UK Coaching Search Update

search

I planned on doing this later in the evening, but with news going quickly, we will give you a short update first. After speaking to a number of sources throughout the day, I believe UK is very close to welcoming a new coach to Lexington. The job has not yet been offered to anyone, but I believe that could happen very soon. At this point the search has centered around 4 candidates. Three of those candidates are:

Mark Stoops: Florida State (DC)

Mike MacIntyre: San Jose St Head Coach

Sonny Dykes: Louisiana Tech Head Coach

There is a 4th candidate that I assume is Gary Andersen of Utah State, but at this time I cannot confirm that. UK is still also interested in Butch Jones, but two sources tell me that he believes he is in play for the Tennessee job and is holding out until farther along in that search. I no longer believe UK is pursuing Kliff Kingsbury from Texas A&M. Plus, the so-called “NFL guy” is now also unlikely, primarily because waiting until after the season is not a viable option.

I will have more on all of this in the late night post, but there is your synopsis at this time. I think the smart money is on Stoops or MacIntyre, with a decision coming shortly.

Article written by Matt Jones

275 Comments for UK Coaching Search Update

1. true story
    8:04 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

When does the search for a real AD begin?

2. Roman
    8:04 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Dykes or Stoops. I can totally get behind those two.

3. Jonah Hex
    8:05 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I understand our place, but this list is awful. Sorry.

4. Cal
    8:05 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Anthony Davis took the fifth most shots.

5. Joe
    8:05 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

SONNY D BABY!!

6. UK
    8:05 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

All of those are so disappointing….

7. Cats R Back
    8:06 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I like how your boldfaced sentence makes no sense at all….

8. blueaville
    8:06 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

wow…after thinking we had a legit shot at Petrino this is very very discouraging. please don’t give the usual spin about some new hotshot coach, etc etc etc.

we are an SEC school…yes the bottom but still an SEC school. this list is VERY unfortunate. time to look for a new 60 inch LED flatscreen instead of renewing my tics.

9. I thought we were holding out for Fran Curci!

10. Claytus
    8:06 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Man I hoping for MacIntyre!!!! WHOO!!!!!

11. derp
    8:06 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Not impressed at all

12. Mongolian Stomper
    8:06 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Can we not get anymore wrestling talk anymore?? Geesh

13. Matt P
    8:06 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I admit that I’m a Petrino guy and none of these really scream “LETS GET FIRED UP” to me but I could learn to like 3. Sonny Dykes while running a very fun offense just doesn’t excite me. His lack of defense makes Mumme look like John Chavis. Stoops would be the most exciting while, MacIntyre would probably be the best coach. I just really wish that Mitch would make a play for Mark Hudspeth if he’s going to resort to these unproven up and comers.

14. Prophet
    8:06 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Barnhart is digging his own grave with fans.

15. Yo man
    8:06 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Please be Dykes

16. Greg
    8:07 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I really like Stoops. If we want to win games in the SEC we have to play defense well and Stoops has shown he is great at it.

17. mark stoops
    8:07 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

please be me. please be me. please be me. please be me.

18. London
    8:07 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Is Terry Bowden too toxic? Always wonder why he isn’t mentioned for jobs like this one. Seems to be a good fit.

19. BigBlueJake
    8:07 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Those names don’t really excite me much. Hope they can come in and rally this fanbase.

20. ksr fan
    8:07 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I’ll be glad when the search is over. I’m glad we are very coach to welcoming a new coach to Lexington.

21. Keith Stone
    8:07 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I’ll take Stoops. Football is in their blood and I don’t mind being as good as Oklahoma. Mike Stoops did stumble at Arizona, but Mark’s got this.

22. Brandon
    8:08 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I really hope that it is Mark Stoops. I think he is a great coach and would be a great hire. MacIntyre leaves a lot to be desired in terms of excitement in my opinion. He is 16-21 overall as a head coach, but he certainly has turned things around at SDSU…going fro 1-12 in his 1st year to 10-2 this season. However, he does have experience in the SEC as an assistant at Georgia and Mississippi. I don’t know, I am talking myself into him as I write this, but I would still rather have Stoops.

23. Doubledynasty2012
    8:08 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

So let me get this straight… We “can’t wait in nfl guy because we don’t want to wait till season is over.. Since when did UK get so high and mighty that they eliminate quality coaches simply because we r in a hurry… What’s that hurry!?!?… Unbelievable!!

24. Braf
    8:08 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

At least it does not involve Bobby Petrino and now maybe the idiots will shut up about him!!!

25. Wildcatfan52
    8:08 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I wish everyone would get behind whoever the new coach is but there is a faction out there that seem to be bigger fans of Bobby Petrino than they are UK.

26. GoBlue
    8:08 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Why are you all not behind Stoops? He’s one of the top assistants in the country. His defense has been very good and improving each year at FSU. You people act like you think we can get a Nick Saban or a Chip Kelly to come to Kentucky. If we got Stoops, it’d be a big hire, IMO.

27. jlove
    8:08 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I for one would love to see a defensive minded person as HC for once. Not sure why everyone is after butch jones. I’m pretty sure I could coach a team to a winning record in the Big East.

28. kes
    8:08 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

them guys dont poop ice cream

29. thegr8one
    8:09 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

When are you going to get it through your skull that Dykes is not coming to UK??!! If he’s not allowed to bring Tony Franklin then he’s not interested.

30. hersheyisabear
    8:09 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

This is getting very interesting. Have my popcorn in the microwave as we speak. Of any on the list I would prefer Stoops. But we shall see.

31. Fecesforbrains
    8:09 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Bring on stoops we haven’t had a defense in years and years … Cool fun to watch offenses are only a coordinator away … With a name like stoops he will have no problem getting top flight coordinators and position coaches …. Plus I would imagine he has some recruiting contacts throughout the south and he’s from Ohio or somewhere in the Midwest could very well be able to recruit kids to the milder winter climates and Lexington is a top flight town…

32. Catwalk
    8:10 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Stoops would be a big time hire. Sure would be nice for UK to build a monster of a defense plus Stoops has his feet firmly planted in the Florida recruiting circles. Plz get that done Mitch!

33. Brian S
    8:10 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

A DC or a coach that runs a pro style offense. Wow, this turned out even more underwhelming than I could have imagined. At this point I’d pray for Sonny Dykes. I guess Mitch showed us. “You won’t support my friend Joker? I’ll give you unreasonable people a coach you can truly hate!

34. 3rdDownDraw
    8:10 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

2,14 How can you all hate on Barnhart??
    In my opinion he is the best AD we could ever hope for. If he leaves before retirement it’ll be for greener pastures not because he got fired.

35. Caftan4444
    8:10 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I knew Gomer Pyle Barnhart couldn’t get it done. Simply bafoonery as Chris would say. I’m done with UK football. Have fun next season you guys. Done I tell ya.

36. Old Henry Man
    8:10 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

No Homerun hire from that group. I want Stoops of the 4 you have listed.
    Barnhart screwed up again

37. Big Rich
    8:11 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Guess ill just order another stadium print and eat cottage cheese on my couch. That’s how this news makes me feel. I knew we had to google our next coach

38. BB
    8:11 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

If UK is interested in Jones, why not wait and see how the UT search shakes out. Jones > MacIntyre, Dykes, Stoops, etc. Watched the SJST v LaTech game, not encouraged by either coach. NO defense at all. Mumme part 2 without Couch. we’ll win 4 or 5 games and lose the others with scores like 49-38 or 55-42.

39. Cal
    8:11 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Michael was fourth. AND THEY’RE 1-2 in the draft! WHAT?!

40. Trublususu
    8:11 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Why don’t all you negative people apply for the AD position so you can make the hire you want, if you think you can. This is Kentucky!!

41. UKJB
    8:11 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

23. Recruiting is the hurry

42. SweetTeaMOB Til I DIE
    8:12 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Wow… Sad.

43. Jonah Hex
    8:13 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Yes, of this underwhelming list, I would take Stoops

44. I posted this link once (okay, several times!), but here it is again if you think you want us running a WAC offense like Mumme’s. Sonny Dykes’ (Tony Franklin’s) offense is #1 in the nation (statistically anyway) but his defense is DEAD LAST IN THE NATION! #120 OUT OF 120!!! This will NOT cut it in the SEC as we saw under Mumme. Macintyre will probably be about the same: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/11/22/spread-offense-weak-defense/1720919/

45. Blue Jesus
    8:14 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

When you say very close, what kind of timetable is that?

46. Yesindeddythemrbigguns
    8:14 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

MacIntyre looks legit to me when he got to SJSU it was considered to be the worst program in all the land an this year 10-2 go back and look at articles I did that’s impressive I don’t care what any one says u can’t dispute that

47. Caftan4444
    8:15 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

40 where do I apply??

