Tuesday’s Football Practice Notes

It was “coordinator day” for the UK Media. In the video above, OC Randy Sanders talks attacking Samford, rotating his freshmen quarterbacks and how he thinks this current crop of players will fare after the staff’s dismissal. Take a Look.

***********

DC Rick Minter said everything is still “business as usual” with the team, even after the announcement of the coaching staff’s dismissal. “We had to rally our forces after we found out the news, but we told our team ‘Hey, we’ve got a lot of seniors to play for,’ and we’re going to give the best effort we can for them.”

-Kentucky only has five defensive seniors departing after this season. When asked about how hard it’s been to not have a ton of upperclassmen leadership, Minter said it’s been tough, especially with transitioning to a 3-4 hybrid defense from a 4-3. “To put our battle in perspective, there’s only 18 players on this current defensive roster that I approved to come to UK. Having a lack of two upper classes have made our challenge a bit greater, but our kids have done the best they can do with the circumstances.”

-Minter knows Samford’s coach Pat Sullivan from past match-ups in their careers. He calls the Bulldogs offense “balanced” and says they can hurt you with either the run or the pass.

S Tay Neloms (hamstring) was back on the practice field today in a limited role. Minter wants to ease Neloms back into his role as starting safety so he doesn’t re-injure himself. Hamstrings are tricky, but the week off after the Missouri looks to have done Neloms some good.

-Neloms says the last few weeks have been “emotional.” He says the team has tried to stay positive as possible through everything that has taken place. Neloms says the team wants to win the last two games for Joker Phillips.

DE Taylor Wyndham’s beard is still out of control. Wyndham, a senior, says that it hasn’t hit him yet that it’s it last game in Commonwealth Stadium. “It’ll probably hit me when I walk out the tunnel and see my mom. She’s probably be crying and I might start crying too.”

Wyndham says he wants to be remembered as more than just the “Guy who laid a huge hit on Tim Tebow.” “I probably got a little more fame from that than I wanted. I’d rather be remembered as a guy who made plays, helped his teammates when they were down, and who was overall a good leader.”

Article written by Rashawn Franklin

25 Comments for Tuesday’s Football Practice Notes

1. EliCap
    4:07 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

Wyndham won’t be remembered for anything else because he has done nothing. He would be lucky to start at Murray St.

2. Fred needs Meds
    4:13 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

Hey don’t make fun of our seniors now. They chose to come here and it’s to bad our AD and his cronies couldn’t care less about football and did zip to help them. There are two games left so lets help these guys go out with some pride.

3. Deepblue
    4:16 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

*crickets*

4. UK Wildcat
    4:16 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

Taylor Wyndham is a senior leader on a 1-9 team. He should be glad he’s being remembered by anyone for anything.

5. Blue Teeth
    4:19 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

Our incompetent AD only cares about football as a cash cow to support sports he does cares about. The problem is the cow is dying and he has to fix it. The other problem is he isn’t willing or capable and wants another “yes” man like Joker who will take the job on the cheap and hopefully win 6 games every now and then and keep the stands full. It’s killing him that we fans are finally fed up and are demanding more and will not support the crap we have been given. Keep it up fans and they will have to change.

6. Sam
    4:20 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

2…You’re a damn liar…where do you get off spreading your damn right wing propoganda

7. RickMinter
    4:36 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

Rick Minter does not approve of this comments section!

8. Pappa D Nutts
    4:42 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

Only two games left to get this nightmare over, Oh Wait! Mitch will hire a retread or another flop, so we will be back here again in 3-4 years.

9. Dumbledore
    4:45 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

Why are we talking foosball?

10. blamecanada
    4:49 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

8 – Why do some of you care so much? We are a basketball school. I could care less about getting a homerun hire or conference championships. Some of you want the pipe dream for UK football, but its not going to happen.

I just want a coach that gets us to bowl games, makes us competitive with the middle tier teams in the conference, and beats UL more often than not. Do this and you have my support to coach for life even if that is smoke and mirrors or the status quo.

