Tony Parker to UCLA

The slightly rich got slightly richer when Tony Parker committed to UCLA after a 57-minute press conference from his school. That’s right — 57 minutes of talking before he announced that he’ll be joining Shabazz Muhammad and Kyle Anderson in Bruins uniforms.

UCLA now has the No. 2 recruiting class in the country and everyone who attended Parker’s announcement is in trouble with their families for being late for dinner.

Article written by Drew Franklin

44 Comments for Tony Parker to UCLA

1. Anthony Davis Armpit
    5:08 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

Will be interesting to see how those 3 huge egos will work together.

2. jbone
    5:09 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

I would have stayed with the Spurs

3. barn
    5:10 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

crap. come on ant bennett

4. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    5:11 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

1) why do you say they have huge egos? kinda sounds bitter on your part, just saying.

5. blueinmemphis
    5:14 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

Something in this picture doesn’t go together. Can you guess what it is?

6. James K
    5:14 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

I think Parker is a tad overrated, personally. I was relieved when I found out Cal wasn’t recruiting him. I’m not saying he can’t be good in the future, but it’s going to take a lot of hard work for him to be a pro. Just my opinion.

It’s not we didn’t know Parker wasn’t going to be a Cat; so it’s not really sour grapes. I’m not in love with Amille Jefferson’s game, either.

7. what???
    5:17 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

What is it #5? What doesn’t go together?

8. cweb22
    5:18 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

at James K

I would have to agree with you on T.Parker, nothing in his games makes me think UK needs him like we need a Noel, I will take A.Bennett over this kid, but I wish Parker and the boys out west good luck, would like to play them in March

9. who cares
    5:18 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

oh no…we lost a player we didnt even want to a school we’ll never end up playing against…the horror

10. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    5:21 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

I don’t really know what 5 is talking about, but it looks like Kyle Anderson’s head was photoshopped in

11. theremainsofcobainshead
    5:22 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

i see him being a temperamental cry baby much like Rinardo (spelling?) Sydney…great talent but a butterball that would be a liability when it comes to endurance getting up and down the floor

12. Han
    5:26 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

Well, here’s where Howland can show if he can handle the top talent. If they implode again with that recruiting class, he’s gotta be done.

And Cal has set the bar very high now by winning a title with frosh and sophomores. No more excuses for these coaches that manage monster recruiting classes but don’t win equally big.

13. UK
    5:27 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

4. egos not necesarily being bad, just that Bazz, Anderson, and Parker are all used to being the star, as evidenced by Parker’s hour long announcement and Bazz and Anderson’s want to shoot 30 shots a game…Parker was also called lazy by guys at the McDonalds game including KSR friend Evan Daniels

14. blueinmemphis
    5:29 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

#10 FTW. Actually was going to say a 4th graders head photoshopped in.

Plus, he’s got a miniature wizard’s orb between his thumbs.

15. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    5:30 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

13) don’t necessarily disagree, but every kid being recruited by these schools were stars in high school. No doubt that Shabazz is used to shooting a lot and Parker is gonna need to lose some weight to shed that “lazy” tag, but everything I’ve heard about Anderson has been glowing. As far as the press conference goes, I would guess that most of the blame should go towards the school and his parents with how long it ran. It just kind of annoys me to hear people justify UK “not wanting” a player after he picks another school. People act like at the last minute Calipari didn’t want Shabazz at UK, which we know is insane.

16. Joe
    5:33 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

Can’t wait to see the punishment for Shabazz for the illegal financing of his trips to NC and Duke. Will he miss any games? I think there is more to uncover, and I am glad that he didn’t come to UK. I see OJ Mayo all over again. Just my opinion.

17. Anthony Bennett
    5:34 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

The insider article says that Parker’s commitment means that UCLA will over takes us for the #1 class

18. blueinmemphis
    5:36 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

Remember when we had Billy G? We didn’t worry about what other teams had because we had nothing, and much more nothing coming out of middle school.

19. All Kentucky Fans
    5:37 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

Dear 2012 UCLA Recruting Class,

Have fun filling up the stadium. We will be hanging up #9.

Sincerely,

Kentucky Wildcats Fans

20. E
    5:38 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

UK twin towers > UCLA twin twinkies

Seriously name the last overweight 6’9 guy who lived up to the hype. I’ll wait.

21. MKG fan
    5:38 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

Those guys are going to get so many ecstasy massages when they go clubbin’ in LA.

22. DHo
    5:41 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

Screw tem guyz… put ’em on the schedule!

23. NBAcommisioner
    5:41 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

Parker couldn’t run in the cats system anyway. The kid tires out quick Cal would have had to hire the energizer bunny to follow him around. Now that’s the kid Cal should sign. Is it my imagination or is their faces photoshopped in that pic? I’m trying to get Wiltjers face photoshopped onto Metta World Peaces body for the playoffs so he can get in some more cheap shots before the season is over.

