Two ESPN guys predict Shabazz to UNLV

I don’t know ESPN’s Jason Jordan or Ronnie Flores personally, nor have I ever heard of them, but they both have a prediction for Shabazz Muhammad’s recruitment. The two ESPNHS reporters compiled 12 predictions for 2012 and they believe Shabazz will stay in Vegas for his one year of college ball:

12. Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas) swingman Shabazz Muhammad, the No. 1 recruit in the ESPNU 100, will make fans in his hometown rejoice by choosing to stay home and play college basketball for the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

My prediction: They are just taking a stab in the dark.

I don’t like anything that suggests Shabazz won’t be in Lexington.

[ESPN: 12 bold High School hoops projections for 2012]

Article written by Drew Franklin

45 Comments for Two ESPN guys predict Shabazz to UNLV

1. Space between John Hods jersey and chest
    4:04 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

What the Shabazz!

2. PutThatOnDeAndreLiggins
    4:04 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Can he shoot free throws?

3. Enquiring Minds
    4:04 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Why post two dumbass opinions??????

4. One local guy predicts
    4:06 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Shabazz will regret not being on UK’s championship team next year.

5. hersheyisabear
    4:09 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Noway he goes to UNLV.

6. Mr Schwump
    4:12 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

So what tells you they are taking a stab in the dark? Trick knee?

7. KDOGG10
    4:18 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

I have more issues with prediction number 10 on their list than the #12 about Shabazz. I had rather have #8 hanging in the rafters at Rupp than number 1 hanging around for 1 year.

8. Calipari'sInYourEar
    4:20 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Besides sports scores, bracketology, and a straight up Andy Katz reporting, ESPN produces nothing but marketing driven link click seeking garbage.

Pat Forde, Dana O’Neill, Skip Bayless, Jemele Hill, Colin Cowherd, Michael Wilbon, Bobby Knight, Woody Paige, Dan LeBatard, Mike Lupica, Stephen A. Smith, Craig James (and his son @ Texas Tech), Lou Holtz, Kirk Herbstreet

Can you imagine if this group covered anything other than sports? The network would fold in minutes.

Really, I think people WAY over used the name douchebag. Before you ever use the term again, remember this list of people. Realize that it takes far more douchery to achieve this level of suckass.

Don’t dillute the name, as we need something distinct and clearly appropriate to call these people.

9. blueink
    4:24 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

the latest edition of HotClicks on SI.com has a pic of Serena Williams of women’s tennis in a Kentucky Basketball tee … is there some connection to Big Blue i am unaware of ?

10. Musehobo
    4:29 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

-8- Agreed those people are losers. But there are some good ones too….Van Pelt…Berman.

11. DHo
    4:31 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

They be talking’ out their azzzzz.

Throwing stuff at the wall and see what sticks.

12. MillerTime
    4:40 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

I’m calling B.S.

13. Me
    4:41 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Cal should schedule ucla and unlv next year, just in case bazz doesn’t come here. That way, Cal can show the young man – first hand – how biga mistake he made.

#9 – Serena must know the power of the BIG BLUE NATION. Everyone is try’n to get a little love from us. Hell, Ice-T (or who ever that rapper was the other day), will probably sell more of his next album in KY than any other state. (I know, Jay-Z)

14. phrakture
    4:41 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Why is everyone saying next year’s team will be a let down? Willie Cauley, Alex Poythress, Ryan Harrow, Archie Goodwin, that’s a stellar group and we’re not even done yet….

15. Janet
    4:41 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Weren’t the “experts” predicting that Poythress would end up going to Memphis and look where he landed? I’m with #1 and want the Shabazz!

16. Laker Cat 18
    4:42 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

I’ve never heard of these 2 jokers from ESPN. Predictions like this is probably why.

17. SexnNursinHomes
    4:49 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

16- winner winner.

I’d rather their thoughts on Bod Predictions 2012.

Do you think Cameron Diaz’s new beach body is a yay or nay? What about Kirstie Alley losing 20 lbs before this summer? Will tori Spelling eat here kids and will it go to her thighs??

