Troublesome allegations continue to follow Mike Leach

Mike Leach has been a familiar name around the Kentucky football program for years. Even though he was just recently hired to take over the job at Washington State, his name has once again been thrown around by some during Kentucky’s current coaching search. Mike Leach had a messy ending with Texas Tech, entangled in player abuse allegations.

Similar troubles continue to plague Mike Leach. Marquess Wilson, a second team All-Pac 12 member, announced that he was quitting the Washington State football team on Saturday. The news came following an indefinite suspension for Wilson on Wednesday by Leach for violating an unspecified team rule. Following a crushing loss last weekend, rumor has it that Wilson walked out of a team conditioning practice the following Sunday morning.

Wilson issued a heavy statement/letter to the Washington State fans last night, which included allegations of his suspension being an effort by the athletic department to cover up what is really happening in the locker room. Wilson also claims that the new coaching staff prefers to belittle, intimidate and humiliate the players on the team. In more simple terms, Wilson calls it “abuse.”  Read the letter in it’s entirety from an article in USA Today below:

Dear Cougar Nation:

It is with a heavy heart that I announce my decision to forgo playing football for Washington State University. I realize the school is saying that I am suspended for violating team policies and may return next week, but this is a lie. This is an attempt by the athletic department to cover up what is really happening in that locker room.

It is been a privilege to be a Cougar, to perform on your field and wear the Crimson and Gray. I would like to thank Washington State University for giving me the opportunity to do what I love most, to play football and receive a quality education for the past three years. I’m grateful to the athletic department for the coaching, care and encouragement I have received prior to this season.

This was going to be our year. My teammates and I were aspiring to be the winning team you deserve. Unfortunately for all, the new coaching staff has destroyed that endeavor. I believe coaches have a chance to mold players, to shape men, to create greatness. However, the new regime of coaches has preferred to belittle, intimidate and humiliate us. This approach has obviously not been successful, and has put a dark shadow on this program.

My teammates and I have endured this treatment all season long. It is not “tough love”. It is abuse. This abuse cannot be allowed to continue. I feel it is my duty to stand up and shed light on this situation by sacrificing my dreams, my education and my pride. I resign from this team. I am deeply sorry to those I am letting down. I am not a quitter. I was raised by my family, and many previous coaches to exhibit dedication and embrace sacrifice, but there comes a time when one has to draw a line in the sand.

Lastly, I thank my fellow teammates, those who also have left the program this year, and those we are leaving behind. I hope our departure will bring awareness to the physical, emotional and verbal abuse being allowed in the locker room and on the field. I pray for healing and recovery for all those who have been hurt by this treatment

Sincerely,

Marquess Wilson

Washington State athletic director Bill Moss countered with a later statement on the situation:

“It is unfortunate that Marquess has chosen not to go through the weekend and have the subsequent visit with me as we had discussed last Tuesday. I was hopeful to provide additional guidance if he was willing to meet the standards that have been set by Mike Leach and his staff in their effort to establish a competitive football program at Washington State. Unfortunately, during times of coaching transitions, departures are not uncommon.

We have procedures in place that were developed to monitor student-athlete welfare in all of our sports programs. We will continue to follow those procedures and modify them if needed.

I believe I join many Cougars in wishing Marquess well in his future endeavors. WSU athletics plans no future statement at this time.”

Needless to say, the situation at Washington State following a disappointing year on the football field is not looking too great.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

34 Comments for Troublesome allegations continue to follow Mike Leach

1. cracka
    10:43 am November 11, 2012 Permalink

i wrote this from a bathroom stall eating a box of pop tarts

-mw

2. bearbryantisnotwalkingthrouhthatdoor
    10:48 am November 11, 2012 Permalink

So, I guess Leach won’t be on our
    short list.

We may have to get Petrino, once Joe B came out in favor I’m concerned the heat on Barnhart just increased by 25 degrees

3. Head Bussa
    10:50 am November 11, 2012 Permalink

I always knew Joe B. Hall was one of the greatest Americans!