48. average fan
    8:15 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I like all 3. Let’s make the hire and get ready for next season. Always hated Petrino and can’t believe we have fans who would want him (he is a piece of sh*t). For KY to win we have to have a coach who is creative (we can’t go head to head with the other SEC teams and win games) and who can recruit. I think these 3 guys can do that.

49. Chocolateballs
    8:15 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Much like 13, there must be something I don’t understand about Hudspeth. On paper, he’s better than anyone on the list.

50. Brandon
    8:15 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

We have to hurry for a hire because of recruiting. If you wait around you can lose your current recruits and end up not getting other recruits we are going after. Also, what do you all expect? Sure, UK is a pretty good job, but with other SEC jobs open do you really expect people to be begging for this job? I think this is a pretty solid list of candidates. A solid group of up-and-coming coaches who all have good strengths. Did you want us to get Nick Saban or something? Quit being so negative.

51. Walter Sobchak
    8:15 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

UK should definitely hire MacIntyre. Because if you can hire a guy with a 16-21 record who used to work at Shoney’s, you gotta do it.

52. Biggass Hungguy
    8:15 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Sure am glad Petrino is not an option, thats a damn fine list right there Matt Jones.

53. Jack cruse
    8:16 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I can’t believe the university, alumni and fans are allowing this inept AD to hire the next coach on his own…. What a wimp the president is, just like the last one, but the trustees,and alumni should step in and nip the AD’s authority before its too late again

54. HeyMatt
    8:16 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

#3, who do you realistically think should be on our list…aside from Petrino…who can we get that is a lot better?

55. Shane
    8:16 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

From all the comments I see, if I was a big name coach I wouldn’t come here. Or even if I wasn’t a big name coach. What’s wrong with you people? Support your d*** team already or cheer for someone else. All those guys would be big for “kentucky” lets go cats looking forward to next season and whoever that coach is I’ll be behind you and give you a chance #BBN

56. yessir
    8:16 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I would rather wait for the NFL guy than rush into one of these coaches. Many people believe (and I have heard) that the NFL guy is Rob Ryan…Defensive coach of the Dallas Cowboys. At least with him you get National Pub, not to mention he will talk smack to the other SEC schools and make his players believe they belong.

57. Caftan4444
    8:16 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

40, this is Kentucky…and with that back woods outlook we will go far.

58. 100% ice cream 0% poop
    8:17 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Either MacIntyre or Stoops would be excellent hires in my opinion, and both will bring UK back to respectability and bowl games within 3 years.

59. Chi-TownCat
    8:17 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Give me Stoops if i have to choose from this list.. better recruiting circles than the others and has at least been a part of a real football school

60. Mitch B
    8:17 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

35–> goodbye

61. Trublususu
    8:17 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I cannot believe how unreasonable fans(?) have been during this football hire!! All these people who want Petrino are crazy. So he was unfaithful to his wife — the big thing is that he is a LIAR.

62. Hawkeye Tim
    8:18 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Can’t wait to welcome a fellow Hawkeye to Kentucky. Stoops is as good as it gets for Kentucky…….we are a middle of the road program…..Mitch’s game plan is always to hire a top assistant….look at every hire (except Cal) and you will see Mitch’s pattern. Volleyball, soccer, baseball, softball, etc. All of his hires were former top assistants….ALL have been successful. Joker was forced on Mitch. Stoops will be Mitch’s guy….and he will be successful.

63. Thunder
    8:18 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

That is one of the most pitiful coaching lists imaginable. I know we suck but damn.

64. Roman
    8:18 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

31) +1

65. Urincatland
    8:18 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Keeping my fingers crossed for Stoops. If the list above is accurate then I think he’s our best choice to come in and turn this thing around. He has a larger area of recruiting ties than the names listed. So with that said, I think he will add the most excitement to our program. However, I wished Barnhart would go after Kingsbury.

66. Smitty
    8:18 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

These names make picking between golf lesson or UK tickets easy. Golf lessons win!

67. Old Henry Man
    8:18 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Tennesse’s list:
    John Gruden
    Bobby Petrino
    Charlie Strong
    Butch Jones

What a difference

68. Ttam senoJ
    8:19 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Butch Jones was offered the job, but turned it down.
    Mike MacIntyre was going to be offered, but Mark Stoops called to say wait until the Florida game is over and I will interview (remember, Cal was in Florida yesterday).
    Mike MacIntyre accept today. Contact will be signed tomorrow, announcement on Tuesday.

69. Joe
    8:20 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Tennesse’s list:
    John Gruden
    Bobby Petrino
    Charlie Strong
    Butch Jones
    What a difference

And which of those has AGREED to UT’s proposal?

70. 713
    8:21 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Mike MacIntyre should be new coach, it’s fun to watch, and lok what he had done at SJSU. People just want stoops because of name.

71. UK_Gr8ness
    8:21 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

With this list… plan on being the door mat of the SEC FOREVER!!! Thank goodness it’s Basketball season!!! For you Barnhart fans, Cal recruited himself to UK… if the list isn’t getting any better than this then we need an AD search!!!

72. DesignatedDrinker
    8:21 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I have been anti Petrino since the beginning. When Butch said no, I think Petrino is the only choice. He won’t be. Who will take the fall with the lame coach they fire in 3-4 years? Mitch Barnhardt. I like him also. But Petrino will win. We will not. MB will get the axe because of it. These hires are as lame as possible, should’ve just kept Joker, seriously. Matt Jones is excited over them? Well, there goes the little credibility he had on football.

73. Caftan4444
    8:21 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

67, amen!!! Keep,our money UK can have a yard sale to raise funds.

74. Culver
    8:21 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I’d have no problem with Stoops or MacIntyre…works for me as a fan! Let’s just get this over already! It’s all about recruiting…the sooner we get a coach/staff in place, the sooner next year’s squad will fall into place.

75. Catwalk
    8:23 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Some of u are completely out of touch if a possibility of Mark Stoops doesn’t excite you! He is one of the best coaches in the country and his ability to recruit would bring players to UK that we haven’t ever hoped of having!

76. I will support whoever the coach is, BTW.

77. josh
    8:23 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

what ever happened to randy shannon, former coach at miami?

78. DerbyAl
    8:23 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Stoops! A hundred times over stoops. I think that’s a decent list simply because it doesn’t have the names ‘Petrino’ or ‘Leach’, which are apparently the only two names the UK lemmings know. Would be fantastic to be a legitimate SEC defense for once!

79. Mitch Barnhart
    8:23 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

You will invest in my Ponzi scheme, and you will love it. BWAAA HA HA HA.

80. Thunder
    8:24 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Big question is who will the new AD and new football coach be in 3-4 years. These names will avg 4 wins a year.

81. Caftan4444
    8:24 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Most of you guys are easily entertained. If you are ok with this list of no names. As you were, playing monopoly.

82. Sunshine Pumper
    8:25 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I can’t wait to have a new coach with a losing record. He just needs time, and I’ll support him. 🙂

83. Smitty
    8:25 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

MacIntyre recruiting against Richt, Spurrier, Muschamp, etc?

HAHAHAHAHAH

84. Han
    8:25 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Uninspiring picks. Maybe whoever it is will come in with fire, and whatever the case, we’ll give them a little time. But if they come in and admit defeat from the beginning, saying we want to win 6 games a year, there’s gonna be an awful lot of angry people round here. Meanwhile, we’ll hear a ton of defeatist “Best we can do” crap from a lot of people, including those running this blog.

I don’t see any of those names as a homerun hire, nor have I heard any solid info that Mitch tried to get a homerun hire, unless someone can confirm he really did talk to the other Stoops (who got a big win last night).

85. SMH
    8:26 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

So….a college team can’t negotiate with an NFL coach until after the season?

Makes ya wonder how Arkansas hired Petrino away in the middle of an NFL season.

The more I read from this site, the more I realize what you guys know is exactly SQUAT

86. Bob Cobb
    8:27 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Butch Jones to Purdue is my guess.

We know right now that MacIntyre is on a certain level. We would hope that Stoops is on that level, but we don’t know because of his lack of head coaching experience.

Out of the three listed, I would hope for MacIntyre because even though he has the background of a top defensive coordinator, he is the head coach of a prolific offense. We know he can get the job done on both sides of the ball. Also, he is apparently a good recruiter (best 2012 class in a suddenly hot WAC) with deep ties to the southeast.

87. Petrino Jones & every good coach in the country
    8:27 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

We are not coming to a dump of a school like UK.

88. DoorMatt
    8:27 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Sounds like we are going for tops on the Biggest Loser list. Sheesh.

89. Chi-TownCat
    8:27 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

46 you just have to realize the fact that SDSU is in a crap conference and is playing against no higher than 2 star recruits no matter the school .. he couldn’t turn use around like that.. no covering the larger gaps in talent like the SEC

90. Joe
    8:28 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

MacIntyre recruiting against Richt, Spurrier, Muschamp, etc?
    HAHAHAHAHAH
    So aside from Petrino what UK coach IS going to be able to recruit against them? Your “point” isn’t a point at all, NO UK coach can compete against them.

