Tony Greene is Doing the Stanky Leg in Lexington

greene

The referees for Saturday’s game have been released tonight and the news is not good from the average UK fan’s perspective. Tony Greene, Jamie Luckie and Michael Stephens will be calling the game between the Cats and the Cards on Saturday. Everyone knows Greene’s name as he is notorious for making UK fans angry. Coaches tend to like him and he has a good reputation, but when questionable calls have come UK’s way, Tony Greene does seem to be disproportionately involved. As one of my followers on Twitter also notes however, Luckie should also not be considered a treat. In two years of calling UK games, the Cats are just 5-4 when he is in the building, meaning if nothing else, he is a bad luck charm.

It still shouldn’t matter, as UK is a lot better than the Cards, but it isn’t the best news.

Article written by Matt Jones

32 Comments for Tony Greene is Doing the Stanky Leg in Lexington

1. Vols = Convicts
    10:32 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

Refs suck.

2. Nassau65
    10:35 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

It really shouldn’t matter. Loserville is -can we say “overated”-point blank, period. Besides that, Tards don’t travel well-especially in Rupp. Ask Dickie V.

3. JollyOleElf
    10:37 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

Will take more than a friendly whistle to help the Cards

4. FrigFullofBeer
    10:37 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

We need to start an “MVP MVP MVP” chant when Kidd-Gilchrist at foul line Saturday!!! Then Denny’s better clap clap clap clap clap” Ole Ricky would love that…. 😉

5. Carl
    10:39 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

Back when I had more time and the stats were available I charted our win/loss percentage when John Clougherty was referreeing our games. Our win percentage was 6% less…and that’s over a 10-15 year period. He did not like Kentucky. He was the one that gave Sheppard a “T” for hanging on the rim in the Arkansas game. That was typical Clougherty..and he lived in the same neighborhood as Billy Packer. Packer was probably mowing his lawn to get him to make tough calls against us. But I’m not bitter or anything.

6. John Travolta
    10:40 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

Looks like he is doing the “hustle” in your 1970s arena.

7. Japrick
    10:46 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

This game makes me nervous.

8. blitzedanddazed
    10:56 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

Jamie Luckie is a reincarnation of Curtis Shaw, i.e…a total prick. UK fans can thank Gerald Boudreaux for these three Big East officials being assigned to this game. The three most important things to Jamie Luckie is being loved by Rick Pitino, getting paid and getting noticed. Stephens whistle is controlled by Tony Greene. What a nightmare this Saturday is going to be with these Officials calling the game.

9. Jimmy Dykes
    11:04 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

My Keys to the Game:
    -Kentucky needs a shadow defender on Kuric
    -Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Doron Lamb, and Darius Miller need to drive the nail and get to the stripe
    -When U of L brings the pressure, no live ball turnovers
    -Hot dogs
    -Get to that first class part of my plane
    -Play with a big valentine
    -Finally, perception will become reality when Cal continues to own Rupp Arena and Pitino

10. John Travolta
    11:04 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

I have nothing better to do than make comments about Rupp Arena. Our men’s soccer team isn’t playing anymore. L yes

11. blitzedanddazed
    11:05 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

#5 Don Rutledge and John Clougherty are the two most hated Officials in the history of SEC Basketball.

12. Sabre Tooth Liger
    11:12 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

this is just something else to blame a loss or a close game on…..Refs matter but dont decide games. Yes in the Indiana game they were a factor calling the charges when they werent charges that limited Davis from being on the court….but not a reason why we lost that game.

13. Tennessee Wildcat
    11:15 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

We are used to battling 8 versus 5 anyway. I have always said that we just don’t get the home court advantage that the other elite schools do. I feel that a lot of it has to do with how loud the crowd is, as it probably is hard to not get swayed if you are in a smaller arena. Either way, we have superior talent, should do just fine against loserville and hopefully will win this one walking away. We should be prepared for a closely called game, though.

14. blitzedanddazed
    11:16 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

Can someone post who the Official was that called a technical on Calipari the other night.