4. Eight Letters
    10:55 am November 11, 2012 Permalink

A pretty articulate letter……I wonder who wrote it for him.

5. Blueprints
    10:55 am November 11, 2012 Permalink

Thank you Joe B. Hall

6. Big Time Rush Fan
    10:58 am November 11, 2012 Permalink

So basically all of the coaches out there with any interest in the UK job are terrible people and we should have kept Joker? 😉

7. burger
    11:03 am November 11, 2012 Permalink

If there were 70 players in that locker room, yet 1 “resigns” after already being suspended for walking out of conditioning practice… I smell fish frying on the grill folks.

Competitive sports at the highest level isn’t for everyone. Take any top 10 NCAA Division 1 coach or NFL coach for that matter, and watch what they take their team through on any given week and it could be called abuse… by Betty Crocker.

8. Rixter
    11:12 am November 11, 2012 Permalink

Sounds like BCG II. Let’s make the same mistake again!

9. Axe Cop
    11:14 am November 11, 2012 Permalink

Regardless of the accuracy of the accusations you can pretty much rule out Leach at this point. I highly doubt the UK athletics department will want anything to do with him now.

10. Gillispie?
    11:15 am November 11, 2012 Permalink

#7 So Billy Gillispie wasn’t abusive at UK because he’s not a top 10 coach? I kind think the actions themselves, if proven, define the abuse. Looks like Leach is pretty much an eccentric, abusive jerk. Like Gillispie, only maybe more likable because he likes pirates. LOL

11. burger
    11:15 am November 11, 2012 Permalink

Even without this happening… How is Mike Leach even in the same stratosphere as a coach as Ricky Bobby???

12. burger
    11:17 am November 11, 2012 Permalink

#10 – Gillispie? – I’m talking football. Leave the drunk out of the discussion please.

13. Yes, Gillispie
    11:36 am November 11, 2012 Permalink

Football, basketball, rifle team, whatever. I understand, football, by its nature, demands aggressive physical practices to instill toughness and to win. You don’t need that in 3m diving for example. But there’s still a line that shouldnt’ be crossed. I have no idea if the WSU kid is just a wimp or if Leach is an abusive torturer. You seem to be saying that Gillispie’s tactics, if used by a top 10 football coach, are acceptable because, well, its football. Baloney. Abuse is abuse. You can win without it. That’s why kids (and their parents) don’t want to play for coaches like that anymore.

Read the post again. The player in his letter mentions other players that left this year. Yes, players always leave when a new coach arrives, but this guy isn’t the only one to walk out. WSU=Texas Tech with Gillispie. They thought Leach was not abusive after Tech fired him. Maybe they are wrong.

14. citycat
    11:37 am November 11, 2012 Permalink

Pass on Leach now and Tuberville after Tuberville slapped his assistant coach in the face on national TV

15. g-unit
    11:50 am November 11, 2012 Permalink

To everyone saying this is just this kid being a wuss, trust me it’s not. Marquess Wilson is a very smart and athletic player. Last year he had better numbers than the likes of Marqise Lee. And Robert Woods. He is a stud, a 6’5 wr that is a first round Draft pick. The kid is a very physical player and had over 1800 yds receiving with 20tds. This is huge that it is this guy quitting.

16. Bigbluestorm
    12:12 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Mike Leach shouldnt even be considered, Bobby Petrino or bust.

17. Rick
    12:17 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Mitch jones or Matt Burnhardt will spin this into a don’t hire Petrino piece in 3….2…..1…..

18. Monstermash
    12:41 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Why would you want to hire Petrino to have to go through another coach search within 2 years because he left for greener pastures?