And Caftan4444 shouldn’t you just move on, remember you are DONE with UK football…you are the noisiest person I have ever met who is done with something. As the song says, “How can I miss you, if you won’t stay gone?”

91. Old Henry Man
    8:29 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Missouri job just opened up, so I wonder if Macintyre will wait on them

92. Dirk
    8:30 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I want Billy Donovan!!!

93. Twill84
    8:30 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Macintyre please!! He’s the man!

94. Ares
    8:31 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Why is Anderson 4th on the list?

95. Old Henry Man
    8:32 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Jurich would have a top coach inline if he was in Barnhart’s position

96. Dave
    8:32 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

For what its worth; I watched the game last night against SJSU/LT and really wasnt impressed by either coach. Really would like the Stoops hire because of the defensive aspect and we havent had that kind of coach since Curry but we all know how taht worked out. However, Im willing to give any of these guys a chance, we really have to guys if we want to be successful remember this.

97. excited fan
    8:34 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Not excited!? Butch Jones would be a home run… and Stoops would be an awesome jumpstart for our program. You all must be brainwashed into thinking we are gonna get some crazy experienced guy and just pluck him right from wherever we please. I’m sorry but we are not a pleasant looking school right now even if we are a SEC squad. This list looks good for us, trust me.

98. Joe
    8:34 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Jurich would have a top coach inline if he was in Barnhart’s position

Guess we’ll find out if Charlie Strong leaves, won’t we?

99. Han
    8:36 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Mike MacIntyre strikes me as a risk of a BCG hire. He’s been a head coach for a couple years and done something good one year, largely with someone else’s recruits. He was also the defensive coordinator at Duke during their stellar 4-8 2008 season (1-7 in conference) and 5-7 2009 season (3-5 conference). Better than Duke used to be, true, but not world shattering. He’s also got a contract through 2017, which means buying that out.

Is he really supposed to be an exciting hire? Or Stoops? Again, maybe they’ll kill it here and Mitch and the athletic department will finally improve football resources, but I’m really hoping for a surprise big hire instead. Maybe all of this is just maneuvering to get Petrino to sign a very UK-friendly contract, or Mitch will announce an NFL name and that they’ll get some coordinators to start recruiting while the NFL name coaches out his season in the NFL.

100. Punter U
    8:37 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Mitch is missing the boat if he doesn’t go after Kingsbury. That guy is going to make some school REALLY successful, and once he has head coaching experience, there’s no way he’d come to UK. The only chance to get him is now.

DITCH MITCH

HIRE KINGSBURY

101. JT
    8:38 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

ESPN’s BCS countdown is laughing at the absurdity of Kent State being in the BCS top 25, yet losing to KENTUCKY by 33. Sad that we are a mockery. However, I believe we can reach decent levels of achievement with Stoops or MacIntyre. Regardless, UK fans needed to support our university and quite successful AD.

102. BleedingBlue79
    8:38 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Yeah, seriously why isn’t Barnhart going after Bill Belichick, or at LEAST Nick Saban?!?! This is bullcrap, fire Barnhart!

103. Onthe know
    8:38 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

MacIntyre is legit people. Great up and coming coach. If you thought we had a shot at Petrino or any other big name (Saban, Ryan,Kiffin etc) you are crazy. He will have a great new system and those coaches on the west coast are all cutting edge. They do things their way and in new ways and that is what we need. We don’t need he same all boring SEC Big Ten offense and defense philosophies. Coach from the west coast is by far the greatest thing we could hope for. We will be singing his praises one year from now I guarantee. Football will be fun again and can’t wait to see new ideas.

104. Bob Cobb
    8:40 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

100. His performance at Duke was strong enough for his peers in the American Football Coaches Association to name him the top assistant coach in college football in 2009.

105. Walter Sobchak
    8:41 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I think Macintyre is the best option. I just don’t like the idea of hiring a defensive coordinator that has had ridiculous athletes that have made his defense good (Stoops, Smart, etc.). Macintyre took a team that was absolute crap and completely turned it around. He has been the defensive coordinator at Ole Miss (recruited Patrick Willis) and has coached in the NFL.

106. flysoup
    8:41 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Under normal circumstances this would be an outstanding list, however this is not normal circumstances. Bobby Petrino wants to coach at UK. He is the best coach available. He should be hired.

107. tailg8er
    8:42 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

My best friend played at Ole Miss for MacIntyre in 1999. He told me at the beginning of the season to watch out for this guy and that he would be the next great coach. He is excited that he may come here, and so are a lot of his former teammates. They all seem to love/respect the guy. I am sold.

108. AtomicCat
    8:42 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Stoops all the way. Simple as that!

109. Han
    8:42 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

91) Not with defeatists like you everywhere we look, including in the UK administration.

UK will never improve if we expect to lose. Brooks said as much during his time. He wanted managed expectations, but he also expected to compete, damnit, not just try to weasel our way into a couple bottom rung SEC wins to sneak into a bowl game.

The fact is that even with a terrible coaching regime these last few years, we were still in a lot of games. We can’t do better? Vandy is doing much better than us. Louisville is recruiting much the same area as us (you think being in the Big East helps their football recruiting?). Yet people keep saying we can’t want to be as good or better as they are? We don’t have in-state talent? We don’t have a worthwhile program? Make it worthwhile!

Expect to be crap, resign yourself to mediocre, and you will not improve without a miracle. You’re like the basketball people who said we couldn’t get a Cal or Izzo, that we were morons for wanting better than Tubby was bothering with when we “ran him off,” and we should just take Pelphrey or Ford and be happy about being an also-ran who will never be elite again.

UK Basketball is elite. UK football is not. But to assume we will always be crap, and 6 wins in a season, maybe 7, should be our dream…why would you even bother to watch UK football if that’s your attitude? (Not just talking to you, Mr. Uses Bold Text, but everyone else saying we can’t do better.)

110. Source Close To Program
    8:42 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

None of Matt’s candidates have been confirmed by Elmo.

Where Is Elmo?

Until Elmo confirms this list I am taking it with a grain of salt!

Where Is Elmo?

111. Poppie
    8:43 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Everything I’m hearing says MacIntyre

112. tailg8er
    8:43 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I watched SJSU play last night and it was refreshing to see a team throw it 10 yards on 3rd and 8, instead of a 2 yard screen.

113. Jerry Jones
    8:43 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Rob Ryan will be unemployed soon enough.

114. burger
    8:44 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Mike MacIntyre (San Jose State)
    Overall Head Coaching Record 16—21
    9 or more Wins In A Season — 1 (2012)
    Bowls: None

Bobby Petrino (UL, Arkansas)
    Overall Head Coaching Record 75—26 (college)
    9 or more Wins In A Season — 6 (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2011)
    Bowls: Orange, Sugar, Cotton, Gator, Liberty(2), GMAC

Mitch Barnhart Swinging For The Fences!

115. Source Close To Program
    8:44 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

The Ole Ball Coach will score 75, maybe 80, against either Dykes or MacIntyre.

Where Is Elmo?

116. Jesus H. Chrysler
    8:45 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Stoops ain’t the guy.

#NoGINGERS

117. Who cares
    8:46 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

If you want to care about real football watch the nfl, stop crying and get a life and then get behind your team or go away

118. burger
    8:46 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Tom Jurich is making Mitch Barnhart look like “little brother” when it comes to big sports hires.

It’s begining to really sting

119. hirethemacattack
    8:46 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

#100 – actually the previous coaching regime at SJST got them in APR trouble and McIntyre had a loss of schollies to deal with his first couple of years. Winning in year 3 of his tenure means he is winning with his own recruits – not the previous coach’s players. The only lost to Stanford by 3 at Stanford (who beat Oregon); and they also beat Sonny Dykes’ team this year.

120. David
    8:48 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Stoops,MacIntyre,Dykes,or Anderssen. I say BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

121. Webster
    8:48 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

This post is #Mitchappointing

122. JT
    8:49 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

115- you havent looked closely. Here are the three years MacIntyre has been a HC. Look at the quick turnaround in his 3 years:

2010: 1-12
    2011: 5-7
    2012: 10-2

123. Who cares
    8:49 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Uk is probably around 20 to 35th (optimism) best job in country for football, don’t expect people to come rushing to take the job.

124. Joe
    8:50 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

What’s “defeatist?” You think that any UK coach is going to walk into a recruit’s living room and compete with Saban, UNTIL we start winning 7-8 games per season?

UK isn’t going to recruit many 4-5 Star recruits, but that doesn’t mean we can’t win. It does mean we have to EVALUATE. I mean really are you trying to tell me that anyone, besides Petrino in year One or Two of his three years, here, is going to go head-to-head with Alabama, LSU, or So. Carolina and win out? On what basis, the recruit likes basketball/horse racing?

