Happy Tuesday, friends…
Auburn University, where secret texts are unnecessary
Bristol Palin’s son in his UK shirt on Dancing With the Stars (via John Clay’s blog)
Football notes from Steve Spurrier’s press conference
– Coming off an upset of the nation’s top team, Spurrier called this week’s game “one of the biggest games in school history”. I’m not sure which Jedi mind trick he’s using with that quote, but I’m pretty sure it’s extremely untrue. Considering what they did last week and that the Gamecocks haven’t won an SEC road game since 2008, maybe he’s right.
– Spurrier also continued to downplay his team’s success and said that Kentucky is capable of beating them and should have beaten them last year. Spurrier used his Spurrier-ness to say things like “fortune smiled on us for one week” and joked that he’s not doing any national interviews until the end of the season. It’s clear he’s trying to take the week-to-week focus to his team hard.
– Spurrier also spent time praising his offensive line coach, Shawn Elliott, who overcame a kidney issue to knock down a 21-footer in the 1999 NBA Finals. Elliott’s unit (no Favre) has been instrumental in helping the Gamecocks turn the corner they’ve been loitering on for about a decade. UK’s defensive line will have their work cut out for them this weekend.
– On a non-UK note, The Ole Ball Coach got a good Tennessee zinger into his press conference, saying that his team plays 11 guys at a time, which, in his words, “isn’t easy to do”. Boom! Suck on that, Dooley.
– Spurrier also took some time to give the Gamecock mascot a birthday cake. I guess he’s turning 30. Well, congratulations. Sorry Matt missed you on the News and Views today,