appreciate EVRYTHING he did for the program! GO CATS….GO JOHN WALL!!

56. Emmert still sucks
    4:20 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

Bob = Old-School??

57. Bob
    4:25 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

#56 – Nope. Bob = Bob… Old-School even embarrasses me! 🙂

58. Beatle Bum
    4:26 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

Cannot see how anyone would have complaints about Wall’s demeanor. He is a cool cat and he loved UK. That should be enough.

59. andy
    4:31 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

Bob – not old school – bob has no school. Seriously bob quit hatin on a 20 yr old. You my friend need to grow up and worry about our current team not whether john wall smiled or not.

60. true blue through and through
    4:34 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

Everybody that’s hating on Wall shut your mouth! He was a top college point guard and now is a top Pro guard. Not to mention that he owes nobody here anything, besides maybe Cal for getting him ready to go, but that’s beside the point. I’m just glad he showed up. Where’s everybody else? I didn’t see them sitting there from beginning to end. He wanted to be there or he wouldn’t have…Period! Also, he can smile when he wants to, nobody on here is his effin’ daddy!!! Go Cats! Good Luck in the pros JW

61. Bob
    4:39 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

#58 – “…he loved UK.”

Yep!

You guys make this too much fun!

62. GoCats32
    4:46 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

I’m sure that anybody on here that criticized Wall for not smiling or whatever are fans from other programs coming on here just wanting to stir things up. Hopefully they’ll go back to their own message boards soon. Thanks John Wall. I hope you come back more often.

63. maynard62
    4:55 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

Bob – I’ve already told you that you are the idiot, you don’t have to give us any more support. You don’t even know what a straw man argument is. Clue dumbass – its not a straw man if people are responding directly to your complaints, i.e. he didn’t smile enough. Oh, and here is something else for you, idiot, did you not watch the Cats last year, because his demeanor last night is pretty much his demeanor all the time. (By the way, I’m responding to you with name calling because you have already pulled that one out of the bag).

64. Emerson Biggins
    5:14 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

22. All I said was he could of smiled when he went out and did the “Y”, I did not bash him or his respect for the program. You might want to re-read my post, I did not in any way say he should do the John Wall dance and steal the show, just smile. I then made a joke about 12 saying he’s accused of the same demeanor as Wall, so I said your accused of being John Wall? I didn’t say one thing negative, but if the post makes you feel better about yourself at my expense, glad I could help you out!

65. jp
    5:59 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

The people who are on Wall… why don’t you get off his back? He has a different personality than the type of person you want to see. So what? He gets excited when he plays ball… was that not enough for you? Maybe he doesn’t smile much. Lots of people don’t smile much. Who cares? He came back. He didn’t have to… he did because he loves UK. That’s all that matters. He came back.

66. cats11
    6:01 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

That fake David Beckham is AWFUL. Seriously hard to listen to. Sounds nothing like him.

67. The Fan
    6:49 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

Wall was acting professional, What does everyone want him to do? back flips? When Rondo or Prince comes back they act the same way. The kid busted his butt for UK. Some UK fans just want to complain about everything, They could win it all 4 times in a row and some fans would still find something to complain about. Quit acting like kids and support the players.

68. jp
    8:43 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

I know Jones had lots of turnovers last night, but I loved the way he played unselfish. Loved it. Who was the first one there any time someone needed a hand from the floor? Jones would run to them and help them up. That’s what I like to see. Jones is growing. He’s going to get there in time for March Madness. Kentucky is going to make a run in the tournament, and I hate to say it… with that run, I’ll bet Jones, Lamb, and Knight are all gone. Lamb is amazing to me — he is very quick. I think he’s one of the quickest guys I’ve seen for a while. Bledsoe was quick too but Lamb does change speeds so well.

69. BIG BLUE BARBER
    9:26 pm February 9, 2011 Permalink

Wall is great- we appreciate him- critics are ungrateful and wrong. I hope the kid didn’t hear any of that garbage! Probably trolls. Jealous closet filthy card fans!

70. Rev Al Sharpton
    12:00 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Some people are just idiots!! And yes some of them are UK fans!! John wall did nothing wrong he came to support his former college team. He wasn’t there to put on a show or distract from the current team just to support and encourage them!! Thanks John for your support!!!

71. Joey
    12:09 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

god damn liggins is lucky. sweet lips.

72. Chris
    1:35 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

Just testing for a friend. It looks like this page is having trouble displaying comments. Feel free to delete.