UK Fan At Friday Night Lights Camp Wants Notes From The Governor’s Cup Luncheon

ukfan-camp

Mark Stoops and Charlie Strong got together this afternoon to promote their teams’ upcoming meeting, the 26th of the rivalry, on September 14. The luncheon, held at the Hustbourne Country Club in Louisville, featured a golf tournament and several special guests, including former UofL coach Lee Corso and former UK coach Fran Curci.

Here’s a brief rundown of what Stoops had to say at the podium after their meal…

— The highlight of the day was a quote from Mark Stoops about this offseason’s ‘Yahtzee!’ phenomenon on Twitter. As Mrs. Tyler informed you in the post below, Stoops was asked if he plays Yahtzee!, and he responded, “Absolutely we play Yahtzee! I’m pretty good, but Coach Marrow, he’s kind of the best.”

— Stoops also reminded reporters that he was 11-0 in in-state rivalry games throughout his coaching career until last season. He said he isn’t going to pretend like the Governor’s Cup is just another game.

— If you’d like to see the Louisville game moved back to the first game of the season, don’t get your hopes up. Stoops said he likes to play a couple games before facing a rival but he will talk to administration about it. He added that the game could be in jeopardy if the SEC goes to nine games, but that’s beyond his control.

— A UK football player recently tweeted that he can’t wait to wear suits for the Cat Walk prior to games. Today Stoops said that tweet was a little premature but he’s working on instituting a suit-only policy on gamedays. “That Twitter will get you,” he said of the tweet.

— Big Blue Nation, you have been “phenomenal” in helping out with recruiting, he says. Pat yourself on the back.

Stoops will be back at the podium on Friday for the Greater Louisville UK Alumni Club Wildcat Kickoff Luncheon.

Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

24 Comments for UK Fan At Friday Night Lights Camp Wants Notes From The Governor’s Cup Luncheon

1. BluKudzu
    2:10 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Keep the Louisville game and dump the zeroes used to fluff the schedule. This has been tremendous for football in the commonwealth, and it would be a shame for either university to discontinue. UK forever.

2. The Space Between Liza Minnelli's Eyes
    2:19 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

At the risk of putting my foot in my mouth here, we aren’t recruiting the kid in the red shirt are we? I mean, the kid looks much better suited to be the water boy

3. James
    2:26 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Can’t wait to meet Coach Stoops on Friday at the KSR show!

4. The Stache
    2:32 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

the Greater Louisville UK Alumni Club Wildcat Kickoff Luncheon…that’s a mouth full. Don’t you think they could come up with something a little shorter and memorable.

5. Digusted
    2:36 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

2 – The young man you are referring to happens to be a family member of mine. A good young man who was thrilled to be a part of the weekend. I am digusted that his family (who read this site regularly) have to read this type derogatory comment about their son. Nice job on attacking one of your own in BBN.

6. cracka
    2:43 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

dude, he didn’t insult the kid … basically said he was small compared to guys about to play sec football … it was actually said the other day who the kid in the picture was and that he’s a few years younger, but is pretty quick

7. cracka
    2:45 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

anyway, i was wondering about the davis twins … anybody know if there’s a deadline for a decision on them playing this year?

8. paintsville'sdairyqueen
    2:54 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Elam is a monster! He makes everbody in that pic look small.

9. paintsville'sdairyqueen
    2:56 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

*everybody (Never fails when your in a hurry)

10. Rei
    2:59 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Nice try #5

11. Disgusted
    3:40 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

I guess I missed the memo when “water boy” became a compliment. (Insert eye roll emoticon)

12. chisox
    3:48 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

5 – I get you might be friends with the kid and his family, but #2 wasn’t insulting him. He was just saying the kid would die in an SEC game, and you would say the exact same thing if you didn’t know him. Stop looking for things to get offended by.

13. ukcats42301
    4:20 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

This is at least the third time I’ve seen people comment on who the kid in the red shirt is. All 3 were different answers. Disgusted, if you’re truly a family member why don’t you tell who he is and why he was there, then maybe the comments you don’t like will go away.

14. ukcats42301
    4:54 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Drew Barker posted on twitter 2 hrs ago that he just got off the phone with coach Marrow and some big time #Yahtzees were coming soon!! He didn’t say exactly when. Drew says he been working the phones all day! How great is this kid??

15. UK
    5:40 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Best part of the picture above: Elam’s pink Iphone case

16. Dylan Mattingly's Mom
    5:49 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

The “Waterboy” comment was mean spirited and not funny. The young man in the red shirt is my son Dylan Mattingly! This weekend UK held a football camp just as most universities do at this time of year! Dylan along with 200 or so other football players including the 2014 recruits in this pic participated in the camp TOGETHER. The campers worked one on one with the coaching staff, soaked up some very valuable knowledge, and got do it all in Commonwealth Stadium. It was an awesome experience, they even got some time with Coach Stoops. This picture was taken after camp ended for the night and Dylan asked Drew Barker if he could take a pic with him. Drew Barker said sure and then invited the rest of the guys to get in the pic as well. When Coach Stoops saw the guys all posing for the pic he asked, “Hey can I get in on this?” And the pic was taken! A pretty cool moment for Son!!

