UK Fan in front of the Eiffel Tower Wants Afternoon Notes and Podcast

After five days, 745 miles, one win and one loss, I am back in Nashville with more questions than ever about this Kentucky squad. While I stretch my legs and settle back in, let’s go over the notes of the day:

— Raise your hand if you’re still upset about last night’s loss. I thought so. From Archie’s inability to pass the ball to the fifteen minute scoring drought that sealed the Cats’ fate, the team took three steps back after an encouraging performance at Auburn. Now, they can’t afford any slip-ups to make the NCAA tournament, which seems to be an improbable task for a group that simply panicked when the going got tough against the Crimson Tide. We’ve been spoiled with some beautiful basketball over the past few years, which makes this team’s stumbles seem even more painful sometimes.

Go watch this right now. It will cheer you up.

— In case you missed it in the post directly below this one, the NCAA is now investigating itself after uncovering an issue of improper conduct that occurred during the University of Miami investigation. Scroll down to read more, but the investigation not only proves how corrupt the NCAA is as an institution but puts the brakes on the University of Miami investigation, which means that both UofL assistant coach Clint Hurtt and Missouri basketball coach Frank Haith may get off the hook if any of the information that was improperly obtained referred to them. Per usual, Jay Bilas puts it best:

— In other news, Louisville announced Charlie Strong’s contract extension, which is for eight years with an annual base salary of $3.7 million, plus incentives worth at least $583,333 for reaching the BCS championship game. That makes Strong the seventh highest paid coach in the nation behind Alabama’s Nick Saban, Texas’ Mack Brown, Oklahoma’s Bob Stoops, Ohio State’s Urban Meyer, Iowa’s Kirk Ferentz, and LSU’s Les Miles. Should Strong want to leave Louisville, it’ll cost him $5 million, a number that decreases by $625,000 each year. That’s a lot of tight polo shirts.

— In recruiting news, four-star safety Marcus McWilson will visit Kentucky this weekend. McWilson is a former Nebraska commit who decommitted after his lead recruiter, Vince Marrow, left the Huskers to join Mark Stoops’ staff. Let’s show him a good time.

— Speaking of football, Randall Cobb is in Lexington right now to visit his old stomping grounds. Cobb even made the rounds at the athletic offices…does that mean he spent time with Mark Stoops? I hope so. Because we probably still need cheering up, here’s a video of Randall Cobb doing crazy fast exercises:

I really have no excuse to not get on the treadmill now.

— On today’s radio show, Matt and Ryan recapped last night’s disappointing loss to Alabama and talk about where the Cats go from here. Have a listen at TalkRadio1080.com.

24 Comments for UK Fan in front of the Eiffel Tower Wants Afternoon Notes and Podcast

1. Big Daddy
    3:07 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

I love King’s Island!

2. Hal
    3:12 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

who knew. that actually did cheer me up

3. Big mike in The Wood
    3:14 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

When he gets his chance, Cobbs gonna kill it on Dancing With The Stars.

4. Douggercats
    3:19 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, I felt better till I realized only one of them dudes is still around. #JohnShort4YearPlan

5. henry earl
    3:19 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

aw sick i love kings island

6. Duuuuuude
    3:20 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

I heard Matt say last night at Poythress could very well not enter the draft this year. If that happened, I would think it would hurt our recruitment of Gordon, Randall or Wiggins. What do you think?

7. theWilkman
    3:23 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

6 – You think those guys are scared of Poythress stealing playing time? Unless the kid magically conjurs up a motor he hasn’t even shown the slightest inkling to then no… no it won’t.

8. RealCatsFan
    3:24 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

I think the pressure is going to be much grater on Strong to continue producing now that he is making nearly $4mil / year. How much grumbling will we hear from the fans if they happen to stumble next year against a BE team like UConn or Rutgers? Don’t say it can’t happen!

Is Ricky P. going to ask for a raise too?

9. RealCatsFan
    3:26 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

6 – did the fact that Jones and Lamb hung around for another year have any bearing at all on getting MKG, Davis and Teague?

10. ClevelandCat
    3:32 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

Yeah that d1 is pretty cool. Darius and Randall are co-owners of the one in Bowling Green.

11. HeshimuEvans'2ndGradeTeacher
    3:33 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

I love Kings Island too but that’s not their tower. Kings Island’s tower is green.

12. BlueKYMike
    3:39 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

Besides the fact that I have no athletic ability, videos like Cobb’s prove to me that I could never be a world class athlete because I don’t have the work ethhic to train that hard. People talk about god given talent, but these guys have to work to make it pay off.

13. Yeah what Bilas said
    3:42 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

Strike while the iron is hot. Emmeret must resign!

14. the Big Dog
    3:48 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

let’s hope Charlie goes down with the bagman. Makes you wonder how they got Bridgwater.

15. Wildcat Blood
    3:50 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

Decided to boycott the next two games. I need a break from this sh!tty basketball.

16. LexJim
    3:58 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

11 – You mean someone copied the Kings Island Eiffel Tower? Or maybe they stole it and repainted it! Hokey smoke Bullwinkle!

17. MustangCat
    4:10 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

Cobb doubles as a dance instructor. Who knew?

18. UKClay
    4:26 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

I am the one in the pic, and it’s legit. Got more if you need proof haha. Also, I’m in Knoxville so it’s not like I’m real close to the apparent green tower at King’s Island in Cinci. Anywho, Go Cats!

19. ukfan
    4:52 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

you all should of put a hoopmixtape of the Harrison Twins or something instead of the One Shining Moment video.. give us something to be excited for in the future rather than the past.. next year is coming!!!!

20. UKBlue
    5:10 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

Classic UL: They give their coach a huge contract, their idiot fans don’t realize their ticket prices are now drastically going up, the main recruiter that brought the kids to UL so Charlie could get this huge contract is getting ready to get the equivalent of the NCAA individual death penalty, and somehow this is all good news to UL. The only thing to make this funnier is when Bridgewater is ruled ineligible, UL has to forfeit their wins, the ACC eventually falls apart – all the good schools leave – UL is stuck again in the equivalent of the Big East, and UL & UL ticket holders now owe Charlie a bunch of money.

21. Eight Letters
    5:15 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

Well,,,,I’m tired. Just watching Randall workout makes me hurt.

22. bob
    7:43 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

#20…nothing going to happen to Bridgewater…making fun of Big East yet Pitt smacked you in the last bowl game UK played. Final rankings show UK would be dead last in Big East.

23. You say
    8:30 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

@18. An awful lot of explaining yourself. C’est juste une blague.

24. Cognitive harmony
    9:07 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

I forget the exact term the NCAA recently came up with but the basic idea was that the coach is responsible even if he had no way of knowing about an infraction. By the same logic isn’t Emmert responsible for this? It’s his policy. He should have to face the same fate as the schools, students, and coaches.