15. nolablue
    11:21 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

Dear John Travolta, At least one of the largest companies in our town didn’t lay off about 40% of their employees
    so they could pay for naming rights on a big aluminum trailer for Colonel Cryptkeeper and The Chicken Bucket Chumps.
    What’s your sales tax downtown to pay for that thing these days anyway? 10%? And what is it with
    Tardnation and white suits, anyway? First Colonoel Cryptkeeper, now Johnny T?

16. Dennis Weaver
    11:24 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

Dude, I personally could punch Luckie right in the mouth. That technical he called on Liggins two years ago against in the Elite 8 still chaps my ass.

17. 44 Stitches
    11:24 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

@5… John Clougherty HAHAAAH I haven’t thought about that old bum in forever.

18. DirtyD
    11:28 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

Big jorts is playing some good minutes tonight !!!

19. capt. price
    11:29 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

So get them the hell out of there. Get us new refs before saturday. There should be plenty of time for the change.

20. Go Big Blue
    11:33 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

Coach Cal is powerful enough that he can get Greene assigned elsewhere. Let’s hope he exercises his power.

21. you'll get nothing and like it
    1:16 am December 30, 2011 Permalink

come on guys only the tard fans would already start complaining about the refs before the game, they wont be a factor. cats win by 9. i really think it could be 29, just depends on who shows up. just watched mardi gras miracle on roku, that was awesome i always love watching that, remember exactly where i was and what i was doing the night of thay game

22. fake TRUFE
    1:34 am December 30, 2011 Permalink

I thank that errybidy perdictin da cods ta loose by a bunch is yall be puttin too much pressure on ya sackboys. yall should be sayin its gone be a fight. thas wat happening to ya at indiana. see what i mean?

23. Cutis Shaw
    5:02 am December 30, 2011 Permalink

Put me in Coach. Cats were only 8-8 in games I ref. sinced 2000. Hey and I T-ed up Bogans (twice), Tubby (twice), Liggins, Bradley, Daniels, Allison, Stone, and Ast. Coach Hobbs. Yeah, you better believe I could affect a game! And John Wall, I still should’ve kick you out of that West Virginia game. I chased Wall all over the Court during a TV timeout just waiting for him to make my day.

24. Jamie Luckie
    5:09 am December 30, 2011 Permalink

Don’t forget Curtis, I was part of the crew in the West Virginia game! I got me some T action against Liggins last year in the Vandy game. Yeah, you better believe I can affect a game too!

25. Tony Greene
    5:20 am December 30, 2011 Permalink

Where’s the love? I’ve brought home 27 loses for those stinking Cats, and T-ed up Cousins three times in one season!

26. Michael Stephens
    5:23 am December 30, 2011 Permalink

Sorry guys, I got nothing! Cats are undefeated in my games. Maybe this is the year I can screw those cheating Cats.

27. Tony Greene
    6:17 am December 30, 2011 Permalink

Look for KENTUCKY to get numerous bogus charge/foul calls (esp. MKG); plus, plenty of no-calls when the CATS are fouled.

28. 8.5Outlaw
    8:49 am December 30, 2011 Permalink

29. Winston Churchill
    9:44 am December 30, 2011 Permalink

12) Many people think this way, and I will never understand it. Are refs THE determining factor in a game? No. Are they A determining factor? Of course they are.

Remember the NBA ref who admitted to being on the take? Why did anyone pay him, and continue to pay him, if he didn’t influence games? Why did the NBA investigate and fire him if he didn’t influence games?

Refereeing isn’t everything, but it is certainly a significant factor.

30. kyfan32
    10:22 am December 30, 2011 Permalink

Seems to me you said the same thing about IU, Cats where much better and IU had no chance of winning the game……

31. Hambone
    11:52 am December 30, 2011 Permalink

Green is a terrible ref. He really is. He consistently makes questionable and weird calls in every game he works — not just at UK. If you really pay attention to him you will notice this. There are often calls that are blatantly wrong or just made-up.

32. bcmerr
    6:24 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

Oh, poor us. UK is always lynched by the establishment, you know like that one time we paid a bunch of players off and got caught fixing exams for players. Who do they think they are? Pfft…