125. Source Close To Program
    8:50 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

104…let me see, hummm…we don’t need those same old SEC offensive and defensive philosophies. Are you speaking of the same ones that have produced 6 national champions in a row? I believe we could stand a little bit of that. One thing is for sure, you cannot win in the SEC without a great defense.

126. Randomly Bold
    8:51 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

So is it a hack? A glitch? It’s kind of fun tonight, how the posts are all just
    RANDOMLY BOLD.

127. KYMOJO
    8:51 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

It doesn’t seem to be a smart strategy to hire a 3rd-tier coach. Go after the best available. Stir the interest in the job. A top coach would have said yes eventually. Whomever is hired I wish them well. I would love for UK to be relevant in the SEC year in and year out. That been said… these choices are unispiring. They will not ignite the program much less fan base.

128. My Opinion
    8:51 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I’d take Mike Leach 10 times over anyone on this list.

129. Ukalum
    8:52 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Anyone that thinks stoops isn’t a good hire look at Louisville, strong was floridas DC. And remember that Michigan(a football program a thousand times better) hired a coach from San Diego state in the MWC. This is the list we have and the best tennessee could realistically do anyway is Strong or butch jones. Wake up.

130. CatScrfvr
    8:53 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

#70. We aren’t Tennessee. Would their list if basketball candidates be the same as ours or would they hire coaches from mid-major schools?

I love reading the disappointed posts. Other than Bear Bryant 60 years ago just one of you list the big name coach we’ve had here. Have everyone of our AD’s sucked? By the definition many of you seem to you place on Barnhart, they have. We’ve only had 2 decent coaches since Bryant and Barnhart hired one of those.

131. burger
    8:53 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I’m letting this AD (Mitch) stand on his own record. 9 years and our football program is in the hands of someone I don’t trust has the DNA to make the right decision. He’s proven failed judgment over and over.

1. Giving Tubby too long
    2. Hiring Rich Brooks (history with Major NCAA recruiting violations)
    2. Hiring BCG
    3. Costing the Univeristy Millions in buying out BCG
    4. Hiring Joker as coach in waiting (hindsight shows it’s wasn’t the right hire)
    5. Costing the University Millions in buying out Joker

Mitch Barnhart is hanging by a thread that Calipari doesn’t make one wrong move in the recruiting world where our entire Athletic Department caves in. The one coach that his judgment led him to refuse 2 years earlier.

I know that’s a doomsday scenario, however there is precedent… with this coach (twice).

Mitch talks about character like it’s something he’s been cultivating. His record shows different.

132. burger
    8:53 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Kentucky Football History — Year by Year Graph

The Visual Numbers & the Facts

Where we were… where we are now.

133. BBN
    8:54 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Thanks Matt. I could be happy with MacIntyre. I still think Bobby Petrino is the best available coach but understand why schools are avoiding him. If it is MacIntyre, BBN should set aside the understandable disdain for Mitch Barnhart and give the new coach our full support.

134. Millie
    8:55 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

1 and 119 have it correct. Silver lining in any of these hires is they will be hung around Mitch’s neck. 118, fans are trying get behind the team. I still remember call in shows from the Curry era. These coaches are not going to come in here and win. Maybe no coach could win here. But, I am still willing to bet on Petrino and Mitch is making a huge mistake IMO. I realize that there are those who don’t want to hear any more about Petrino. But, you can bet that if the next coach is a failure and Petrino is somewhere else winning (which he has always done) there will be howling and you can stick a fork in our A.D.
    If M. Pratt was the A.D. and decided against Petrino, I could accept it, but not from Mitch. I don’t like him and I think he is bad for the money side and P.R. side of Kentucky sports.

135. No hack
    8:55 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

127, I think if you’re logged in you can do that…not sure.

136. Jason
    8:55 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

#115 – Couldn’t agree more.

137. Real UK Fan
    8:56 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

If Mitch can’t put together a list any better than the one mentioned in the blog the it is obviously time to find a new AD. The football program is doomed. If people think attendance was bad this past year, just wait until next year when the stadium is empty.

138. Jimmy
    8:56 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Can we hire Jurich.

139. intheknow
    8:58 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

126- understand your point but we dont have the athletes, nor will we ever have the athletes, of those SEC teams that are winning national championships. Even if Saban came here, he would not be able to recruit the same kids to UK that he can at Alabama. On the contrary, the new coach at Alabama would sign more top recruits than Saban could at UK. Could he get one or two? Yes but not the amount of athletes he can at Alabama or FLorida or Georgia. We need something fun and innovative and most west coast coaches are innovative if anything. We can at least be in games with top SEC teams and an entertaining loss vs Alabama is better than a 59-6 game anyday.

140. SexnNursinHomes
    8:58 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

The obvious answer is hiring 4 Head Coaches. We will be the first team in NCAA history to have a panel of Head Coaches. No longer will “Asst. Coaches” be needed. UK football is starting new trends. Wait and see. You heard it here first. 4 Head Coaches.

141. Joe
    8:58 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Burger when you KNOWINGLY use hindsight” as an argument you’ve lost it…IN HINDSIGHT it was a mistake letting Bear Bryant go…hindsight is 20/20. And hiring Rich Brooks, that certainly was mistake…more bowls than any other coach certainly is a mistake….

142. its about athletes
    8:58 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Those of you that think Stoops is the answer, even though he has no experience as HC, remember he will not have all the premier studs he has to coach at FL St. Do you really think he will make the UK defense respectable with the kids he will get, beating out the likes of Western, TN Tech and Toledo in the recruiting battles!?? Mitch you better scrap this list and write a HUGE check to a HUGE name, otherwise … WeareUK#

143. Old Henry Man
    8:58 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

OK, I will accept MacIntyre. I have done some reading up on him, and he could be a steal. I just hope he brings in a DC that will try, because I have giving up 50+ a game.
    Good Luck to Coach MacIntyre and I will be there in the Stands

144. All IN
    8:59 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I hear Jim Matney is leaving Johnson Central this year! Go for it Mitch!

145. burger
    8:59 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Regardless of how you might feel about Rich “Papa” Brooks now, he was not vetted. Brooks has Major NCAA recruiting violations at Oregon in 1981.

This is relevant because it shows precedent.

Barnhart hired Brooks and his flaws (program risk issues, take it) because Brooks has several factors (the most important of which is HE KNEW HIM). Brooks has NFL head Coaching experience, which helps with recruiting kids, and some success at Oregon eons ago.

Barnhart took the good with the bad for some reason. Only he could answer how Major NCAA recruiting violations are less of a character issue in hiring a coach than off the field affair and then cover up (no different than what Bill Clinton did).

This shows a significant flaw in his ability to discern program critical criteria. It also goes to show that you can forgive & forget if some wins come through the door.

146. ChiddarCheddar
    8:59 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

We got duped. The morons from “The Lair” said they were done with KSR, but they’re all over this comment section spreading their contagious joy.

147. RayRay
    8:59 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

If that is truly Mitch’s list, then he needs to just give up. Pathetic

148. Pawn star
    9:00 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Any idea on some good coordinators?

149. hai
    9:00 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

So yeah, um, this guy named GENE CHIZIK just got fired at Auburn.
    Guess who needs a job? 🙂

150. UKGrad
    9:01 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

All this negativity is unfounded and ridiculous. I trust our AD to make an informed decision, not based on what the fanbase thinks they know. If this were so easy the football program wouldn’t be historically awful. I’m on board for a change… Whoever is chosen. I for one will not make the new coaches job any harder by not supporting until given a valid reason not to.

151. yep
    9:01 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

So everyone thinks Jurich would make a great hire, huh? if I am not wrong, he did not get a head coach with experience the last time they had an opening.

152. ChiddarCheddar
    9:01 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

139) how is Jurich’s hiring of Strong any different than Mitch hiring Stoops? Please explain.

153. Just Me :(
    9:01 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I would like to get Petrino but out of all the coaches listed I hope they go with Stoops, UK needs a better defense if they want to be competitive, and hopefully he has enough sense to hire an aggressive OC. I could easily get behind Stoops with a good OC if Petrino is out of the question.

154. JV
    9:01 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

#hirepapajohn

155. Rational Realist
    9:01 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Kentucky football fans are nuttier than basketball fans. We all want Kentucky football to succeed but we’re fooling ourselves into believing the job is attractive. Similar to, say, Ole Miss basketball we are the low man on the totem poll. Folks have unrealistic expectations when it comes to Kentucky football. You can look at Purdue as an example. Similar program, similar success (or lack thereof), they just fired Danny Hope and will replace him with someone that will resemble the coach we hire. Why? Because Purdue isn’t Ohio State.

Let’s find a guy who can consistently get us 7 wins and maybe push us further in some years.