24. BlueinKy
    5:42 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

THEY ARE ALL PHOTOSHOPPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

25. Ville Cat
    5:43 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

You have to give props to UCLA for this class after a year like they just had. Obviously time will tell if they turn out to be really good or not.
    I’m just Hoping we bring A. Bennett on board b/c that kid tops off this class in a major way. Any one else to me is icing on the cake! GO CATS!!!

26. CatScracther
    5:45 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

Am I the only one excited to see ryan harrow in action?

27. Bobby Knight's Red Nose
    5:53 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

Why in my day, you could buy a recruit for a John Deere tractor or a nice new barn. I wonder what it cost UCLA to snag all 3?

28. CliffFrankLou
    6:01 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

Now the pressure will really be on Howland to win.

29. yep
    6:33 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

I am not even going to read the other comments….but if you watched the all-star games Tony Parker is not as good as he is talked up to..I think he got swatted like 12 times in the Jordan brand classic. He is completely out of shape and really impressed none of the big guns who were at the mcdys practice…enough said moving on..

30. 00BBN00
    7:13 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

These guys are going to be SSSSSSSSLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW!!! If UK did play them, then the Cats would run them out of the building!

31. Hoosier Wild Cat
    7:28 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

They signed a VERY nice class. What they don’t have is coach Cal to coach these kids and make a team out of them. That is the #1 best thing he does. We still need Bennett and another GOOD guard to make the final four. Go get um coach!!! All you IU & UL fans stay off this site. Your commits hide you like a elephant is short grass.

32. Big Blue 66
    7:30 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

Ben Howland is Nick Nolte in blue chips

33. snoopaloop
    7:45 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

I am struggling to find out what is so impressive about Tony Parker. He is severely out of shape. He has a worse body than what Jared Sullinger came into college with but he lacks the offensive skill set.

34. emac
    7:58 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

I smell an investigation coming. UCLA #1 recruiting class???? Did Wooden come back to coach?

35. orlando
    7:59 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

20-not trying to troll or anything, but there’s a guy at Ohio State named Jared Sullinger who’s pretty good.

Pumped for next year, I think Archie Goodwin’s gonna be a monster

36. 44 Stitches
    8:24 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

I’ve followed Tony Parker since he was a freshman at Miller Grove High down here right outside Atlanta. Parker was a BEAST as a ninth grader. Unfornately Parker hasn’t gotten much better since his freshman year. If anything he looks like his “motor” has slowed and he got content. If you saw Parker play as a freshman you couldn’t help but think this kid was going to be all world. Now some nights he can look like Draymod Green and some nights he can look like Renardo Sydeny. I too was shocked like other people have mentioned that Cal offerd him a scholly. I follwed the Atlanta Journal’s live blog of his press conference. The local sports writers were straight busting on him for taking so long. It was unreal how many people spoke before he revealed his choice.

37. kentuckyrules
    8:39 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

yawn…good to know some of the roster for next year’s NIT ….

38. Ridge Runner
    9:02 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

UCLA is number 1 now according to ESPN. Have not looked at Rivals or anywhere else. Just out of the blue UCLA gets this class and Howland hanging on by the thread of his recruiting teeth.

Something smells….amiss.

Oh well…once Bennett makes his ever loving mind up (about what I don’t know), we will be back at 1.

39. JR
    9:24 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

UCLA will be in trouble in less than 5 years. Watch.

40. Suffo-Cats
    9:32 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

He’s a good player not great….. wish him well but I’d rather have Anthony Bennett with one leg. I watched 2 of the Miller Grove games on ESPN and he didn’t look so good against equivalent competition. Easy to bulldoxe high school kids but Parker is the type that will struggle with better competition. If Howland was smart that kid would have 2 hours of cardio a day and wouldn’t see a carbohydrate until after he left school!

41. Anthony Davis Armpit
    9:24 am April 24, 2012 Permalink

#4 – Not saying they aren’t great players. In fact they are, and I would love to have Bazz at UK. But, Bazz seems like a guy who wants his and Anderson seemed like a “me first” player in the McD’s and Jordan games. I just don’t see a team chemistry here. A great recruiting class for UCLA, most definitely.

42. Laker Cat 18
    9:31 am April 24, 2012 Permalink

The kid looked slow and lazy the few times I’ve watched him play. No offense to him and I wish him the best of luck, but he’s a tad overrated.

43. BingleJells
    9:41 am April 24, 2012 Permalink

Parker will rack up huge points against match-ups who are smaller and weaker than him.

I dunno–not sure I’d want to play for Howland, but whatever floats your L.A. boat….

44. Laker Cat 18
    4:38 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

If Howland can’t make a run with these guys, he doesn’t deserve to be a Division-1 coach. Pressure is on.