Tuesday’s Football Practice Notes

The gloomy scenery fit today’s football practice perfectly. It was the first time the team met with the media following the Louisville loss and coaches were searching for some type of positive to deliver the Wildcat faithful. It was offensive day, though, the side of the ball that played as well as they could’ve, sans a few key turnovers. Coach Phillips, having had a couple of days to digest what he saw on tape, wanted to move on from Sunday’s performance and focus on the first home game of the season versus Kent State.

-“I’m glad it’s a short week.” Phillips said. “I’m ready for my football team to get back on the field.”

-Phillips expects Saturday’s game to be a “dog fight.” Kent State has had a ton of time to prepare for the Wildcats and are going to be excited to get a chance to take down an SEC team.

-As Drew posted earlier, Kent State played last Thursday vs. Towson, giving them almost a week and a half to study the Cats.

-Defensively, Phillips said that the poor performance can’t be placed solely on the players. “It’s not the kids. We’ve got to do a better job as coaches.” Phillips explained. He cited the linebackers not staying in their gaps, and the defensive line not getting great push in the trenches.

-Phillips expects true freshmen to get more of an opportunity to play, especially in the defense’s front seven.

-Linebacker Malcolm McDuffen has received his starter role back at WLB, according to this week’s depth chart. Expect that position to continue to be a revolving door with McDuffen and Tyler Brause.

-Phillips expressed how proud he was of WR Aaron Boyd after his performance in the Louisville game.”He’s done everything we’ve ever asked of him. He’s shut his mouth and started to play.”

-Along with Boyd, Daryl Collins has also been named a starter for Saturday’s game.

-Collins said that being named a starter gives an extra boost in confidence. He doesn’t want to ever give the position back now that he’s earned it.

-Collins thinks that the defense will eventually get better and that he’s seen their potential in practice. “It’s only the first game.”

-WR coach Pat Washington thinks that WR Demarco Robinson‘s potential wasn’t on display Sunday. He expects him to be a major playmaker going forward, and thinks Louisville’s coverage dictated his lack of touches.

-Washington added that Boyd’s emergence doesn’t surprise him. He’s one of the hardest workers on the team and has completely bought into the offense.

Article written by Rashawn Franklin

35 Comments for Tuesday’s Football Practice Notes

1. Vinerstisil
    1:37 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

Lousiville was all over Robinson and took away the deep threat. I don’t see what the coaches see in him, but hope I am wrong. Just because a guy is fast doesn’t mean he has football sense. Unexcited on his punt returns also.

2. Jim G.
    1:41 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

I don’t know why we even waste our time with this POS team and POS coach.

3. shelbyjoe
    1:45 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

Understatement of the DECADE from Joker: “We’ve got to do a better job as coaches.”
    DUH – ya think??
    First year of Strong-v-Phillips – UK wins
    second year – UL wins barely
    third year – UL wins easily
    The gap is widening, UK getting worse, UL getting better. Not a big talent gap – do ya think it’s coaching??? And remember, Strong took over an absolute train wreck from Kragthorpe, Joker took over a program on footing as solid as its ever been from Rich Brooks.

4. Pissed off
    1:57 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

Joker was a shitty playcaller, did we ever really think he could coach this team????

5. UKBlue
    1:57 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

Joker just needs to shut up; the more Joker talks the worse it gets. Where are our SPECIAL FORCES?

#3 There is a huge talent gap between UK & UL especially on defense.

It’s funny now how people talk like Rick Brooks was the savor; I’m sorry, Rich Brooks was slightly better than what we have now.

6. catlogic15
    1:58 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

“Better job as coaches”… “Defensive line not getting great push”…..”Potential not on display”….”Linebackers not staying in gaps”..

KSR staff can take a hiatus until Big Blue Madness. Just leave an intern around the office to insert these quotes every week.

7. pioneer
    2:03 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

#6 I totally agree. Talk about token coach speak, lol. They might as well come out and say we (the coaches) are f’n terrible and we could screw this up if we had more talent and more experience on the field. Seriously, Tee Martin saw the writing on the wall, and that is exactly why he bolted to bigger and better things. Joker is a joke and his media savvy continues to amaze me. Ask him tough questions, get bull shit answers. People talk about Calipari and his token coach speak, I think Joker has bull shitting down to a science. Only coach alive who could say what he says, put the product out on the field he does, and still have support and a job! Pathetic is the only adjective to describe this abortion.

8. Lefty
    2:05 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

I have a crackhead aunt who no one talks about anymore so why is everything about football all the time please quit trying to put icing on a turd and serving it as cake

9. DP
    2:06 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

We lost to a team that was supposed to beat us. I cannot wait to see the following: 1) How poor the attendance is to the Kent State game. 2) How many people are calling for Joker’s job after we start 0-3 with 2 bad losses to low level teams. 3) Will Matt Jones continue to find a way to put a positive spin on UK football or will be fall back into his ways of talking negatively about it all the time.

10. DP
    2:07 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

#8) Icing on a turd = quote of the year. Thank you!

11. UK Football a Joke
    2:14 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

Can we please get back to talking about basketball?

12. Westkycat
    2:29 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

Can anybody help me find or can we listen to Joker’s call in show last night?

13. Got your back Joker
    2:29 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

Joker, don’t listen to the haters. If it wasn’t for you and your recruiting under Brooks, we wouldn’t be ahead in the series with UofL.