156. Red
    9:01 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

#138 – The football program has been doomed for decades. We would have been out of the SEC by now if UK basketball wasn’t a huge coup for the conference. Given the state of the program, I just think it’s unreasonable to assume that we could have gone after a top guy and hired him. It’s a double-edged sword. The program is doomed, but that doomed state is what makes us unable to land a big name. The only way we’d ever be able to land a big name is if we were able to win consistently in conference…which hasn’t happened yet.

157. Punter U
    9:03 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

So why is Stoops (no HC exp) a better hire than Kingsbury (no HC exp)???

One of them is a finalist for #1 assistant in the country (Kingsbury)…and the other one isn’t. I don’t get it.

158. Source Close To Program
    9:04 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Why don’t we engage one of the temporary employment agencies?
    That way we can change coaches whenever we want.
    They will take one back and send a new one at any time.
    No buy out clauses and the rates are cheap.

We could even change coaches during a game if we wanted.

159. Walter Sobchak
    9:04 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

156 – I’m sure Kansas State fans thought the same way before they hire Bill Snyder.

160. Ralph
    9:04 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I just don’t see Macyntire relating well to the 18 yr olds he will be recruiting… Just doesn’t appear to have the swag to really win over recruits…hope I’m wrong just my opinion

161. Bob wiley
    9:05 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Stoops would be a great hire.

162. Swag
    9:06 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

#Swag

163. ??????
    9:06 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

146, Petrino has more character flaws than an off the feild affair. heck, I don’t even hold that against him. Interviewing for a job behind your friends back, (before your friend is fired), that’s a character flaw. Quitting with games left to be played, that’s a charcter flaw.

164. Porkbuttz
    9:06 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Ugh…can we get Joker back?

165. burger
    9:06 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

#153 – ChiddarCheddar – This isn’t russian roulette.

Jurich selections keep panning out.

Mitch on the hand… has a 0-2 track record of hiring.

He doesn’t know when to fire (Tubby, BCG (gave him another year), Joker – he wanted to give Joker another year) and his hires that aren’t money (Calipari) aren’t even his hires in the first place (refused to hire Cal in 2007).

So we have reason to have no confidence in Barnhart hiring an unproven coach. He’s 0-2 @ UK.

Jurich is 2-2 BTW.

166. Bradley
    9:07 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Folks, lets separate our feelings of Barnhardt from that of the new coach. I’m fine with MacIntyre or Stoops. Dykes is a total gimmick style that won’t win SEC games at Kentucky. Petrino is the no brainer hire, but it isn’t happening. Mitch is brutal with revenue sport hires and once again he isn’t going to get the best guy available, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t support and give the new guy a chance. I’m able to support the new hire while at the same time knowing Mitch is a clown and will never again be supported by me. We can support the next coach and still say to hell with Mitch.

167. Just Me :(
    9:07 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

158) Because defense wins championships. It’s easier to hire a decent OC than it is DC (Think Joker vs. Minter). Plus, and believe me I was hoping for Petrino, Stoops has coached in the 5 star recruit fertile states of Texas and Florida. Am I saying he can draw in a lot of 5 stars? No but he has connections in those states and can hopefully steal some 4 star recruits and (fingers crossed) the occasional (and elusive) 5 star.

168. Bobby p
    9:08 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Why isn’t my phone ringing??

For all you guys that are calling for Mitch’s job because he will not hire Petrino; I have a question: Why are the other schools with a job opening not calling?! If you give a damn about the program why would you want to entrust the program to someone that has wrecked at least 3 other programs? I don’t know who is best for the program but I am confident Petrino is not the answer.

169. pump4uk
    9:08 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Wow- just wow. 18-20 record at San Jose St. in 3 years gets a head coaching job in the SEC. Barnhart needs to be taking out of the hiring process ASAP. This was a D-coord. for DUKE when they sucked worse than we do now. I thought Barny said UK was a attractive job and had a lot to offer-LOL. As far as Stoops is concerned-Barnhart thinks it worked for UofL bringing a D-coor. from the state of Florida is going to work at UK-might as well try and get Charlie Strong at least we know he can recruit(or buy) players to UK

170. Reverend Dr Carl Pathos
    9:08 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Hoping for Mike MacIntyre. Hopefully he will be announced tomorrow. Kentucky Football!

171. Walter Sobchak
    9:08 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

160) Don’t steal my name!

172. Kcmunk
    9:11 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

PETRINO Wouldn’t take the job!!!
    Mitch has a hard job. Can you imagine trying to sell someone to coach here??? It’s coaching suicide.
    I’m almost positive Stoops would even say NO. He can get a better job than UK.

173. wellllll
    9:12 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Thanks Matt for giving us list that we already knew about. Mike MacIntyre will probably get it since he was under Bill Parcells and Bill and Mitch are buddies. Basically Mitch wants a ass kisser. I don’t see either one of these guys doing crap in the SEC. Kingsbury would have been a better choice. Mitch can care less about football.

174. Eli
    9:12 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Macintyre?? Really folks?? He’s coaching in a conference where little boys play!! Do you people really think this guy is coming to the SEC and win like he is now??? Ughhhh Hell no!! That’s so funny if you think he is!! Mark Stoops has a lot more Real Estate to recruit than this clown. Out of the coaches listed above Stoops is by far UK’s best chance to make a complete turnaround.

175. JT
    9:12 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

170- go look at post 123

176. burger
    9:13 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

#164 – ??????? –

If you didn’t read Joe B Hall’s take on what Petrino faced down in Atlanta then you can’t make a full assessment of what happened.

Petrino wanted to punish some big name players and the owner wouldn’t let him. Even though he was told when he was hired that he would be allowed to handle discipline issues.

They changed the game under his feet. I say by him leaving and not flagging the Falcon dirty laundry in the air shows quite a bit of character. It all depends on what you know.

Also, as far has taking interviews, no one with an ounce of credibility would hold that against Petrino. Big business, hires and fires. Petrino wasn’t doing anything to his friend. The boss of his friend was looking elsewhere. All coaches know one another. That is petty that you even mention it as a character issue. When you don’t lock your job down with hard work (character), then your employer has a right to look elsewhere.

177. Steve Spurrier
    9:14 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I personally would welcome Mike MacIntyre into the SEC with open arms. Would be great news if true.

178. wellllll
    9:15 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

176. true, but Kentucky fans are tired of waiting 3 damn years to have a good record or go even to go to some crappy bowl game. Mitch should have hired a big name like he said. Someone who could win now! Fans will say screw it and UK will keep losing money.

179. burger
    9:15 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

#169 – Bobby p – “Wrecked 3 other programs”?

How about talk straight up instead of spreading all these lies.

180. Bradley
    9:15 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

166. Kragthorpe??? Mitch is terrible, but Jurich has a cake job. It’s easier to get top up and coming coaches to come to UL than UK. Not because UL is any better, but because its so easy to win there and then get a bigger job. If UK and UL both had identical rosters and the exact same coach that comprised the 40th most talented roster in America UK would go 6-6 and UL would go 11-1 or 12-0. It’s just really easy to win there with the schedule being so terrible. Charlie Strong is a perfect example. The guy is a very mediocre coach and is a lock to be fired within 4 years from his next job. I guarantee it.

181. UKClint73
    9:16 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

We need that moneyball guy!

182. it just doesnt matter
    9:16 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Pick the best coach from that list. Are any of them under 95-1 to get UK in Atlanta for the SEC Championship? Easy answer, No way!

183. ChiddarCheddar
    9:17 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Burger – fair enough, but on paper Strong and Stoops look nearly identical. Btw, I checked out some the UL boards after their loss yesterday and they are wanting Strong gone, blasting his game-coaching. Nuts.

184. WERUK
    9:18 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Only UK football fans wouldnt like or support a coach like MacIntyre thats in the BCS Top 25..SMH

185. Joe
    9:19 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Because all he had to do was get a big name to come here…and I SHOUDDA won the Powerball last week, too.

186. SeoulCat
    9:20 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Well, if this is the list, give me Mark Stoops. He’s a helluva DC, and if he can recruit (or find someone who can), he will win in Lexington. I can get behind this hire. If Butch Jones gets the nod, I will tune out UK football until someone else fills the position (Butch “.500 in the Big East” Jones WILL NOT, CAN NOT win at UK).

187. Sources Close To Program
    9:20 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

158, Punter U, you have it correct.
    The Kid is one sharp young guy.
    He can baffel Saban and Bama but that isn’t good enough for us.

I believe he is the next super star head coach.

188. Sources Close To Program
    9:23 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Matt is trying to get in touch with Elmo to confirm the list.
    Until that happens I am not taking stock in his list.

Where is Elmo?
    Find Elmo and you find the coach?