18. BrooksBrothers
    4:54 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Not trying to say that I have a better scoop than anyone else, but one of my fraternity brothers went to Bishop Gorman and his younger brother goes there now. He said that right now, (in a nutshell) the feeling at the school is that he will go to Kentucky. Just throwing that out there.

19. PUNT PUNT
    4:58 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

20. nolablue
    5:00 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

I’m just now listening to the radio show.

This link is for Annie:

I ain’t jokin’. I ain’t tryin’ to make fun. ‘Lady needs some help
    and some support.

BBN gotcha back, girl. Get yourself well!!!

21. Mark Wilson
    5:03 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

WE NEED SHABAZZ …..This is a name i must continue seeing on tweet beat

22. Mark Wilson
    5:04 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

#7- YOU ARE DEAD ON MY MAN…Sorry i know caps are kinda scary but i want to make my point

23. UKGoBigBlue
    5:07 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Shabazz seems like an insecure kid with an insecure ego, he constantly needs love & he loves holding out getting his ass kissed. This kid has to go where he can be the man & get all the attention, and at UCLA or UNLV he can be the man. UCLA & UNLV suck, he would have to be out of his mind to go to either school, but I seriously doubt he comes to UK. Why he even flirted with Duke is nuts when he clearly doesn’t fit in Coach K system. Just make a decision already !

24. Shabazz That's Sha'bozz
    5:08 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

I have tiny feet

25. TheColoradoWildcat
    5:11 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

#18 – Hope your connections are better then those of ESPN….and that probably would not take too much. Actually, I would guess that there are valid reasons why a youngster, or the parents, could desire to be associated with another coach, or university….but really?…I am hard pressed to think of any.

I mean, if you have the grades, the personality, and the talent to play for Coach Cal…to go ANYwhere else is just costing you $$$$$ at the next level. Despite what some in the “lame”-stream media say, Coach Cal can flat-out coach and develop players talent.

Example: Where would Jorts be if not for Cal? And Liggins? Neither would be at the next level if not having played for Cal.

26. ky Fans
    5:14 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Shabazz recruitment is kinda getting old.

27. JustSayin
    5:17 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Saw Shabazz at the City of Palms. He saw an early form of his treatment at UNLV if he goes there. He was double and triple teamed at City of Palms. With no other strong options he’ll get the same illustrious treatment. Definitely true at UNLV, less true at UCLA. He’ll face the most one-on-ones at UK and Shabazz is smart enough to know that.

If Bazz does stay west please do NOT rip the kid please. His dad is a west coast guy and may have a heavy influence, we just don’t know.

28. JustSayin
    5:22 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

BTW, talked to Julius Randle at City of Palms and he is a great kid. Super polite. He really liked my UK hat. Bishop Gorman has a player’s mom that is absolutely smoking hot. She strolled around in a very tight Bishop Gorman tshirt and had lots of bounce. Some women love to be watched and she was one of them. I say give her kid a scholarship to UK.

29. ShelbyCatFan
    5:38 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Bold predictions are usually always wrong lol. I feel solid this guy will dawn the blue and white next year. And he’s gonna be sick!!!

30. Lovely
    5:45 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

How many other schools does he tweet about? If he goes somewhere other than UK, it has to be parental pressure or some under-the-table deal. Does he call any other team “my boys?” Apologies if he treats other schools this way, but I skimmed his Twitter feed, and UK was the only mentioned school.

31. KDubb
    6:03 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Shabazz is cool with Ryan Harrow. Tweeted him a day or so ago. Can’t hurt right?

32. LineBeardGangsta
    6:55 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

The last time UNLV was relevant Jerry Tarkanian was coaching… What top-ranked recruit in their right mind would even think about going there?