19. Bigbluestorm
    12:55 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

#18 Petrino left Auburn as a OC for a head coaching job at the dirty birds(stepping stone university where all coaches leave),then decided to try the nfl stint, who would nt want to try that or stay in the big easy thats a no brainer.Atlanta more less fired him for wanting to discipline high dollar players, so he ends up at Arkasas for 4 yrs with a great record and messes around on his wife, 7 out of 10 people in this country have done that or thought about it,so the only ones down on petrino are the ones that only hear the negative and not the truth. So whats the big dealif he comes for 3 or 4 yrs and we end up with a 8 9 or 10 games wining season because we have some talent on this football team.

20. UKsoggy85
    12:56 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

guys..if Petrino came here, he’d be gone in 3 years…is that really worth settling for a dirtbag former UL coach?…I’d much rather hire an up-and-coming young coach than a guy who has alienated 3 different fanbases…..just ask UL, Arkansas, or Atlanta Falcons fans how they feel about him.

21. Sammydog
    12:56 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

# 18 Maybe a contract could be structured in such a way that would be highly punitive financially to both him and his new school if he left before his contract with UK would be up for renewal. Offer him a 5 yr contract but if he left before 3 yrs he and new school would pay a financial price to UK that would be worth it. If he is the coach every one claims he should have made a worthwhile improvement in the program in 3 yrs and maybe brought in some good assistants that would take the program over after he left. He might go for that. The contract would be long enough to give him time and job security but would have a 3 yr out for him if his dream job came up.

22. Sammydog
    1:08 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

For what it is worth, the CJ today says Vegas has BP at 2-1 odds to be UK’s coach.
    I still think he will go to Auburn or TENN but since those jobs aren’t open yet Vegas may not have them on the board.

23. Lip set
    1:24 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

18) stupid comment. WINNING program for two years or losing program for 50 yrs? You tell me…

24. Lip set
    1:27 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

20). Well why don’t you just switch schools you root for and cheer for a team with an up and coming coach? Ask Memphis or the nets how they feel about coach cal!! Are you sorry we got him also?

25. Nasty Nate
    1:41 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

What a baby. He sounds like a product of the new “politically correct” generation. My guess is that this kid has had been babied his whole life.

26. Shane
    2:12 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

I believe kids these days are just raised different. When you have only won ONE game I can see why the coaching staff express “tough love” clearly their isn’t much good to say. Quit being a complainer and go to work. Do you think Bear Bryant wasn’t hard on his players? Probably a whole lot worse then it is today.

27. UKsoggy85
    2:19 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

24…Petrino is a stubborn, tyrant scumbag who doesn’t treat his staff or players with respect. sounds a lot like Billy Clyde to me.

28. Rodney King
    2:57 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Can’t we all just get along?!? Let’s meet in the middle and go after Petrino… PAUL PETRINO. He has the offense of Bobby without all the baggage. Thoughts??

29. Bubba Hotep
    3:14 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Petrino is nothing like BCG. Bunch of friggin’ morons on this site…..

30. UKsoggy85
    3:34 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

29)both BCG & Petrino have been known to alienate their players & staff…also very adult of you calling me a moron for expressing my opinion. We are all UK fans, why must we resort to childish name-calling?

31. Boooohooo
    3:44 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

What a p u ss y

Heck I played soccer 21 yrs thru college and hell even at soccer coaches tore into u at the highest level! I would think football even more so!

This player is a puss

32. Han
    3:59 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

Every time this stuff comes out about a coach, you wonder how much it is just a spoiled kid who’s never been told he sucked by all his hangers-on versus a psycho coach screaming profanity over nothing.

33. putinrichie
    5:15 pm November 11, 2012 Permalink

I’ve been telling the “Hire Mike Leach Brat Pack” for the last 12 months that he would be a terrible hire for UK Football. Some might think he would be an upgrade over Joker, but Mike Leach has disaster written all over him and I want nothing to do with bringing him to UK.

34. bluesince66
    7:32 am November 12, 2012 Permalink

Sounds like the definition of a quitter to me.