189. Rational Realist
    9:23 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Folks always use Bill Snyder as an example. Dont u think every mediocre program hopes to become Kansas State. Who was Bill Snyder when KSU hired him? Whose to say one of these guys isnt another Snyder?

190. Buckets
    9:23 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Yawn. Looks like we’ll continue being the doormat of the SEC.

191. burger
    9:23 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

#181 – Bradley – Good point. Kragthorpe was a Jurich wiff.

So let’s get those rankings updated…

When an AD Picks A Coach That Isn’t Known Home Run (Calipari, Pitino)

AD ………………… Coach Panned Out …………. Coach Didn’t Pan Out
    Jurich …………………. 2 (Petrino, Strong) ………. 1 (Kragthorpe)
    Barnhart ……………….. 0 …………………………… 2 (BCG, Phillips)

Jurich is much better at vetting a coach. It’s really not even close.

“Little Brother AD” is at the wrong school.

192. georgetownluke
    9:24 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Some of you people amaze me being so negative about Mitch Barnhart. Football is not the only sport at UK. His hires in many of the sports have been very successful and brought those sports to levels they have never seen or not seen for some time. Jurich is so hot? He wanted to keep Pitino so badly that he probably fronted him the “insurance premium” money! He liked Petrino a lot too! Apparently he finally factored in character when he hired Strong. As one comment said, if Barnhart leaves it will be because he left for another job or he reached retirement age. I think his boss likes the job he is doing.

193. Paul (Bear) Bryant
    9:25 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

DAMN, same ole UK BULLSHIT !!!

F#CK the men’s football team, and suck tit with da men’s basketball team..

Y’all never gona learn, are ya boy’s?

194. Jackson Purchase
    9:25 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

MacIntyre would be a good hire for UK, from Florida and is the son of a coach. Stoops is from Ohio so he could help get a foot in the door in the state of Ohio. Maybe we can get a home and home series against brother Bobby at Oklahoma. Either Mac or Stoops would be a good hire for UK.

195. Robic
    9:26 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

@4 and Kidd-Gilchrist took the 4th most shots on the team and they were selected 1 and 2 in the draft

196. Mike
    9:27 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Hang in there gang…..Remember…anyone on any of the above lists has to be head and shoulders better than us being saddled with the Joker. He had no solid coaching credentials at all. He was just a nice guy and u know where they finish….and he did.

197. NortheSJSSID

Idaho
    BYU

Three losses:
    Stanford
    Utah State (Anderson)
    LA Tech (Dykes)

I think it’s admirable that he won 10 games. Maybe there’s even a quality win there in BYU. Interesting that he lost head-to-head to two other coaches in the hunt.

198. Paul (Bear) Bryant
    9:29 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Get ready for some more @ss wopin’s, ya’ ll hea?

199. burger
    9:30 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Since Mitch Barnhart is a failure at picking “unknown” coaches, he shouldn’t be allowed to do it.

He should only be allowed to go after known good head coaches with records that prove they can fit UK’s needs.

He was given several chances (at the tune of almost 6 Million in buyouts) to play the game of vetting unknown coaches and failed both times. This is not up for debate. He can’t pick unknown coaches.

Yet his past shows that if he’s allowed to pick one, he’ll go to his grave in saving them (letting them stay too long to prove his choice was good).

We are doomed here if this isn’t a lottery winning pick.

What a tragedy that our Football program has come to this. Going all or nothing with a proven loser.

200. Katdaddy
    9:31 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

We have too many BB DAs on this site. Petrino is dogshat. Stoops would be an awesome hire with the recruiting connections in FL and the southeast. Jimmy and Joes people!! Bring in someone like Neal Brown as OC and look out! Put the committment into FB/facilities and the next few years could be a blast!

201. Strongs Defense
    9:32 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Strongs defense sucks… and he was THE defensive coach to hire. U da L should have at least 2 or 3 more losses with their cupcake schedule. Strong has not been great at U da L….. his schedule has been lipstick on the pig

202. Paul (Bear) Bryant
    9:32 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

All I got from UK was a [email protected] cigarette lighter..
    What do you think Barnfart is gonna do for y’all?

203. BigHint
    9:33 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Wonder why Matt Jones put up that pic of the SJSt coach I stead of Elmo, Stoops or Jones?

204. Paul (Bear) Bryant
    9:33 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

A whupping is coming… Get ready

205. Big Dog
    9:35 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Longtime coach and highly respected (did you hear that Mitch?)Jack Haskins is set to be the coach at the new McCracken County high. We would be better off to steal him IMHO.

206. Catscrfvr
    9:37 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

198. SJSU beat LaTech.

207. Linda Taylor
    9:37 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

198 – Check your stats again, he won the game against La Tech. He only lost to Stanford by 3 points and Stanford beat Oregon so that loss doesn’t look so bad. I haven’t decided which coach I like best, I just like to see accurate stats when judging a coach.

208. CM Newton
    9:38 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

198. SJSU beat La Tech last night.

209. Mike
    9:38 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

198. Have you been drinking much tonight?? You seem to have a major problem with basic MATH

210. burger
    9:39 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Matt Jones said, “Plus, the so-called “NFL guy” is now also unlikely, primarily because…”

this was all bull$#!+ in the first place. All the Barnhart Supporters need to open their eyes to the crap they’ve been fed.

This time they didn’t even leak a name. Like it never even happened… HELLO!

211. Bob Cobb
    9:39 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

198 It is interesting because you’re wrong. Mac beat Dykes. Mac is 10-2.

212. hey
    9:43 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

This the SEC, not some week ass conference, if Mac comes here its going to take forever to even have a decent season, And if UK does make it to a bowl it will be because we beat the usual sucky teams on the schedule. And some UK fans will be dumb enought to waste thier money going to a crappy bowl game because they just settle for anything. I am sorry but I am so tired of being the laughing stock in the SEC. Piss on Mitch.

213. The Other Noel
    9:44 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Of these four, my list would be:

Top Choice
    1.) Stoops

Acceptable
    2.) McIntyre
    3.) Dykes

Unacceptable
    4.) Anderson

Stoops is the closest thing we can get to a home run hire on this list. He is one of the top DC’s in the country(and is in the same class as Kirby Smart and Bob Diaco), is an outstanding recruiter, has connections all over the country, and IMO has the highest ceiling of the coaches on this list.

To me, the ONLY BIG QUESTION with Stoops is who will be the Offensive Coordinator? If you bring in Stoops, you need a proven OC that knows how to call plays and scheme against top notch defenses. To me, we had one of the worst OC’s in the country in Randy Sanders. He was a great guy and I wanted to pull for him, but at the end of the day we can’t bring in another flop like Sanders at OC. If he can make an effective hire at OC, the sky is the limit if you bring in Stoops.

214. Wildcat Temporary manpower
    9:44 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

We have coaches available at cheap rates, $89 per day.
    No perks, no hassel.
    You can change coaches anytime you want…just let us know and we will send you another qualified coach.
    We can even send a new coach or OC/DC in the middle of a game…just need 10 minutes notice.

Resumes available upon request, however given the list of announced candidates, apparently that is not a requirement.

215. Dude
    9:44 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

If Mike F-ingMacintyre is hired at Kentucky I will NEVER attend another UK football game again and obviously won’t renew my season tickets.

216. Dude
    9:46 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Joker Phillips> Mike Macintyre. True story.

217. Big John
    9:47 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

It’s just dumb not to consider Petrino. If not try Strong, that would stir things up.

218. Larry
    9:47 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

That list makes me sad. I don’t understand why not go with a proven winner that has stated he wanted the job regardless of $. His own family wants him there. Come on Mitch. Why not grow some nuts? I’m tired of this playing it safe crap. I wonder what choice Cal would make.

219. NottheSJSSiD
    9:48 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

208. My bad on La Tech…missed that one.

No doubt he can coach I just think there are stronger candidates still out there.

220. Keith
    9:49 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I’ve been following UK football since John Ray’s last year, in1972. 40 years later, and I have to come to terms that I won’t live to see Kentucky ever field a true SEC contender. I know a lot of folks, including the AD, have doubts about Petrino, but he is probably the only one who could give UK a legitimate shot at competing in the SEC. After looking at the remaining names, I don’t believe any of them are capable of fielding a team that could defeat Florida. The longest losing streak in college football will go on, and on. Not to say Petrino would give UK any serious interest, but he would probably give us the best chance to compete.

221. burger
    9:50 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Several typos fixed…

Kentucky Football History — Year by Year Graph

The Visual Numbers & the Facts

Where we were… where we are now.

222. No Wait
    9:50 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Oh wait, Matt must have mistyped. This is actually the Morehead State list!

223. NottheSJSSiD
    9:50 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

210. Why, yes. I have had 4 drinks…no wait 5 drinks.

224. J Cat
    9:52 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

If this is the best Mitch can do then he has to go now. We are never going to be anything but a bottom feeder in football. We had a unique opportunity to hire someone that could get us into the top tier but Mitch was too stubborn to offer Bobby Petrino.

