Tracy McGrady’s Wednesday News and Views

Why Tracy McGrady?

Because he’s back in the NBA. That’s why.

McGrady signed a contract with the San Antonio Spurs on Tuesday that will have him wearing silver and black throughout the remainder of the season. McGrady had been playing in China and drinking Xuejin beer, but returns to the league for the first time since his stint with the Atlanta Hawks during the 2011-12 season. The former NBA superstar fills the open spot left by the release of Stephen Jackson last week, and he is eligible for the playoffs since he was not previously on an NBA roster.

McGrady played in seven All-Star games during the pinnacle of his career, prior to serious knee injuries at the age of 29. He also claims to be a fan of the Kentucky Wildcats and has said many times before that he would’ve played at UK if not for the millions of dollars in front of him right out of high school in the NBA. He attended Kentucky’s game against North Carolina in Rupp Arena in 2011, ya know, the one that ended with Anthony Davis’ game-winning block. For that, #BBN should be supportive of his return to the league.

Welcome back, T-Mac.

Wednesday marks the opening day of the spring signing period for incoming college basketball players. That means Kentucky should receive signed Letters of Intent from Dakari Johnson, Dominique Hawkins and Julius Randle very soon. Hawkins and Johnson could sign as early as Wednesday, but I assume Randle will wait until next week when he returns home to Texas from the Nike Hoop Summit in Portland. Once all three LOIs are in, Kentucky will officially have an unprecedented eight basketball signees from the 2013 recruiting class. That is insane. And exciting.

A potential ninth commitment is still out there and making headlines this week as his recruitment comes closer and closer to its conclusion. Andrew Wiggins, the best UK target since (Insert Your Favorite Basketball Player), set up three visits for next week, despite recent online reports that he’s done hearing from potential schools. He will meet with Roy Williams and North Carolina on Monday, Bill Self and his hair piece on Tuesday, and Leonard Hamilton and Florida State on Wednesday. Kentucky isn’t expected to schedule a trip, which shouldn’t concern you at all. Remember, John Calipari visited Wiggins on “Andrew Wiggins Day” in Huntington on March 28 to answer any final questions Wiggins may have. Cal knows Wiggins has all the information he needs and understands all that UK has to offer, so making a “final push” with the other three schools is unnecessary. Of course, you could read into this as UK is out of contention, but I believe Cal would be making that “final push” if that were the case. I think Kentucky is comfortable with its current position and will sit back and let the other three schools scramble to make a final impression, similar to what we saw from Mark Turgeon and Maryland with the Harrison twins — and we all know how that worked out. Just trust that Calipari is always making the right move and don’t lose sleep over the fact three of the four schools Wiggins is considering will be sitting down with him next week. Cal knows what he’s doing.

While Julius Randle, the Harrison twins, Karl Towns and Andrew Wiggins compete in the Nike Hoop Summit this weekend, two other future Wildcats will be gettin’ their all-star game on, too. Derek Willis and Dominique Hawkins will compete in the Kentucky Derby Festival Basketball Classic Friday night in Freedom Hall in Louisville. Hawkins was added to the roster last week after announcing his commitment to Kentucky. He and Willis are the first two Wildcats to participate in the Derby classic since Stacey Poole in 2010. Tickets are still available at Ticketmaster.com for those of you who would like to attend.

Archie Goodwin’s draft stock continues to slip as more and more player announce their intentions to enter the NBA draft. ESPN’s Chad Ford has Archie at No. 31 on his most recent board, down nine spots from the last update a few weeks ago. Ford recently said Archie was the one who needed to return to Kentucky the most, out of the four players considering leaving, due to his lack of strength in the lane and inconsistent jump shot. That echoes what Calipari told Archie in their discussions, but the league was too attractive to turn down, apparently. Only at Kentucky does a player leave for the NBA out of fear of riding the pine if he returned to school.

James Michael McAdoo will return to North Carolina for his junior season. So, there’s that. It’s just one more NBA prospect that’ll be on the court when Kentucky meets North Carolina in Chapel Hill in December. Michigan State’s Gary Harris is also expected to announce his return to college soon.

Neal Brown was a guest on Kentucky Sports Radio radio Tuesday morning and he had a number of interesting things to say about where Kentucky football stands after spring ball. First, Brown was very appreciative of the turnout at Saturday’s Blue/White game; he said it was a huge night and it shows how much Big Blue Nation wants college football to be successful at Kentucky. He called it a huge boost to recruiting, especially with so many top targets in town for the scrimmage, and the current players also fed off the fan base’s electricty. “Our kids see that the fan base really wants to get behind them,” he said. “Now it’s our job, it’s our players’ job, to give them a product they can be proud of.”

Brown also talked about the talent on the current roster and who stood out in spring practices. He said Jalen Whitlow is much improved, but warned fans to be careful judging the quarterbacks based on Saturday’s scrimmage. He also praised the play of Reese Phillips at quarterback in the spring game in front of a crowd four times larger than any he’s ever played in front of.

