Topher Grace’s Tuesday News And Views

topher-grace-2

Happy 33rd birthday to the man we all affectionately know as ‘Dumbass.’  I have to admit to being a fan of That 70’s Show.  It was never a show you made sure you saw every new episode for, but as far as channel surfing goes, it was often the winner of the ‘what show do I not mind having on the least,’ roulette at mine and many of my friends houses.  Topher found a role that was perfect for a not exactly handsome, skinny, and awkward kid and rode Eric Foreman to moderate notoriety.  Unfortunately those same characteristics have likely type cast Grace, as it’s tough to take him seriously as a super villain or a romantic lead in a rom-com.  So thank you Topher for making us laugh occasionally after school and good luck with your future writing career.  Oh, and happy birthday!

Quarter cup of news and a pinch of views and you’ve got…

— While most people are waiting out the hot summer months by counting down the days until Football season and Big Blue Madness, one man is out hitting the road.  That man is John Calipari.  The Calipari nation tour continues as he went to check out Forward Perry Ellis once again yesterday.  Or so we think.  Cal claims to have put on his hat and sunglasses in order to enter into ‘incognito mode,’ but the reports had him watching Ellis once again in Wisconsin.  This makes the 7th time Cal has watched the kid play, and we’re hoping Perry is starting to get the message. We certainly are.

— Speaking of recruits, ESPN had a nice wrap up of the Adidas camp in Indianapolis from this past week/weekend.  In it they went over the performances and games of a number of stand out recruits, many of which were interested in Kentucky.  I’ve pulled the two you are most likely interested in, but they also ran down some of the 2013 names you probably aren’t as familiar with, so hop on over to ESPN for the full wrap up.

Shabazz Muhammad (Las Vegas/ Bishop Gorman)
2012, SF, 6-4, 190 pounds
Muhammad is the ultimate energy-giver who elevates his team’s performance. He has an uncanny ability to finish plays thanks to his power and elite athleticism. He has lots of range on his jumper and he can drive past his opponent with a quick first step, especially going left. Muhammad’s dominant play has been very consistent because his effort is fantastic and he’s making a case for the top spot in the class.

Perry Ellis (Wichita, Kan./ Wichita Heights)
2012, PF/SF, 6-8, 215 pounds
Ellis is one of the better talents in the 2012 class and he can play either forward position, but is probably best as a mismatch 4-man. He is too big for small forwards and too quick and skilled for power forwards. However, the key is that he can guard both positions himself. Ellis is a very good rebounder and at his best inside 17 feet on the offensive end where he can catch and shoot or put the ball on the floor score. Ellis is being recruited by all of the big-timers and it is easy to see why.

— But while looking at the future is nice, it’s often more important to look at the present.  Presently, Terrence Jones has been almost the forgotten commodity of next years edition of Kentucky Basketball.  All the talk has focused around the talented freshmen, what role Darius Miller will play, and if Doron Lamb will break Jodie Meeks record of 54.  Meanwhile, Terrence Jones has the potential to be the biggest star of the bunch next year.  As far as raw talent goes, Jones may be second only to Anthony Davis on the team.  Throw in the year of experience, familiarity with Calipari and his system, as well as a more balanced offense that will open up opportunities for the sophomore and he is looking at a monster year.  I am as excited as anyone to see the new cats suit up and take their place in the Big Blue history books, but Terrence Jones version 2.0 has me doing back flips.

— Meanwhile, the football team continues to exude positive energy.  This is great news, as most Kentucky football fans are less than optimistic about the season – but if the team believes, then we will too.  Jacob Tamme’s biggest fan Larry Vaught caught up with a few wildcats, and they had nothing but positives to say about the new weapons UK will be bringing out on Offense.  The praise about Newton assuming the leadership role continues to be a huge story line, but freshman running back Josh Clemons has popped up as a name to watch now, too. According to former high school team mate and new Kentucky commit Jordan Watson, Clemons has the ability to ‘control the game’ with his run and be the guy to ‘break a 60-yard run to score,’ and shift the momentum back in your favor.  Now whether he will be able to do that in the SEC is yet to be seen, but I’ll add Clemons to the list of Freshmen to keep tabs on.

