UK Fan of the Day Want Afternoon Notes

uk-fan-of-the-day-stats

A few quick notes on a Monday that’s moving fairly quickly, courtesy of my friends from STATS who stuck around and hung out with me while I Live Blogged the Ole Miss game…

– In typical Calipari fashion, he spent his time on the SEC Coaches Teleconference praising Princeton and talking about what a challenge it will be for Kentucky Thursday.  Cal noted that while they don’t play a true “Princeton Offense”, they do, according to Cal, have two very good post players and run their sets very well.  Calipari added that they play with a chip on their shoulders and will “open up and go”, which would make more sense if he was testifying in Karen Sypher’s trial.

– There was little of interest on the call this morning, but it is worth noting that it opened with a reporter from the Wall Street Journal asking about the “three point goggles” gesture that is, according to him, becoming a fad nationwide.  Coach Cal, of course, said he didn’t really know much about it, but pointed out that, just like with the John Wall Dance, it is a good marketing tool for the program with young players and that its his goal to make sure prospects in California know the names of Kentucky’s players.  Things like this help accomplish that.

– If you’re a gambling man, the Cats opened as 13.5  favorites over Princeton.  Next to being 23.5 point underdogs to Duke in November, it’s the worst spread for the Tigers of the seaon and only the second time since 2011 started that they’ve been underdogs.

– In other gambling news, Kentucky has better odds to win the title than Florida.  The Cats have 15:1 odds, while the Gators have 20:1 odds.  Make of that what you like.

– If you’re looking for help in filling out your bracket, make sure you check out Bracket Beast.  It’s a site run by a KSR reader and helps you select your winners through statistical data.  If you’re like me and the Lord blessed you with good looks instead of brains, it’s worth checking out.

– Adding another possible destination to the Billy Gillispie Watch, Oklahoma fired head coach Jeff Capel Monday.  Oklahoma now joins Arkansas, Texas Tech and pretty much every other school as a rumored destination for Clyde.  The odds are increasing for the former UK coach.

In case you missed it this morning, the Kentucky Sports Radio podcast is available.  Matt was joined by Mark Krebs and the guys discussed all of the madness of the previous weekend, including seeding and the great win in Atlanta.  The show from Friday has also been added to double your listening pleasure.  Check it out.

Article written by Thomas Beisner

32 Comments for UK Fan of the Day Want Afternoon Notes

1. CPKIII
    2:16 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

dare I say it.. I have never been in this spot.. Nope not going to do it.

2. 4 TO THE TOP
    2:19 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

goggles.

3. Big Blue 66
    2:20 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

There is no way BCG is landing a D1 job after filing suit against a University employer. Go ask Nolan Richardson

4. dhighdrated
    2:25 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

On bracket beast, I’ve tried 10 different combinations and Duke&Wisconsin always make it to the final four. weird.

5. BCG
    2:28 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

I prefer beer goggles myself!

6. Carp
    2:30 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

Pretty sure the Portland Trailblazers started the whole 3 goggles thing

7. Charles Schene
    2:33 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

BCG at Choklahoma? You’re kidding right?

8. riley
    2:38 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

Its Patterson birthday and he does not have a blog yet whats the deal. where is the love

9. coco
    2:48 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

we should go after the oklahoma commit, Robert goff, A 6-10 junior collge center…lets do it

10. Charles Schene
    2:49 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

Maybe College of Oklahoma State A&M Northeastern University of Stillwater

11. I know Cal
    2:50 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

#9)-Cal doesn’t go after a player if he’s already committed

12. knightynight
    2:52 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

We are ranked #11 in the newest polls and our friends from Florida are #15. Makes tons of sense huh?

13. miller time
    2:56 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

cal will be on espnu at 3:20 on the coaches special…i wanna see a seth greenberg video. there has to be one

14. beware of the 6
    3:11 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

Watch out for the eye goggles. If you want to know the true origin of them just ask Lebron James. Goto youtube and type in “Lebron James Illuminati” and you will see why this started and why everyone is doing it. Call me what you want or label me what you like this is just whhat a friend told me kinda interesting tho.

15. Luke
    3:13 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

“We may be playing Kentucky, but we’ll be the wildest cats there,” Kareem Maddox(Princeton Forward)said.

16. SCCat
    3:15 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

I just noticed that Matt Jones and his bracket are on CBS Sportsline – he has Ohio State winning it.

Wrong answer Matt. Maybe they have a no homer clause in your contract, but you should have a “we’re the best” clause to counteract that.

Cats over everybody – biggest surprise title in history of the program.

17. M GILLIE THE KID 11
    3:16 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

15)Demarcus Cousins said this aint no spelling bee

18. Roggensak
    3:32 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

17) FTW!!!

19. John McClane
    3:38 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

Who’s the serial killer at the back right?

20. me
    3:43 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

4-thats easy. Wisconsin will get beat by Belmont.

21. UKChillFan
    4:09 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

This is somewhat off the subject but has anybody else come close to doing what Coach Cal has done this year. He loses his top five players to the draft, he doesn’t get one of his recruits eligible (that’s another story), starts 2-3 freshman each game, has a center nobody outside the BBN has heard of, and takes his team back to the conference championship game (and wins) etc. I know it is a run on sentence but I wasn’t an English major. Just saying, this has been an incredible year for a man some people think can’t coach.

22. Joe
    4:11 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

How about a mustache protest for the NCAA screwing?

Cmon, KSR, I need you, TCP needs you, the entire BBN needs you!

23. UKcat
    4:26 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

OMG!!! I was sitting there with this group….two nights at Stats….fun. fun…fun….even if the lady on the right did have a 160.00 bar bill!!!

24. el hombre juan
    4:35 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

14 – the all seeing eye of horus? terrifying…how about all the lady gaga illuminati symbols? jay z? rihanna? creepy stuff man…hey is that Nat Haggard in the pic? Jesus loves you all!!!

25. barn
    4:41 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

-21-hey, if he couldn’t win it last year over stallings he never will. this year’s team is minus 9 (nine) players from a year ago. gma big ol’ fb

26. UKcat
    5:10 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

OMG!!! We spent Friday and Saturday evening with this group at Stats! I didn’t know they were famous!

27. beware of the 6
    5:50 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

24-You nailed it man its not just Lebron its all the enertainers.These people are so influential and reach out to millions and spread trends.This is why they get paid the big bucks and get all the fame. Get out of the mind set of cattle in the pasture and GO BIG BLUE most importantly!!!!

28. OrvilleofMonkeysEyebrow
    7:07 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

I will pay her bar tab.

29. JenC
    10:09 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

YAY!!!! My peeps are famous!!! 🙂 Big R and T-n-T in da house!!!!

30. Andrew
    11:51 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

#14 Thank you for posting the link about the Illuminati connection to the “okay”/ eye goggles sign. I wrote an email to Matt Jones about it weeks ago as soon as I saw Doron Lamb unknowingly flashing it every time he hit a three. It just made me sad to see it. The kid is 18 and just doing something without understanding what it means. The only response was some sarcastic remark later that week in a blog on this site, but I tried. I am not comfortable with UK and Calipari having such a close relationship with Lebron James after learning about his bizarre Illuminati bs. I am glad somebody else on this site is aware of it.

31. Andrew
    11:54 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

what I could not believe was that the symbol of the “ok” sign was being worn by hundreds of UK fans at the SEC tourney.

32. cats