Kentucky is thin at wide receiver, according to Brown, but the group got a lot better over the 15 spring practices. He said the summer will be crucial for the receivers because they have to get better at catching the ball, running routes and being in synch with the quarterbacks. He called the receiving core the group that needs to improve the most on offensive. Help is on the way with Javess Blue, Ryan Timmons, Alex Montgomery, and Jeff Badet, but Brown said he has to mold the guys he has because “we’re not getting anyone else off the waiver wire.”

Brown said there was a big question mark at running back entering spring practice, but now he’s as confident with the backs as he is with any other position on that side of the ball. “Ray Sanders had a decent spring game but he’s really stood out over the 15 practices as being the top one and the most consistent,” Brown said of the probable starter. “Dy’Shawn Mobley has a large amount of talent, he just has to get a little more detail-oriented. Josh Clemons has really pushed here in the last week and it was exciting because a couple of the cuts he made on Saturday were off his bad knee, and that was crucial. And then Jonathan George is just a steady guy, you don’t always notice him, but he’s productive.”

Tuesday’s radio show will be tough to top but I think we’re set up to pull it off on Wednesday when Nerlens Noel makes an appearance on KSR. Nerlens will be on the radio show with Matt and Ryan to discuss all things Kentucky, his future in the NBA, and whatever else comes up throughout the interview. Nerlens is a great talker, which isn’t always the case with someone his age, so it should make for a great show. I just hope we can get the headphone on him.

We’d like to give a big congratulations to Mary Jo Perino on her last newscast with LEX 18 on Tuesday. MJP is moving on to a career away from TV and we wish her the best in the next chapter of her life. She’s a KSR favorite and we’ll make sure she always has a platform to talk UK sports whenever she gets the urge. I’m sure there will be a KSR-MJP project in the future.

On the baseball diamond, Kentucky failed to complete the season sweep of the Louisville Cardinals in a home game at Cliff Hagan Tuesday night. The 17th-ranked Wildcats fell to the 8th-ranked Cards 12-5 in a game that saw Mark Stoops throw a perfect strike for the ceremonial first pitch.

stoops-pitch

stoops-pitch2
(Photos by Regina Rickert)

That’ll do it for tonight.

Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

37 Comments for Tracy McGrady’s Wednesday News and Views

1. AJH
    11:20 pm April 16, 2013 Permalink

How it all shakes out…

An. Harrison Aa. Harrison J. Polson
    Aa. Harrison J. Young
    A. Wiggins A. Poythress
    J. Randle K. Wiltjer M. Lee
    W. Cauley-Stein D. Johnson

2. AJH
    11:21 pm April 16, 2013 Permalink

And yes, i think Aaron Harrison could find hiself playing backup point at times. Have a feeling Hawkins might be redshirting

3. Bobbum man
    11:35 pm April 16, 2013 Permalink

3- thanks I don’t think I’ve seen anyone post out potential roster next year….

As far as wiggins I don’t know about anyone else but seems like of Cal felt he needed to make a push he would be… I feel it’s gonna be us or UnC with macadoo coming back they worry me a little bit as far as competing for a title and getting nba ready (competing against the best) but again don’t see why Cal would just be sitting back and why he visited wiggins weeks ago but now 3 coaches visiting in a few days? I dunno makes me feel a little better about our chances really fact of the matter is cal knows what he is doing and he’s the best at it… Only question now is can he get Jai Lucas

4. Bobbum man
    11:36 pm April 16, 2013 Permalink

5. Stoops
    11:37 pm April 16, 2013 Permalink

I believe my throw hit 100mph

6. catsfan32
    11:40 pm April 16, 2013 Permalink

AJH-completely agree except I’m gonna throw poythress at starting SF with JY as his backup. Not saying Wiggins isn’t coming, just not gonna write something that’s not a sure thing yet lol the actual rotation will consist of about 8 guys consistently. IMO Marcus lee won’t play much this year, but that’s based on the mcdonalds game and Jordan brand classic. Good passer, just needs time to develop his offensive skills and footwork

7. Mirrored Image
    11:42 pm April 16, 2013 Permalink

Love the photos from fans in the stands. Ms Regina Rickert you and I see a lot of the same events. googled your name and found a lot of pics you took that I saw in real time..nice. Anyway, I wanted to say I like these Stoops shots. Made me realize how much Stoops and I have in common, except I’m left-handed, have grey hair and I don’t coach an up and coming college football team that has a huge fanbase. However, our torsos are somewhat similar. Peace.

8. UK Freshmen
    11:54 pm April 16, 2013 Permalink

How? How can a coach preach discipline and dedication, when he can’t deny himself that second helping of pie? Gawd, he’s FAT!?

9. Neal Brown
    12:09 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

Loyd Christmas and I go to the same barber. I believe the bowl the barber uses is the same one as well.

