Tubby Smith dance break!

Last night, Minnesota got a big overtime win over #20 Wisconsin, which understandably, led to some celebration in the locker room. Watch as 61-year-old Tubby Smith shows off moves that would make even Justin Timberlake jealous.

Forget the Harlem Shake, let’s do the Tubby!

49 Comments for Tubby Smith dance break!

1. Chattanooga Jimmie
    10:17 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

Tubby is such a great guy. One of my favorite UK coaches ever! Love to see him having fun in Minnesota

2. Big Curt
    10:18 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

AWESOME!!!! Love it!!

3. BlueVoodoo
    10:21 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

Hahahahahahahhaa!!! Happy for Tubby.

4. James B
    10:25 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

I love Tubby…

And, hey, Tubby’s a dancer! My wife’s cousin used to live in Nashville and ran across him at a club or something dancin’ it up…

Great for him!

5. jonathan cooksey
    10:26 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

That makes me like Tubby again, but I never really didn’t like him.

6. wilq
    10:28 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

awesome.

7. The Blue Goose
    10:28 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

I love Tubby.

8. joe
    10:31 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

this made me blush

9. Sir Brandon
    10:32 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

Coacheth like Tarzan, danceth like Ke$ha

10. Tubby rocks
    10:32 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

7) Are you from Fennville, Michigan?

11. Smiley Pete
    10:33 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

This makes me wish I could be friends with Tubby…

12. I Say
    10:33 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

lol love tubby, that made my day

13. HouseofStark
    10:34 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

I thought doing “the tubby” was sitting on your ass for a decade living off the success of your predecessors and your employer’s name? Learn something every day.

14. RodneyfromMcKee
    10:35 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

Thats great

15. kes
    10:39 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

who ever thought tubby could dance better then he could coach?

16. GoGoGophers
    10:41 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

And the chant went on all night. “We beat number 20…we beat number 20….”

17. Awkward
    10:42 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

…that awkward moment where you pick up your coach, start dancing, and the assistant says that’s going too far.

18. oh kay...
    10:45 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

1) I assume Sutton and Gillispie weren’t in the running, so that left Rupp, Hall, Pitino, Calipari, and Smith. To be ONE of your favorite UK coaches ever is not saying that much. I’m just giving you sh*%. I really like Tubby, too. He seems like a great person. I’ll never forget Donna “scolding” him for dancing at the celebration after we won it all in 98. Great memory

19. HappyHappyHappy
    10:47 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

That might be the best video ever on KSR!!

20. Cat89
    10:47 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

That made me smile 🙂

21. HappyHappyHappy
    10:48 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

Also, Lexington native Vince Taylor bustin a move.

22. Stat
    10:54 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

And former UK student manager under Mr. Keightley Steve Zo Goodson in the background in a grey suit.

23. Harry
    10:54 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

Tubby looks like a three-toed sloth.

24. INCatFan
    11:02 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

What a great man and great coach! Way to go Tubby!

25. Charles
    11:09 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

Below mediocre coach that has a real hard time “dancing” in March!

26. tom
    11:11 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

Great video. Good for Tubby. I’m glad the players have a lot of affection for him.

27. OneAndDone
    11:15 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

Makes me smile to see Tubby having a good time. Wish him nothing but the best. Once a Cat, always a Cat.

28. Catsfan73
    11:15 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

That’s awesome! Tubby is still a class act!

29. Corey Nichols
    11:18 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

WHY DO WE CARE ABOUT TUBBY!?!? I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT OUR PROGRAM BEFORE CALIPARI GOT HERE BUT I’VE HEARD HE WAS BAD.
    HE CAN’T COACH, NOT THAT GREAT OF A PERSON SO…..WHY?
    ………ALSO, REDDIT.

LOLZ.

30. Viren
    11:19 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

Tubby once a Wildcat will always be a Wildcats no matter where he is coaching. I will never foreget the wonderful memories he brought to Cats fans in his first few years. I will always remember him for giving us the PAYBACK of Laettner shot by sending Wojo and Dukies home.

31. ls
    11:22 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

Tubby Smith number 1 fan

32. Greg
    11:26 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

I am glad to see Tubby happy though. He is a good person.

