Trent Johnson said Malcolm White’s foul was “stupid”

Monday is the day all the SEC coaches pick up their cellular telephones to talk to the media, and LSU head coach Trent Johnson had a few interesting things to say today.

First, he discussed Malcolm White’s flagrant foul on Anthony Davis in Saturday’s game against the Cayts. Johnson said he does have additional punishment for White but he will deal with it in house. He called the foul stupid and very disturbing and said he called Calipari to apologize after the game.

Johnson also praised Terrence Jones’s big game against his team. He said if he continues to play like that, “you can crown them right now.”

He gets it.

Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

39 Comments for Trent Johnson said Malcolm White’s foul was “stupid”

1. CarloTheDon
    12:14 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

Malcolm White is a waste of a sperm

2. V
    12:17 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

I will add to that #1. To say there are thousands of those little booger swimming and he was the fastest to get to the egg.

3. james
    12:18 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

With every passing game, I begin to accept the fact that the biggest obstacle between us and a national title is an injury.

I’m ready to say we’re more likely to win it than not.

4. MN CAT
    12:19 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

Johnson looked very upset after the foul. I couldn’t tell whether he was upset with his player, upset because he thought Cal was overreacting, or upset with the refs for calling a flagrant 2. Glad it was the first.

5. manbearpig
    12:20 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

BBN “Hike for our Heroes” which was started by a fellow Kentuckian in support of military families needs only 4k more likes on Facebook to get a $25,000 grant to help military families. They have about a day left!!! Please help spread the word!! http://on.fb.me/zMBqsD

6. UK#1Fan
    12:24 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

Hey has anyone heard of some kid in Eastern KY named Justin Johnson who plays for Sheldon Clark? I was told he is only 15 but has the body of a D-1 player. He is averaging a double double and has mad hops. Heard he had a reverse dunk against JCHS on Friday Night.

7. WinchesterUKfan
    12:25 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

I still to this day don’t understand why LSU got rid of John Brady as their head coach a few years back. He had LSU the best they had been in a long time and arguably had the best team in the west division of the SEC. No disrespect to Trent Johnson, but I wonder if LSU wishes they could undo that firing!

8. the Big Dog
    12:35 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

I think Johnson deserves the blame for the dangerous tactics LSU used in their attempt to stay with Kentucky. LSU”s game plan was to knock Davis out of the game whether it was kneeing him in the head, pulling him to the floor from behind, or striking him across the face on a layup. Johnson is obviously desperate in trying to keep his job, but this is not the way to do it. I thought O’Bryant looked very strong. Too bad he picked LSU over UK.

9. Travis
    12:36 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

#5, Liked and shared on my facebook as well!

10. Bledsoe's Biceps
    12:38 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

Where’s that guy from Saturday’s comments? The one who was all over the Illuminate connection because of the sign Anthony Davis was making in the picture of the Tiger visit. He would be the first to tell us Trent Johnson must also be a card carrying member, because he is standing up for AD. On a serious note…glad to hear Johnson disapproved and is dealing with White.

11. Cleatonite
    12:38 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

I think Trent Johnson looks like the elf Creature, from Harry Potter. Google it, it’s true.

12. Southcat
    12:50 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

White needs some punishment handed down from the SEC, the teams we’ve played so far have been getting rougher with Davis every game played, the SEC needs to set an example before someone really hurts him!!! Be a shame to lose the kid due to coaches telling their players to “take him out”.

13. CatsfaninFL
    12:53 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

#8 – the game plan all year against UK has been to play a rougher style. Not only are we a little thin weightwise, we’re also thin rotationwise and getting us into foul trouble can force us to a more inexperienced lineup.

But LSU’s play while hard, wasn’t that aggregeious sans the White takedown. That knee to the head was AD falling down and landing on his knee…not him kneeing AD. And that hit across the face happens multiple times in the game when you go for a block (although it should have been a foul, it wasn’t flagrant or intentional…just a missed block attempt). Those were the results of tough play… White’s foul was the result of frustration and deserved the expulsion.

Johnson very well may have told his boys to play rough, but the examples you used outside of the obvious take down were nothing more than you see in a typical game.

14. kfund
    1:03 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

SEC needs to look at White. Believe he was the one involved with the flagrants vs Alabama as well.

Class move to call Cal afterwards.

The kneeing wasn’t intentional. Pulling him down on the other hand…

15. pioneer
    1:05 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

#11 maybe he looks more like Squidward from Sponge Bob….

16. Sammydog
    1:07 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

Trent Johnson is one of the classiest coaches in the SEC and has always been very complimentary of the UK program. I feel certain he did not advise his players to intentionally hurt UK players. He seemed genuinely distressed by what happened.

17. alaeotus
    1:10 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

Good call by Coach Johnson, but the real test is what he does about White at this point. If he puts that player who committed such a “stupid” (and thuggish, and unacceptable-in-basketball) act back on the court in the next game, then his words were of no value.

18. SigmundFreud
    1:10 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

LOL, after all the sperm talk, I mistakenly read it as “Hike for our Herpes”.

19. Al's IndiCats
    1:11 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

AD is probably going to get this type of treatment the rest of the year. But I’ll have to admit he’s a heluva lot stronger and tougher than I earlier thought. For him to flat out get mugged, bumped, shoved, hit, and pulled, that young man is a BEAST!!!!!!! Just wondering how he’s going to play when we play Miss. St. with baby Lump Lump laying all over him.