10. Catlanta
    12:16 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

Man, the dirty birds even stomped our baseball team. What’s next? They win the college world series?

11. LeX
    12:29 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

Wow Drew, one of the greatest sportscasters and television personalities in the history of American sports dies, Pat f*&king Summerall for all you idiots out there, and you give the news and views post to Tracy Mcgrady.

Its like youre not even an American Drew.

12. Dumb
    12:45 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

8) you’re retarded. He’s like 40. I’m sure when he played for Iowa he was in great shape. If he were coaching 40 year olds I would see your point. Actually no, I wouldn’t. If he was a player coach like old school MLB days I would see your point, but he gets paid for his mind, these players are paid (via scholarships) for their bodies

13. True
    12:56 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

#10 – I agree. They have owned us in everything lately.

14. T-Mac fan
    1:06 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

I grew up loving wathcing T-Mac play! Glad to see hes back in the league again!

15. Merlin's
    1:20 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

Tracy McGrady had the illest shoes of any nba superstar. The Kobe’s were alright and Jordan’s stay Jordan’s but the T-Mac line was the hot shit

16. Best to Keep 'Em Low
    4:35 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

#12-When it comes to UK Freshmen, it’s best if you learn to keep your expectations as low as possible. That way, you won’t be surprised by his inane posts.

17. MJP
    5:57 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

I’ve got nice pups. You know it…and I know it, too!

18. BigBoyBlue
    6:25 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

Pat Summerall > Tracy McGrady

19. SexnNursinHomes
    6:46 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

hahah @ Franklin. Wiggins meeting up with Self and his hair piece.

20. PrimaDonna
    7:04 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

Can we PLEASE stop hearing any more Wiggins Watch reports!!! Yeah, IF he comes to UK I will be excited. But, I’m so tired of hearing about this person who doesn’t like all the attention. #GetReal

21. SexnNursinHomes
    7:11 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

20- really? All you have to do is not type in kentuckysportsradio.com. It’s pretty easy to do.

I for one love the Wiggins Watch. It kills time till the summer practice reports come out.

22. Bradley
    7:12 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

I think it sucks that you never mention the current wide receiver core. Help is on the way. We will see how these incoming freshman handle the SEC. It’s a lot different racking up huge yards against inferior opponents.

23. RealCatsFan
    7:15 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

#8, unlike you, Stoops doesn’t have the benefit of all of that crystal meth, cocaine and crown royal to help him stay “junkie-slender”. Now get off your momma’s government-issued laptop, trim your linebeard, and clip her toenails for her – since she’s too fat to do it herself.

24. RealCatsFan
    7:16 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

19 – Self and his little furry friend who perches on top of his head. I wonder if it has a name?

25. SexnNursinHomes
    7:25 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

24- I dunno his toupee’s name, but I just googled it. Apparently Self’s hair piece has its own twitter account, and the last tweet said “Bill Self doesn’t wear me, I wear Bill Self”.

26. Hazard Kidd-Katt
    7:35 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

Mary Jo Perino … she will be missed.

27. tuxedo park
    7:43 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

Cal either knows he has Wiggins in the bag or knows he’s going somewhere else. I’d love UK to get him, but either way we’ll have a great team. And Cal isn’t doing any last second groveling like all the other guys. He’s got game like he read the directions.

28. Billy
    8:40 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

Went to the baseball game last night. Happen to follow Matt Jones into the restroom. Never figured him to be a “Stall” man. But that explains alot!!

29. 6xJimmy
    8:49 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

Who would have thought that a SG that made 1 3pter in the first 3/4ths of the SEC season, does not play good defense, and does not pass the ball, would not be a NBA 1st rounder?

30. Jacob Brooks
    8:53 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

To me it looks like Wiggins is leaning UK and the other coaches are trying to get a last word in.

Us not visiting doesn’t at all suggest were in trouble. Quite the opposite. Were not showing any last second desperation

31. Bama Football
    9:34 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

Man, Stoops is a fat ass. Have some pride.

32. MJPisHOT
    9:45 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

I like when MJP gets urges.

33. kfund
    10:03 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

Coach looks like “The Skipper”

34. RealCatsFan
    10:21 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

28, I would venture that since he saw a perv like you entering the restroom at the same time, he elected to use the stall rather than having to worry about you trying to peep at his equipment. Bet you’re one of those guys who will take the very next urinal when there are six open ones on the other side of the bathroom. Any relation to Tom Crean?

35. Stoops
    11:21 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

31 I have pride in my bank account. what’s your balance? I’ll eat what I want, peasant.

36. truBLU
    11:58 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

#15…I still rock my UK blue and white T-Mac’s on occasion! They are old as hell but still some of my fav shoes. Best thing I ever bought at Turfland Mall haha.

37. seduzir mulheres
    1:31 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

We are not certain the location you’re obtaining your facts, however superior topic. I actually needs to devote more time to learning extra and also comprehending more. Thank you for amazing info I became looking for this info in my assignment.