So after a long day to begin the week, there is still a significant amount of information to report. Here we go….
(1) See that guy up there. That is Darnell Gant, a 6’8″ power forward from Los Angeles, California, and apparently he might be the answer to the alleged “West Coast power forward” that was being discussed by a couple of people to me in recent weeks. Gant is another “under the radar” guy (I feel like we say that every few days), and yet another kid who had a summer that led him to rise in the rankings. He is not a banger, but tends to play on the perimeter more. He is a solid shooter but must be given space to play facing the basket….a trait that Tubby does not always find appealing in big men. Keep an eye on Gant as he is a name that is being repeated often.
UPDATE Just talked to Gant (he is on West Coast time), and he is visiting UK on September 28th. So add another to the list of folks UK has coming on campus….
(2) For those of you freaking out over the news that Patrick Patterson enjoyed his visit to Florida (and you know who you are), just take a deep breath. He did another interview today where he said that “nothing had really changed” and he couldnt wait to see all of the schools. Folks, once again, this is going to be a long road….you cant use these singular stories that come out as indications of virtually anything. Patrick will decide, and my guess is that no one will know for sure until he says it himself.
(3) I spoke with Jai Lucas again tonight and his interest in Kentucky is through the roof. He has visits scheduled for Kentucky, Maryland and Oklahoma, but made clear to me that he “might commit before he takes all his visits.” With Kentucky as the first scheduled visit, that is a very good sign indeed. Of all the recruits we speak about, Jai Lucas is the one I have the most confidence in….ok I take that back as I dont want another Julian Vaughn scenario. Lets just say he likes UK a lot. 😉
(4) Jeff Brooks of Louisville did take an unofficial visit to UK last week. Word is that he enjoyed the visit, but I wouldnt expect any rush from either side on this recruitment. UK is holding off and my guess is Brooks is holding off too (hoping for the hometown Ville).
(5) Scout.com is reporting that Scotty Hopson says he doesnt hear from UK that much and that most of his calls come from Tennessee. So much for everyone explaining why Nasir Robinson hasnt heard from UK either. In better news, Darius Miller has been visited by UK and will be at Midnight Madness. UK does NOT want to lose him to Tennessee, but if I were a betting man, Tennessee (and possibly Cincinnati) will be the biggest competition.
Tomorrow night we will have the Week 2 Choose or Lose results. In addition, Tuesday will see the Kentucky Sports Radio new episode release. We had quite a taping with comedian Doug Stanhope (who if you like his comedy, which some may not, was on fire), CBS Sportsline’s Gregg Doyel coming to infuriate the masses and Ole Miss beat writer Chuck Rosabelle to preview Saturday’s game. Plus we debuted new segments including our hate mail, the Carlos Toomer poem of the week and the Intern’s Rant. All in all for our true fans (and you know who you are), this will be your favorite show.