— The news I most enjoyed yesterday was that of the rebellious Ohio State visitor.  I hesitate to call them a student, because we assume Kentucky fans have more sense than to go to Ohio State, but there are always extenuating circumstances.  Still, Jared Sullinger tweeted out “So this guy on our campus is rocking an UK shirt on.  Mad respect.  He has a lot of balls. #Pause.” yesterday.  The only thing that would have made it more perfect would be if the guy had pulled out a basketball and hurled it off Sully’s chest.  I know it may not seem like a huge act, but when I went with my older sister so she could visit Duke in 1999, my dad made sure I wore my Kentucky Final Four shirt around campus too. I’m not positive that any Duke players saw me and then tweeted about my balls, but I think it’s a safe bet.

— Big Blue Nation, we are needed.  I know as well as you do just how dominant an internet force we can be when we get riled up (or when we’re bored,) and gosh darnit, we’re riled up right now (also: bored.)  Well you may remember the ESPY’s commercial featuring John Wall and B.J. Raji in a dance off.  If you do, the Huffington Post sports section is running a poll asking who has the better dance moves.  If you haven’t seen the video, you can do so there before voting. John is losing by about 20% right now, a number I think we can surely make a dent in by the morning.  I know the HuffPo has a tendency to be a liberal communist socialist fascist hangout, but let’s not worry about that and focus on what really matters.  John Wall, winning a poll on the internet about his dance moves.

Finally, if this clip can’t get you excited about soccer then you never will be.

More all day as we track what disguise Cal will use next in his ever changing game of Hide and Tweet.

Article written by Will Lentz

38 Comments for Topher Grace’s Tuesday News And Views

1. mocha
    1:12 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

Holla.

2. winning
    1:12 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

epic fail at louisville soccer camp with water main break shutting down entire campus sketchy ghetto school smh

3. byron
    1:23 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

A. Gus Johnson is WAY overrated as a commentator in all sports.

B. Totally ruined this clip. The original call was brilliant.

4. Chicareto
    1:39 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

go to hell bryon, gus johnson is the commentator with the same passion for the game as the fans
    Gus Johnson is the MAN.

5. SeoulCat
    2:02 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

Gus Johnson is good, but for football, Ian Darke is way better than Gus.
    Come on, Lentz. Link the clip with the original Darke commentary!

Here it is:

6. Lloyd Christmas
    2:21 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

3- A. You suck
    B. You must be one of ‘those’, huh? America’s top sports in order: Football. Basketball. Baseball. UFC. Nascar. Competitive Eating. Hockey. Women’s basketball. Then maybe soccer.

7. Blasphemy
    3:27 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

Ya, we have the poll licked already. By morning it will be a landslide and you can take it down.

8. Women Everywhere
    3:36 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

Major Onions indeed

9. boyd crowder's bible
    3:43 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

topher grace shout out? seriously? not trying to be mean but if you’re going to do this then take a look at last night’s news & views. see what i’m saying?

10. WFMAH
    4:36 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

59.73%

11. Dion
    6:55 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

Any one watchin the UNLV documentary. Enjoy it. 2nd best team, live, I’ve ever seen. 96 Cats woulda beat em…

12. Dion
    6:56 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

13. FrigFullofBeer
    7:17 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

Perry Ellis could be next Patrick Patterson? Cal really loves what he brings!

14. Brew Crew
    7:41 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

Agreed with 3 that Gus Johnson is overrated, and agreed with 5, the call by Ian Darke was better (and I’d only heard of him because of this game). An awesome game for anyone who likes competition, whether you are a soccer fan or not. Tune in tomorrow at 11:30 am for the semifinal!

15. Eric
    7:51 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

Wall now holds 68% of the dance off votes…. The Power of KSR!

16. cats11
    8:03 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

Ian Darke called it better.

17. tennesseeblue
    8:11 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

I agree… Ian Darke…no contest

18. Brent S
    8:21 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

Did anyone notice that today is the feast day of St. John Wall? http://www.americancatholic.org/Features/Saints/saint.aspx?id=1861

19. Grammar King
    8:25 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

It should be noted that the video is a voiceover from the USA-Algeria game in last year’s MEN’S World Cup match, where USA got a goal in the dying seconds of a 0-0 match where they needed to win to advance out of the group stage. The actual women’s game commentating was vastly underwhelming, so I appreciate the voiceover to make it that much more enthralling, but it is fake.

20. jaygee85
    8:41 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

lol, j wall is killin the poll now… John Wall 71.12%— B.J. Raji 28.88%

21. Yesterdays
    8:42 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

Boogie and his brother should enter WWE as a tag team.