225. burger
    9:52 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

#215 – LMAO

226. bob the replier
    9:53 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

#190 To answer your question, Bill Snyder is the guy who hired the Stoop brothers to build a winning program.

227. Jason
    9:53 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

This….is sad. Stoops? Macintyre? C’mon. I’m very high on Sonny Dykes, but that’s because he brings something that none of these guys bring: a legitimately exciting brand of football. Face it, we can’t recruit against Alabama or Florida. We can’t match, oh, any one else in the SEC on facilities. But the one thing we could do is get kids excited about playing in a system that’s fun. Sorry, I doubt that the DC Stoops, from Florida State (fresh off of giving up 37 to UF, whom we see yearly, mind you), is going to do anything fun. Likely? We run a program exactly like we’ve gotten out from under: a pro style crap offense and attempting to be a stout defensive team. We’re not going to out-SEC the SEC, boys. Macintyre? You mean “First Winning Season” Macintyre? I’m impressed he saved that school, but he’s also in a recruiting hot bed in California. It was very savable. This….is not a recruiting hot bed.

Dykes is the one guy on that list that can win here, I feel. If we hire Stoops, I think you can kiss the next 3-5 seasons goodbye. I think Macintrye may be able to get us to 6 wins. Big f’n deal. I think Dykes can win 8 here. I’m not saying we’re an SEC contender, but I think we can make just enough noise to pretend we’re a real school at football once again. I’m going to be quite upset with the other two, after all the noise Barnhardt made about getting the “right guy”. All those guys are, are the 2nd options of everyone else.

228. burger
    9:55 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

#219 – Larry – Can we just go ahead and promote Calipari to Athletic Director / Head Basketball Coach?

It’s not like it would detract from his regular job duties. Demote Barnhart to Assistant AD, where he can take care of the wonderful Olympic sports legacy…

And let Cal recruit us a home run for Football (that takes care of itself).

229. The Miz
    9:56 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Kliff Kingsbury to UK, anyone else with me?

230. Jason
    9:57 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I will say, as much as people may want Petrino….face it…he was never an option. He never wanted to be here, just like the AD never wanted him here.

I would have been behind the hire, but his eyes are much, much higher than the UK job.

231. burger
    9:57 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

#224 – NottheSJSSiD – LMAO… Make that enough to know Barnhart is a buffoon.

Outclassed even by little brother.

232. hey
    9:57 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

230 I am.

233. Jason
    9:58 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Text from source tonight: “If you attend a press conference this week: Anderson, Dykes or MacIntyre.

– Kyle Tucker

24/7 has the same list.

Looks like it’s coming down to these three.

234. snarkster
    9:59 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Stoops – mainly would depend on who he brings as a staff. Love the bloodlines.

McIntyre – of the group, he or Stoops would be my pick. Has SEC and souther recruiting exposure (which is a plus) but still really stepping up in class. While he’s 1b in this grouping, still a tier 3 hire in my book and a fail by Barnhart when if comes to the overall search

Anderson – solid coach and solid system, but like McIntyre, a big step up in class and all of his jobs have been out west. I would be very worried about his recruiting contacts in the south and that makes him riskier than McIntyre or Stoops, IMO.

Dykes – never been a fan. Don’t think he offense will be as potent in the SEC and his complete lack of defense would lead to embarrassment on a weekly basis, IMO. Don’t like Franklin. Not sure Mitch would let him come, don’t know how much of Dykes’ success hinges on him if he doesn’t.

Jones – hope he changes his mind – he would be my pick of this litter. followed by Stoops or McIntyre. Not thrilled by any of them.

235. for the love of GOD
    10:01 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Please hire kingsberry

236. burger
    10:01 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

#231 – Jason – That’s pure speculation based on zero.

There was plenty for us to think he was interested (his dad talking, him wanting to be in the SEC).

It really was the perfect fit for us both. People would in time forgive him for his mistakes (just like they did Rick Brooks, Rick Pitino, & Bill Clinton).

Considering his age, there’d really be no reason to jump ship as Lexington is a cozy town for people to settle into.

237. Jason
    10:03 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

@ 235

On one hand, I agree, it makes me wonder if Dykes offense could suceede here. But you have to remember, he’s running a variant of Hal Mumme’s airraid, which did work here. Secondly, he was able to throw up 57 on a Texas A&M team that beat Alabama. Third, we’re watching A&M run a very non-pro style offense to amazing success with a Freshman at the helm in the SEC right now. Based on these three things, I have no doubt in my mind his offense would succeed to the point of getting us to constant bowl games.

I think his defense needs help. But don’t forget, just last year he lead his conference in defense and they’ve had multiple defensive starters bow out to injury this year.

238. jeff Garlin
    10:04 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

192. You forgot to add Cal. National Cahampionships: Barnhart 1 Jurich 0

239. Big J
    10:05 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Barnhart has dropped the ball once again. His delay with the hiring process has cost us.
    Numerous job openings now. All we get is the leftovers. How does he keep his job.

240. burger
    10:05 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I blame Mitch Barnhart for the puke that’s all over the floor

241. Source Close To Program
    10:05 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

230…I am for sure.
    Kingsbury is best out there.

242. burger
    10:06 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

#239 – jeff Garlin – Ever heard of Steeplechase?

Barnhart 1
    Jurich 1

I kid you not… L yeah

243. Jason
    10:07 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

@ 237

And it’s pure speculation based on nothing but media comments that he wants to be here. We all should not be so naive to think if someone said it on TV, that it must be true. In the end, we have zero knowledge to go on, and just speculation, But all you have to do is pretend you were Bobby Petrino.

Think about it. You’re Bobby Petrino. Do you want this job? When you could have Auburn? I’m a die hard UK football fan. I love our football team more than I love the basketball team, to give you some idea of where I stand on UK Football. And if I got offered Auburn and UK and had to chose, I’m taking the Auburn job every day and twice on Sunday.

Petrino may have fallen back on the UK job had nothing else come up, but I think we all know he’s going to get something better. If one school is thinking about it, you can sure another is.

244. burger
    10:08 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

#244 – Jason – But media comments and quotes from an individual are 2 different things.

245. UKjerky
    10:10 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Will definitely renew my season tickets for Dykes, or Macintyre. If Stoops gets the job, I would hope he gets an OC with an air raid like offense.
    Saban and Sumlin would tell you that a gimmick offense works pretty well in the SEC.

246. The Other Noel
    10:11 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

228 – I don’t know how you could say that about Stoops. Of the four coaches listed here, he is far and away the best recruiter and its not even close. He also happens to be one of the top Defensive Coordinator’s in the country. He’s been a Defensive Coordinator for 9 years (6 years at Arizona and now 3 years at FSU).

Stoops was a DB coach at Miami (FL) for 3 years and has been the DC at Florida State for 3 years…..he understands winning (was a part of the 2001 National Championship at Miami) and he has lots of connections in the South and Ohio.

If you can get Stoops, I don’t know you pass on him. He is a home run hire for a school like UK. If you paired Stoops with a stud OC, what more could you ask for?

247. Punter U
    10:12 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

230 I’m with you, Kingsbury would be the best option available right now, that kid will be making someone’s program look very good in another year or two.

248. Jason
    10:12 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

@ Burger.

No they’re not. They’re things that have been said for a reason. There are two reasons people say things in the media: 1) Because they’re true and 2) Because they are using the media. Petrino’s father could have simply thought he was helping get his son’s name in the press by saying “Oh yeah, he’s interested in the UK job”.

I’m sure you’ve heard the dreaded vote of confidence an AD gives his coach. The old “we’re fully behind ’em!” comment? What happens 1 week later? Last year, Denver’s owner professed his love for Josh McDainiels as a coach. In 10 days, he was fired. Just as I didn’t believe him, I won’t put full faith in Petrino’s fathers’ comments. In the end…Petrino may have wanted this job. Or he didn’t. I really don’t think we were his first, second, or third choice.

249. Source Close To Program
    10:13 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

245, burger, Matt tried to throw everyone off during Friday night post game show.
    He dismissed the Petrino hire as rumor, blaiming Elmo and son.

I say…Where Is Elmo?
    Find Elmo and you will find the coach close by.

Where Is Elmo?

250. burger
    10:15 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

#244 — Jason — When your Bobby Petrino:

Absolutely yes – you want the UK job.
    1. Your Bobby Petrino – What Makes You Tick Is Different Than Most People. You can win anywhere. You like challenges and have success and a resume that carries you into big name recruits front doors.
    2. If you take the Auburn job, they might fire you 2 years after you win them a National Championship.
    3. If you have a down year (and Petrino down years are 6-6, check his record) the fan base loves you because that’s been party time for them for decades.
    4. You can get paid close to what Auburn might pay you while have half the risk of not meeting expectation.