17. ukcats42301
    6:23 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

16) thank you Dylan Mattingly’s mom. I’m sure it was a night he’ll remember the rest of his life. Hope to see him in the blue & white one day! (Well now it’s blue, white, black & gray 🙂

18. Kyle
    6:33 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Don’t take the waterboy to lightly he might open up a can of whoop***

19. The Space Between Liza Minnelli's Eyes
    6:57 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Holy blow up, Jack. You guys need to chill out a bit, I didn’t say anything that was derogatory. Derogatory is when I rank the women I would take to Porcini’s on the “Fans of the Day” posts. If you can not tell that this kid isn’t exactly built for college (or even decent high school) football then you, sir, need to wake up and smell the roses.

20. roger
    7:18 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

#2, didn’t call him a water boy, he said he looked more suited to be a water boy. The truth is, if we were asked, who in the picture looked like a water boy, the majority would have picked Dylan. Now, having said that, when I seen the pic I thought Dylan looked younger than the others. It didn’t cross my mind to make a post about his size. I figured he was a younger player there for the camp. I hope that he doesn’t take to much offense to the statement. Who knows, by the time he graduates, he may be a beast. They say not to judge a book by it’s cover. I say don’t judge an athlete by his size or appearance. If I walked in a bank and seen P.Manning, I would think he had more chance of being a banker than one of the best QB’s of all time. I would be wrong.

21. roger
    7:32 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

19. you made the following comment “If you can not tell that this kid isn’t exactly built for college (or even decent high school) football then……… I have to disagree with that statement. I have seen many 140 to 150 pound kids dominate high school games. I also seem to recall some pretty good, “smaller players” that done pretty good for themselves. Granted, Dylan looks smaller than the guys I am going to mention, but he has plenty of time to grow. And for those concerned about such things. I did not write the below info. I am simply sharing it.

College football’s only two-time Heisman Trophy winner was 5’9″ and 189 pounds. Archie Griffin never let his size nor the size of any defender ever get in the way of gaining yardage.

Griffin led the Buckeyes in rushing all four years he was there and is one of only two college football players to ever play in four consecutive Rose Bowls.

Durability was never a factor for Griffin, as he carried the ball 924 times for 5,589 yards and 26 touchdowns.

Barry Sanders is a name that comes up in every discussion of the best all-time running back at every level of football.

A Heisman Trophy winner, Sanders was unstoppable and had more moves than most teams see in a decade. At 5’8″, Sanders didn’t need size; what he was best at was simply making defenders dive and tackle an armful of air.

While I don’t believe Sanders’ 39 touchdowns in a season will ever be broken, his five consecutive 200-yard rushing games are no less amazing.

At 5’5″, 170 pounds, Mack Herron may be one of the smallest running backs even on this list. If there was ever living proof that a little guy could play football, Herron was certainly it.

Herron was an All-American at Kansas State, where he had some of the gaudiest single-game numbers ever, including a single game where he had a 70-plus-yard run from scrimmage, a 99-yard kickoff return, threw a touchdown pass, and caught another for a score.

At 5’6″, Darren Sproles is currently the shortest player in the NFL, but he always has played a big game.

At Kansas State, Sproles was a leader on the field, rushing for 45 touchdowns as a Wildcat and 4,979 yards. Of course, that doesn’t even include his all-purpose yard numbers.

Garrett Wolfe is listed at 5’7″, 186 pounds, but I think that might even be an stretch. What isn’t a stretch was that Wolfe was one of the most exciting players ever to play college football.

The diminutive Wolfe showed up big in the big games against the big teams such as Michigan and Ohio State, where he had 285 total yards in Columbus.

Wolfe led the nation in rushing in 2006 with 1,928 yards.

Since the 5’8″ Fenroy is the most recent of the players on this list, it’s probably somewhat surprising that he is the least known as well.

Fenroy is one of only seven players in the history of college football to rush for over 1,000 yards in four consecutive seasons. Fenroy was a walking record book last season as he smashed records on a weekly basis.

22. Erik Corem
    11:29 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Let me put Dylan Mattingly through my workouts, kid will grow some big ol’ SEC muscles

23. timer
    6:53 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

Shout out to Coach Curci….The only UK Coach in my lifetime to have an undefeated SEC season….My last year at UK. Tell ’em about Jim Kovach, Art Still, Dallas Owens, Richard Jaffe (and we remember you too Mike Siganos – toughest punt returner in the history of the game). Those guys could play some D.

24. CatomicBomb
    7:55 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

This picture right here shows that we are on our way! Idk, just something about it is different…oh they are excited, that’s it. Wish I could afford me some Season tix again, Oh well…