22. RidgeRunner
    8:49 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

7…you nailed it.

BBN has responded & the poll is ours. Next?

23. Kwildcat
    9:00 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

rather see Kate Upton vs Jimmy Wall in dance OR Kate Upton makes the goal then groped by her teammates…….

24. RidgeRunner
    9:03 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

Oh & leave Sullinger alone!

How would you feel if ya had a basketball imprint tatoo-ed on your body? MUHAHA

25. Catsantonio
    9:21 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

Gus is the man. Great mix of soccer and Verne/Gus…..even though it doesn’t make sense when he says, “sleepless in Seattle”

26. UK#8
    9:28 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

Ok now I have heard it all. Im listening the Wazoo Sports Buzz and these idiots (not Chip) the other DA is saying that UK fan are more obsessed with UL basketball than UL is towards UK baskeball. WTF are they serious Uk doesnt give a rats a** about UL cause they suck we r the best program in College right now why do we care about a team that can not beat Morehead! hahaha hilarious!

27. Ron Jeremy
    9:31 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

I don’t know how a support for a mustache could follow or match the Jortstache of last year but with Cal going in-cognito it had me thinking… how terribly awesome would it be for Cal to rock a thick and bristly thigh tickler at some point next season. If we thought Cal had the attention of players/ fans before, what if the most distinguished man in all of sports sported a soup strainer on the sidelines while getting T’d up? Pitino would cry and the rest of the world would just finally accept that Cal can and will do anything he wants??? If nothing else, it is hilarious to think about. I think it something that BBN should at least discuss. somewhat #randomcomment

28. scoretowin
    9:59 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

Topher Grace? Come on Lentz. That is just awful.

29. 44 Stitches
    10:03 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

I’ve said on here before that Josh Clemons was a man among boys the 2 times I saw him play in high school. Both times I saw him play were against teams that went on to win state down here in GA. So it’s not like he was playing against some soft teams the times I saw him play.

30. Realist
    10:05 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

It’s absolutely embarrassing that any UK fan actually reads The Huffington Post, much less cares about a moronic dance poll in that liberal rag.

31. Plasticky
    10:11 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

It’s Bill Cosby’s birthday and you give a SO to Topher Grace turning 33? How about a funny line about wearing a fuzzy Huxtable sweater out in this 100 degree weather while eating a Jell-o Puddin’ Pop? Legend…or turd. Hmmm..I’ll write about the turd. Makes sense.

32. mocha
    10:31 am July 12, 2011 Permalink

from down 20% to up 50%, nice.

33. Vince
    12:08 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

I went to UNC Chapel Hill and wore a UK shirt to class / around town minimum three times a week. That, and my UK duffle bag (which I carried everywhere) made me REAL popular around campus LOL. My favorite shirt to wear was the UK2K “Greatest Tradition in College Basketball” shirt. They take some serious offense to that around Chapel Hill 🙂

34. wildcat69410
    12:57 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

Y’all do realize that this was Gus Johnson’s call from an old basketball game spliced with soccer footage, right? You can hear him say, “Morrison” when it’s Rapinoe floating the ball down to Wambach for the goal. Cleverly done though.

35. soccerballsflyin
    1:41 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

Look at that soccer game from a bb point of view. It was like playing Duke with 4 players for 40 min and winning. Go USA

36. SagaciousMind
    1:53 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

Ur crazy, the first few seasons of that 70s show made it a must watch every time. And if it’s on, it’s worth flippin to every time. one of the best sitcoms ever! Football will be better than people think, basketball will be awesome, Cal will start rollin in commitments, after all, it was august when Davis and Wiltjer committed, and the USA will win the world cup!!

37. Football Man
    5:03 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

I like that clanking metal sound when the ball hits the back of the net. I wonder if it is on purpose or just the way the goal’s net is stretched tight, or mic’d up. Anywho sounds cool!Awesome game! True American spirit! Never say never!

38. Adam
    5:45 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

There were plenty of extenuating circumstances for me to attend Ohio State, but giving up my allegiance to Big Blue Nation never crossed my mind.

@Vince- I have to imagine people are more hostile towards you in Chapel Hill than they are towards me in Columbus. Way to represent! Like you, I make sure to wear UK gear to class very frequently, and in my 3 years at Ohio State, they just recently started acting hostile towards UK. I can’t imagine what motivated them to all-of-the-sudden hate Kentucky……hahaha