20. Al B. Sure
    1:14 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

Please go vote for Darius Miller on Dunks of the Year on Facebook:

21. Al B. Sure
    1:17 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

Coach Johnson kinda reminds me of the Eagle on the Muppets… but classy move by him calling Cal to apologize.

22. CatSinceBirth
    1:47 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

I haven’t played ball for 48 years, but things like this happen in the heat of the battle. Sure, he was wrong, and I would have loved to hear an apology from the young man instead of his coach. For us to chastise this young man like he’s a thug simply isn’t right. I venture to say, he never does something like that again. We can’t forget, our coach has been trying to get our guys to play tougher too. We have a tendency to look at anything negative through blue tinted glasses. That coach Johnson spoke up and informed us as to the approach he took is good enough for me. Now, if the young man does this again, that’s a different. story. At least Coach Johnson crowned us the champs. I bet this will really help to ignite a spark in Terrence Jones. I know it would me. Please don’t hate one me as I’m an old man.

23. pcefrog5
    1:50 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

I agree that the knee to the head was accidental, but am I the only
    one that noticed he was slung to the ground from behind on that play?

24. wildcatfan4ever
    2:05 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

#23 – I also saw where Hickey pulled on Anthony’s jersey and slung him down to the ground. Now that was what I felt like was intentional on that particular play….not Anthony landing on the player’s knee.

25. youknow
    2:08 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

Classy move by their coach.

26. Bluecalizone
    2:17 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

#6-He’s not from Sheldon Clark, he’s from Knott Central, and no he doesn’t have the body of a D-1 Player, but he does have the game. He scored like 48 in the Mt Classic, and if he continues to develop his body and his skills, he is the best player I’ve seen in state in I don’t know when.

27. Huff
    2:31 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

Classy move by Coach Johnson to pick up the phone and call Cal with an apology after the game. You’ve gotta respect a class-act like that.

28. SCHS
    3:18 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

#26 Justin Johnson plays for Sheldon Clark. He is 6ft 5in 210 pound White Boy and a beast on Offense and Defense. He did play in the MT Classic and dominated. He is on Rivals.com as a player in the 2014 class. He has had visits from 4 D-1 schools and is a player that UK should begin to look at. He should grow to about 6-8 or more as his dad is tall as well. Would be a huge in state get for the Cats.

29. SCHS
    3:20 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

#26 you are thinking of Cameron Justice

30. High Point Cat Fan
    3:24 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

#13 – My thoughts exactly. Things do happen in a game that is physical, and you stated it perfectly. Too bad White did what he did and I hope he gets his due punishment. Coach Johnson has shown remorse for White’s transgression, and he will handle it as he sees fit. Classy move to call Cal with his apology. Now, on to conquer the Vols. Go Big Blue!!!!!

31. Me
    3:29 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

GO TJ!!

32. Momma White
    3:38 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

I’ll take care of this.

33. UK#1Fan
    4:05 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

Sorry I thought I was talking about a rather unknown player. But it seems he is well known. ESPN has Justin Johnson from Sheldon Clark as the #27 PF in the class of 2014 and currently the #8 overall high school player in the state. Reggie Rankin Likes him too. Indiana is crazy about this kid has already had him on campus. Coach Cal needs to look at this home grown talent.

34. dalebrown
    4:52 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

Trent Johnson looks like a photonegative of me.

35. TheColoradoWildcat
    5:02 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

Some of your guys are unbelievable. Stating that coaches are telling their players to “take Davis out!” I do not believe that a coach would put his career on the line by telling kids that. Besides, do you not think for a minute that if they did, the kids would leak it on Twitter? We surely would find out about such “orders” from a coaching staff, and then the SEC would definitely deal with it. They still should, IMO he should get at least a one game suspension, maybe more. That would at least make kids think twice about it.

At least White’s coach showed a lit of class regards the incident, or so it would appear. Guess we really do not know if it happened or not, just him saying it did. If in fact he did that, it does show class. If he is simply covering his butt, well not so classy. Would be nice for Coach Cal to confirm the phone call, and give a shout-out for the Class Act done by Coach Johnson.

Guarantee you that Coach Knight [excuse me, Coach Stupid] would not have done that, as he has never done for the “love” tap to our other beloved Coach , Joe B.

Hopefully, the SEC Leaders will “man-up” and take care of business, otherwise, they are of no more use than the NCAA Leaders. Come to think of it, they NCAA could man-up and put a suspension on White, or at least lend some pressure on LSU to “get-r-done!”

36. ItsMillerTime
    5:23 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

#26 The Johnson kid is good but they are still not the best team in the 14th Region. Google Jaysean Paige …. he plays for Perry Central now.

37. Harlanhick
    5:25 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

Glad to hear that Johnson addressed this and that he will take care of it. Good enough.

38. STEVE!
    5:49 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

35 – I doubt Johnson told anybody to take any ‘Cat out, but I do believe these coaches with teams with very little basketball skills are telling their players to “be physical” (grab, push, hack, elbow) in order to try to stay close. We will see the same thing from UT Tuesday night as I heard their coach state that on his post-game show after the Auburn game. LSU got carried away trying to “be physical”, and forgot the main purpose is to outscore the other team.

39. Bob Loblaw
    10:02 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

I wonder if Stallings would show as much class if it was one of his players that commited the flagrant foul.