Tweet Beat: It’s the offseason…again.

As part of the never-ending quest to bring you University of Kentucky news in the most ridiculous manner possible, I comb the Twitter-verse each week for the funniest, oddest, and sometimes, nearly illegible tweets from your favorite players and personalities. Basically, I read Twitter so you don’t have to. Without further ado, here are the best tweets of the week.

It’s been a weird week in BBN. With the Cats out of the Tournament, we’re forced to fill the time we would spend stressing, preparing and watching UK play with other things. How did the UK players spend their time? While Willie trolled the fanbase on twitter, Kyle Wiltjer took a nap tried to get the lactic acid out of his legs:

Screen shot 2013-03-28 at 1.59.22 PM

And Twany Beckham and Tod Lanter wandered around the Craft Center with suits on:

Screen shot 2013-03-28 at 2.02.05 PM

Jarrod Polson worked through his offseason angst with arts and crafts:

Screen shot 2013-03-28 at 1.49.18 PM

And finally, Jon Hood did Jon Hood things, like watching Frank shoot something in a tree:

Screen shot 2013-03-28 at 2.04.06 PM

I hear spring boating season is almost here…

Joker Phillips has been acting a little strange this week.. He seems to have adopted “The Joker” from the Batman series as his alter ego, tweeting a picture of Heath Ledger in the role on Wednesday with the hashtag #ComePlayWRForTheJoker, which was creepy and just plain strange:

This morning, he tweeted this picture of Randall Cobb with the same hashtag:

Now, there’s no arguing that Joker had a part in Cobb’s development at UK (even though he decided not to give him the ball when it was 4th and short against Tennessee), but what concerns me more is this colorful and slightly terrifying attitude he’s taken on in social media lately. Why so creepy, Joker?

Perry Stevenson doesn’t need any handcuffs.

Since he’s a Tweet Beat Hall of Famer, Perry gets two tweets this week. Why do we love him so much? Stuff like this:

Enes Kanter dislocated his shoulder last night (there’s a video, but I’m too squeamish to post it), but that didn’t stop him from thanking his supporters on Twitter:

Not surprisingly, Tubby Smith’s firing was one of the headlines of the week, and had UK players talking:

I think we all had this reaction to this week’s snow:

No mas, winter. Go away.

Awh! La familia:

May I suggest that you all meet up in Lexington and make it a la familia reunion?

What do you think Stevie Johnson is enjoying more: the movie or his kid being asleep?

Does this picture of Tim Couch and his kids in front of his sign in Hyden make anyone else feel old?

I remember having Tim Couch’s poster up in my bedroom growing up. Sigh. Nice pun, though.

The flowers are blooming at Rich Brook’s new house, which makes me even more jealous of his retired life:

Just how big is Za’Darius Smith? Here’s a picture from his Twitter account to show you:

Here he is in UK sweats:

Here he is wearing a sweater vest in front of a camera.

As you can tell, I just discovered his Twitter account. Here’s hoping for more pictures soon.

This has been the only silver lining of UK not making the Tournament for me:

TWEET OF THE WEEK:

Let’s all tip one back to Penny Chenery, who proves that you’re never too old to enjoy some early morning Kentucky bourbon.

Until next time, RT plz?

10 Comments for Tweet Beat: It’s the offseason…again.

1. Brad
    10:44 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

No one forwarded Tom Crean the memo that ‘Cuse plays a 2-3 zone I see.

2. :)
    10:45 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Entertaining, as always, Mrs. TT. and FIRST

3. Wildcatsteeler
    10:45 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Good stuff.

4. :)
    10:45 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Aw man..

5. BlueD
    10:55 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Love this feature, thanks MTT

6. dave
    11:04 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

did stevie make his kid’s friend take that picture of them??

7. tyson
    12:27 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

Perry is the best follow of former uk players on twitter. he was underrated at uk.

8. Jacob Adam Brooks
    8:45 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

I really hope we offer Dominique Hawkins today. He’s a great kid with a firey approach to the PG spot. He’s a warrior and he’ll find a way to contribute. He reminds me of Cliff Hawkins but I hear other say Anthony Epps so maybe that’s more accurate but Hawkins is who I think off. Great Kentucky kid who will bleed blue.

My question is, is Cal really doing Harrow wrong if he shows him the door? Harrow sat out a year to play for UK and was a part of the championship team even though he never played. He used his redshirt year waiting to wear the blue and white and he played really well a lot of games this year and while he struggled the last 5 games or so… I’m not a fan of shipping kids off just because they’re not lottery picks. Harrow has said he wants to return and he knows he won’t be the starter so he’s got to be fine with being a backup so I don’t see how we’re a “players first program” if we tell returning starters they’re not welcome back, especially considering what it will mean for Harrow. He’ll either have to leave his family and move to Europe (for not a lot of money) or go to another school and lose his entire Jr. season. That seems pretty shady to me, simply because the kid’s future is really being hurt if he’s forced to leave… so is it only a “players first program” when its convenient for marketing?

9. Jacob Adam Brooks
    8:48 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

7) Define underrated? I think he is remembered or “rated” exactly how he was. He was a role player on some really bad teams, a decent shot blocker (we’ve seen what great shot blockers look like) with a solid jumper out to 12 feet. He couldn’t handle the ball and really struggled against bigs that weighed more than 215 pounds. I love Perry but I don’t think he was an “underrated player”

10. STEVE
    10:51 am March 29, 2013 Permalink

Whos said Cal was showing Harrow the door ? I think he will sit down and tell Harrow “llok, you are welcome back to the team if you cut back on the destractions, work hard, and improve your game in the off season. But you will see less playing time than last year’. i think he lays it all out in the open of what is to be expected and role Ryan Harrow will have next year. Far cry from “showing him the door”.