Use your brain here. This guy can win anywhere and he knows it. You on the other hand don’t think you could win at UK, so that clouds your judgment.

251. Big O
    10:17 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Whaf’s all the fuss about. Other than UK football carrying the pay load for other athletic programs (mostly because of the tv revenue split for being a little bro in the SEC), when fall rolls around again, UK football will still be UK football. Plain and simple. Will not be able to bring in the type and numbers of athletes to compete- no matter who will gets paid! Definition of UK football? Answer- something to do until basketball seasons starts.

252. Jimnasium68
    10:17 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

What about Notre Dame’s DC Diakio? Hell of a defense.

253. Jason
    10:18 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I don’t doubt Stoops is a winner. I don’t think he can win at UK. I really, and truly believe that. Just like I thought Kirby Smart couldn’t. I think they could win at a program recruits would want to go to. But I don’t think recruits want to come here. Why would you at this point, chose UK over, any of the other SEC schools? Poor facilities. Fan base who, sadly, has extremely low standards.

In the end, I don’t trust a coach to come in here, and run us like a Florida State or an Alabama. You’ll be recruiting their dregs. We’ll never have the defense to stack up, we’ll never have the offense to stack up. We’ll be a four win team. For years.

I think the only way to get us on the map is to make us exciting. I really, and truly, don’t think Stoops makes us exciting. On that list, I find him to be the most boring name. The most boring future. Maybe I’m wrong. I very well could be. But I think if you come in here, and try to run this like you would a pro-style team, you’re going to end up with a 4-5 win team, and a doormat of the SEC. We, simply, cannot recruit and play with the South Carolinas, the Floridas, the Georgias and the Alabama’s in that style.

254. ukfaninohio
    10:18 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

We make so much fun of louisville because of what pitino did with many uk fans saying he should be fired.But with petrino it’s ok that he hired his mistress and probably had sex with her all over arkansas.Petrino is not saban he wins leaves has motorcycle accidents and cheats on his wife. Let’s stop building this guy up so much and support whoever our next coach is!

255. One of UK’s few football bright spots, Randall Cobb, is playing right now! Green Bay is being taken to the woodshed by the Giants, however.

256. burger
    10:19 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

#249 – Jason – So now your using speculation on top of speculation to explain something?

2 degrees of zero still equals zero.

We know the Petrino family showed interest. That’s a fact.

Be a nonbeliever if you want, or think nothing anybody says is worth considering, but that leaves you even more in the dark than anyone else. I’m weighing information that is substantial. Petrino is a steal and Barnhart should listen to his fanbase and get him here.

257. Where’s the late night post on the football coach we were promised?

258. Jason
    10:21 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

@ Burger

I think you’re giving your own reasons for why Petrino would want to come here through UK-tinted glasses. Very easy to do.

Every one of those reasons would be what I’d expect Barnhardt to pitch.

Why would I go anywhere else? The fan base is at it’s lowest point here. The facilities, comparatively, suck. And it’s a hell of a lot more work to fix. At Auburn, you show up, you get the Alabama-Auburn rivalry, and recruiting is not only a breeze, but you’ve got a rabid fan base.

Yeah, sure, maybe you get fired, but you said it yourself, he can win anywhere…why would he get fired at Auburn if he can win?

Auburn’s a far and away a better job than UK. For anyone. Sadly. But it’s true.

259. Jason
    10:22 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I don’t disagree Petrino should have been looked at.

I’m just disagreeing on the likelihood he was coming here. It sucks we didn’t look at him, but I never expected him to want this as more than a fall back job to begin with.

260. burger
    10:24 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

ukfaninohio – All while you make it appear as if Petrino is still cheating on his wife.

Use past tense, unless that was intentional in helping support your agenda.

I guess you never made a mistake. Bill Clinton did EXACTLY the same thing as Bobby Petrino yet didn’t lose his job.

UK fans are responsible for 95% of the mockery of Petrino in the first place. Why? Because he’s an exCard. Exactly the reason we overhype Pitino transgressions. I’s just another way to stick it to lil brother.

261. Linda Taylor
    10:24 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

258 – It’s posted.

262. J A Brooks
    10:24 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Please research coaches before bashing them. You can find as many examples of a certain type of hire not working out… that isn’t proof ofaanything. For every OC that was a bad hire there was an OC that was a good hire etc.

99% of us are not keen football minds and don’t have a clue who is qualified so why do we pretend we are?

263. burger
    10:25 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Jason – Go back to speculating. Your much better at that than understanding how others think.

264. Steve
    10:30 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

After the hire is made you will either be a supporter or you won’t.

If you choose to not support UK Football then you, and your thoughts, are not welcome any more.

Bitch about Mitch (i will) but you either support the football program or you don’t. If you do not then move on……

265. Theban
    10:32 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Well Mitch looks like the ticket ban continues hahaha

266. UKGrad04
    10:35 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I, for one, could live with any name on this list. I agree with Jason that Stoops is the most boring name–and I lived in Oklahoma for two years and have the utmost respect for the Stoopses and would love to hear that clipped, up and down Stoops cadence in the postgame pressers. The fact is none of us know how well he can manage a program because he hasn’t done it.

But that’s the key. We just need a *motivated* coach who can come in and put his system in place and attract a quality staff. That’s what a HC does. Look at what Brian Kelly just did at ND. He came in as a spread ‘n shred coach, but the Irish are going to the NC because their defense gives you yards between the 30s and keeps you out of the end zone. Why? Because he hired Bob Diaco to run his defense. Which means Brian Kelly knew that at Notre Dame he couldn’t run the Cincinnati offense and try to win every game 56-49. He came in and managed the program. That’s what you’re looking for here–and anywhere really. Someone who understands the position of the program, sees the talent, and stays true to his system with caveats in mind.

For another example, you can also see Brady Hoke at Michigan (some of you will actually be able to discern my identity based on this). He’s a defensive coach who runs a pro-style offense. But he inherited the most dynamic QB in college football. So, he allows Greg Mattison to commandeer the defense (which improves tenfold) while making sure Al Borges (the OC) tailors a game plan to allow Denard Robinson to flourish. The result? 2012 Sugar Bowl and a B1G title if Denard doesn’t get hurt against Nebraska. Next year, the Michigan offense will look more like something Jim Harbaugh would run than the Rich Rodriguez hybrid spread it’s been the last couple years. Because Brady Hoke came in and managed the program–in its entirety.

Summation: these are the factors Barnhart is looking at. And he’s right to avoid short-term knee-jerk reactions by the fan base. I’ve been waiting a while to make this post because this fan base is so woefully football-illiterate (there are people still seriously pushing Tressel), and I don’t mean any disrespect, but this Petrino (or whoever) or bust mentality is nothing more than the rants of a lazy, disinterested fan base.

267. 262, thanks! Just read it. It’ll be interesting.

268. (contd) to see who gets the job.

269. Burger is a tool
    10:54 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

Everyone out there calling for Barnharts head and stating they are so disappointed in him for this list: this is NOT Mitch Barnharts list. This is Matt Jones’s list. And Matt Jones is an idiot, he is scrambling to put news on this site and is writing whatever he has heard from mystery sources. It’s not like Mitch is calling Matt Jones to keep him informed on the search. You are an idiot if you think that.

Go Cats.

270. Bluecat
    11:11 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

When is ul, clint hurtt going to be on trial for illigally recruiting Bridgewater and all those other players in Miami? whats up with that
    anyway?

271. greg
    1:18 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

reliable Cincinnati sources say butch jones was offered and basically laughed at the offer. He considered it a step down from where he is now.

272. Aaron Craft's Rosacea
    8:42 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

Fire Mitch, hire Jeremy Foley.

273. Millie
    8:57 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

270, Matt is not an idiot. He’s just passing on info to the fans. He can’t help it if it’s not information that most of the fans want to hear. These potential candidates are BORING (Yawn and Yawn some more) and that is not going to combat the apathy that has taken hold of UK football. We need a exciting hire to shake things up and get recruits attention. Barnhart isn’t going to do that. I’m sure he’ll hire a coach without a contract and spend the next four years working out the details. All the while telling fans that have spent the past twenty years wasting their time and money on the program that they aren’t “real” fans if things don’t go well. Which I am rightly or wrongly anticipating. I loathe Barnhart. If Mike Pratt were A.D. and he said no on Petrino, I could accept it. But, not from the current Jack Ass we have as A.D. Jurich makes him look so pathetically weak. I simply can’t stand him. But 270, that’s not Matt’s fault. I will get excited when we get a new A.D.

274. SNED RAW
    9:27 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

Jeff Snedegar for head coaching job!! I feel confident that he would have the character and intensity to get our program back on track. I feel that he would bring Dave Gin, Grayson Smith, and John Radar as assistants as well. I know Jeff is holding out 48hrs for Mitch to contact him.