33. Stat
    11:27 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

And KSR – you should look into what Tubby has been proposing for the last several years…he has been asking the NCAA to move the portable goal bases another 4-5 feet back so players don’t get injured…something he has been asking the NCAA to do could have avoided Noel’s injury. Do an article on that!!

34. The Blue Goose
    11:28 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

10) No, I’m not. I just googled it and figured out why you asked, though.

35. Charles
    11:28 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

All you tubby lovers just loved his mediocrity!! How can you stand Calipari??

36. Blue
    11:28 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

Here’s the thing with Tubby…You either liked him all along, until his performance obviously faded the last year or two, or you hated him all along, no matter what he did.

Yes, there were a few lean years after the 1999 season earning Tubby the moniker, “10-Loss Tubby,” but there were also some very successful seasons shortly thereafter. The 2003 team went 19-0 in conference in a year when the SEC was THE best conference in America, bar none. We were a Keith Bogans sprained ankle away from a title that year, too. Had a couple of disappointing finishes in 2004 and 2005, but we were really good both years. Top overall seed, 2 seed the next and a defensive rebound away from the Final Four in 05…Tubby was successful here.

What got him, was the Final Four drought and, oddly enough, his best recruiting class. he found out tthat to keep Kentucky fans happy you have to recruit the absolute best and win, and Tubby proved he needed lower-tiered players to coach up. That combination doesn’t work at Kentucky.

I liked tubby all the way up til about 2 weeks before he left, but i still respect him and hope he gets his rightful banner in Rupp Arena.

37. the truth
    11:34 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

By all accounts, Tubby was a great person at UK. Like his coaching style or not, it’s easy to feel good for the man now.

38. ribin
    11:37 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

Good for Tubby —

39. OSCAR'S DIAPER
    11:40 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

Tubby was a great guy, very nice both times I met him. He got very bitter towards the very end because of all the scrutiny, but I feel he deserves a lot of respect for what he did while here. It could’ve been a lot worse as proved by BCG. GO CATS!

40. Blue South
    11:54 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

#55 is really excited. I can’t quit laughing at his reaction.

41. bobbyperry
    11:55 am February 15, 2013 Permalink

Tubby will always be a favorite of mine. He is a great human being. I admit it was hard to like his lack of recruiting, but as a person, he was always first class. Great to see him having success. at Minnesota. I can’t help but to root for the guy.

42. Charles
    12:07 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

#40, Not NEAR as excited as you tubby lovers are about propping up a “coach” that literally ran Kentucky Basketball into the ground!
    1. Only two First round draft picks (he recruited) in ten years!
    2. His best year was ironically 1998 which was a team he inherited!
    3. I could go on and on.

43. Johnnybalt
    12:35 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

#42 – How about when he out-coached the demi-God Coach K by a wide margin in the 98 tourney game and then helped guide us to a ‘ship. Tubby’s a really good coach (whether you like his style or not) and seems like a great guy. He’s not really made for UK, but that’s fine – there’s probably only a couple that are.

44. something witty
    1:05 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

I have never felt compelled to ever leave a comment on this site; rarely do I even read the comments. I’m always curious to see UK fans’ reaction to Tubby, though. #36 is spot-on. So many haters out there, glad to see most still like Tubby and haven’t forgotten he did some great things while he was here.

45. Joek
    2:32 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

This makes me like Tubby for the first time since 1998. “Valentime Day”

46. backpack
    2:43 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

That’s great. I hope he has a good run in the tourney.

47. Name
    2:54 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

Love it props to tubby!!!!!

48. RealCatsFan
    2:57 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

36, I couldn’t agree with you more. I hope Coach Cal see to it that Tubby’s jersey is hung up in Rupp’s rafters alongside the other national championship coaches. I’m sure Cal will have one of his own hanging there someday, and it wouldn’t look good to skip a NC coach. If we are going to have Rick Pitino’s jersey hanging after he went to coach our arch rival, then it is only fitting to have Tubby’s up there too. And no, I really don’t hold any bitterness towards Pitino like some of the fans do. I am still grateful for him bringing us back to greatness after the dark ages of probation.

49. Aaron Craft's Rosacea
    3:23 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

Mad respect for Tubby until he calls it a career. Minnesota seems to be the perfect spot for him too.