Touring The New Locker Room In The Most Ridiculous Manner Possible

This afternoon I had the privilege of touring the new locker room renovations in Rupp Arena with other members of the local media.  And like Charlie Bucket and his Grandpa Joe in Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory, I separated myself from the group to snoop around without supervision.  Here are some of the photos from my golden ticket visit to Rupp Arena…

It’s so beautiful.

The actual floor from the 2012 Final Four at the Superdome, now the floor of the Kentucky locker room.

Don’t give up on your dreams, kids.  Maybe one day you’ll be lacing up in here.

Like this guy.

A replica of the National Championship trophy, and a Joe Craft shout-out, at the entrance to the locker room.

If you stand directly in front of it and cross your eyes, it’s like you’re there.  Kind of.

Maybe I got a little too comfortable.

Three sharpies, four paperclips, some paper and a “Victory Starts Here” medallion from Fort Jackson.

Bare.

I found Coach Antigua’s secret to swag buried deep inside his locker.  Almonds.  Gordon Food Service almonds.

Armani.  I checked the tags.

But no Afternoon Notes or Podcast to go along with it.

Nicer than anything you or I will ever shower in.

Yes, it’s perfectly normal to run out to the nearest drug store and buy these.  I refuse to use anything else.

Tonight’s LEX 18 newscast will be classic clean and free of flakes.

I dared him to get in.  He wouldn’t.

I swore on my firstborn child that I’d never take a mirror pic.  I guess the Kentucky basketball locker room changes people.

“Hey, Malone, you’re on the left.” ~ Nerlens

Typical.

I know a Malone’s chicken quesadilla when I see one.  I can also tell when it’s been sitting in the fridge for a week, and this one has.

Postgame treats!!!

This is where opposing teams get ready to lose.

This is where they rinse the defeat off.

It really is incredible…

Article written by Drew Franklin

33 Comments for Touring The New Locker Room In The Most Ridiculous Manner Possible

1. LuvDaCats
    7:23 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

I really hope the floor is easily interchangable, the New Orleans floor will be out dated within 2 years

2. dadude
    7:29 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Thanks !!! awesome insight most don’t get to see….

3. We Hang Banners
    7:30 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Your move everybody else. This is REAL college basketball.

4. SeoulCat
    7:30 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

And judging from that mirror photo Drew, it looks like broken water might give way to your firstborn child at any moment.

5. Facts
    7:35 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Is it really smart to be showing off a multi-million dollar locker room while crying poor in Frankfort and begging for football renovations? Maybe spend some of the money they spent on that shower over at Commonwealth.

6. nate
    7:40 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

is that Matt Jones i see on jeopardy

7. Fan
    7:41 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

5, different money, different donors. The primary donor (Joe Craft) can dictate where the money is used. Same reason he gives additional money to the general university fund as well.

8. J. Ellus
    7:41 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Hello…my name is J. Ellus

9. J. Ellus
    7:43 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

#1, I don’t think it will be changed. That was our return to prominence (yet again) and something that all future teams (even past Cal’s era) will need to remember. We’ve always refused to lose.

10. Sandusky
    7:47 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Nice showers.

11. CPACAT
    7:48 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Coach O needs to screw the lid on his almonds all the way…they will dry out something awful!

12. WildCatSuperFan
    7:52 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Got to take a tour myself while at a tech conference at Rupp. They hadn’t quite finished, so we didn’t get to see a few parts, but I did set in Cal’s chair 🙂 The whole place is amazing. I especially like the area with the final four floor. Pictures just don’t do it justice.

13. Derek
    7:58 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky wildcats TV did a cool video of the new locker room http://youtu.be/0u89SizWxCo

14. The Silent Partner
    7:58 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

“Nicer than anything you or I will ever shower in”? You’re trying to tell me you’ve never been in a golden shower?

15. UK
    8:08 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

#5 Everything basketball has recently has been funded through private donations (i.e. Locker Room, Craft Center, Wildcat Coal Lodge). That’s why its the “Joe Craft Basketball Suite.” Football needs to show something before people donate six figures to it.

16. Clark
    8:35 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Dammit, #5. Nothing will ever please people like you. You’re one of the worst kind of people because you clearly think you’re offering some fresh, superior perspective when in reality you come off sounding like a petulant child.

17. Horsepower
    8:46 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

That shoud say Malone to the right because Nelens hangs much lower.

18. Shelbyjoe
    8:47 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

I was hoping drew would uncover the truth behind Robic’s glowing hair.

19. Big Whoop
    8:51 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

This is obviously the gold standard. Even the visitors’ locker room is better than most.

#5- you really don’t much about what’s going on at UK, do you? Joe Craft is a private individual and when he donates to the university, he gets to say where that money goes. This is true for any non-profit organization, be it a university, hospital, church or whatever. The organization receiving that money can refuse it, but if they accept the moneythey MUST follow the wishes of the donor. Sorry you don’t understand that.

20. JoeMoney333
    8:54 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

5. You mean it looks bad to those uneducated on how funding works, like yourself.

21. Cats in the NBA
    8:55 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

That shot of Cutler in the shower is creepy.

22. Dude
    9:15 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

KSR has been getting alot of bs lately but this what this site’s all about. Solid post Drew.

23. Nestle
    9:57 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

They really do poop ice cream!

24. JACKRABBIT8
    10:00 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

I wonder if they pooped all of that ice cream that’s in the freezer? Maybe we really do have some ice cream poopers!!

25. spellbounding
    10:34 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Wow…you guys are crazy. That was SO ridiculous!

26. Dodgeball22
    11:17 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Shouldn’t there be Pepsi products in the fridge?

27. Dhodges87
    12:00 am January 9, 2013 Permalink

Is that a weird shower head in the visitors locker room or do they have to shower with a big fat single stream of water?

28. Seth
    12:19 am January 9, 2013 Permalink

The opposing locker room showers look like their 30 years old.

29. Sadcatfan
    2:28 am January 9, 2013 Permalink

It’s so sad how UK has sold out to big coal. I would not be proud to have the name of a dirt bag like Joe Craft anywhere near my facility. Other than that it looks fist class.

30. Bledsoe's Biceps
    8:05 am January 9, 2013 Permalink

29) And OMG think of all the trees that died to build those lockers and that Final Four floor. Will the insanity never end? Tell ya what….Buy a bicycle powered generator to run your PC, charge your phone, run your lights, your fridge, etc, etc and then get back to us.

31. chad
    8:18 am January 9, 2013 Permalink

#29….you really are sad.

32. kyle heavy
    8:26 am January 9, 2013 Permalink

29 – Go hug a tree somewhere. Coal not only keeps the lights on, but it employs a huge chunk of Kentucky’s working class. Let’s keep penalizing ourselves and let countries like China progress. You can’t worry about clean air if we’re the only country practicing it. “Green Power” is more about political science than it is actual science.

33. Stumps