11. C'mon man
    4:50 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

I know it’s only a blog but…do you guys EVER proof-read your work before posting it??

12. Sports School
    5:08 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

I hate that we who love football and baseball always get thrown in our faces “WE’RE A BASKETBALL SCHOOL, WHY DO YOU CARE?”

I care because one, I love sports and I love UK. So I support ALL UK sports and want them all to do as well as they can, in a spirit of excellence both academically and athletically. Two, we are a proud part of the SEC. Which also includes football and baseball; very much so. Maybe it is a “pipe dream” to want UK football to do well. But I have always loved dreamers, especially dreamers who work hard to make their dreams happen. Every excellent person who changed the world was told that what they dreamed was stupid and illogical. I always hope for a UK football team we can love and cheer and will also be taken seriously by the rest of the SEC. I always hope for the day when the rest of the SEC is saying, “Wow. Kentucky football! Whooda thunk?!?”

Other schools in the SEC have done it. We can too. I look forward to the day when you “Hoops School” people are jumping on the
    football bandwagon, claiming you were always True Blue football fans. I won’t even care what hypocrites you are in that moment.
    I’ll just be cheering my fool head off, cause I do love our football team, and feel a great deal of pride whenever they take the field.
    Yes, even when they lose. But God, what a feeling it would be if we got to feel the pride of them WINNING. Really truly
    KICKING BUTT! Man that would be so awesome. We’ve gotten glimpses of it, and it’s been so long now, the shirts I bought
    to commemorate the games are literally falling to shreds. I hope Mitch makes a wise and wonderful choice. Our baseball team
    did us proud last year. We know Cal will always be striving for excellence. If we can just turn football around, we have a LOT
    to be proud of at UK. Soccer, women’s basketball… we have a lot to be proud of. Please Mitch, LET’S DO THIS THANG!

13. WhoCares
    5:22 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn…..ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…..

14. U black sum bitch
    5:26 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

We should keep Rick Minter! It’s not often an outgoing DC throws his SR and JR’s under the bus! I like his style.

15. Beavis
    5:34 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

# 6,,,,,help me out and explain how you determined that the comments from # 2 were “right wing” propaganda. I also would like to know what propoganda is . Thanks

16. bluezzzzz
    6:02 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

sooo, coordinators approve the players on their side of the ball? There goes the ” they werent Jokers players, even though he was the oc” theory.

17. blue in bama
    6:39 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

Way to go Minter. No wonder this team is 1-9. Take what you have and develop them. From all indications, your defense is no better today than it was at the start of September. A large part of that is on you.

18. Blue Balls
    6:49 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

Between the coach search and basketball starting up I actually forgot we still had two games left.

19. Matt in Franklin
    7:17 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

Nice, Minter. Throw your players under the bus. I’m sure they thank you for laying back in that pu$$y a$$ prevent BS defense all year.

20. Tired of Being 1 of 12 games
    7:53 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

Why has Dave Baker not invited on KSR radio to give his football insight as to who he thinks UK should hire?

21. BCinVA
    8:21 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

Is Rick Minter as much of a dick as his comment makes him seem? Let that guy go draw unemployment.

22. PPat
    8:26 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

Minter is a dipshit… “To put our battle in perspective, there’s only 18 players on this current defensive roster that I approved to come to UK.” How many players are on the defense? Only 25, thats how many!!! “To put this into perspective, I only approved of 70% of my players”. SHUT IT MINTER

23. Bballdoc
    8:56 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

I wonder how many of the players on the UK defense approve of Minter?

24. The Numbers
    12:03 am November 14, 2012 Permalink

You know, given Rick Minter’s infinite intelligence, I’m very shocked he’s had 13 jobs in 35 years, including 5 in the last 8 years. It’s a good thing the game hasn’t passed him by. #backtotheMAC

25. What is going on
    9:01 am November 14, 2012 Permalink

Randy and Rick – 10 more days until you are out. Do UK fans a favor and blow off future interviews.