Towles has a high-ankle sprain, out against Arkansas

1. Jalen Whitlow
2. Morgan Newton

That is Kentucky’s depth at the quarterback position going into the game at Arkansas on Saturday.

Joker Phillips announced today that Patrick Towles has a high-ankle sprain and will be out for at least a week. The injury will not require surgery and he will be evaluated on a week-to-week basis.

A medical redshirt is a possibility.

Article written by Drew Franklin

21 Comments for Towles has a high-ankle sprain, out against Arkansas

1. SeaCat
    12:37 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Meager protection against SEC defenses.

2. tltaworl
    12:41 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Yes, rest him then he will lead us to 5 straight wins and a bowl game. – said no one

3. ankle man
    12:43 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Whats the deal? Everytime a player sprains his ankle it’s a “high ankle” sprain.Then it takes weeks to heal-geez!! Can Coach Cal not send some of his guys by the locker room before game time to wrap these ankles–As Papa Brooks use to say this makes me sick to my stomach!!!!!!!

4. stan
    12:47 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

I love Patrick,but does anyone think his not playing will make a difference in the final result??

5. Catlogic15
    12:51 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

The medical redshirt is a no brainer now unless Joker has gone insane.

6. PattyIce
    12:54 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

I’ll be back in 2 weeks to play against Georgia. I want to solidify my spot as the number 1 in games this year so the fans can see I am that much better then Smith! Fans cant see practice so I gotta do it in games.

7. RealCatsFan
    12:55 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

#3, I have had a high ankle sprain, and unless it is very slight, look for him to be out at least 3 weeks. A H.A.S. is not your garden variety ankle sprain where you just roll your ankle and it is swollen and maybe black & blue for a week or so. These take a lot of time and rehab to heal properly, in most cases. If Joker has any respect at all for whomever his successor will be (and he has to know that he is done by now), then he will RS Towles if for no other reason than to salvage the future of this young man and the UK fb program after this train wreck of a season.

8. Rockfield, KY
    12:59 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

7. HAS is a killer. When I had mine, the doctor told me most take longer to heal than if you actually broke it. Of course, some people recovery quickly from them if they aren’t severe and can play on them. We’ll see I guess.

Just and FYI, it’s been said that UK won’t fire a coach mid season unless he is guaranteed a losing record. If we lose this week, then our 7th loss will be against UGA.

9. Truth
    1:03 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

We have played half of our games and lost 2 of the 4 QB’s. It’s a good thing we’re not playin in a bowl or else we wouldn’t have a QB at the rate we are goin. Or much of a team for that matter.

10. Turner the Burner
    1:26 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

He can only get a medical redshirt if a docror doesn’t clear him before the end of the season. If the Dr clears him, nothing Joker can do.

11. tom
    1:29 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

#9 – By the Tennessee game last year, we didn’t have a QB either

12. PattyIce
    1:35 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Im not going to medical redshirt. Ill be back for the Georgia game.

13. portlandky
    1:36 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

What good would a QB do? You need coaches with half a brian to win any game.

14. Dave
    1:52 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Let me see if I can get this straight. We pull the Redshirt for 2 series’s against MSU. Towles gets hurt and now he is out probably for the season so now we have to apply for a medical redshirt. So now we loose the Medical redshirt probably for the rest of his career because the NCAA wont do that twice. So his only hope now is redshirt however, he still gets backs up Maxwell and Whitlow. \#12 That would be the best thing for him tell the coaching staff.

15. SoCal Will
    2:04 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

#7&#8) Have to agree. My experience was similar. Most people lose mobility for a full 3-4 weeks. We will be bowl ineligible in two weeks so apply for the red shirt….

16. PattyIce
    2:21 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Ya Ill give Joker a call later today lol…Im just saying a medical redshirt will not happen.

17. Willie Nelson
    2:40 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Good gawd, if Whitlow gets hurt I would rather see the walk-on freshman QB from Bowling Green out there than Morgan Newton. He can’t be any worse than Newton.

18. Beavis
    2:59 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Towles should not have been in the game in the first place. You can’t believe anything these coaches say,,,,Morgan Newton was good enough to challenge Smith for the starting job and now he isn’t even good enough to back up Whitlow ?? Somebody is full of it.

19. crackerhillbilly
    4:13 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Not sure the Medical Redshirt is actually an option……might be up to some interpretation, but I thought the NCAA rules stated participation in less than 30% of contests, none after the mid-point of the season and a season-ending injury. If Towles can medically return, maybe the NCAA would turn the MR down? If that should be the case, what a disaster for the young man.

20. Beavis
    4:51 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

# 19,,,,,maybe Emmert would come to Lexington and check out Towles for himself. LOL Dumb bastard would find some way to screw UK.

21. SevenT
    5:43 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Cry Baby Towles!!

This guy is weak, Towels has been crying all year about getting to play. He plays a couple of minutes then goes down with an injury? Man up Towles, this is the SEC not High School. Or just sit on the bench and learn and keep your mouth SHUT. Not that complicated.