14. Edge
    2:33 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

I did think the offense was MUCH better!! I was looking at the box score from the game and found that we did produce pretty well offensively. Without the fumble the yardage, completions, and accuracy looked good. I am far away from giving up because we can win the next two and give Florida a good shot. They are down, but I do realize our curse with Florida and they always beat us 49-7 or something like that, but there has to be a time when we win and I believe that could be this year. As long as the offense can score maybe we can get the defense on board. We can still have a good season as long as we can put points on the board. When does Josh Clemons come back?

15. Hey, Cards fan here
    2:36 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

Hey Cayuts, if you want to count those first W’s from almost 100 years ago and claim to be ahead in the series, then that just shows how pathetic you really are. Bottom line is we own you in the modern era. I hope Yew Kay gets used to hearing about Teddy and the boys all season. We’re going to be in the BCS conversation whether Matt Jones likes it or not. Yes, we’re not in the SEC, but we’re also not going to lose to a MAC team and WKU. If you haven’t noticed, over at Card Chronicle we’re way over the Cayuts. Yet KSR is still mouth breathing over the Cards and picking up the pieces. WE OWN YOU AND YOU’LL NEVER WIN AGAINST US AGAIN. CARDINALSTRONG! L1C4! Suck it!

16. Edge
    2:40 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

#5 we beat a top 10 Louisville team to start the season and beat #1 LSU in ’07. How amy times has Louisville beat a #1 team in the last 10 years? Exactly they have not. How was Rich Brooks not getting the job done? And a MSU game or 2 away from being in a good bowl. I can understand negativity but we were doing some good things for a couple of years. People like you will always have the bad spin to throw on it.
    Yeah the defense was beyond awful but the Offense looked pretty good outside of the 2 fumbles.

17. Edge
    2:44 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

#15 go post on Card Chronicle…until you posted that I had no idea it existed. Howie Lyndsey and Dave Jennings are ready for you to call in start hollerin L1C4. Who cares about he old vicotories…Im talking 4 out of 6. Is that recent enough for ya.

Oh and by the way…if you all go to the BCS it will be fantastic because you will get completely hammered by a good team. Do you really think you can play with Oregon, USC, Bama, LSU, Georgia, Okalahoma? You all are the most dillusional fan base possible.

18. Aaron
    2:46 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

The fact the Joker says we are going to be in a “dog fight” with Kent St. shows how bad this season will be.

19. Dave
    2:52 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

This is going to be a long football season.

20. bigcat76
    3:06 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

“It’s only the first game.” Yeah they give do overs in 1st games right?

Wasn’t that UL’s 1st game too?

21. bigcat76
    3:09 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

#15 Aren’t the Tards claiming a couple B$ basketball titles from back in the day? One of which is ’48, which was won by who, exactly? Say it..say it, I dare you!

22. greg
    3:17 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

to Card Fan, I know you won the game, but to claim “we own you in the modern era” is wrong unless you just forget the 4 in a row we laid on you, i guess we owned you those years but games prior to 2011 don’t count. I guess your orange bowl win doesn’t count anymore either.

23. Cardz 4 Life
    3:37 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

Still owned. You’ll see Bridgewater again next year. 31-0? UK football is a joke and I can’t wait to beat you in basketball this year too. #L1C4.

24. Beavis
    3:40 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

Card fans go crazy over two in a roll. They may have needed this win more than we did. However,,,if you think the Cards can compete with USC,,Bama,,LSU or Fla State,,,well you are dreaming.

25. jill
    3:50 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

#22 we own you since 1994..11 to 8……

26. greg
    4:29 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

Cards for Life your memory is so short, our basketball team beat your #L1C4 Cards Twice his past season and everyyear in the “Modern Era”. your basketball program is 2nd rate

27. stan
    4:57 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

#23, your memory is long as pitino’s affair in the Italian restaurant,about 15 seconds.

28. Corn Cob
    5:02 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

“I’m ready for my football team to get back on the field” Heck…I’d like to see a football team on the field that is wearing UK gear.

29. jill
    5:16 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

#26…is it basketball season already?

30. Big T
    7:54 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

A dogfight with Kent feakin State?

31. Rae
    8:33 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

This sounds an awful lot like when Billy G was trying to talk up Liberty University or that school I will not mention because I try to forget it.

And Cards, if you all were really over us, you wouldn’t be here, would you?

32. Clint Hurt
    12:24 am September 5, 2012 Permalink

Good point #31 ^^^ #L1Gay4!!!

33. putinrichie
    6:23 am September 5, 2012 Permalink

I’m anxious to see how we play Saturday and if we bounce back at all. Not that beating Kent State will change how I feel about Joker as our HC, but I sure hope the defense is better than what we saw last week. I also don’t want the embarassment of losing to a mid-major. A loss to Kent State on Saturday would all but officially end the Joker Phillips era at UK. Some would say thats a good thing and I wouldn’t disagree, but I never want to see us lose to a team like mid-major. I hope the season can be salvaged and that we can win some big games, but I don’t see that being the case right now.

34. putinrichie
    6:26 am September 5, 2012 Permalink

31 – Its called coachspeak. Rick Pitino does the exact same thing when UL plays D-3 schools. Most coaches aren’t arrogant enough to dismiss their opponent. Even CAL will try and talk up our weaker opponents. Not defending Joker at all, but talking up the opponent is something even the best coaches do.

35. putinrichie
    6:35 am September 5, 2012 Permalink

8 – Its still UK football. Its not like we have a proud tradition of winning that is being ruined. We are nothing, but we came from nothing. Even as bad as we are, I’m not going to turn my back on the program. I might not go to any games this year, but I still care and hope the younger talent is developed so that next year we don’t see the same terrible product(with or without Joker).