Tomorrow’s CBSSports.com poll should be fun

The Jeff Goodman Band continues to roll out the results from its poll of coaches over the July AAU circuit. Today’s edition, “How deep is the relationship between agents and AAU programs?,” isn’t all that exciting, but get ready for more fireworks tomorrow.

On Thursday, CBSSports.com’s college basketball team will unveil the answers to another controversial question:

Who’s the best at bending the rules but not breaking them?

In other words, “Hey, [underachieving coach] of [mediocre basketball program], which opposing coach gets under your skin because he lands all the recruits you salivated over?”

Can’t wait for this one.

Mike DeCourcy, thoughts?

Article written by Drew Franklin

20 Comments for Tomorrow’s CBSSports.com poll should be fun

1. Dear IU and UL, We are National Champs; you are not. The end.
    11:55 am August 15, 2012 Permalink

Good thing we are all in agreement that you need proof to make claims about someone’s character.

2. Han
    11:55 am August 15, 2012 Permalink

Shocking how this question is obviously designed to target Cal, though one wonders how he could bend rules without breaking them and still be seen as a cheater.

Meanwhile, UNC just gave an A+ in Independent Study to a Golden Retriever they heard can play ball.

3. rawromgmoo
    11:58 am August 15, 2012 Permalink

#2) LOL

4. Joker Blows
    12:14 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

“bending rules”….no such thing. Rules are black and white. You follow them or you break them. If you “bend the rules” as dip weed says it, means they are following the rules but he doesn’t like it. So he says, BENDS the RULES.

5. what the what
    12:31 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

Why the hell are you even on this blog? I’ve never been on another team’s sports blog, ever. Not one tiny bit of desire to ever visit another site. Why? Because the Cats are the $h!t. Why are you on here? Jealousy bro. Jealousy.

6. what the what
    12:33 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

well they already took that other comment down. now i look like a schizo.

7. bmt22033
    12:36 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

@6 – I saw it. I can vouch for you… 😉

8. Big Blue B-Rad
    12:44 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

5) So an IU fan constantly goes on a UK fansite to bitch and moan to UK fans about “Vac8” like that makes you sound tough, and you have the balls to call US insecure? Dude, look in the mirror and realize you have absolutely no life and you have nothing better to do but take a break from riding your tractor around to come on here and shoot your mouth off.

Btw, (That’s by the way in case you were too slow to figure that out), at least none of our coaches ever choked their players or threw a chair across the floor. Get a life moron.

9. what the what
    12:49 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

I was sounding off about a guy who posted right before me, but they took his comment down. I’m big blue until die. You need to relax.

10. bmt22033
    12:51 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

Breaking news! The NCAA announces that they will be hosting an anonymous coaches poll to determine who/what they should investigate! I haven’t seen the ballot but the rumored selections are:

A. The winner of the 2012 NCAA Mens Basketball Championship
    B. The program with the most all-time wins
    C. Any division I program located in Lexington, KY
    D. Wherever John Calipari is cheating these days
    E. Anywhere but UNC

11. Big Blue B-Rad
    12:55 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

Looks like I was responding to the comment that had already been taken down too. So 7 can you vouch for me too? haha

12. bmt22033
    1:00 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

Check out this article about Missy Franklin receiving a six figure payout for her Olympic gold medals as it relates to her retaining her NCAA amatuerism status (and the comments below re: Enes Kanter)…

Thanks, Warren. To be clear as to my client, Enes, he never received cash payments that could not be reconciled with NCAA-permissible expenses (“actual and necessary”) despite reports to the contrary. Fenerbahce actually owed the Kanters money for reimbursement of permissible expenses over the three years that Enes played with the Turkish club. The NCAA produced an overage in money based on the following:

1) The NCAA would not look at monies owed versus received over Enes’ three years with Fenerbahce. The NCAA would only look at each individual year, so if Fenerbahce owed the Kanters $50K in food/housing, etc., from the first year, that was not looked in totality with the third year where reimbursement from the prior two years was considered. In other words, Enes was only found to have an overage in his final year with Fenerbahce. The Club owed the Kanters money from years one and two.

2) The NCAA used the national statistics for Turkey on valuation of the expenses. I used an Economist Intelligence Unit Report and Numbeo to get cost of living in the Kadikoy District in Istanbul. National statistics takes into account sheep herders on the border with Iraq. So, obviously, the NCAA’s numbers were severely deflated.

3) The NCAA did not allow us to claim educational expenses since Fenerbahce gave money to Dr. Kanter to pay for tutors, etc. The NCAA only allows expenses on education if the club pays the educational provider directly.

4) The NCAA would only allow expenses to be claimed for the basketball season itself, no preseason/training.

Thus, the unfortunate case of Enes, son of a RN and a university dean/professor, who just wanted to play college ball in the US.

13. bmt22033
    1:00 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

Doh! Here’s the link to that Missy Franklin article:

14. Han
    1:00 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

10) I’ve discovered an email sent by the NCAA:

The NCAA doesn’t have the resources to go looking for violations, but when they’re brought to our attention, we will investigate and issue a ruling immediately if the school in question is UK. Otherwise, the resources simply aren’t available. And if you tell the NCAA about violations, well, you are clearly just a rival fan with a vested interest and whether you are correct or not, we will not take part in witch hunts…wait, did you say you have proof Calipari is a witch? GET THE TORCHES! We must protect the sanctity of student athletes!

15. Duke Sucks
    1:01 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

OK the truth is Cal probably does toe the line. So what that is what a good coach does learn the rules and go as far as you can with out crossing the line. That just part of coaching under the crazy NCAA rules.

16. Big Blue B-Rad
    1:01 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

9) I know that now. I was responding before they took the comment down. My bad

17. Big Blue B-Rad
    1:01 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

10) very true!

18. Big Blue B-Rad
    1:02 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

14) lol

19. G2 Blog
    1:25 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

After last week’s ridiculous “cheating” poll, I called Goodman out on Twitter, to which he engaged a little bit, but told me not to let facts get in the way of my story after I jokingly said “hey, a third straight poll designed to call out Calipari” – when, really, it was the second in a row, which Goodman didn’t deny. Looks like I knew there were more coming. Goodman decided to block me on Twitter. I say BBN hammers him with a hashtag – #FreeG2 … anyone game? Ha.

20. what the what
    2:53 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

16) it’s all good man. we had the same little mix up. those damned hoosiers.