33. bigbluecats
    7:00 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

In my hosnest opinion, I believe he will wait and see what Teague does before committing. It will be the same as it was with Knight waiting to see what Wall did. If the boards dont show Teague going in the first round then he may stay and why would Shabazz need to come if Teague is here and Harrow is as good as everyone says. I hope Im wrong but if Teague doesnt start improving his actual point guard duties, hes good but not NBA ready yet. With the way he tweets about UK and his ‘boys’ then I say all signs point to UK

34. BCO
    8:02 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

33 – why would shabazz care what teague does? hes a SG/SF, not a PG…

35. New York Rebel
    10:03 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Unlv sucks?! Really? Did you miss the #17 ranking, the win by double digits on neutral court over the same UNC you needed a phantom call to beat AT HOME, the win on the road (Kentucky is familiar with the concept of a road game right?) at Illinois, the top 10 RPI?

And coming from Kentucky and Calipari even suggesting that Unlv would pay Bazz is really laughable! Caliparis players take pay cuts when they go to the League!

36. Just saying
    10:07 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Tony written tweeted about his uk “boys” too.

37. Irony
    10:40 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

“PUNT PUNT Says:
    January 3rd, 2012 at 4:58 pm
    Last time I saw UNLV on TV I was 9 years old and the Simpsons were not on TV yet…..!!!! If Shabazz goes to anywhere but UK, cash money is the reason…….”

Oh the irony! A kid not committing to Cal the slimeball must cuz of money?! BWAHAHAHAHAHA

38. UNLV2
    11:02 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

Why would anyone want to play for UNLV? Cause unlike UCLA who puts 2,000 fans in stands we put 15,000-18,000 UNLV is a basketball school. Now i know we aren’t relevant in the National world yet we have to sustain the our success over time which i think UNLV will. They have the right coaching staff and one of the best coaching staff’s in the nation. With players like Shabazz Muhammed, Norvel Pelle, Anthony Bennett, and Khem Birch looking at UNLV we look to have a bright future. It will come down to does he just want to be a bother guy in the list of guys Cal put in the NBA or does he want to be the face of his home town, lead UNLV to a final four and a place he can come after his career is over. Oh did i forget Shabazz and Ron Holmes are at EVERY UNLV game unless he’s got a game and they make it to UNLV’s practice quit often including today. He can tweet all he want s about his buddies at UK i’d rather have him at every home game and numerous practices…..

39. bluvrebels
    11:08 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

MWC #4 RPI. SEC #6 RPI. I would be surprised if Shabazz commits to Kentucky and an inferior conference.

40. UNLV is a joke
    11:23 pm January 3, 2012 Permalink

38, UNLV isnt going to the final four anytime soon, Shabazz or no Shabazz. He will get way more exposure at UK than UNLV and he knows that. Plus its not saying much that he goes to UNLV practices when thats his hometown.

35, Wow you are ranked 17th. Yes you beat Carolina but then turned around and lost to Wichita State. Your school doesnt deserve to be spoken in the same breath as UK. You play in the Mountain West. Larry Johnson isnt walking through that door. How old are you 12? Take a pay cut? Wow that was original. Shabazz can go to UNLV and be a hometown hero or come to Kentucky and win a national title, play with other elite players, and be drafted number 1. He would have to carry your whole program on his back. Dont see it happening

41. Judd's Left Tit
    12:04 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

I love me some BBN but I believe Bazz should stay home.
    Bazz, if you’re reading this, stay home and play with UNLV.
    BBN would love nothing more than to see you become the home
    town hero.

42. Phil Knight
    1:43 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Is this the guy that is supposedly a big Adidas fan?

43. Gator 82
    1:19 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

You guys can keep the twitter tweets, I’ll take having Shabazz at every home game and a regular at Rebel practices over an occasional twitter shout out anyday.

44. Gator 82
    1:30 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

Shabazz will be the number 1 draft choice no matter where he goes. That’s just ignorant to believe that only Calipari can make Shabazz the number one pick. Cal doesn’t develop NBA players, he recruits them.

45. Inside Streetball
    9:47 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

Shabazz at UK or not will do little to change the momentum of the Wildcat Dynasty! Wait til you guys see Ryan Harrow and Archie Goodwin. Alex Poythress and possibly Khem Birch & Chris Walker will make the UK frontcourt ELITE!!!!!!!!